All Your Questions Answered with Abby Slovin discussion

What inspired you to write Letters In Cardboard Boxes?

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Abby | 14 comments Mod
A few years ago, I stumbled across letters that had been written between my grandparents during their courtship in 1941. These letters made me realize that there was so much about them that I did not know. I decided to create a story around this idea, of finding remnants of two people’s lives after they’ve passed.What sort of emotion would likely hit someone after finding something like this? How would she react if the person writing the letters seemed so different than the person she once knew? These sorts of questions ran around in my head for a long time, and the story just took on a life of its own after that.

Dhfan4life I think that is really cool you were able to find such history like that of your grandparents. At the most I found one of my grandfather's old rings that I still don't know much about. Nor do I know much about him(he died a few months before I was born) other than some negative stories from my mom. And other than being born on my grandmother's bday, I never really found anything particularly special of hers.

Abby | 14 comments Mod
Dhfan4life wrote: "I think that is really cool you were able to find such history like that of your grandparents. At the most I found one of my grandfather's old rings that I still don't know much about. Nor do I kno..."

I love hearing stories about people being born on other relative's birthdays. If you recall, Parker and her grandmother were born on the same day and her grandmother used to tell her, "Kindred souls share a birthday."

Do you know of any similarity in personality or spirit between yourself and your grandmother?

Dhfan4life Yea, I do remember the kindred part. That does make me feel kind of special in a way. As for any similarities in personality or spirit. I would have to say from the few stories I have heard from my mom about my grandmother. I would have to say to a certain extent we were both somewhat timid, people pleaser types that often get mistreated for being so soft hearted at times. That would rather go with the flow than cause a commotion about things.

Also that we used food to comfort ourselves. Her thing was chocolate, mine is just various foods in general from sweets to chips. To which I really hate doing that as I feel it is a very weak aspect of my personality but I hate conflict and confrontation more. So rather bottle my feelings up and use food for them. And I guess too we shared too in the idea that family belonged together as my mom would often tell me that even though my grandfather wasn't the best guy around my grandmother always wanted her kids to respect him as he was their father. And for my mom as she is the oldest of her siblings, my grandmother asked her to watch over them before she passed. And to this day my mom still does it even though my aunt and uncle aren't the best people around either.

I just wish I had more stories from her personally. But yet again do to being so bottled up about stuff. She never really shared much about herself. And to this day I don't either too much unless I really can't hold it back any more. But prior to that I guess we were both die hard internalizers of our feelings. Oh man, I hope all that doesn't depress ya lol.

All Your Questions Answered with Abby Slovin

unread topics | mark unread