Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) Fall of Giants discussion

gold sovereign coins

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tiffany I just finished page 76 in Fall of Giants where the king and earl went to visit the families of the victims of the coal mine fire. When the earl leaves their home, he gives them a letter of sympathy and 5 gold sovereign coins. What was the worth of this amount of money to the people he left it with? What is the impact? I'm trying to google "worth of gold sovereign coins in 1914" and I'm only finding what the coins that were made in 1914 are worth today. Very curious about this.. does anyone know?

Kirby sorry, I have no clue- but I sure did love this book! :)

Brian I'd guess it would be two weeks wages for most people. £2 or £3 a week was quite a normal wage in those days. Indeed when my mother started work at 14 in 1933 she only got 40P (decimal equivalent)!

Lisa I loved this book. Listened to it on my iPod....great narration! Another history lesson from Ken Follett!

Jeanine These two books were absolutely engrossing and I was not able to put either one down until the end. (Yeah, they're huge books!) Five stars for both!

Gerald According to the website: http://www.nma.org/pdf/gold/his_gold_... the average price of gold in 1914 was $18.99 / troy oz.

Tiffany Jeanine wrote: "These two books were absolutely engrossing and I was not able to put either one down until the end. (Yeah, they're huge books!) Five stars for both!"

What is the other book you are referring to?

Tiffany Brian and Gerald: interesting, thanks for the info!

I thought the book was good, I loved Pillars of the Earth and definitely appreciate Ken Follett's ability to take us to a place and time where we really get a feel for what it was like. However, I got a little bored around page 700-ish when ALL the talk was centered around the war. I was much more interested in the relationships and lives of the characters.. all of the drama and love and sex. I also felt like some parts were too predictable and some parts just left me rolling my eyes.. IE: did it seem odd to you guys that all of the characters seemed to express their love for eachother way too quickly??
Overall though, I thought it was good.

message 9: by Hus (new)

Hus Cigars information Tiffany wrote: "I just finished page 76 in Fall of Giants where the king and earl went to visit the families of the victims of the coal mine fire. When the earl leaves their home, he gives them a letter of sympat..."

I came across this great site about Gold Sovereigns but I don't know if it has the answer you are looking for.

Samapika Same here... I didn't go for details ... but I loved the plot and writing style of Mr. Follett

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Fall of Giants (other topics)