Outlander (Outlander #1) Outlander discussion

Can it possibly get better than the 1st and 2nd books?

Comments (showing 101-144 of 144) (144 new)    post a comment »
1 3 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 101: by Joana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joana Virginia wrote: "Joana wrote: "I started the series last year and so far I adored the first 3 novels, and even though the 4th one was also good, I'm scared it will get old. How is the fiery cross? I wanna buy it, b..."

Yeah at first when I read the excerpts in Diana's site I feared it would turn to be a bit dull, since Drums of Autumn was the slowest of them all...But after reading abit more I got really excited again and I hope I'll enjoy it, because the series is really amazing! Outlander and Voyager were by far the best for me and I could not put it down until I finished it terribly quickly... I will let you know, thanks! :)

message 102: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I started this series back in the mid 90's, and I have only finished the first five. I don't think I could pick a favorite, but it did take me quite awhile to get into "Fiery Cross". I love huge novels like these that get the reader involved in the intricate details of the characters and the history of the era and region. I agree though, you have to have time to devote to these books, you can't just pick them up for a couple of pages and put them down.

I've tried to read the Lord John books, and I just don't like them. I was disappointed that I didn't fall in love with the characters like I did in the "Outlander" books.

I will definately look for the book by Dorothy Dunnett that was recommended.

message 103: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane I feel the same way about the Lord John books. The Scottish Prisoner was not bad but still was not as good as any of the Outlander books even though it was half Jamie. I am surprised that you have not finished the series having started so long ago. I couldn't stop once I got started.

message 104: by Lynda (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynda I've read the first three books in the Outlander series and I found Voyager good, but it seemed to drag on a bit until the pace picked up and a bit of action came along. I've shelved the other four that I have sitting nearby, just to take a break. I've switched gears to an erotic read set in the present, and then I plan on returning to the fourth one in her series. I purchased the Outlandish Companion and absolutely love the behind the scenes glimpse into the characters, as well as the definition behind some of the herbs and medicines as well as the indepth character analysis of Jamie and Claire! I recommend it to anyone who is a huge fan of the series!

message 105: by Joana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joana My personal favorite was Outlander, but Voyager was also really good! Drums of Autumn got a little slower, but I can't wait to read Fiery Cross :)

Kristie I broke my leg last summer and wanted a book that would last more than a few days - I started this series and LOVED it! Can't wait for the new one - another good series on this line is the wilderness series. It even mentions claire and Jamie in it.

message 107: by Bridget (new) - rated it 1 star

Bridget Easily. This was one of the worse books I have ever read. Anything they do differently will be a major improvement.

message 108: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Bridget wrote: "Easily. This was one of the worse books I have ever read. Anything they do differently will be a major improvement."

Which book did you think was the worst? I love all the Outlander books but can't imagine plowing through anything that long if I felt it was the worst book I ever read.

message 109: by Blaire (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blaire Morgan wrote: "I read Outlander a few months ago and have been a little hesitant to read the rest of the series. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely loved the first one, but I dont see how it could get better. Part o..."

Oh it does! I've read the series several times, but still come back to the 1st now and aagain. Read the series, the story is amazing and exciting!

message 110: by Blaire (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blaire Leyoh wrote: "These book are a lifetime commitment. I'm on the Fiery Cross now and will be so sad to get to the end of the Outlander Series. There is The Lord John Grey series though - has anyone tried those?"

I've read a few, I surprisingly enjoyed them. I wouldn't reread them, but they are good fillers while waiting for another of her books to come out :)

message 111: by Blaire (new) - rated it 5 stars

Blaire So, can anyone recommend other authors like Diana out there? Or any characters that compare to Jamie and Claire...mostly Jamie, haha!

message 112: by Jerelyn (last edited May 25, 2012 06:38PM) (new) - added it

Jerelyn Blaire wrote: "So, can anyone recommend other authors like Diana out there? Or any characters that compare to Jamie and Claire...mostly Jamie, haha!"

You don't ask for much do you? :) I would wholeheartedly recommend,the Into the Wilderness series, by Sara Donati. Donati even mentions Jamie and Claire in the first book. Donati was a consultant to Gabaldon in Native American linguistics. Donati's book are a continuation of James Fenimore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans, telling the story of Hawkeye and Cora's son Nathaniel and his family,it is an excellent series!

message 113: by Lana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lana I'm reading the Lord John Grey series now. Not as good as Outlander, but still a decent read.

message 114: by Heidi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi The books are amazing! I have read all but Echo in the Bone. My favorite title has to be The Fiery Cross. I would tell you more but that would be cheating...lol.
Kyla wrote: "Hey all,

I just started the Outlander series and cant take my eyes out of the book!! I am just about to finish Dragonfly in Amber and cant imagine there to be 6 more book to read in the series!!!!..."

message 115: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Heidi wrote: "The books are amazing! I have read all but Echo in the Bone. My favorite title has to be The Fiery Cross. I would tell you more but that would be cheating...lol.
Kyla wrote: "Hey all,

I just sta..."

I liked The Firey Cross too but it is funny that a lot of people think it is the weakest in the series. I loved all the books Outlander being my favorite and Voyager being my next favorite.

message 116: by Heidi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi Have you read Echo in the Bone yet? I am in the middle of rearranging my house and have misplaced my copy-oh the horror!

message 117: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane I LOVE Echo! Yeah I have read them all and love them all. The lord John books do not grab me so much but they are ok. I'd find that copy ASAP if I were you unless you have already read it.

message 118: by M. (last edited Jul 11, 2012 10:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. No matter how frustrated I got with this series there is no denying that the books are bloody addictive. I had to take a break from it. I stopped mid Voyager because I got upset with some spoiler I read (I know, dumb of me to go reading spoilers). But I can't stop thinking about it. That is when you know that a story is good, even when it pisses you off, you can't stop reading it.
Another writer who evoked those kind of feelings in me was Marion Zimmer Bradley, one of my favorite authors of all times.

message 119: by Kathy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy I enjoyed all of them with the exception of the last book, which I eventually put down without finishing. The first was my favorite!

message 120: by Heidi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi Michelle wrote: "No matter how frustrated I got with this series there is no denying that the books are bloody addictive. I had to take a break from it. I stopped mid Voyager because I got upset with some spoiler I..."

I love Mists of Avalon! I think that I have read it 10 times and it gets better every time. I have yet to read the others...hmmm will have to get them after I finish the Outlander series.

message 121: by Susan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan Am re-reading the series in preparation for the upcoming release of #8. My favorites were the first 4. I found the #5 and #6 a bit slower to get through, but enjoyed #7.

message 122: by M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M. Heidi wrote: "Michelle wrote: "No matter how frustrated I got with this series there is no denying that the books are bloody addictive. I had to take a break from it. I stopped mid Voyager because I got upset wi..."

In the Avalon series, Mists is the best book. You must read Firebrand, it's about the Trojan war. I enjoyed that one a lot.
I also read her Darkover series. One of my favorites.

message 123: by Criss (new) - rated it 5 stars

Criss I have read the whole series so far. Outlander is the only one I can read again and again. I started reading it about ten years ago and just like other series there are some books I like better than others. I read them for Claire and later Brianna... So I never really wanted to read the lord John books. .. Oh and the books tend to get longer and longer I'm scared to see how long the next one will be and the cost!!

message 124: by Fawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fawn I have read all of them and I am now listening to them all via audio, but I have to say I can pick up any of the books at any time in any place in the book and start reading. That I think is very rare. (Btw this includes the Lord John series even though they are not quite the same as the Outlander seris. good writing is good writing)

message 125: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol I loved every one of them!!

message 126: by Heidi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi Has anyone else read The Exile? It combines two of my favorite things, graphic novels and the Outlander series!

message 127: by Fawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fawn Yes, I have read The Exile. It does give us in site from Jamie's point of view as apposed to Claire's. So that I liked. I thought the characters looked to much alike so it was hard for me to keep track of who was talking to who. I think it was fun in that it was something Diana Gabaldon wanted to do. But I love the books so much more then the Graphic Novel.

Jennifer Garcia Morgan wrote: "I read Outlander a few months ago and have been a little hesitant to read the rest of the series. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely loved the first one, but I dont see how it could get better. Part o..."

I just read Outlander as well and I feel the same. I haven't gone on to DiA yet because I'm too afraid to.

Jennifer Garcia Krista wrote: "Honestly?? If you enjoy Jamie and Claire's epic love story, then STOP after book #4. I found Firey Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes sometimes PAINFUL to get through. I appreciate Gabaldon's att..."

I was told by someone that has read them all, that books 1-4 could actually stand alone. I LOVED Outlander and am so afraid of DiA because I made the mistake of reading reviews and I saw that it was a bit heartbreaking. IDK... I love her writing and ability to take us into the story as if we were there, but I loved Claire and Jamie so much that I don't want to read their future if it's not as good.

The only thing in Outlander that left me a bit bothered was all of the trouble they found. I swear every time they turned around one of them was in trouble. It didn't ruin the book for me or anything, but it seemed a bit too much. Either way, I loved it.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get there and put my big girl pants on and read the rest of them.

message 130: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni My totally favorite of all-time series. I have completely replaced Outlander, Dragonfly, and Voyager four times because I've worn them out reading them.

I absolutely love this entire series. It feels real and I mourn Jaime and Claire and their family while I'm waiting for the next book to arrive.

Jennifer Garcia gertt wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "but I loved Claire and Jamie so much that I don't want to read their future if it's not as good...."

Jamie and Clair's future is never simple, but it's always good....keep reading..."

Thanks gertt... I'll keep trucking along! :D

message 132: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane I'm rereading the series, too. I am struggling with Fiery Cross and remember that i struggled wtih it the first time. It just seems so dragged out. There are good bits, like Jocasta's wedding, but a lot of it is a real slog for me. Outlander is my favourite, and I did like Echo quite a lot as well. Loved Dragonfly but only loved the first half of Voyager. Didn't overly care for Drums though it wasn't as much of a struggle as Fiery Cross and i seem to recall i liked Snow and Ashes at least better than FC.

message 133: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane I am listening to Firey Cross right now and I am fine with it. I love how DG shows everyday life and concerns of the time then with bits of excitement thrown in there. Most of the story up until now has been one crazy thing after another in the other books. Nobody's life is non stop adventure and it is nice to have a bit of a rest from it. Firey Cross brings the characters back into a "real" place. Some things just are the intimate personal mundane parts of life like having your period, breasts leaking milk, worrying about birth control or using wet leaves to wipe a baby's butt during the diaper change. I like the glimpse into everyday life but am glad the whole series is not that way.

message 134: by Fawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fawn Diane wrote: "I am listening to Firey Cross right now and I am fine with it. I love how DG shows everyday life and concerns of the time then with bits of excitement thrown in there. Most of the story up until no..."

I agree Diane. We're not just told it is the 1770's but how everyday life was like in the 1770's. It really shows the conveniences that Clair and Rodger willingly left to be with the love of their lives.

message 135: by Pipkia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pipkia So hard to choose! Probably Outlander and Voyager--I wasn't sure about Voyager at first, and I fekt irrationally angry at Jamie for the first 300 or so pages, but the last half(!) is possibly my favourite section from any book. Ever.

message 136: by Penny (last edited Feb 03, 2016 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Penny I bought the first 2 books from a book club magazine, years ago, as they came as a set (value for money I thought!!) and looked like they were OK!
When I got them I was blown away and hooked on the characters and story. I have read the whole series now 4 or 5 times and have to say I have loved every word!
However I have to be honest and say that for me, the first 2 books were the very best, with the uniqueness and excitement of the story, I just loved them to bits, but once I had read them I had to continue reading to find out what happened to Claire, Jamie and their family down the ages!!

message 137: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Personally , for me, I loved Outlander and then Voyager the best. It was harder for me to love the whole of Dragonfly because I am not interested in politics. The whole series was amazing and I am a true fan. I think I see the series as a whole and it is often hard for me to remember what happened in what book. There are exciting parts, heartbreaking parts, mundane parts and touching parts in each book and the series as a whole. I have found I am best with a series as a binge reader and develop an obsession when I read one book after another. It is much harder for me to feel that drive and addiction when there has been wait time between. Because I binge read the first 7 books I found those slower areas, where some people felt the drag, to be relaxing and beautiful in themselves because I needed a break from the non stop action. I am specifically thinking of the gathering in The Fiery Cross but there are other areas. I love the rereads also and always find things I didn't pick up on the first time but they also don't quite sweep me away like the first time I read the series. I know what will happen so I find myself anxious and excited to get to certain parts but it is not the same as the unknown of the first time. Before her next book comes out I am going to binge read the whole series so I have that obsession going into the next book.

message 138: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Jade Oh no! :( Just read this entire thread and am really sad to hear both Jaimie and Claire sleep with other people?? I just finished Outlander and wanted worthwhile opinion about continuing the series, but i dont want to invest further if im just going to be heartbroken or pissed. I despise infidelity.

message 139: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Don't think of it as infidelity - you have to look at the context in which it is presented. Remember there is time travel involved it this story.

Suzanna Maria I'm with you Bonnie. I have just finished book 1 after literally dragging myself away from The Bronze Horseman trilogy ( if you've not read TBH you MUST) and now I just don't know if I should continue onto book 2 even though I've bought it. Jamie is so loveable I don't think I could bear it ....I suppose I shouldn't have read this discussion....I'll think I'll try to forget the spoilers and just jump in, much the same as Claire did when she went through those stones.

message 141: by Diane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Keep going with the series. I loved the Bronze horseman also but not so much in the third book because of the change in character. There was not that same devoted love that they had in the beginning. This really never happens with Jamie and Claire. They are always devoted to each other 100%. Sure there are always ups and downs but nothing like the third book of TBH.

Suzanna Maria Thank you xx
I actually started book 2 last night and was unable to put it down...hence the tired look I have today ! Now you've reassured me that the love never dies (can't believe I actually wrote that) I will definitely continue...as if I have a choice. It is constantly on my mind. I know what you mean about The Summer Garden, it was soooo dissapointing after everything they'd been through but I have to admit I still am slightly obsessed with him. Jamie isna a bad distraction !

message 143: by Diane (last edited Mar 14, 2017 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane I am more obsessed with Jamie than Shura. I read Outlander first and TBH was my distraction while waiting for more Jamie. Voyager is my favorite in the Outlander series so definately keep going on to book 3 when you finish Dragonfly in Amber.

Suzanna Maria Well in that case you can have Jamie and I suppose I'll just have to make do with Shura LOL

1 3 next »

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)