Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Reading Habits

Comments (showing 1-50 of 241) (241 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 976 comments Came across this in another group and thought it was just right for this one, with a little touch from me :)

1. Books or Nook/kindle?
2. Where do you like to read?
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open?
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet?
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book?
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
7. what are you currently reading?
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read?
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack?
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books?
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..?
12.Why do you love to read?

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 16 comments 1. Paper, ipad, and Kindle
2. In bed
3. bookmark
4. quiet
5. horrified
6. stop anywhere
7. Neil Gaiman's American Gods
8. Just before sleeping
9. Grapes and Cheese
10. Lend
11. genre
12. In fiction I read primarily to be entertained

message 3: by MeMe Belikova (new)

MeMe Belikova First lady Ivashkov (AliceBelikovReads) | 976 comments 1. Books, but a kindle soon!
2. In the comfort of my room
3.Multiple bookmarks to label my goals for the day
4. Quiet!
5. Horrified!
6. Have to end the chapter or stop on an even number page
7. Late at night usually
8. Water and candy
9. Selfish!
10. Genre
11. I read to live in a different world for short periods of time(I like to travel) :/

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Books or Nook/kindle?~ I love both equally.
2. Where do you like to read? In my bed but the leather couch is comfy too.
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open?~ I love pretty bookmarks.
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? ~ I for some reason have to have background noise so the tv is usually always on.
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? ~horrified, I would never do that
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere?~ i can stop anywhere.
7. what are you currently reading?~ hollowland, 'm on a zombie kick right now.
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read?~ not really but I usually do it before bed.
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack?~Hot chocolate or coffee.
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books?~very rarely because people never seem to want to return them.
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..?~ What time I received it in lol
12.Why do you love to read? ! Because it is a little piece of escapism everyday!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kyle wrote: "1. Books (soft and hard cover)
2. In my den, sitting in my comfortable chair.
3. Bookmark
4. Quiet
5. Read to the end of a chapter.
6. Currently reading Jesse Kellerman's The Genius
7. Late at nigh..."

I can totally relate to #11!

message 6: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3850 comments Mod
1. Books or Nook/kindle? I prefer paper back books & reading on my Kindle occasionally

2. Where do you like to read? In my bed before I go to sleep.

3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? A magnifying book mark! I have about for of the same one lol

4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? Nice and quiet i get distracted easily!

5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? Horrified!! I would absolutely kill someone if they write in my book or even bend the pages!

6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? To the end of a chapter so i wont have to go back and re-read the next day

7. what are you currently reading? Awakening by Karice Bolton-its aawesome by the way!
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? I dont have a specific place or time just anywhere I can basically...

9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? Not really but I like to have a big glass of water....

10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? Never!!!! I don't know how other people treat there books and if its not how i treat them heck no!! I cant stand when my books don't look the way they came when i bought it when I'm finished reading!

11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? By series

12.Why do you love to read? Have you ever heard the saying "reading is my escape?'

Destiny (Elizabeth Grace) (elizabeth_grace) | 60 comments 1. Books
2. my room
3. I use one of those sticky paper things that are by post-it notes but they're like smaller... i guess post-it bookmarks :P
4. Quiet. Can't concentrate on reading with any other noise going on
5. Haha I would be horrified with markings
6. I can usually stop anywhere, but if I'm really into a book, I tell myself I have to stop at the next chapter just because I want to read more :)
7. Just finished reading Peter Pan for the second time and probably starting The Day Before for the second time tomorrow
8. my favorite time is at night, favorite place is my bedroom
9. I usually don't eat while reading 'cause I'd have to eat in the kitchen, but if i do it's just whatever i feel like eating at the time :P
10. Haha I'm usually fine about lending books, but only if I KNOW they won't mess it up in any way
11. Well, when I'm bored I try to organize them, but it's usually back to just random stacks the next day. And it can be by genre, favorites, size, shape, author, whatever. Depending on my mood and just how bored i am :P
12. Fictional boyfriends are amazing :)

message 8: by Tanecia , The bookworm (new)

Tanecia  (books101) | 3850 comments Mod
hahah i agree with number 12 lmao

message 9: by Sheri, Princess of Power (new)

Sheri | 10152 comments Mod
Destiny wrote: "1. Books
2. my room
3. I use one of those sticky paper things that are by post-it notes but they're like smaller... i guess post-it bookmarks :P
4. Quiet. Can't concentrate on reading with any othe..."

Completely agree with #12 :)

message 10: by Sheri, Princess of Power (last edited Nov 24, 2011 09:49PM) (new)

Sheri | 10152 comments Mod
1. Books or Nook/kindle? Both books and Kindle.

2. Where do you like to read? Cuddled up in bed with my comforter.

3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? Bookmark. I sell or trade all of my books when I am done reading them, so I try to keep them in good condition.

4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? Always listen to music.

5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? I never mark in my books. See #3.

6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? I have to read to the end of the chapter.

7. What are you currently reading? I'm going to be finishing Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series. I've read the first book, Kiss of Midnight.

8. Do you have a favorite time/place to read? I usually read after everyone else is in bed for the night. That is my quiet time.

9. Do you snack while reading? If so what is your favorite reading snack? I do not usually eat while reading, but I usually have something to drink, a cappuccino or hot chocolate.

10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? I lend. When I am finished with a book I get rid of it one way or another. Some I sell on Ebay (if they are newer books), the rest I put on paperbackswap.com. If I have a friend who I know will like something I just read I will give it to them and tell them to pass it along when they are done.

11. How do you organize your books? By genre, title, authors last name, etc..? By author.

12. Why do you love to read? I love getting drawn in to a story that I could have never came up with on my own. My favorite kind of book is one you are still thinking about even after you've finished it.

message 11: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (Kaligurl_7) | 305 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? book and nook
2. Where do you like to read? usually on my bed, but i can read just about anywere
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? bookmark
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? prefer quiet, but sometimes other ppl are watching tv and i can manage to read with the tv or raidio on
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? if i take notes i do it seperatly or use sticky notes
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? i prefer to stop at the end of the chapter, but sometimes i have no choice
7. what are you currently reading? inheritace by Christopher Paolini
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? i like reading before i go to bed
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? sometimes, candy or grapes, peanuts, whatever isnt messy
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? i have one friend i share with, shes incharge of some series and i get others and then we trade, that way its not as exspensive
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? id probably do it by series, and start with my faves
12.Why do you love to read? i like going to different places :) its just a nice escape sometimes

message 12: by cindrella (new)

cindrella (kickasscinderella) | 53 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? books
2. Where do you like to read? lying on my bed
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? bookmark
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? tv
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? i love scribbled books specially when i open some old book and read the old scribbling.
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? anywhere
7. what are you currently reading? Jane Eyre
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? at nite on my bed
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? anything mommade....
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? very choosy lend to very few..
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? author's name
12.Why do you love to read? it transports me to a dreamland...

message 13: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (Shall813) | 67 comments 1. Ipad
2. Anywhere with out noise
3. electronic bookmark (ipad)
4. to have it nice in quiet
5. horrified about markings in your book
6. to the end of the chapter if possible.
7. Fate's Edge Ilona Andrews
8. Right before bed is the best for me.
9. Don't really snack but love a glass of something (juice, wine, water,)
10. Due to past experience I am selfish...
11. Author
12.reading takes you to a place you may never see, I also like to read to find out how i will imagine the place and characters, then compare to see what others imagine.

message 14: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 27 comments 1. Books
2. In Personal room or in the car
3. sticky note-tabs
4. All three i do well in while reading
5. horrified about marking my books
6. end of the chapter
7. The Poison Dairies and Bloody Jack
8. When i have free time
9. No ,no NO! I do not snack when reading, wish to not ruin the pages.
10. Lend to people i know that keep books like ancient artifacts
11. By title then last name
12. I suppose it provides my comfort in a state of mind, where i can take time from a stressful work day and just escape and imagine the adventures each characters go through.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 87 comments .Books
2. In Bed
3. Bookmark
4. Has to be quiet
5. Depends on the book. But I have a book journal that I sometimes jot notes in too while reading
6. Depends how tired I am, but usually I like to stop at the end of a chapter.
7. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
8. At night in bed
9. Don't usually snack while reading.
10. This Depends on the person and the book
11. Right now it's just by size of the book as I'm using a smaller bookshelf
12. Reading takes me away to other places and I like being able to escape into a book.

Joanne♥~Bookworm Extraordinaire 1. Books Only- My eyes hurt when i read on a screen for a long period of time.
2. My bed or my recliner.
3. bookmarks- I have like 10
4. Nice n Quiet
5. I would be absolutely horrified about markings in my books.
6. Depends on how tired I am. Most of the time I read to the end of a chapter
7. The Westing Game
8. Any time to read is a good time.
9. When I snack I eat chips, ice pops, fruit, and olives lol.
10. I can be selfish because i have a cousin who is infamous for borrowing books and either losing them or never giving them back. When I do let someone borrow a book I write it down so i know who has it and I dont freak out when i cant find it.
11. Right now, i dont really have room in my room and their in piles. But i try to pile them based on series or author (if they have alot of books)
12. It relaxes me, It allows me to enter into a world that is different and not life ordinary life.

message 17: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (JulezRussell) 1. Books! I need paper...not an electronic screen glaring at me.
2. Anywhere, but prefferably in the corner of my room on top of my giant stuffed penguin and body pillow.
3. Dog ear if it's old, bookmark until it gets there.
4. Music, TV, and quiet...I can make anything work when I'm reading.
5. Uhmmm...how about marking notes outSIDE of the book?
6. Stop anywhere. But I usually finish them in one sitting. Can't leave me hanging!
7. Crossed, sequel to Matched
8. I like reading by a fireplace...when it's snowy....Sigh.
9. Sometimes...goldfish!
10. I def. lend them. How else am I supposed to spread the word of an AMAZING book? xD Answer: force your friends to read them.
11. ...No organization...I just kinda know where they all are...they're separated into two bookcases, the newer are on the white one that I'm drawing on.
12.It takes you out of reality.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Books or Nook/kindle?
-I prefer books
-Everywhere. My room, the couch I even read at restaurants.
-I use a bookmark.
-Sometimes i listen to music, but I prefer quiet.
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book?
-I would never write in my books, if I need to write down a note I would get a peice of paper.
Usually I read until the end of a chapter, but I can stop anywhere.
'The Siren' by Alison Bruce.
No i read anytime i can and anywhere i am.
I never do.
It depends, if its a book that I'm in love with then I'm selfish, but any other book then sometimes.
Ido it by by favourite Authors.
I love to read because when im reading evergthing just flows right out of me, and its like im dragged out of reality and pulled into the character, its the best feeling.

message 19: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 302 comments 1. Books and Nook
2. My bed or the couch
3. Whatever I can find, I lose bookmarks :(
4. I love music, so usually something's playing quietly in the background
5. No writing in my books!!
6. I can stop anywhere but I like to at least finish my page
7. My Soul to Take
8. I like to read at night-I'm a night owl
9. I like to snack while reading, but nothing messy-can't get my books dirty
10. I love to lend, I like to discuss good books
11. I have them organized by size/genre
12. I've always loved to read. I have an active imagination so I love building the world in my head. It's probably why I don't like tv

message 20: by Lucy (new)

Lucy 1. Definitely book
2. anywhere
3. used to memorise my page number but recently got a
book mark
4. i can read anywhere noise doesnt bother me
5. Im horrified about markings in my book
6. i prefer to read untill the end of the chapter
7. salem falls
8. i like to read anytime anywhere as long as the book is good
9. i dont really like to snack while reading but i will have a cup of tea
10. i will lend them if i know i can trust the person to look after my book
11. i just like them to look good on the shelf
12.reading is like looking into someone elses head/life and i find it fansinating

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire (claireplusone) 1. Book!!
2. Anywhere that is comfy
3. Bookmark - can't stand doggy-ear :/
4. Depends whether my baby girl is making noise :P
5. Eeek. Can't ruin books!
6. Stop anywhere
7. Supernaturally - Kiersten White
9. Whatever is in the house at the time!
10. I lend :) as long as they don't come back really mangy
11. Alphabetical by Author last name
12. To escape to a different world

message 22: by Tim (new)

Tim (timoerl) 1. Sony Reader
2. On my bed, or on the couch in the livingroom.
3. My ereader memorizes the pages for me. But when I read a paperbook, I use piece of papers.
4. I prefer peace & quiet, but when I'm really into the book, I can read with the TV one. Though I don't really like reading while there are other people in the room.
5. No, I try to remember it all. I can make notes with my ereader, though.
6. I mostly try to read to the end of the chapter, but if I don't have the time, I (have to) stop anywhere.
7. A Storm of Swords
8. I mostly read in the evening, close after dinner.
9. No, it's too distracting.
10. Neither, because most people I know in real life don't like reading, or don't like the genres I read.
11. The physical books I own are ordered from 'Science' to 'Nonfiction' to 'Fiction' to 'Post-acolyptic' to 'Fantasy'. Or in short: From "Reality" to "Fantasy".
12. Because I can imagine the story exactly I want it to be.

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Readergal1004) 1. Books (mostly
2. In private, curled up alone :)
3. Bookmark most of time.
4. Silence
5. I used to highlight but not anymore.
6. End of chapter
7. Saints by Orson Scott Card
8. Any time I have free
9. No special snacks, but if I didn't eat while reading...I would never eat!
10. Yep, but I label them so I get them back
11. Authors last name, hardback and paperback separated
12.I love the magic of traveling into the story

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca 1.Books. I love the feel and smell of the paper.
2.Anywhere that is quiet and comfy.
3.Bookmarks.
4.I prefer silence.
5.I try not to mark my books.
6.I usually have to read until the end of the chapter.
7.I am about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
8.Any free time.
9.I like to drink coffee while I read.
10.I lend.
11.I organize by genre and author.
12.I love to read to escape to new worlds.

message 25: by Riké (last edited Jan 12, 2012 09:01AM) (new)

Riké (Icylilies) | 49 comments 1. Books
2. Anywhere! I usually read at my desk, or in bed
3. A piece of origami if I have one on me at the time, other wise a piece of paper(bookmarks have failed me)
4. Nice and quiet :]
5. The only book I don't mind underlining is the bible. I can't stand marking up books, but idk, when it comes to the bible, I love seeing the scriptures I have read and marked over and over :D
6. Preferably it's the end of the chapter, unless I have to go somewhere.
7. One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Concubine's Daughter: A Novel
8. I just read whenever
9. Not really. I'm scared to get the book dirty. I might eat some candy with it though.
10. I'm a lender, but people normally don't ask for my books.
11. offline? Organization, what's that? If it's a series, I'll group those together, but if not, If I'm feeling a bit productive, I'll organize them by size. Otherwise, they're where ever I want to put them.
12. Reading is fun :D
That is until the author decides to torture me with their cruelty.

Melissa | BookBFF (harleybearbooks) 1. I prefer books, but I use my ipad too.
2. in a comfy chair or couch
3. I cut some cute scrapbook paper to make my own bookmarks.
4. If it's not quiet I can't concentrate.
5. I don't like writing in my books.
6. I have to read to the end of the chapter no matter what.
7. Just started the BOTM Legend
8. I read any chance I get. But I'm more of a night person.
9. I don't usually snack and read
10. I don't like when my books get bent or ripped so I only lend them to people I know feel the same.
11. I do it by height and then by series.
12.I love to read because you can escape this crazy world and all your problems and go on an adventure in a book.

message 27: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) 1. I prefer both :)
2. on my bed..before going to sleep.
3. Bookmark/Bookclip
4.Quiet place..
5. Horrified if there are markings. misshapen, or writings..
6. End of the chapter.
7. The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks and The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
8. I'm more of a night reader.. if there's nothing to do at school, I read.
9. Nope.
10. I lend books.. but I ask them a favor not to rip or bend it and return it as they finished it.
11. Organized by favorites and series.
12.I love to read because it gives me a peace of mind and relaxes me from school stuffs..

message 28: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Ertuncay | 17 comments 1. Book and Nook
2. Anyplace I have time to get in a page or two.
3. bookmark
4. Can do Music, TV, or quiet
5. horrified,
6. stop anywhere
7. The lost children of Wilder, epic struggle of foster care
8. on the coach before the boys get home
9. cheese and crackers
10.will lend but I am very picky
11.genre
12.I love to read because it will take you places, tell you stories and educate you.

message 29: by Lilian (new)

Lilian | 13 comments 1. Books
2. Everywhere.
3. Bookmark.
4. I prefer a quiet place,but sometimes reading while listening Mozart its a great pleasure. My music teacher recommended this to me.
5. I hate markings in my books
6. Both.
7. La ciudad de los tísicos- Abraham Valdelomar
8. I love to read in the afternoon or at night
9. I dont snack, but while i´m reading, i like drinking orange juice.
10. I´m super selfish with my books but sometimes i lend them to my best friends.
11. By genres
12.Because when i read i can live so many times,travel to other places,have differents feelings in a short time,fall in love with a character or hate him and ofcourse use my imagination.

message 30: by Emelie (new)

Emelie 1. Both paper and E-reader.
2. In my sofa or bed or outside in the garden during summer.
3. Depends, bookmarks more often, but can use dog-ears if not have anything else available.
4. Nice and quiet.
5. No, no marks!
6. Stop anywhere.
7. Bridget Jones's Diary
8. Evening, but anytime really.
9. Sometimes. Chocolate, crisps, grapes.
10. Can lend if someone is interested.
11. No, not so organised at the moment. Mostly order by author and size.
12. Nice relaxation, fun to fly away to other worlds.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 2 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? Books all the way! I have started reading some ebooks on my computer but I don't think I'll ever get a Kindle.

2. Where do you like to read? In bed with my fairy lights on and comfy and warm! I read a lot at work when I'm on lunch though.

3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? A mixture. If it's a new book I feel guilty about dog-earring but halfway through give up and fold away.

4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? Quiet :)

5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? No never! Reminds me too much of college and also I'd be terrified someone would ask to read the book and it would be embarrassing.

6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Anywhere.

7. what are you currently reading? Extras by Scott Westerfeld.

8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? Lunch at work and night before I go to sleep.
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? Nope. Unless there's sweets or little things around.

10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? If they ask I'll lend!

11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? I don't oops they're all in a heap on top of my wardrobe. Some on my windowledge too.

12.Why do you love to read? It's a nice escape from reality.

message 32: by Maria (new)

Maria 1. Both. Though I prefer to have it on paper. :)
2. At home on my bed.
3. Everything, but the dog-ear. My teacher told me that wasn't good for the book.
4. I prefer to have it quiet.
5. Uhm, I sometimes highlight lines and quotes that I find really good. :D
6. I can stop anywhere.
7. Betrayal, by Lili St. Crow
8. In the evening, when I've finished tho homework, or in the weekend whenever I have some spare time.
9. I can eat anything while I read, haha.
10. Sometimes I lend books, but only to people whom I trust would take good care of them.
11. Organize... what is that? ( *___* )
12. It's the best escape out of reality.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Books!
2. Anywhere, but I get in trouble for it the most in school.
3. Book marks, or any little thing I have lying around. I can't stand folding the pages
4. I like to read with both music and quiet.
5. I hate marks because it seems like my eyes always stray to it.
6. Anywhere.
7. Soul Screamers Volume 1: Rachel Vincent
8. Not really, unless all the time counts.
9. Anything I have, I guess.
10. I am extremely selfish!
11. Author.
12. It's nice to get away from life every once in awhile.

message 34: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn (HuggableOtaku) 1. Books
2. Everywhere.
3. I only have one so I bookmark one and dog ear the others
4. Quiet. (But I can still read in a croweded lunch room)
5. Never
6. Stop anywhere
7. The Girl Is Murder
8. At my desk during History ^^'
9. Hot Cocoa :3
10. I lend them but I'm a nervous wreck until I get them back.
11. o.o I don't organize them. They're in a huge pile under my desk (which is slowly creeping out into the hallway)
12.It makes it easy to block everyone out and learn new things.

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie (BookshelfBlogger) | 28 comments 1. Books!!
2. I like reading in my room, in a my "book nook," in my living room...everywhere, basically!!
3. I use bookmarks! If I'm desperate I grab a sticky note to mark my page.
4. I prefer quiet settings. Background noise doesn't irritate me, but if it is loud and obnoxious, I just can't focus on the book.
5. I never EVER EVER write in my book!
6. I need to stop at a good stopping point; I can never stop mid-drama.
7. The Next Always by Nora Roberts
8. I like to read in between classes, during free time, and before bed.
9. Not really...I don't want to get anything on my book!
10. I'd lend them to my best friends, but I get nervous until I get them back.
11. I have 3 bookshelves. This summer I really want to organize them by genres or something...
12. I really like to go on adventures that never would be possible had I not read that book. In a way, it's like getting to live a second life in my book!

message 36: by Katie (new)

Katie (FireCityGirl) 1. Books or Nook/kindle?
-Books, no contest.
-I like to read on the floor :| Wherever I am. Just, sitting on the floor.
-I use whatever I have. If I don't have anything around me and I plan on doing something else for a bi, I'll doggie it. If I'm just getting something, I lay it open. But I prefer to use bookmarks/paper whenever I can.
-Nice and quiet ,though if the music is quiet, that' okay.
-It depends. Some books I do, others I dont, but generally I don't ever. I prefer not to mark up my books, though I don't have anything against that.
-End of chapter, unless I'm in a hurry to go somewhere, then end of paragraph.
-Eragon by Christopher Paolini.
-I like reading on my bedroom floor late at night.
-Not really, I try not to.
-I'm selfish with them. Very selfish. Sometimes I'll give them to my friends, but I always pester them about it while they have it, haha.
-I have them in order by series, then by favourites/whatever fits on this shelf that I like. I don't really have order.
-It's something so different then anything else. You can literally go into a different world, and there is so much to imagine with them, it's wonderful.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 5 comments 1.) Books always first choice, Kindle, and iphone
2.) Anywhere comfy, pref couch, bed, and kitchen table while eating ( i live alone)
3.) toilet paper , whatever receipts are lying around, dollar bills.
4.) music off in another room, I cannot stand it when it is dead quiet, my ears ring all the time so I need something to drown that out.
5.) OCD prevents any marks, bends, rips, creases all throughout the book.
6.) I can stop anywhere
7.) Into the Wild
8.) Anytime/ Anywhere
9.) Coffee
10.) Selfish but I always recommend ( I will buy duplicates, if I come across them in a second hand store or garage sale)
11.) Size and how good they are; top shelf= it was awesome- bottom shelf= to be traded or sold
12.) Because it exercises the brain!!!

message 38: by iyagi (new)

iyagi 1. Books!
2. My bed, so soft.
3. bookmark or flat open :)
4. music, i like sounds.
5. i would write in them, if i knew what to write.
6. stop anywhere!
7. Living Dead in Dallas !
8. When I'm not tired.
9. I don't
10. Well, if they ask i lend.
11. size.
12. it's another world, a much better one.

The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft (TheHauntedReadingRoom2017) | 105 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? Until a few months ago, I was all book, all the way. But since I bought

this laptop at the end of Oct. from my sil's computer business, and installed Kindle for PC, the

large screen plus adjustable font means I'm almost all Kindle! One with good vision has no idea

how trying it is to buy a desired book, or get a Library copy, only to discover it's virtually

unreadable.

2. Where do you like to read? Since I live with family-in my room, either sitting on the side of

my bed, or preferably propped up on bed against cushions, laptop on my laptop desk I bought myself

for Christmas

3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay\ book flat open? Bookmark, never dog-

ear, but have been known to wrongly lay flat face down, shame on me

SILENCE! which occurs seldom in a household of 3 adults, 6 children

I don't even highlight in my Kindle for PC! In college I wouldn't even highlight or write in

textbooks!

6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? if sleepy, anywhere, but I try

to finish a book before going to bed

7. what are you currently reading? finishing Susan Hill's The Small Hand from yesterday and

beginning Jeff Bennington's Reunion

8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? All day, all night:)

9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? more a question of unconscious habit:) sugar cookies, pop-tarts, chess bars (homemade)

10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? Selfish but I have been known to lend

11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? Print books in author clumps (Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Mary Roberts Rinehart) Kindle for PC is so not organised

12.Why do you love to read? Reading is life, breath, salvation, and sanity

message 40: by Nikki88 (last edited Jan 13, 2012 09:26PM) (new)

Nikki88 | 23 comments 1.) I recently got a Nook tablet so all my books are now on that , I love how you can read well in the dark and change the font and things like that ! Never thought I would like it but love it since I tried it.

2)I like to read just about anywhere but mostly I read in bed or at the doctors office.

3.) Well since I am reading on my nook it has bookmarks for you ! love that too

4.) I prefer it quiet when I read

5.) I never did like writing in books I think it ruins the value and look of the book

6.)I usually like to finish the chapter if I can

7.)Well I usually have several books I read at a time so right now I believe I have 11 started the newest one being the Host by Stephanie Meyer along with a few from Darren Shan

8.) My favorite place to read is my bed and time would be at night when all is quiet .

9.)Sometimes I do snack while reading but with the nook I stopped that haha but if I do its candy of some sort .

10.)Well I am a bit selfish only because the books I have lent never returned :(

11.)My printed books by size

12.) It relaxes me from a long day and I am not much of a TV watcher these days , I would rather read .

message 41: by Baisakhi (new)

Baisakhi (cool_gal95) | 113 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? Both

2. Where do you like to read? Anywhere I can curl up with a book

3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? Bookmarks-sometimes. Never Dog ear, though. I get a panic attack every time I see a page has even a minuscule crease

4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice and quiet? Quiet works best when I read

5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? Oh I am absolutely horrified!

6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Usually I read till someone (usually my mom) yells at me to go to bed. So I have no choice but to stop where I am

7. what are you currently reading? Mercy Thompson series. Right now I'm halfway through book 4

8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? Nah. Anytime will do.

9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? Actually, no. I prefer it that my hands aren't covered with food crumbs when I'm turning a page. I maybe a slob in all other aspects, but when it comes to books, my OCD tendencies rear their head

10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? Nope, not selfish. About Half of my collection is always with some friend or the other.

11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? I just keep books of a same series together. That's about as far as my organization skills go

12.Why do you love to read? The world presented to us by books is a magical place. I love to get lost in there.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Books or Nook/kindle?
Books, I um and ah over the kindle, I just don't think you can beat the feel of a book
Everywhere, there is always a book in my bag, waiting somewhere I'm reading!
A mixture, bookmark but i get so frustrated if it falls out, lay the book flat if I'm in a hurry, or (I know I'm bad) I fol the page over!
Bit of both, sometimes I like the quiet, other times I like a bit of background noise, especially if the music suits the toneof the book
Only make notes if I'm using them to study with or something
Stop anywhere though I don't like too
Last sacrifice by Richelle Mead, Left Neglected By Lisa Genova and Bullet By Laurell K Hamilton to name a few...
tucked into a cosy chair at dusk.
changes all the time currently penn state sour cream and chive pretzels YUM!
I lend books to everyone, apart from some that were handed down to me
Genre and then Author's surname within that
12.Why do you love to read
Because it takes you away.. I can be in new york or the 1400s or anywhere without leaving my house, I can love and lose, fight and have an adventure. I can learn.

message 43: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maureenmatta) | 410 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle?
Books!
on my bed
bookmarks! I have so many so it's rare that I run out of them.
nice and quiet most definitely
I write notes when its for school. But for the Twilight Saga I highlighted all my favorite quotes and made notes about the words i didnt understand. I don't do that anymore however.
It really depends. I often have to read to the end of the chapter, but sometimes if the book is going nowhere or I really have to stop reading because I have other things to do, I'll stop anywhere.
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
my room on my bed at night
I don't like to snack while reading because more often than not it gets the pages dirty.
No i love lending books! Because then I can discuss books with the person i lent them to. But if the person takes too long to read them or ruins the pages then I will more likely not let them borrow it again.
I really don't organize my books in any fashion. I don't have a bookshelf although Id really like one. I dont have enough room for a bookshelf. Besides theres something about people knowing what books you read and judging you based on what you read that bothers me.
It takes you away into a different reality and into a world where characters go through challenges, journeys, and relationships and you experience it with them! You can relate with them sometimes and you feel what they feel. I love books. :)

message 44: by AJ (new)

AJ Lamsal (ajlamsal) | 46 comments 1. BOOKS!!
2.Anywhere..but mostly in my room
3.piece of paper
4.nice and quiet
5.HORRIFIED!
6.i can stop anywhere, but i prefer to read to the end of the chapter
7.Silence-Becca Fitzpatrick
8.my bed at night
9.potato chips
10.Lend-how else are people supposed to read books i like?
11.by height
12.It takes you out of reality and all of your problems for a while

message 45: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (Lavenderkat) | 2 comments 1. Books and Kindle! :)
2. I read anywhere, but my favorite place is curled up on the couch.
3. Bookmark
4. Nice and quiet, or sometimes soft music in the background if it fits a scene in the book.
5. I won't write in the book unless it's a reference manual or if it's a really bad spelling error. ;)
6. Usually the end of the chapter.
7. Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Crime by Tamar Myers, and The Sookie Stackhouse Companion by Charlaine Harris.
8. Any time, lol.
9. Breakfast, lunch and dinner :D
10. I used to lend my books out, but then I'd never get them back! :(
11. By genre and author name
12. I love to get caught up in another world, especially if they go traveling.

message 46: by Robert (last edited Jan 15, 2012 08:45AM) (new)

Robert | 169 comments 1.Paper...
2.Anywhere, but i read the most in my bed :D
3.Piece of paper
4.The TV is on when i read
5.I hate writing in my books
6.I finish the chapter, but when I don't have enouhgh time I end only the page
7.Welcome to Dead House by R.L. Stine
8.I read anytime I have some free time
9.Usualy I drink cappuccino
10.Yes, I lend them to my aunt and to my cousin
11.By size :))
12.I like to feel the way that character feels...and I love the suspense, so I don't let the book down until it's finished :D

message 47: by Aly (new)

Aly Blythe (redvsworld) | 6 comments Good questions :)

1. Books or Nook/kindle? --> Kindle mostly, for new books.
2. Where do you like to read? ---> Anywhere I can! Bed, bath, Tube, sofa...
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open? --> Unapologetic dog-earing.
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet? ---> Depends. It doesn't bother me. Unless the book isn't good, in which case I'll be distracted by anything going on around me.
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book? ---> I don't write notes - not since my student days - because I don't like coming across them in a re-read.
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? --->Prefer end of chapter, but can stop anywhere. Depends on time/place/convenience.
7. What are you currently reading? ---> On Writing, by Stephen King. And Un Lun Dun, by China Mieville.
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? ---> Nope. But I prefer it when I have time and it's unhurried.
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? ---> Not really.
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? ---> I lend. I'm crabby if I don't get them back, though.
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? ---> No organization at all. They're put wherever they fit. (And this is why a Kindle is a godsend).
12.Why do you love to read? --->The whole experience. What is there not to love?

message 48: by Shanna (new)

Shanna (gt-teach) | 3 comments 1. Paper and Kindle
2. Anywhere I get a chance
3. Never Dog-ear, or lay book flat open, usually a bookmark, but in a pinch a scrap of paper
4. Quiet or during the commercials
5. I usually don't write in my books, but I'm not horrified by it
6. I can stop anywhere
7. Currently reading Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs, and Talisman by Stephen King
8. No favorite time, just anytime I get a chance, and definitely before bed
9. I don't usually snack
10. I share my books with people I trust
11. Organized? What's that?
12. I like to escape to another place.

message 49: by Janina (new)

Janina (synchronizedreading) | 187 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle? Both!
2. Where do you like to read? Curled up in bed.
3. Do you use a bookmark, piece of paper, Dog-ear, or lay book flat open?Hahaha, I use to dog-ear, but now I use bookmarks!
4. Do you listen to music, watch TV, or Prefer to have it nice in quiet?Quiet.
5. Do you write little notes in your book, or are you horrified about markings in your book?Horrified
6. Do you read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere? Til the end of the chapter, but sometimes I'll stop anywhere depending on the paragraph. Lol
7. what are you currently reading? Bloodrose by Andrea Cremer and Illumine by Alivia Anders
8. Do you have a favorite Time/place to read? Nope, but I read mostly at night. LATE at night!
9. Do you snack while reading? If so whats your favorite reading snack? Yes, but I don't really have a fave.
10. Do lend books to people or are you selfish with your books? The only person I'll let read my books is mom. Let my sis read a book once, didn't see again til the end of the year.
11. How do you organized your books? By genre,title, authors last name, etc..? I don't really organized. I guess kind of by genre and by series.
12.Why do you love to read? I love being taken away by the different worlds and experiencing what they are experiencing. I LOVE IT!

message 50: by Kayden (new)

Kayden Lee (KaydenLee) | 38 comments 1. Books or Nook/kindle?
Books and Nook - hopefully Kindle soon.
In bed.
Dog-ear - I'm bad. :)
Need it quiet.
Could not bring myself to write notes on a book.
I stop when my sleeping pill kicks in - so anywhere.
Storm Rising by Kenneth Hoss.
In bed before I fall asleep.
No snack during reading.
No problem with lending.
No organization what so ever.
Reading takes me to a whole new world, where I get to play make believe.

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Day Before (other topics)
The Westing Game (other topics)
A Storm of Swords (other topics)
The Concubine's Daughter (other topics)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (other topics)
More...