Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

One Day
This topic is about One Day
Authors; M - P > Nicholls, David - One Day - December Anything Goes BOM - Start Date December 1st 2011

Comments (showing 51-100 of 101) (101 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:25AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Questions for Chapter 8 - Chapter 9

1) Looks like Ion and Emma are an item and someone isn't too happy about that. tee hee hee

2) My prediction is this one won't last (Ion and Emma).

3) Are we ever going to see Dexter clean up his act? I found this not the most entertaining of chapters to read. A little boring. Can't believe Dex would get drunk before doing a program. Wait. Yes, I can.

4) Emma seems to be doing well. Did the incident with the headmaster seem a little off/odd?

- "Personally I'm more of a Sweet Charity man. Remind me, why couldn't we do sweet Charity?"

"Well it's a musical about prostitution, so..."

What the heck!

5) How did you like the way Emma handled the children?

6) What do you make of Suki and Dex? Were you surprised she didn't tattle on him?

7) Dex is turning into a mean drunk. I can't believe he said what he did to Emma. Those who can do, those who can't teach. Gah! I'm glad she broke it off.

RebeccaS (RebeccaKS) | 930 comments No I haven't seen the movie yet but I definitely plan to when it comes out on dvd!

RebeccaS (RebeccaKS) | 930 comments 1) Looks like Ion and Emma are an item and someone isn't too happy about that. tee hee hee
Ha yeah he definitely wasn't happy about it, but I mean come on now, be happy for her geez.

I agree, I feel like Emma will not be content with Ian at all...especially with Dex out there.

3) Are we ever going to see Dexter clean up his act? I found this not the most entertaining of chapters to read. A little boring. Can't believe Dex would get drunk before doing a program. Wait. Yes, I can.
Yeah I'm really getting tired of Dexter being a drunk idiot. I found myself hoping really hard that he would get over himself because it was getting old. He was getting good opportunities but wasting them away (literally...wasted).

4) Emma seems to be doing well. Did the incident with the headmaster seem a little off/odd?
Definitely that was strange and very suggestive... maybe there's more to find out about this headmaster.

I loved it! I think she did a great job and it seemed very "her". Rational but effective.

6) What do you make of Suki and Dex? Were you surprised she didn't tattle on him?
Not a huge fan of this coupling mostly because I feel bad for her cause he is such a screw up right now. I feel like she didn't "tattle" on him because it wasn't really necessary (you just needed to see how he was acting). Also, I feel like she was trying to have his back, even though he didn't really deserve it.

7) Dex is turning into a mean drunk. I can't believe he said what he did to Emma. Those who can do, those who can't teach. Gah! I'm glad she broke it off.
Me too! Seriously Dexter grow up and stop being terrible! Grr

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Finally got the book. I'll attempt to catch up.

Sashana | 6358 comments That was quick.

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments They added the ebook to the library and I was able to get that a lot faster.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Sashana,

Will you be able to do any of the remaining questions? I know you have a busy week ahead.

Sashana | 6358 comments I can take Wednesday.

message 59: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:53PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Questions for Part Three - Chapter 12

1) Wow! I didn't expect Emma to have an affair with the headmaster. Gah! What a creep he turned out to be.

2) Ian stalking Emma? Men seem to not like letting her go. That truly was kind of creepy too. Do you think she just has bad taste in men?

3) Dex's life might have just hit rock bottom. Thoughts?

4) What do you think of Dex's new girlfriend? I think she sounds a bit scary.

5) Could Dex actually be starting to clean up his act?

6) Anyone else think the Moriarty game was very strange?

7) Do you think the girlfriend is controlling and that is what Dex needs at this time--someone to control him because he's so out of control?

message 60: by Sashana (last edited Dec 05, 2011 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments I'll answer the whole thing tomorrow but I have to say hell yes to #6! I was like, who does this? I even googled it and looked on YouTube. It's real! The things I am learning from this book...

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Questions for Chapters 1-3

1. Interesting pair these two. Em likes Dex but Dex can't wait to get the hell out of Dodge and as far away from Em as possible. What were your first impressions of Emma and Dexter?

Figured Dex leaves a string of women everywhere he goes and poor Em is just another sap that fell for him. Although it was interesting that he stuck around even if they weren't going all the way.

2. It doesn't seem like Dex is interested in Emma (certainly not as interested as she is). Why do you think he stays in contact with her?

I think he likes her more then he's willing to admit. Either that or she's a comfort that he doesn't want to live without. A constant in his ever changing life.

3. Like mother, like son. I have to say, I enjoyed Dexter's mother- normal she is not. What did you guys think of her? Any predictions for what she was about to tell Dex?

Well, before she said the contrary, I thought it was going to be her divorcing her husband. They don't seem to get along very well. I really have no clue what she was going to say seeing as how she swears its nothing bad and all.

4. Did you realize that each chapter is a different year but the month and day remain the same (July 15)? What do you think is the author's purpose for doing this?

I didn't realize the date stayed the same. Guess I wasn't paying attention. I think the date is the anniversary of Em and Dex meeting fully and thus significant to them.

5. Which of Emma's jobs do you think was more horrible, the acting gig or the waitress job?

The waitress gig. At least acting she could attempt to be creative and not smell like mexican food all the time. Although the people at the restaurant seemed to be a bit more fun then the actors.

6. Was I the only one surprised by Dex's sentimental letter? I didn't know he had it in him.

I was surprised it came so early. I figured he would eventually turn all gushy for Emma, but the letter was nice.

7. Damn you, Heidi Schindler! I can't believe the letter wasn't delivered. And just when Dex was being decent too. Why do I feel like we'll be reading about a series of unfortunate events from now on?

I was very surprised to see it not get delivered. I wonder what happened to the wired money then if Em never knew about it? *shrugs*

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Questions for Chapter 13

1) Wow! Dex getting married? What is your current opinion of his fiance?

2) What will Dex do with himself now that he doesn't seem to be able to keep a job?

3) What did you make of the maze and the kiss?

4) Do you think Dex's fiance tricked him into marrying her--she is pregnant?

5) Anyone else not seeing a happy ending for Dex's family?

6) Do you think the two will ever end up together--Dex & Emma? So many missed opportunities and so many hurdles.

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Questions for Chapter 4-5
1. Do you think Dex goes through so many women to make Em jealous? Or is he just being his regular womanizing self?

His regular self.

2. Is it me, or is Dex really irksome? What do you think is his worst quality? Feel free to rant about Ema too.

He's your typical pompous ass. He reminds of Barney from How I Met Your Mother.

3. Why are Ema and Dex pussyfooting (can I say that here?) around each other? She likes him, he likes her- so what's the hold up? Must we suffer years/chapters for someone to take the first step?!

I think Dex feels for Em but is unwilling to truly admit it. He doesn't want to be confined to one women at this stage in his life. He's too young and pretty.

4. I don't know about you, but I thought that nacho poem was gold! I think they should put it on the menu ;)

It was very nice. But I'm all poetry'd out.

5. What do you think of the book so far? Is it living up to the hype and, more importantly, your expectations?

I came in with little to no expectations, but I'm enjoying it so far which is saying a lot because I"m not a romance lover.

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Chapter 8 - Chapter 9

1) Looks like Ion and Emma are an item and someone isn't too happy about that. tee hee hee
➜He’s such a hypocrite. He’s with a million girls but he wants Emma to sit around and wait for him.

➜Ditto. She’s not into him.

➜I think he will clean up his act, but like I said before he’ll get worse before he can get better.

- "Personally I'm more of a Sweet Charity man. Remind me, why couldn't we do sweet Charity?"

What the heck!
➜LOL. He was inappropriate with his comments.

➜She was great! I think she found he calling.

➜Suki is annoying. Why does she have to yell? I don’t they’ll last.

➜I never liked that saying and I don’t agree with it.

message 65: by Sashana (last edited Dec 08, 2011 07:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Part Three - Chapter 12

1) Wow! I didn't expect Emma to have an affair with the headmaster. Gah! What a creep he turned out to be.
➜I was very disappointed in Emma when I read this. I thought she had more morals.

2) Ian stalking Emma? Men seem to not like letting her go. That truly was kind of creepy too. Do you think she just has bad taste in men?
➜He was just heart broken. I didn't find it sad, I felt bad for him

➜Good. Now he can pick himself up.

➜She is scary and unlike anyone I ever thought he would be with.

➜I think so.

➜Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO0C7h... Obviously these people take it less seriously than Sylvie's family.

7) Do you think the girlfriend is controlling and that is what Dex needs at this time--someone to control him because he's so out of control?
➜A bit of both. But I’m tolerating her because she’s straitening him out. She’s like his personal rehab.

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Chapter 13

➜She’s mean and controlling. They won’t last.

2) What will Dex do with himself now that he doesn't seem to be able to keep a job?
➜Take Callum up on his offer after a bit of feet dragging.

➜These two are kidding themselves if they think they’re just going to be friends.

➜I think she really is pregnant and he thinks that he loves her so I don’t believe that she is tricking him.

➜I smell a disaster *sniff*

6) Do you think the two will ever end up together--Dex & Emma? So many missed opportunities and so many hurdles.
➜I know! I’m begining to think it will never happen. I feel duped! Here I was thinking I was going to be reading some great love story.

Sashana | 6358 comments I'll make the questions for the last two sections today, Lisa.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Sashana, I just read the next section of chapters and was totally shocked by one of the events! I can't believe that happened.

Sashana | 6358 comments Is it about Emma? I stopped reading right there because I was so angry!

Lisarenee | 8415 comments No this was the wife, but I did read that too and that one is worse, but I just took a peek ahead so haven't got the full effect of that part yet. I don't think I can give this book a high rating. How about you?

Sashana | 6358 comments I like it. If I have to rate it now I'd give it 3.5 stars. I like the writing but I disliked Dex for the most part.

message 72: by Sashana (last edited Dec 08, 2011 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Questions for Chapters 14-15
1. When Jasmine was born Dexter felt sentimental stating,“...he knew that he would sacrifice his life for her. [her being Jasmine]..Dexter Mayhew made a solemn resolution. He resolved to do the right thing from now on.” Fast forward a few pages and he's drinking while baby sitting and giving his baby unneeded medicine. When will this man learn?!

2. I'm glad Dexter decided to sallow his pride and work for Callum and no matter how much I question some of his choices I can't believe Sylvie would be low enough to have an affair with Callum. Do you think Dex deserved this? Is Sylvie and Callum a better match?

3. Finally! I thought this day would never come, Emma and Dex are together. Do you think they'll make it? Or will Dexter do something to mess it up?

4. I curious: Has anyone seen the movie yet? If yes, how does the movie match up to the book. If not, do you plan to see it soon?

message 73: by Sashana (last edited Dec 08, 2011 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Questions for Part 4- Chapter 23
1. My how the tables have turned. Sylvie is jealous of Emma and Dexter's relationship even though she was the one to cheat; her relationship with Callum is going sour and Emma and Dex are married and trying to have a baby..So why why whhhyyyyy did David Nicholls feel the need to (view spoiler) Why is he trying to toruture us??

2. After such a momentous event (view spoiler) Why do you think the author decided to use flashback instead of jumping a year ahead like he usually does?

3. I feel horrible to Dex, so much that I can't even get angry at him for reverting to his old ways. Just when he puts his life together it falls apart.

4.Everyone is really pulling through for Dex in his time of need. Are you more shocked at Sylvie's compassion or Ian's letter?

5. It wasn't mentioned, but I wandered if Sylvie and Callum's marriage lasted. What do you guys think?

6. Somehow I knew that something would happen between Dex and Maddy. I thought Dex would have an affair with her (view spoiler) (I'm glad he didn't). But do you think Maddy is a good match for him? Will they last? (even though the book is over ;)

7. What did you think of the book overall? How did you rate it?

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Questions for Part Two - Chapter 7
1) So just a strange little observation I noticed--this is the second book I've recently read by a male. Usually most of what I read has a female author. Both of my recent male authored books talk about bras. In this book her bra supposedly poked her and the mood was lost. In the other book I read the author went on about a bra that was uncomfortable. lol I'm trying to think of any books written by females that talk about bras and am drawing a blank. I guess some romances will discuss such things occasionally for description or such, but it was just a little observation I made. Can anyone else recall a book where an author takes about bras and is female or male? Could this be a guy thing or am I totally off on this?

I can't really say. Not something I really pay attention to I think. I feel I've seen it before though...who knows.

2) Dex seems to be on a downward spiral. Do you think he'll clean up his act or will he continue into self destruction?

I think the only person that can save him is Em, but she won't truly let him close to her because he doesn't seem to want saving. Maybe something will finally work between them.

3) If Emma had been home when he called her do you think they would have become a couple?

I don't know about a couple, but I think they may have had a serious conversation for once. Dex seems to have a lot of things on his mind lately that are making him second guess his life choices.

4) Thoughts of Ian as Emma's new boyfriend?

I think Em is settling for Ian. She doesn't seem to like him as much as she's forcing herself to. He doesn't seem to truly make her happy even if he is a nice guy.

5) I'm guessing Dex's mom wanted to discuss her illness in the last set of chapters. Do you agree?

Probably. Although she said it was nothing bad so I figured it would actually be nothing bad.

6) Do these small, short glimpses into the relationship Dex and Emma have annoy you? We don't get all the information all at once. We find thing out later after the fact. Does it distort the view of what is going on?

Someone told me that by the end of this book I would be gouging my eyes out. The story goes in circles and does all sorts of weird things before the end...supposedly.

7) Do you think Emma is good for Dex? Do you think Dex is good for Emma?

I think Emma is exactly what Dex needs, but Dex may not be good for Emma. I feel in a way Em's love for Dex has been holding her back from being happy. But Em is one of the few that I think could help Dex straighten out his life.

8) St. Swithin's Day is 15 July, a day on which people watch the weather for tradition says that whatever the weather is like on St. Swithin's Day, it will continue so for the next forty days. Do you think Swithin's Day has some significance as to why all these snapshots into the relationship are given. If they get along well it lasts perhaps for the remainder of the year and likewise if they don't? Do you think it's just a coincidence that the author picked this day or do we need to wait for the real reason the book centers on this day?

It seems that whatever happens on that day is how their relationship turns out until the next year. They have their good weather and bad weather, but mostly bad.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Questions for Chapters 14-15
1. When Jasmine was born Dexter felt sentimental stating,“...he knew that he would sacrifice his life for her. [her being Jasmine]..Dexter Mayhew made a solemn resolution. He resolved to do the right thing from now on.” Fast forward a few pages and he's drinking while baby sitting and giving his baby unneeded medicine. When will this man learn?!

Who knows.

2. I'm glad Dexter decided to swallow his pride and work for Callum and no matter how much I question some of his choices I can't believe Sylvie would be low enough to have an affair with Callum. Do you think Dex deserved this? Is Sylvie and Callum a better match?

I had to stop reading because I was upset with this developement. No one deserves that, but he also did call his ex girlfriend and ask her out for a drink. I think Callum is an awful individual. The wife isn't much better.

3. Finally! I thought this day would never come, Emma and Dex are together. Do you think they'll make it? Or will Dexter do something to mess it up?

I don't know.

4. I curious: Has anyone seen the movie yet? If yes, how does the movie match up to the book. If not, do you plan to see it soon?

Nope, I haven't seen it and don't think I will.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Questions for Part 4- Chapter 23

1. My how the tables have turned. Sylvie is jealous of Emma and Dexter's relationship even though she was the one to cheat; her relationship with Callum is going sour and Emma and Dex are married and trying to have a baby..So why why whhhyyyyy did David Nicholls feel the need to (view spoiler) Why is he trying to toruture us??

I don't know.

2. After such a momentous event (view spoiler) Why do you think the author decided to use flashback instead of jumping a year ahead like he usually does?

Not sure, I've been mulling it over. I think perhaps Dex had to work through the death and that is how author chose to do it?

3. I feel horrible for Dex, so much that I can't even get angry at him for reverting to his old ways. Just when he puts his life together it falls apart.

I know. Seems like the two were cursed or something.

4.Everyone is really pulling through for Dex in his time of need. Are you more shocked at Sylvie's compassion or Ian's letter?

Sylvie's.

5. It wasn't mentioned, but I wandered if Sylvie and Callum's marriage lasted. What do you guys think?

Nope. I think it ended. He wouldn't have let her go to Dex in his time of need.

6. Somehow I knew that something would happen between Dex and Maddy. I thought Dex would have an affair with her (view spoiler) (I'm glad he didn't). But do you think Maddy is a good match for him? Will they last? (even though the book is over ;)

I think he's lost the love of his life and will just settle for Maddy.

I'm still deciding what to rate it. It won't be a 5, but it will be higher than a 2.

message 77: by Sashana (last edited Dec 13, 2011 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments So I saw the movie today and I didn't like it. The first few years (1988-1992) was shown in less than 20 minutes- yes, I counted. Needless to say, a lot of important details weren't shown. Anne Hathaway's British accent was choppy; I'm not claiming to be an expert on accents but at times she sounded like a strange medley of South African, Australian, and English. They really didn't go into depth with Dexter's problem with alcohol and the didn't show the tension that sometimes plagued their friendship. The book was much better.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Better late than never I guess. I finally got to start reading yesterday. I hope to get through chapters 4-7 today also.

1. At first I didn't know if I was going to like the book but it grew on me as I got through the chapters. I think that Dex is a womanizer but one with charm that you can't help but like. Emma is endearing in that quirky, crazy way.

2. I think he didn't want to admit that he liked her. Maybe he is scared of commiting to a relationship. I am not sure.

3. I liked her a lot too. The fact that she was not your typical mother made me like her even more, even though I disagree with her cheating tendencies.

4. I am not sure what the authors purpose is in making each chapter a different year but same day and month. I assume it has something to do with the title of the book.

5. The waitressing job. I would rather die than work in a restaurant ever again. Plus it sounds like a dive.

6. I wouldn't say I was surprised by the letter but I was definitely touched. It made me start to like his character because at first I thought he was annoying.

7. I agree. When I saw she hadn't delivered the letter I got a bit angry. I am wondering what the next unfortunate event will be.

message 79: by Laura (last edited Dec 15, 2011 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions Chapter 4-5
1. Do you think Dex goes through so many women to make Em jealous? Or is he just being his regular womanizing self?

I don't know if its to make her jealous or if its just because he is afraid. I sometimes wonder if he is afraid to become committed in a relationship.

2. Is it me, or is Dex really irksome? What do you think is his worst quality? Feel free to rant about Ema too.

I like Dex because he is not like any other character but at times he is a bit too cocky. I really dislike the womanizing.

3. Why are Ema and Dex pussyfooting (can I say that here?) around each other? She likes him, he likes her- so what's the hold up? Must we suffer years/chapters for someone to take the first step?!

I guess it wouldn't be a story if the girl got the guy in the first couple of chapters.

4. I don't know about you, but I thought that nacho poem was gold! I think they should put it on the menu ;)

I totally agree. I thought that was the one that was going to put her on the map.

5. What do you think of the book so far? Is it living up to the hype and, more importantly, your expectations?

I am not completely in love yet.

6. Ema mentions that Dexter slips into a Cockney accent from time to time. If you've never heard one before then here is a clip of Eliza Doolittle's Cockney in My Fair Lady.

How interesting that he would do that.

Lisarenee | 8415 comments Laura,
Dexter is a hard one to figure out. Sometimes the way he acts makes me wonder if something happened that he's either rebelling against or doesn't want to face?

Sashana | 6358 comments I think he's just spoiled.

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Questions for Chapter 8 - Chapter 9

Yea Dexter seemed to both not want Emma and not want anyone else to be with her.

Emma just doesn't seem happy.

I think if Dexter falls far enough he may finally clean up his act.

Foreshadowing?

She seems to be a great teacher that really knows how to connect with her students.

Not really. I think she had a bit of a crush on Dex and didn't want to ruin things.

I think he's jealous that Em is finally doing something she enjoys and getting somewhere in life instead of depending on Dex to be her shoulder to cry on.

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments Questions for Part Three - Chapter 12

People do funny things when they rebound.

I think that Ian is just that puppy dog type that clings to you constantly. Emma never really loved him and led him on for ages. It's something difficult to just walk away from.

I agree.

She sounds like she's not that interested in him. I don't know.

I don't think so. I think he's attempting to, but he'll fall back to old ways as soon as something bad happens. This girl will probably leave him anyway and she seems to be the only reason he's cleaning up. Not because he wants to.

Yea. I can picture kids playing it, but not adults as part of a parlour game. I thought it was a way to make fun of newcomers at first. Can't believe they actually play it.

I think Dex needs to decide to clean up. Having a controlling girlfriend to help him clean up will only solve the problem temporarily. As soon as she's gone he'll go right back to his old ways. Or by simply having a bad day. He doesn't see why it's wrong, he just knows that she doesn't like it.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Lisarenee wrote: "Laura,
Dexter is a hard one to figure out. Sometimes the way he acts makes me wonder if something happened that he's either rebelling against or doesn't want to face?"

yeah, I don't want to believe that he is just a womanizer just because he is a jerk. The more I read, the more I think it has to do with his childhood.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions for Part Two - Chapter 7
1) So just a strange little observation I noticed--this is the second book I've recently read by a male. Usually most of what I read has a female author. Both of my recent male authored books talk about bras. In this book her bra supposedly poked her and the mood was lost. In the other book I read the author went on about a bra that was uncomfortable. lol I'm trying to think of any books written by females that talk about bras and am drawing a blank. I guess some romances will discuss such things occasionally for description or such, but it was just a little observation I made. Can anyone else recall a book where an author takes about bras and is female or male? Could this be a guy thing or am I totally off on this?

The only books I remember reading that talk about bras written by women are talking about them being taken off. This book written by a man is the only male book I remember talking about a bra.

2) Dex seems to be on a downward spiral. Do you think he'll clean up his act or will he continue into self destruction?

I think he will clean up his act. You can tell he doesn't really like himself right now. I think we will see a bit more of this Dex first.

3) If Emma had been home when he called her do you think they would have become a couple?

I don't think that Emma would let herself get with him when he is in the state that he is in. Although I could see them having a real conversation for once and her helping him deal with his mother's illness.

4) Thoughts of Ian as Emma's new boyfriend?

It's obvious that as a mate Emma is not that thrilled with him. I think she likes him more as a friend but just feels lonely so she is going for the only guy she knows that has feelings for her.

5) I'm guessing Dex's mom wanted to discuss her illness in the last set of chapters. Do you agree?

I agree. I think she was going to try to downplay it so that Dex wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

6) Do these small, short glimpses into the relationship Dex and Emma have annoy you? We don't get all the information all at once. We find thing out later after the fact. Does it distort the view of what is going on?

I do find it a bit annoying but not that horribly. Its definitely interesting to see all of the different turns they are taking before they reach whatever end they are going to come to.

7) Do you think Emma is good for Dex? Do you think Dex is good for Emma?

I think Emma is good for Dex but I agree with the other post I saw earlier. I think that Dex in his current state is just bringing Emma down. If he would get himself straightened out though, I think they would be perfect together.

8) St. Swithin's Day is 15 July, a day on which people watch the weather for tradition says that whatever the weather is like on St. Swithin's Day, it will continue so for the next forty days. Do you think Swithin's Day has some significance as to why all these snapshots into the relationship are given. If they get along well it lasts perhaps for the remainder of the year and likewise if they don't? Do you think it's just a coincidence that the author picked this day or do we need to wait for the real reason the book centers on this day?

I am not sure if I think that it is a reflection of their relationship or not. they don't really seem to spend a whole lot of time together in some chapters but I think there are hintings that they are still close.

message 86: by Laura (last edited Dec 19, 2011 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions Chapter 8-9
1) Looks like Ian and Emma are an item and someone isn't too happy about that. tee hee hee
➜Well in his defense it doesn't seem like Emma likes the fact that he dates anyone either. I do agree that he is a hypocrite though.

2) My prediction is this one won't last (Ian and Emma).
➜Well they definitely shouldn't last. It seems like Emma is starting to hate all that he does and is. I am sure they won't last.

➜I agree. I was hoping we would see some sort of climax in these chapters. I don't expect them to get together only half way through the book but I would like to see something other than a drunk, drugged up Dexter and a settling for crap Emma.

What the heck!
➜He obviously has a thing for Emma.

➜She was great! It is exactly how I would have handled it, and I am a teacher. I think she is a natural at it.

➜Suki is annoying, (Ditto). She seems very fake and is just another one of his flings, in my opinion.

➜This offensive because I am a teacher. I chose my profession because of the joy it brings me not because I couldn't do anything else. I think he knows that he is teetering on the edge and that is why he lashes out. He doesn't know how to stop his downward spiral and he is in denial.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions for Part Three - Chapter 12

What a jerk that he would cheat on his wife. I am very disappointed in Emma, even if she was rebounding, I thought she had more morals than this to have an affair.

I think that Ian is just very clingy and having a hard time letting her go. I don't think he is stalking her really. I feel bad for him but am glad that Em let him go.

I think so, although I am not sure if he is going to learn from his mistakes.

I don't think she is in love with him at all. Its funny, but I think she is treating Dex exactly as he has treated all of his past girlfriends.

I don't know if its real or not, only time will tell.

It is strange. I have never even heard of it before. I thought it was just some cruel strange joke the family was playing on Dexter.

I think in a way it is helping him but I don't know if it is ultimately what he needs. She is controlling in a bad, not so nice way, I think.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Answers for Chapter 13

➜Still don't like her. She is very shallow and mean as is the rest of her family.

➜I am hoping he may finally find his calling. Something he can stick with and will get him out of his funk. I don't think it is with Callum and his food thing though.

➜Obviously they still have feelings for each other. I don't know why they continue to pretend they don't.

➜I don't think she loves him enough to want to trick him into marriage. I also don't see why having a baby together always makes people feel like they must marry each other. It never works out if you get married for the baby (well almost never).

➜It is going to end very unhappily, neither one of them likes the other one.

➜I am sure its going to be some ending where they are finally together but not together. Every book I have read where they drag things out like this always ends horribly.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Questions for Part 4- Chapter 23

I have often wondered this of authors like this guy. I guess they want it to be different from every other love story?

I think maybe it gives us the view we never had of how Dexter felt of their first encounter. It also shows us how Em was the first to pull away when we all assumed it was Dex.

3. I feel horrible for Dex, so much that I can't even get angry at him for reverting to his old ways. Just when he puts his life together it falls apart.

I don't think it would have been as plausible if he just got on with life without reverting to his old habits. I did feel a bit mad for him.

Sylvie's. I just didn't think she had it in her to be that nice.

I assume it didn't. I get the feeling that Sylvie was never really happy in that relationship and they had many fights.

I agree with previous post. I think Dex is just settling for Maddy. He doesn't want to be alone and who can blame him. I think she is better than the alternatives.

Its not a five in my opinion but I am not sure what to rate it. I almost want to give it a three. It wasn't terrible but not a book I will ever reread either.

Sashana | 6358 comments I'm glad you finished it, Laura. Will you be watching the movie?

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Yes, I plan to try and rent it in the next few days. I have been told by one person I will hate it and by another person that I will love it. I am trying to reserve judgement until I see it.

Sashana | 6358 comments Let me know what you think when you're done. I wasn't a fan of the movie but I don't know many people who have seen it, I'd love to hear a second opinion.

message 93: by Amy J. (last edited Dec 22, 2011 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy J. | 507 comments I just finished this book and I have to say I didn't like it at all. It's not the kind of book I typically read, but I heard good things about it so I thought I'd give it a go.

I felt cheated by the ending. And while I understand that things like that happen in real life, I read books to escape from reality. I don't enjoy overly sentimental books.

But it wasn't just the ending I didn't enjoy. I thought the whole thing was tedious. And I never felt connected to the story or the characters.

I was shocked my Em's affair with the headmaster, I'm not sure I feel like that's something her character would actually do.

I won't be watching the movie.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments I think I agree with you about the headmaster thing. It just seemed odd that Emma, who I thought to be a character with high moral standards, would have an affair at all.

RebeccaS (RebeccaKS) | 930 comments The end really disappointed me. I kind of knew something like that was going to happen, since Emma and Dex seemed to be happy and have their life somewhat together. So when the ending came I was kinda like okay, that's it? I mean I was sad because I liked Emma and was finally getting over my annoyance with Dex. I dunno I was hoping for something less predictable.

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments It was fairly predictable. I kinda think the book would have been better if Dexter died instead. I think that might have been a bit less predictable maybe?

message 97: by RebeccaS (last edited Dec 22, 2011 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RebeccaS (RebeccaKS) | 930 comments Yeah that might have been better. It just kind of annoyed me how, once Emma died, Dex went back to his crazy self for a while then found another woman. I just wanted to smack my forehead and say Come on, Not Again!

Laura (lglovett) | 1497 comments Just watched the movie. I must say I didn't like it at all. I thought that they left out key important details about the relationship. I also think the characters weren't portrayed the best that they could have been. I wasn't in love with the book either but I think it did a much better job of at least showing their true feelings throughout.

Sashana | 6358 comments Laura wrote: "Just watched the movie. I must say I didn't like it at all. I thought that they left out key important details about the relationship. I also think the characters weren't portrayed the best that th..."

Ditto. The movie left so many details out, especially from the early years.

Jex (Jexball) | 2268 comments I don't think I could ever sit throught the movie. Although it probably would have been preferable to sitting through the book. Seriously...who uses the words "and then she died" to describe a main characters death? I just wasn't pleased with this book at all.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One Day (other topics)
One Day (other topics)
One Day (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Nicholls (other topics)