Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2011 10:07AM) (new)

Has anyone else cooked from Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero? It has a ton of recipes I'd like to try. So far Ive made the Peruvian Seitan and Potato Skewers (Seitan Anticuchos) twice and they were excellent. I love the marinade, and so does my husband, Dave.

message 2: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1852 comments Mod
Bobbi, I own Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers by Terry Hope Romero, but I've yet to make anything from it. I read more than cook, and when I do cook, I tend to adapt. I rarely make anything exactly as it is on the page. I hope others will chime in on this thread though!

emszy | 60 comments I have made a lot from this book and everything is super yummy. It is a great cookbook.

I have made:
- Creamy Potato Peanut Stew (Guatita) with Pickled Red Onions
- Mashed Potato Pancakes (Llapingachos) with Peanut Sauce (Salsa de Mani) and Latin Baked Tofu
- Peruvian Seitan and Potato Stir-fry (Seitan Saltado)
- Potato-Chickpea Enchiladas with Green Tomatillo Sauce
- Seitan Chili Tamales
- Seitan Chili Arepas
- Arepas stuffed with Oyeter Mushrooms and Pimiento Peppers
- Arroz Con Seitan
- Spicy Tortilla Casserole with Roasted Poblanos
- Cuban “Ropa Vieja” Style Latin Shredded Seitan with - Yellow Rice with Garlic and Venezuelan-Style Black Beans (Caraotas)
- Chipotle, Seitan and Potato Tacos
- Chorizo-Spinach Sopes
- Café Con Leche Flan
- Coconut Tres Leches Cake

Everything was delicious. My advice is to pick a recipe and go for it - you won't be disappointed at all.

I have some photos and a book review on my blog: http://gourmetcaravan.blogspot.com/se...

Mandee from Cupcake Kitteh is also cooking her way through the book and has some yummy photos on her blog: http://cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com/sea...

Can you tell I love it? It is one of the best cook books I own!

message 4: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Nov 27, 2011 12:34AM) (new)

Emmy, Thanks for the feedback about this book. Please feel free to post links to your blog and Mandee's blog in this thread too! (f you haven't already):

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 27, 2011 03:59AM) (new)

Thanks for the feedback and links, Emmy. Your photos are fabulous!

Mands (MandsS) Thanks for linking to my blog, Emmy! <3

I've now made 124/150 recipes from Viva Vegan! so I have too many favourites to list but some of the best include:

Guatita
Green and Red posoles
Llapingachos
Sopes
Pupusas
Arepas (all of them!)
Tamales
Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Crepes

Almost everything from this book is amazingly good, everyone needs a copy ;)

message 7: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1023 comments Mod
Wow, initially I wasn't all that attracted to this book but now I'm reconsidering.

message 8: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lee wrote: "Wow, initially I wasn't all that attracted to this book but now I'm reconsidering."

Lee, I think you'd really like it! Not for the first time I wish we were closer neighbors so I could loan you my copy for you to check it out.

Don (BayfrontGuy) | 1219 comments Mod
I've made quite a few recipes from this book too. The tofu recipes are great, as are the bean recipes. The Creamy potato peanut stew is a fav.

One of these days I'll be brave and make tamales.

message 10: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Don, The tamales seemed surprisingly (to me) complicated, but they look delicious and the process could be fun, especially if the cooking was a shared experience.

Yeah, I think I have to reserve an afternoon and give it a try one day. I've noticed a lot of people make them around Christmas, but don't think I'll have my act together to make some. Maybe I'll had that to my goal list for next year. :)

message 12: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Dec 20, 2011 06:27AM) (new)

Don, I read a wonderful children's book, Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto, and it is about the tradition of families making tamales together at Christmas time, on Christmas Eve for Christmas day.

Interesting. On another website last year I remember a "what are you making for Christmas" and quite a bit of people said "tamales". I didn't know this.

message 14: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1023 comments Mod
I'm not a huge fan of tamales. When I lived in Costa Rica, everyone I worked with brought them to the office at Christmas time for weeks. It's a huge tradition to make huge batches of them and eat nothing else but I never could figure out the appeal.

message 15: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Dec 20, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

Lee, I love good (vegan) tamales but one or two every once in a while is enough for me. Weeks of eating them, I'd get really bored.

message 16: by Don (last edited Mar 19, 2012 12:55PM) (new)

basic onion sofrito -Maybe I didn't dice the veggies fine enough but I had way more than 1.5 cups. I would have blended it if my blender worked. Doesn't look or taste like the sofrito a PR co-worker gave me one time. Still it worked in the recipe I used it for, but now I have tons leftover. I might freeze it because that's what my coworker does.

Chorizo seitan sausages - that hard to make and very tasty. I followed the recipe precisely. Instead of the "annatto-infused oil" because I can't find annatto seeds but can find crushed, I used with grapeseed oil and crushed annatto seeds in it.

Steamed red seitan - I was quite pleased with how this turned out because it was very moist going into the steamer. It was a bit soft, but was good.

Creamy avocado tomato salsa (Venezuelan guasacaca) - I wasn't expecting much, other than a guacamole type salsa, but OMG the sum of these ingredients is equal to is parts because it came together so freakin' deliciously. I used lime juice and not vinegar and cut back on the onions some and used cilantro and not parsley and used tabasco for the hot optional hot sauce. Loved this.

Mexican side street corn -Delicious!!! I wasn't expecting much but was very pleasantly surprised. What I did was mix everything up before I slathered in on the corn. I used mayo, regular chile powder, some lime and crumbled up some Mexican oregano...the sum is much greater than the parts. And she's right, this is messy. Loved this.

Fresh gazpacho salsa dressing - Extremely delish! Mine came about a bit thin, but that didn't bother me so much. I used maybe 1/4 cup of onions rather than 1/2 cup because I don't like the strong taste of raw onion and all I had was yellow onion, not sweet like she calls for.

Tofu chicharrones - interesting mix of flavors, the smokey taste is strong and good. It was too greasy and next time I'll use less oil and just scramble it. I had to use a lot of paper towels to degrease it. I didn't use frozen tofu as I didn't plan ahead. I crumbled the tofu. I made it specifically for the dish below.

Hearty warm yuca and cabbage salad - I used potatoes because I had a bunch I needed to use, and the store didn't have yucca anyway, although I love yucca. I used it with the tofu chicharrones recipe from this book and this was one of those unexpected "OMG this is freaking awesome" dishes. The dressing is was amzaing and I'm going to make it again to use as an everyday salad dressing. Took all my willpower to stop eating and not devour the entire amount I cooked. Once the dressing was mixed with the tofu, the tofu went from meh to awesome.

Mango jicama chopped salad - Yummy! Pretty much a standard salad/salsa recipe, that I've made in similar variations, and I always love it. I didn't want to get fresh mint so I just used some dry and let it marinade for a bit.

Salvadorian marinated slaw (Curdito) - Quite good. I was impressed that a few ingredients came together well. I followed her technique of weighing them in two plastic bags in the fridge. I this really helps to bring the flavors together so the vinegar doesn't overpower it. The only change I made was I used 1 tsp of regular table salt because I don't have "coarse salt". Salt is important in this to draw out the juices but I think 1 tsp worked just fine. I made it very spicy with a whole fresh jalapeno rather than pickled ones.

Red beans with Dominican style sazon - Loved this. I chose the optional addition of orange juice and that was a poor choice for me, too fruity and sweet. That's not a reflection of the recipe but personal tastes and I like beans hot and spicy. I was generous with the hot sauce on this and the orange juice interfered. I used a poplano pepper instead of a cubanelle She cooks the heck out of the sazon 12 minutes in the fryer and 30 minutes with the beans.

Venezuelan style black beans (Caraotas) - pretty basic recipe if you ask me. I loved it though because being Floridian, this is the one Latin dish I've been exposed to over and over again. I like this version better than the Cuban style I'm used to. I added a jalpeno because beans need heat. It makes a ton and I'll be eating it for days.

Colombian style red beans
Fantastic!!! I had made a red bean dish earlier in the week so used two cans of low sodium black beans, didn't add any extra salt because the broth had salt. I used the slightly-ripe plantain like she suggested for more sweetness, but also added a chopped jalapeno for heat. I used only 1.5 cups of broth and cut down the cooking time to only 20 minutes...I though 40 minutes would have been too mushy for my tastes. I had the sofrito in the freezer from making a batch a while back, so this was a very easy dish to make. The combination of swet-hot and spicy was a winner.

Costa Rican refried rice and beans (Gallo pinto) - t's good..frying the rice gave it a bit of a geasy texture, but it was good...I used olive oil. I used red beans, and Thai chili's, and followed the recipe pretty faithfully, except I left out the salt because I used broth and canned beans that were salted.

Cilantro lime rice - Read a lot of good reviews on this one, but meh.......I think using brown rice in this recipe didn't work and made it weird. I also didn't have lime zest so added extra lime juice and over did it.

Zesty orange mojo baked tofu - made this meh for me is that it calls for soy sauce and then a teaspoon of salt which made it way too salty for my tastes. But it's my fault because she says "or to taste" and I should have left it out. I got a sense of deja vu eating this so I'm going to see if I reviewed it already.

Latin baked tofu - Quite good. I used white wine and didn't quite have 1/2 so diluted the 1/3 cup I had with water and it was good that way. Very interesting mix of flavors. I give it an A!

Latin shredded seitan - tasty. Not a "wow" but nothing bad to say about it either. The softness of it bugged me slightly, but I'm more about taste than texture in food anyway.

Seitan saltado (Peruvian seitan and potato stir fry) - I had red seitan in my freezer ready to go and this dish is freakin' good. Probably nowhere in this town is aji amarillo paste so I just used a jalapeno. Otherwise I was faithful to the recipe. I did not follow her serving instructions and instead mixed the potatoes in with the seitan mix at the very end. My only complaint is that it called for six tablespoons total of oil and I wished I'd cut that in half.

Pan fried tempeh with sofrito - I was wary of this because tempeh tends to absorb lots of grease when fried. Steaming for this recipe is essential. That said, this was a pretty tasty dish. I cubed the tempeh because that's how I roll with tempeh and I was generous with the oil for frying, trying not to be fat-phobic. After frying the tempeh I put it on a paper towel and used the wine to deglaze the frying pan (after emptying out the extra oil) which is using the wine out of order, but I proceeded and knocked about five minutes off the cooking time and it was all good. I'll have to look and see when I reviewed the sofrito because I'm still using that batch that I had frozen at that time and it was good.

Quick red posole with beans - Good. Tastes like everyday chili to me, probably because I used everyday chili powder instead of a Latin one, but there's no latin store close. The latin community is across the bay in Tampa. That said, I love chili and enjoyed this as well. I did use a poblano chile pepper, and I used broth instead of bear and only used about a quarter cup to keep it thick. There is no such thing as a 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes here only 28 oz., so I used two 14's with sauce and it was very tomatoey which I liked. Topped with avocado and broken taco shell.

Creamy potato peanut stew (Guatita) - I didn't know what to expect from this dish because it just seemed so with potatoes, peanut butter, milk, etc. I happened to have all the dozens of ingredients, (I used chick peas instead of soy curls (shudder) or TVP and can say it was freakin' good. Loved this. I only garnished it with cilantro and ate it stew like instead of the traditional way with a mound of rice,

Potato kale soup with sizzling chorizo - OMG this was fantastic. I followed the recipe precisely using red onions because that was all I had, and mustard greens. I think the mustard greens was good choice here because it have it as she says "a uniquely piquant" flavor. I think 3 tabelsppons of annato-infused oil to fry three links of seitan chorizo sausages made them too greasy. I put them on a paper towl to aboserb the excess grease. She does offer that you can just use sprayed oil for sauteeing them, and that's what I'd recommend. I think the soup would be good without the sausages, but with them it was fabulous,

Habanero melon papaya salsa - Very good side dish to go along with an Mexican meal. I liked the hot habanero and the sweetness of the fruit balanced with lime and scallions.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...

rice with pigeon peas - Crazy good...pretty simple...just throw stuff in a pan and bake it. I used brown rice and her instructions didn't get my rice done in an hour so I cranked the heat up and baked another 30 minutes and then it was good. I added some of her add ons...capers, green olives, squash (I used acorn) and roasted red peppers.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...

Sweet potato-chipotle bisque - Very good basic soup recipe. I used about a pound more potatoes and sweet potatoes than called for, and rather than mash I used a hand blender. I made a mistake and bought cream with French Vanilla, but had some coconut milk that was a good edition in making it creamy.

message 20: by Don (last edited Oct 13, 2013 04:38AM) (new)

Green posole seitan stew with chard and white beans - Very nice combination of ingredients that combine for a hearty and tasty dish. Instead of seitan I used Beyond Meat chicken and I used no beer and cut back 1/2 cup on the liquid. I didn't quite have enough pumpkin seeds and used a little sunflower seeds instead and that was fine.

message 21: by Don (last edited Oct 16, 2013 07:29AM) (new)

Crispy fried green plantains (tostones) - Her instructions were easy to follow and I enjoyed learning how to make them and eating them. I brought them to a picnic so the texture was a bit off after cooling and they were best when eaten fresh. To smash them I simply put them in between parchment paper and used a can of beans.

tostones with avocado and palm ceviche - Quick, easy and tasty combination of veggies and a tart dressing of lime juice, white wine vinegar and olive oil.

black bean-corn salsa salad - Pretty good. The fresh gazpacho salsa dressing that went with this is what makes the dish...otherwise it's corn, beans and salad.

The recipe can be found here: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/terry-ho...

The picture is the picnic I brought these dishes to...along with the Mediterranean white bean salad reviewed for Mouthwatering Vegan.

Delicious! The tasty ingredient in this is "aji amarillo" or Peruvian yellow pepper paste (which I buy from Amazon). The flavor combination is excellent. I used fresh raw corn, and a mix of salad greens and spinach.

Simple Latin tomato sauce - True to it's name, it's a simple Latin sauce and it's very good. I used diced tomatoes and did not puree.

Pupusas stuffed with black beans and plantains - Pretty good. I made only seven of them and used the extra dough to patched up holes. I had a huge amount of the filling left over, like about 2/3rds. I used the optional mozzarella option, but again no way did I use a cup. Maybe I didn't stuff them enough? Served with "simple latin tomato sauce".

calabacitas (Mixed squash saute) - Very good. Quick and easy to make, it has "summer squash" (like zucchini, yellow squash, etc. but I used chayote squash) and "winter squash" (I used butternut), tomatoes and optional corn (I used fresh off the cob).

The recipe can be found here: http://wootabix.wordpress.com/2010/09...

Peruvian red chile-corn salad with limas and cherry tomatoes -Tasty and uncomplicated salad. I substituted edamame for the limas because I don't like limas. The star here is the aji panca paste which has a nice flavor that is spicy/sweet/smoky that is unique to me.

I'm thinking this cookbook is one of my top five favorites of all time.

Cuban black bean soup - I'm surprised that I haven't made this before now, given my love for Cuban black bean soup. I love the simplicity of the ingredients, usually just cumin and maybe oregano. She doesn't complicate the recipe at all and stays relatively traditional. I purred a bit of the soup with an immersion blender, but not too much. I topped with white onions, as I've seen them do here in Florida.

recipe: http://relish.com/recipes/cuban-black...

quinoa-corn "chowder" with limas and aji - My version was not a chowder at all, but a nice thick pilaf-like dish. I used no oil so I didn't toast the quinoa as suggested. I used cannellini beans instead of lima beans (the only bean I hate) and used two cans instead of one. I cut back by one cup on the corn because 2 cups is all I had on hand and 3 cups would have been too much for my taste anyway. I accidentally forgot to add the milk/cream, but I was good with that and didn't correct myself when I discovered it. This made a very healthy and hearty main course.

message 26: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Both of those look amazing, Don. I also love Cuban black bean soup and would have done the exact same thing with the second dish. As you do, even with my soups, I like them thick.

Thanks Lisa!

hearty pumpkin and cranberry bean stew (porotos granados) - Very good dish with cranberry beans, a couple of spices (I accidentally used smoked paprika and didn't try to correct myself because I thought that would be o.k. and it was...she calls for sweet paprika). The pumpkin is a calabaza pumpkin and works well, but one can use any type of squash like butternut. I've never heard of cranberry beans until now and gave it a try. I almost failed because they cooked too fast and the bottom beans stuck to the pan and were mushy. I saved what I could and the result was good. It's topped with fresh basil which isn't shown in this pic.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers (other topics)
Too Many Tamales (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Terry Hope Romero (other topics)
Gary Soto (other topics)