Book Haven discussion

Suggestions > Neil Gaiman

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

wfpoppet | 143 comments I've not read any Neil Gaiman before, but his name has kept coming up for me lately, and my curiosity's been piqued.

For those of you who've read his work, any thoughts on where I should begin? Much appreciated!!

Lisa Anne | 617 comments I thought Good Omens was fantastic! It's where I started with both Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Flora Bateman (BookwormFlo) | 40 comments I loved Neverwhere its still one of my favorite books of all.

stormhawk | 1175 comments American Gods is fantastic. I thought Neverwhere was rather disconnected and confusing, but I liked the story flow of American Gods.

Jessi | 37 comments Loved American Gods & Stardust is one of my favorite books ever Sadly haven't read anymore of his books yet but hope to in the future

Anne (CrazyBakingMom) | 723 comments I have seen Neil Gaiman recommended numerous times on different boards so I thought I would check him out...I am listening to American Gods and must say I have to force myself to continue. There is something about it that just doesn't work for me....What is it that people think makes it so wonderful? Maybe a different perspective would help me get motivated to finish it.

stormhawk | 1175 comments As far as American Gods goes ... I love mythology, and had a lot of fun trying to puzzle out who each of the characters was meant to be.

Anne (CrazyBakingMom) | 723 comments I enjoy the mythology part but the book just seems to drone on....could just be me.

wfpoppet | 143 comments Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, he was voted to be one of the spotlight authors for another group to which I belong, so it looks like my request was well-timed!

John Allen (JohnPaulAllen) | 33 comments Here are two rarely read by Gaiman you might find fun:

Murder Mysteries: A Play for Voices

Snow Glass Apples: A Play
for Voices

wfpoppet | 143 comments Turns out the only book I could get through my library right now is Anansi Boys. About 30 pages in I thought, "man, I love this guy." His sense of humor is right up my alley. Some good friends just lent me American Gods, so it looks like that will be next.

Terri (TerriLovesCrows) | 184 comments I was originally exposed to Gaiman with his brilliant Sandman comic. And Good Omens soon after which I found LOL funny.

wfpoppet | 143 comments Oops! I've been MIA the past few months - got a bit bogged down by schoolwork.

I was able to read Coraline, M is for Magic, and Marvel 1602 in addition to Anansi Boys mentioned above. I kind of had to just grab whatever I could get my hands on at the time. However, I just found a copy of Neverwhere at my library, and I still have my friends' copy of American Gods that I hope to dive back into soon. Terri, I've heard great things about the Sandman comic, and I'm looking forward to reading it in the future. Good Omens is another one I want to read once I can find a copy at my library or used bookstore. ☺

Vanessa Samuel | 67 comments My first Gaiman book was Neverwhere which I really enjoyed, then Anansi Boys which I absolutely loved.

I have Good Omens but haven't gotten round to it yet.

wfpoppet | 143 comments Yeah, Neverwhere has been highly recommended to me by several people.

Nicky (Raggamuffin) | 90 comments I'm afraid I can only vouch for Stardust right now, but I though that one was extremely refreshing and fun!

I also have American Gods and The Sandman: The Dream Hunters all shiny on my to-read shelf...So I'm sure I'll be back

Huw Evans (DocHuw) | 140 comments I came to NG via Good Omens and Stardust. For anyone who likes their thoughts to be provoked I would recommend American Gods, or Anansi Boys. The Sandman series allowed me to see the worth of Graphic Novels (I stopped referring to them as comic books thereafter) and I have just read The Sandman: The Dream Hunters. What's not to like - dive inGood Omens, the water's lovely.

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) The ones I've read are The Graveyard Book and Coraline. I wasn't blown away by it (I didn't even finish the graveyard book) but that's probably because they're all children's books. I've watched the Stardust movie and I loved that one. I really want to read his other books meant for older readers.