The Life of a Book Addict discussion

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
This topic is about Team of Rivals
Reading Group Challenge for 2012 > Lindsay's 2012 Reading Group Challenge

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (last edited Nov 21, 2011 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsay (hotpinkpoodle) | 126 comments Here's my list-- but I may have to edit it before the discussion is locked.... there's just too many to choose from. So many books, so little time!

1. The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl
2. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
3. The Banyan Tree : A Novel
(A little side note about this one: my husband is adopted, and has recently been in touch with his biological family in Ireland. It turns out that the author of The Banyan Tree, Christoper Nolan, was his mom's first cousin.)
4. The Historian
5. World Without End
6. When Christ and His Saints Slept
7. London: The Novel
8. These Is My Words
9. Lamplighter
10. The Poisonwood Bible
11. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet
12. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Alternates:
1. North and South
2. The Postmistress

message 2: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 530 comments You've got that right. Way too many books and way too little time. I think that I have all but two of yours on my TBR list. Happy reading!

Lindsay (hotpinkpoodle) | 126 comments Karendenice wrote: "You've got that right. Way too many books and way too little time. I think that I have all but two of yours on my TBR list. Happy reading!"

Thanks, Karendenice! You have excellent taste. ;) Happy reading to you as well!

message 4: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice | 530 comments I do have good taste. You are so right! LOL

message 5: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 5134 comments #1 The poisonwood bible was a great read, can't wait to hear what you think :)
#2 Don't forget, you can read even more books with the site read, so your TBR will explode by mid-june!
#3 Good luck, your list looks great ..hehehe

Lindsay (hotpinkpoodle) | 126 comments Alondra wrote: "#1 The poisonwood bible was a great read, can't wait to hear what you think :)
#2 Don't forget, you can read even more books with the site read, so your TBR will explode by mid-june!
#3 Good luck, ..."

Alondra-- I didn't love The Poisonwood Bible!!! I expected to, so I'm a bit shocked that I didn't. I really liked the basic story, and I feel like I got something from parts of the book... but I just didn't care for the writing style, especially when it became reflective. I flew through parts of it, but I think once it reached "Exodus" I just couldn't keep my energy level up and it took me entirely too long to get through the last 120 pages or so.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 4418 comments Interesting selections, Lindsay. I've thought of getting The Postmistress. Good luck

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 25 comments Lindsay wrote: "Alondra wrote: "#1 The poisonwood bible was a great read, can't wait to hear what you think :)
#2 Don't forget, you can read even more books with the site read, so your TBR will explode by mid-june..."

My view on the Poisonwood Bible is a bit mixed too, I liked the story idea and found the detail and history of their lifestyle fascinating. The last 100 pages were an ordeal though. Far too long and rambling and overall, spoiled the book for me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lamplighter (other topics)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (other topics)
London (other topics)
The Poisonwood Bible (other topics)
When Christ and His Saints Slept (other topics)
More...