Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Edgar's 50 books for 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 89) (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Edgar (last edited Feb 06, 2012 11:11PM) (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Hi, my name is Edgar, I'm from Mexico. I hope I manage to read at least fifty books on 2012, and I'll be posting here every book as I finish. Most books will be in English, though I might add some of them in Spanish or French.
Starting point is January 1st, deadline December 31st. I'll be posting reviews every now and then.

Greetings to everyone on this forum. :)

message 2: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1042 comments Mod
Hi, Edgar.

Good luck on your 50 for 2012! Do you already have some ideas of books you're planning to read?

message 3: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Tiffany wrote: "Hi, Edgar.

Good luck on your 50 for 2012! Do you already have some ideas of books you're planning to read?"

I've been reading some Murakami, american fiction and some non-fiction books. But I'm open to anything. I'll try to read everything that lands on my hands.

Any recommendations?

message 4: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1042 comments Mod
I tell everyone that I loved The Master and Margarita. I didn't get all of the allegorical elements about Russian history, but it was a great story, nonetheless.

If you like word play with your stories, I also recommend The Phantom Tollbooth (a kids' book, but always fun) and If on a winter's night a traveler if you haven't read them.

message 5: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Edgar wrote: "Tiffany wrote: "Hi, Edgar.

Good luck on your 50 for 2012! Do you already have some ideas of books you're planning to read?"

I've been reading some Murakami, american fiction and some non-fiction ..."

Thanks!
I'll definitely add them to my list. You'll probably find them here later in the year.

message 6: by Edgar (last edited Jan 21, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments And so we start!

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
Haruki Murakamis' Norwegian Wood

message 8: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (Suzicle) | 45 comments Some recomendations, 'cause it seems we have simillar tastes:

Everything Matters!
The Secret History
When She Woke

message 9: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Suzy wrote: "Some recomendations, 'cause it seems we have simillar tastes:

Everything Matters!
The Secret History
When She Woke"

Thanks very much! I'll look for 'em to read this year.

message 10: by Edgar (last edited Jan 21, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

message 11: by Edgar (last edited Jan 21, 2012 12:54PM) (new)

message 15: by ❀angela (new)

❀angela (angelasmilesnow) Edgar wrote: "#3

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins"

so did you like it? the movie's coming in two months and I'm so excited... ^__^

message 16: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Angela wrote: "Edgar wrote: "#3

so did you like it? the movie's coming in two months and I'm so excited....."

Oh yeah, definitely. Quick read but very intriguing and addictive. Very fun stuff to read and now looking forward for the movie! I'll try to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay before the movie comes out because sometimes they throw hints in the movies, lol.

message 17: by B. (new)

B. (booksnobwannabe) Edgar wrote: "Angela wrote: "Edgar wrote: "#3

so did you like it? the movie's coming in two months and I..."

I never thought of that!! I may need to read the other two before the movie comes out as well! LOL

message 20: by Arielle (new)

Arielle (Sabinasan) | 41 comments Hi Edgar! It looks like we both have an interest in Psychology! I want to recommend this book to you:

The Anatomy of Evil - This one is actually a very interesting book. Michael Stone created a scale to rate criminals based on their crimes and motives behind the crimes. He takes into account upbringing, the circumstances involving the crimes, and any mental health diagnoses.

message 21: by Edgar (last edited Feb 06, 2012 11:13PM) (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Arielle wrote: "Hi Edgar! It looks like we both have an interest in Psychology! I want to recommend this book to you:

The Anatomy of Evil - This one is actually a very interesting book. Michael Sto..."

Oh man, thanks! I'm pretty sure I've heard of that book but just couldn't identify it. It looks like a very promising read, I'll look for it and try to read it somewhere in the next weeks, you'll probably see it here (;

By the way, if you haven't read the Oliver Sack one (
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales) I really recommend it.

Thanks again and happy readings!

message 37: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 245 comments You're almost halfway to your goal!! :) and it's only April!

message 38: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Lillie wrote: "You're almost halfway to your goal!! :) and it's only April!"

I'm already halfway there. I just finished Mockingjay today. I actually wasn't sure I was gonna be able to pull it off, but I think I'm gonna mark a new record this year :D

message 40: by Lillie (new)

Lillie | 245 comments Awesome!! How'd you like the Hunger Game trilogy?

Edgar wrote: "Lillie wrote: "You're almost halfway to your goal!! :) and it's only April!"

I'm already halfway there. I just finished Mockingjay today. I actually wasn't sure I was gonna be able to pull it off,..."

message 41: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments Lillie wrote: "Awesome!! How'd you like the Hunger Game trilogy?

I really liked it. It was fast-paced, full of action and overall cool. I think I liked the second book best. It was a fun trilogy even though I'm not very fond of bestsellers, still it was a very good read.

message 47: by Edgar (new)

Edgar Ornelas (DayTripper) | 92 comments #31

Physiology of Behavior by Neil R. Carlson
Physiology of Behavior by Neil R. Carlson

I read the 11th edition (the latest) but couldn't find it here. I'm not used to post textbook but this one (and the next one below) took me so much time to finish that I just HAD to post 'em on my list.

message 48: by Edgar (last edited May 17, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

message 49: by Edgar (last edited May 22, 2012 10:33PM) (new)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

If on a winter's night a traveler (other topics)
The Master and Margarita (other topics)
The Phantom Tollbooth (other topics)
Norwegian Wood (other topics)
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Haruki Murakami (other topics)
David Foster Wallace (other topics)
Suzanne Collins (other topics)
Charles Papazian (other topics)
Oliver Sacks (other topics)
More...