The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP WINTER 2011 > 30.4 - Donna Jo's task: Double or Nothing

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Dec 11, 2011 07:48PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 5507 comments Mod
30.4 - Donna Jo's task: Double or Nothing
For this task, you need to roll two dice and read 2 books. As well as meeting the criteria below, one of the books you read must have been published for the first time in or before 1975. The other should be first published after 1975.

Book A. If the first die is even, read a book whose author's first and last names start with the same letter (Ex: Thomas Tryon). Middle names should be ignored. If a name is hyphenated, only the first letter of the hyphenated name should be used.

If the first die is odd, read a book by an author whose name contains double consonants. The letters can be in the first or last name, but they must be side by side (Ex: Jennifer Chiaverini). Only first and last names can be used. Middle names should be ignored.

Book B. If the second die is even, read a book with double letters in the title (Ex: A Room with a View).

If the second die is odd, read a book that contains consecutive words that begin with the same letter in the title. The words must appear next to each other. Examples: Faking Faith, A Christmas Carol, Success Secrets of Sherlock Holmes: Life Lessons from the Master Detective. You may use titles and subtitles, but series names do not count.

Required: State what numbers you rolled when you post the completed task.

message 2: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 26, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Book A Approved:
ODD roll
Megan McCafferty

EVEN roll

message 3: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 26, 2011 06:43AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Book B Approved:
ODD roll
Baited Blood
Plum Pudding Murder

EVEN roll

Kristina Simon (PassionforthePage) | 5507 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

Midu Hadi | 734 comments Book A: (rolled a 4) Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty
Book B: (rolled a 3) Baited Blood (Madison Rose #2) by Sue Ann Jaffarian
Would these do?

message 6: by Aleksandra (last edited Nov 26, 2011 01:10AM) (new)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 659 comments would Secret of the Sands by Sarah Sheridan work for option B. I rolled a 1.

message 7: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 26, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Anomander wrote: "Book A: (rolled a 4) Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty
Book B: (rolled a 3) Baited Blood (Madison Rose #2) by Sue Ann Jaffarian
Would these do?"

Both your books will work separately, but one will have to be from before 1975.

message 8: by Donna Jo (last edited Nov 26, 2011 06:35AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Aleksandra wrote: "would Secret of the Sands by Sarah Sheridan work for option B. I rolled a 1."

Sorry, this won't work. The words that start with the same letter must be right next to each other in the title.

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 659 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Aleksandra wrote: "would Secret of the Sands by Sarah Sheridan work for option B. I rolled a 1."

Sorry, this won't work. The words that start with the same letter must be right n..."

ok, will look for another one :)

Aleksandra (AleksandraKonwa) | 659 comments Donna Jo, then Plum Pudding Murder should be ok?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Donna Jo, then Plum Pudding Murder should be ok?"

Yes, Plum Pudding Murder is good.

message 12: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 26, 2011 07:31AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "I rolled a 3 and a 5 sooo...

Book A-Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by Tracy LyNN

Book B-The Star Shack"

Oops forgot the 1975 part...back to the drawing board...

Dee (austhokie) | 4418 comments cool task Donna Jo - I even managed to find a pre 1975 book on my shelf with the authors initials starting with the same letter

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments ★Meghan★ wrote: "Ok so for book A-The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob Ludwig Karl GriMM"

Good going. You look good to go.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Dee wrote: "cool task Donna Jo - I even managed to find a pre 1975 book on my shelf with the authors initials starting with the same letter"

Thanks. I guess I'd better get busy and try and find something for me to use.

Dee (austhokie) | 4418 comments lol...I don't know about you, but I always have the hardest time with my own task, its like the last one I always end up doing

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments I know. I think I spend so much time planning stuff I think other people might be able to work with that I don't think about what I might have to do to make the task work for me.

Felina I rolled a 5 then a 1.

Does this work?

A: Authors name has double consonants: Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

B: Title is alliterative: The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

Midu Hadi | 734 comments Book A: (rolled a 4) Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty
Book B: (rolled a 3) Hell House by Richard Matheson
Would these do?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Felina wrote: "I rolled a 5 then a 1.

Does this work?

A: Authors name has double consonants: Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

B: Title is alliterative: [book:The Pilgrim's Progr..."

Yes, both of those will work together

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Anomander wrote: "Book A: (rolled a 4) Bumped (Bumped, #1) by Megan McCafferty
Book B: (rolled a 3) Hell House by Richard Matheson
Would these do?"

Yes, those two do work together. Thanks for changing.

Midu Hadi | 734 comments :-) Thanks for telling me I needed to change the books! I completely missed the before 1975 part!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Anomander wrote: ":-) Thanks for telling me I needed to change the books! I completely missed the before 1975 part!"

That's okay--I almost did too.

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments I will be away from home for the next two weeks and will have limited net access. I'm aiming for being able to answer questions within 24 hours, but it may be a little longer. I will get to any queries as quickly as I can.

message 27: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Nov 28, 2011 08:28PM) (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments I rolled a 5 and a 4. I was thinking of doing 1984 by Geroge Orwell for Book A and then Changeless by Gail Carriger for book B. Will this work?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments ♥Meagan♥ wrote: "I rolled a 5 and a 4. I was thinking of doing 1984 by Geroge Orwell for Book A and then

Good choices.

message 29: by Anwen (last edited Dec 04, 2011 11:38AM) (new)

Anwen Ross (AnwenRoss) | 28 comments For Book A - odd, is it OK if the double consonants are in the author's middle name?
E.g. Jordan Castillo Price

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Anwen wrote: "For Book A - odd, is it OK if the double consonants are in the author's middle name?
E.g. Jordan Castillo Price"

Anwen, I am sticking with using just the first and last name for both parts just to be consistent for the mods. Can you use the book in another task?

Anwen Ross (AnwenRoss) | 28 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Anwen wrote: "For Book A - odd, is it OK if the double consonants are in the author's middle name?
E.g. Jordan Castillo Price"

Anwen, I am sticking with using just the first an..."

Yes no worries, I will find another place for it :-)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 197 comments For Book B (odd), would you accept We of the Never Never?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Kazza wrote: "For Book B (odd), would you accept We of the Never Never?"

I will. (This looks interesting.)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 197 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Kazza wrote: "For Book B (odd), would you accept We of the Never Never?"

I will. (This looks interesting.)"

Thanks. It's an Australian classic (am catching up on this side of my reading :) )

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Kazza wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Kazza wrote: "For Book B (odd), would you accept We of the Never Never?"

I will. (This looks interesting.)"

Thanks. It's an Australian classic (am catching up on..."

I picked up some good books down there when I visited a few years ago.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 728 comments I threw double 2s.
Will A Simple Plan by Scott B. Smith work? My copy doesn't have Scott B. Smith as listed on GR.
And Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier?

If the 1st one won't work , I can read Catherine Coulter's Knock Out (FBI Thriller, #13) by Catherine Coulter.
Thank you!

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I threw double 2s.
Will A Simple Plan by Scott B. Smith work? My copy doesn't have Scott B. Smith as listed on GR.
And Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier?
..."

Anne, Scott Smith, to B. or not to B., will work as will pairing it with Rebecca. Enjoy. Of course, the Coulter would also work.

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 728 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I threw double 2s.
And Rebecca by [author:Dap..."

Thanks Donna Jo :)

Sam | 175 comments I rolled 2 5s so I am planning on using

A) The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Double N & L.

B)A Christmas Carolby Charles Dickens

Are these both ok?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Sam wrote: "I rolled 2 5s so I am planning on using

A) The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Double N & L.

B)A Christmas Carolby Charles Dickens

Ar..."

Looks good to me--and you even managed a seasonal reference with the Dickens!

Katy | 308 comments How about F. Scott Fitzgerald for the double consonants in the author's name? I am guessing Scott is his middle name but it's his first name as far as how his things are published...would that work?

Keltie Lee | 315 comments For a second odd role, will Parties & Potions work? Goodreads uses an ampersand instead of the word and.
Thanks

message 43: by Donna Jo (last edited Dec 20, 2011 06:24AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Katy wrote: "How about F. Scott Fitzgerald for the double consonants in the author's name? I am guessing Scott is his middle name but it's his first name as far as how his things are published...would that work?"

Kathy, Scott is Fitzgerald's middle name, so it can't be used. I'm sorry. Is there another task you can use the book for?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Katy wrote: "How about F. Scott Fitzgerald for the double consonants in the author's name? I am guessing Scott is his middle name but it's his first name as far as how his things are published...w..."

Keltie, the & is used as the word "and" so the words are not adjacent. Sorry.

Vivian (_vivian) | 27 comments I'm thinking about using Jane Eyre (author: CharloTTe Bronte) as a double consonant before 1975. Are re-reads okay for this task?

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Vivian wrote: "I'm thinking about using Jane Eyre (author: CharloTTe Bronte) as a double consonant before 1975. Are re-reads okay for this task?"

Sure they are okay, and I hope you enjoy it as much when you reread it.

Vivian (_vivian) | 27 comments Awesome, thanks! Hope I enjoy it too :)

Sarah (MoragEpona) | 124 comments With two odd rolls, will Rote Linien: Ritzen bis auf's Blut by Brigitte Blobel (after 1975) and The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (before 1975) work?

Keltie Lee | 315 comments For a second odd role will a book with a comma between the words work? eg. Dearly, Departed

Donna Jo Atwood | 2698 comments Sarah wrote: "With two odd rolls, will Rote Linien: Ritzen bis auf's Blut by Brigitte Blobel (after 1975) and The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (before 1975) work?"

Sarah, they look like good choices.

« previous 1