Jeffery Deaver Fans discussion

Favorite Deaver book?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 72) (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (zombietakeover) | 4 comments Mod
Which Deaver book is your favorite so far?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite is a toss up between The Bone Collector or The Empty Chair.

message 3: by Candace (new)

Candace (eternally_wishing) | 1 comments Probably The Broken Window

message 4: by Kana (new)

Kana (kanakusama) | 1 comments It's really hard to pick just one. The Bone Collector, I guess.

message 5: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) I have only just started reading jeffery deaver have read:-

The Bone Collector, Empty cchair, Stone monkey, The twelth card , Vanished man, Hard news, Manhatten is my beat, sleeping doll, Devils teardrop

as kana stated very hard to choose one. Loved the empty chair . Least keen on the Bone collector but only because I think it was too much setting the scene but stiill enjoyed

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 6 comments THE COFFIN DANCER was my #1 favorite book for the longest time. JD shares the 2-3 spot with Michael Connelly but Brian Freeman has taken over the top spot in my book. If you haven't read the Jonathan Stride series starting with IMMORAL then I highly recommend it. It knocked THE COFFIN DANCER off the throne.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments My favorite is The Bone Collector. I was not a fan of reading until my mom bought me that and told me to give it a try. I loved it and locked myself in my room until it was finished. My second favorite is a tie between Devil's Teardrop or the Vanished man. Both were amazing and some of the best books I have ever read.

message 8: by Pavlina (new)

Pavlina Lukasova (pavlinalukasova) | 1 comments My favourite one is The Blue Nowhere so far.

message 9: by Rebekkila (new)

Rebekkila | 3 comments The Coffin Dancer - I couldn't put it down.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Rebekkila wrote: "The Coffin Dancer - I couldn't put it down."

I loved the Coffin Dancer as well and it was the second book I have read by JD. I have not been let down by him so far. Garden of Beasts was not the greatest, but still enjoayable.

I am reading Edge now and were I wish I had more time to read it I am loving it so far.

message 11: by Rebekkila (new)

Rebekkila | 3 comments I have read all the Lincoln Rhyme's except for The Broken Window. I am not as happy with the Kathryn Dance books, but they are better than a lot of the other stuff out there. His stand alones are good also.

message 12: by Neil (new)

Neil (nsaturn) | 1 comments Favorite tied between Bone Collector and Devil's Teardrop.

message 13: by SwelterTheChef (new)

SwelterTheChef | 3 comments For me it would have to be one of his earlier works, A Maiden's Grave probably. Though I really enjoyed the location scout series, and wish Mr Deaver would revisit this series, and the Rune series occasionally.

message 14: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Bone Collector, as it was my first one and Garden of Beasts with its plot set in the past.
A pleasant surprise was Voodoo, as Deaver himself seems not to like it too much nowadays but I think it's not that bad but rather, well, different.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Hazard wrote: "Bone Collector, as it was my first one and Garden of Beasts with its plot set in the past.
A pleasant surprise was Voodoo, as Deaver himself seems not to like it too much nowadays but I think it's ..."

I would love to read Voodoo!!! I have asked Mr. Deaver why he tends to shy away from this book and have never gotten an answer. It is the only book by him I don't have. I even have a copy of Always a Thief that he wrote around the same time as Voodoo but he doesn't acknowledge that either.

message 16: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Chris wrote: "I would love to read Voodoo!!! I have asked Mr. Deaver why he tends to shy away from this book and have never gotten an answer. It is the only book by him I don't have. I even have a copy of Always a Thief that he wrote around the same time as Voodoo but he doesn't acknowledge that either."

Yeah, I would really like to know why he doesn't acknowledge them. I also have a copy of Always a Thief but haven't read it yet. Those two books weren't the cheapest ones though.

message 17: by SwelterTheChef (new)

SwelterTheChef | 3 comments Just looked up Voodoo on Amazon.co.uk, used 119 quid!
Anyone got a spare copy they want to lend me? lol.

message 18: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments SwelterTheChef wrote: "Just looked up Voodoo on Amazon.co.uk, used 119 quid!
Anyone got a spare copy they want to lend me? lol."

119?? I paid about half of that a year ago for a decent copy and still thought twice about it...

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I have looked here in the states and found one or two for over 200 dollars and never taken the bullet and bought it. Maybe one day I will, I really want to read it since it is the only book I don't own and haven't read by him.

message 20: by Hazard (last edited Mar 17, 2011 09:21AM) (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Chris wrote: "I have looked here in the states and found one or two for over 200 dollars and never taken the bullet and bought it. Maybe one day I will, I really want to read it since it is the only book I don't..."

there are 2 on http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Searc... for around 90 dollars, those are the cheapest I can find

message 21: by Susan (last edited Jan 10, 2012 04:45PM) (new)

Susan Elizabeth (Susan_E_Lizabeth) | 2 comments Love love love The Empty Chair! It was my first introduction to effective misdirection - I fell for every trick in Deaver's book (sorry lame wordplay). Just re-read it again, almost 10 years later, and it was still great.

In close second, I'd have to say The Devil's Teardrop.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Susan wrote: "Love love love The Empty Chair! It was my first introduction to effective misdirection - I fell for every trick in Deaver's book (sorry lame wordplay). Just re-read it again, almost 10 years later,..."

I enjoyed the empty chair as well, But I would have to say I thought Devil's Teardrop was better. In all honesty, I have enjoyed every one of his books. Glad you enjoyed the Empty Chair

message 23: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Devil's Teardrop and The Empty Chair are definitely high up on my list too.

My first book by Mr Deaver was The Vanished Man in German. I then started to read the Rhyme-Series in correct order switching to Englisch with The Stone Monkey and then, when there were no Rhyme-novels left to read, started with the other books. So far, there was no book I did not like at all, The cold Moon probably being my least favourite, (view spoiler)

I just read the first view pages of Always a Thief. Looks like it will live up to my expectations although the cover is not really appealing to me ;-).

message 24: by Chris (last edited Jan 13, 2012 03:24PM) (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I will agree with your opinion on the cover of Always a Thief but I have to disagree About Cold Moon. (view spoiler) That just makes the villian seem that much more evil than any other character Deaver has written. Cold Moon is definatly one of my favorites.

I also agree I have not found a single book by him I didn't like at all. Graden of Beasts was not my favorite but it was still a captivating read.

message 25: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments You've got a good point there. I must admit, I have not reread The Cold Moon. (view spoiler) Additionally, I think I set higher standards on books in the Rhyme-series because this is my favourite canon so I might have given the "villian problem" a little bit too much attention.

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I completely agree with you, I hold the Rhyme series in such a high standard as well. Deaver continues to raise the bar with each new novel and I think that his villains are not only getting more interesting but they also have to evolve as well. I can see your frustration but it almost felt like we as readers needed a villain like the Watchmaker.

message 27: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments I think that is one of the reasons for Deaver's success that he is able to evolve his characters in every of his series (both villian and antagonist). This also includes the expansion of Rhymes universe for example. (view spoiler)
Of course his entwining of the characters of different canons can be seen as a simple marketing trick but he also manages to only use the "secondary characters" in such a way that knowledge of their past is not necessary.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I agree whole heartedly. I can't say I remember your reference to the Empty Chair since it has been so long since I read that one, but I feel you are spot on in your assessment. I like the way he works his other characters into the Rhyme series. Lincoln also has been called in the last Dance novel as well so it works out fairly. To me as fan I like finding the similarities between the different books and when other characters pop in.
I really enjoy this group so I can disscuss these amazing works with fellow fans.

message 29: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Yeah, same here, it's been a while since I read The Empty Chair :-).(view spoiler)

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I remember now, that is always a chilling topic and Deaver handles it very well. The biggest event is from the very first book Bone Collector. Rhyme struggles with the idea of ending it all and even hires a DR to do it for him. I think Sachs does a great job of keeping Rhyme grounded here and wanting to continue to work. I will also say that Sachs and Rhyme's relationship growing is another big draw for me. I read the books almost as much to see how the characters are developing as for the amazing twists Deaver comes up with.

message 31: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Was that in The Bone Collector? Maybe I should take that as a sign to reread the books. :-)

I think that the combination of all these aspects is what makes the books so good. They are not just thrillers, they are not just romances or just dramas and Deaver manages to keep the balance.

By the way, there are currently four copies of Voodoo for sale on Amazon for $29.89. This is by far (!!!) the lowest price I have seen for that book in recent years. Maybe someone wants to complete his collection for a reasonable price? Always a Thief is on Amazon for $67,98 at the moment, for anyone who is interested.

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Thank you so much for the info on VOODOO. this is the only one of his books I am missing and would love to have it. I asked Deaver once why it is not in reprint and he never gave me a good answer. I guess he is not to proud of it and let it fall into obscurity. I will have to check this out and jump on it.

I would definatly reread the Bone Collector at least. I did and was amazed at how much more I enjoyed it the second time. It was fun to see how the relationships started out. Thanks again for the info.

message 33: by Hazard (last edited Jan 19, 2012 12:10AM) (new)

Hazard | 50 comments I read The Bone Collector in German and have the English version in my shelf, I think I will have a go at it in the near future.

My guess is that he does not want a reprint because Voodoo is a typical 80s horror novel -a genre that is pretty much out of style today and not too much respected. And both Voodoo and Always a Thief have quite a bit of sexual content. Maybe that is another reason because so far (I am about 75% through Always a Thief) I can't really see any other for his second book.

Just checked again, only two copies left - I presume one of them is on the way to you, Chris? :-)

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments You bet it is. I have looked for this book since i read my first Deaver book over a decade ago. Thank you so much for the tip. It should arrive next week and then my collection of Deaver books will be complete. If it arrives before I finish my current book it will be the next one I read.

message 35: by Hazard (last edited Jan 29, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Happy to hear it. I would have gone for a copy myself if I had not had one already. I hope you enjoy reading it and I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments I got my copy of Voodoo this past week and will be starting it tomorrow. I can't wait to give it a read and let you know what I think. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I am very grateful to have finally completed my collection.

message 37: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Hazard, Thank you for liking my review of Voodoo, I would also like to thank you again for letting me know of this treasure. I did really enjoy it and now need to read Always a Thief. I have had it for years but there was always a new Deaver book to read so it had been forgotten. I am always happy to talk Deaver books with a fellow fan.

message 38: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments You're welcome and thank you too for doing the same. I am happy to hear that you liked it. I enjoyed Always a Thief and I'm quite sure you will like it too. I also had it for a few years before I read it last month.

In my opinion the time jumping in Voodoo actually somehow made the confusion that some of the characters feel accessible for me as reader. I think this stylistic device fits the book.
Deaver's writing is very good, I remember that I could take the book and immeadiately dive into the story and see the scenes before me.

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Well I guess if I look at the time change as a thematic way to give the reader the same level of confusion that characters were feeling then it worked amazingly, but from time to time I was lost. I think since there were times I could only read for a few min it was hard to keep up and I would have to reread those sections anyway. I will also agree it was easy to get lost in the story and to me that is a sure sign of a good book.

I do look forward to reading Always a Theif but I do have one in front of it. I am also looking forward to the new Kathryn Dance novel XO coming in the spring.

message 40: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments But it seems we are no step closer to finding out why Deaver does not like the book.

XO is certainly on my shopping list for this year. Especially interesting will be the music that Deaver wrote that comes with it.

message 41: by Kristiana (new)

Kristiana Alex (KristianaAlex) | 3 comments I know it might sound silly, but I love everyone of books which Jeffery wrote. But the best is "The bodies left behind". Although I'm big fan of Kathryn Dance and "her" novels.The Bodies Left Behind

message 42: by Kristiana (new)

Kristiana Alex (KristianaAlex) | 3 comments Hazard wrote: "But it seems we are no step closer to finding out why Deaver does not like the book.

XO is certainly on my shopping list for this year. Especially interesting will be the music that Deaver wrote ..."

music, really? I didn't know that. So I hope that it will comes on my country too.

message 43: by Chris (last edited Feb 04, 2012 02:51PM) (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Hazard, I agree it seems you and I really enjoyed Voodoo and it would be considered in his bibliography, so it is still a mystery in itself.

The music is intriguing as well and I look forward to checking that out. I know he was a folk singer for a little while so I am very excited to see that aspect of his tallent show through.

Kristiana, I did really enjoy The Bodies Left behind as well. Where it is not my favortie I find that Deaver's one shots are always a great thrill to read. If you liked that one you should read Edge as well. It was his first attempt at a First person perspective and I think it was very well written.

message 44: by Hazard (last edited Feb 04, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Kristiana Alex, it does not sound silly to me, I fully agree. But you caught me on the wrong foot with The bodies left behind...I have got it in my shelf but haven't read it yet.

It says on his website that you will be able to download the music from there so I think you don't have to worry.

message 45: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Chris wrote:It was his first attempt at a First person perspective and I think it was very well written.

You are really exposing my deficites here. ;-) That is quite intriguing, I think I will go for Edge when I have finished my current book.

message 46: by Kristiana (new)

Kristiana Alex (KristianaAlex) | 3 comments Hazard, I hope so. That would be great, but I have to wait, because the czech translate will come probably few days before Christmas ...

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Hazard wrote: "Chris wrote:It was his first attempt at a First person perspective and I think it was very well written.

You are really exposing my deficites here. ;-) That is quite intriguing, I think I will go..."

I don't mean to expose your deficits, but Deaver was the author who got me interested in reading and I have emailed him from time to time with my own writing questions and to stay in touch. I tend to enjoy and analyze his works more than any of my other favorite authors. He is my favorite and I look forward to every June when a new one is released here in the states. I am even more excited when he puts out a one shot in November every now and then.

I think you will both really enjoy Edge. It didn't get the greatest reviews when it first came out but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was suspenseful and being able to follow the main characters train of thought I tended to connect with the character more.

message 48: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments Chris wrote: "I don't mean to expose your deficits"

Don't worry, I just meant to say that I did not read those two books yet and that I did not know that Edge is written in First Person Perspective. That increases my motivation to read it as I enjoy to find out how Deaver deals with different challenges in his stand alone works.
It sounds great that you keep in touch with Deaver and I am thrilled to meet him in March on his reading tour.

message 49: by Hazard (new)

Hazard | 50 comments I finished reading Edge and I am not quite sure what to think of it. The first person perspective has its pros and cons. It can make you feel the character's emotions more but on the other hand, I did not like the left out information (I don't now the correct name for that stylistic device). It feels strange if someone "personally" telling you a story leaves out vital information just to have a cliffhanger. (view spoiler).
I like the general topic of guarding people and also the thoughts around it (it does not matter who you protect or why) as well as some of the details. But quite often I felt that the situations were a bit unrealistic, mostly due to the very very short time in which a lot of information was gathered and evaluated (view spoiler).

message 50: by Chris (last edited Feb 28, 2012 07:34AM) (new)

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 56 comments Sorry it wasn't your favorite after I raved so highly of it. It has been a long time since I read it and I don't quite remember what information was left out for the sake of a cliffhanger. I will have to give it a re-read to see if I pick up on it.

I am planning on a full re-read of all his works from the begining to the end. Since I just finished Voodoo I think that is a good start, I will read Always a Thief after I finish my current book.

(view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bodies Left Behind (other topics)
Edge (other topics)
Garden of Beasts (other topics)
The Bone Collector (other topics)
The Coffin Dancer (other topics)
More...