Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Children's Sexuality

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) I am looking for everyone's suggestions on books dealing with children's sexuality. I think that is what you would label it.

More importantly differences between boys and girls. I assume there are ages that they are learning different "topics". For example my son is 4 years old, so right now it is why do girls sit down when they go potty.

Has anyone read this book? It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies,Bodies, Families and Friends
I am not sure I want to jump right into the sex discussion at this age and this book has that topic in it.

Thanks

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 2436 comments Mod
My son appreciated that I got him It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health, but that wasn't until he was about 10 or 12. He didn't much care before then. But he definitely knows (has known) he can ask me (or dad, or big brother) questions.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (Rosepixie) | 15 comments Both of the books listed above and the others on the same topic by the same authors (Robie Harris and Michael Emberley) are fantastic. As long as you get the one that is geared to the age group you're working with, they really don't go into more information than the kid will be able to handle.

The other thing to remember is that with a book like that you can pick and choose what to read and what to skip. There's a lot there, so you can read only the chapters that you need now and save the rest for when those questions come up or when you are ready for that discussion. But those titles really are among the best on the market!

message 4: by ABC (last edited Nov 21, 2011 05:28PM) (new)

ABC (Mary6543) | 344 comments Yes, we own that one.

I also like "Amazing You". It is nice because it is not as detailed.

We have a good DK one. It is very simple and DK-ish.Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts

Where Do Babies Come From?

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) Thanks everyone, I never thought I would be dealing with this a 5 years old. Yes I totally agree with on.ly reading the parts he needs to know how.

Our local library has it so I will get it and read it like it is st ne of those books we read.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Being fairly matter-of-fact about it all is probably wise. I mean, yes, private means private, and sex is special, and making babies is a big deal - but avoiding getting uptight is important, too. At least that's what my teen says.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) Wow, my husband and I just read thought this book and agreed that maybe 4 pages of the whole book are appropriate for our son. I am not going to be able to only read those pages, he will want to read the whole book and we are not ready for a lot of that stuff right now.

Back to the drawing board. Thanks everyone

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (Onthemove) It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies,Bodies, Families and Friends.

It was just way above his head and I am not sure we want to discuss these topics yet.

I really just want something that talks about private parts and not to touch anyone private parts.
Does he really need to know what mommy and daddy are doing in the bed room at 5 years old?

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

How about any with a narrative, any picture-book or very early chapter stories?

message 10: by Manybooks (last edited Nov 30, 2011 08:04PM) (new)

Manybooks | 2453 comments I think it's important not only to use books, but also to discuss sexuality etc. and to answer any questions truthfully, or as truthfully as possible, as appropriate for the age group. When I asked my parents at around age six, they told me to wait until I was older, and then at age eight, my mother shoved this book at me (she did not discuss things, I was supposed to read about the issues myself, and enlighten myself, sigh). Of course, that was in the 70s ...

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

I agree, Gundula. I too wish my mom had talked to me. But she didn't even give me a book. I'm sure most readers here would use both conversation and books.

I just think gender & sex & private parts & love are such basic issues that it'd be great if they were treated more matter-of-factly in books we'd be better off. Amber Brown by Paula Danziger does a little bit about the fact that grown-ups need a different kind of love that they can't get from their children, if I recall correctly.

message 12: by ABC (new)

ABC (Mary6543) | 344 comments I did not know that about Amber Brown Is Not A Crayon. I love Paula Danziger when I was a teen. she is very talented.

To OP

There are books like I Said No! A kid-to-kid guide to keeping your private parts private and Your Body Belongs to You

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Caterer | 24 comments Chandra wrote: "I actually just got my daughter a book called The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls..."

The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls is a wonderful book for girls. It really helped my daughter a lot. I also would add my praise to the Our Whole Lives (OWL) program. It is absolutely not preachy and has great info for kids AND adults.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends (other topics)
It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health (other topics)
Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts (other topics)
Where Do Babies Come From? (other topics)
Amber Brown Is Not a Crayon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paula Danziger (other topics)