Novel Books & Reading Challenges discussion

One Day
This topic is about One Day
Authors; M - P > Nicholls, David - One Day - December Anything Goes BOM - Start Date December 1st 2011

Comments (showing 1-50 of 101) (101 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by The Red Baron, All the Mods (last edited Nov 18, 2011 07:11AM) (new) - added it

The Red Baron | 8466 comments This topic is open for discussion of One Day by David Nicholls. Be prepared for Spoilers.
                     One Day by David NichollsOne Day   by David NichollsOne Day by David Nicholls

Goodreads Description
Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY. From the author of the massive bestseller STARTER FOR TEN.

message 2: by The Red Baron, All the Mods (new) - added it

The Red Baron | 8466 comments Reserved

message 3: by The Red Baron, All the Mods (new) - added it

The Red Baron | 8466 comments Reserved

Jex (Jexball) | 2202 comments #152 in line for this one. Doesn't look like I'll be joining many group reads this month.

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Awww Jex..:-(

Jex (Jexball) | 2202 comments I found out the library has the ebook of this one and I'm 8th in line. Better chance then 152 :-P

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Yaay!

message 9: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 01, 2011 04:52AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8410 comments
                              Chapter reading break downs

Date Chapters Pages Questions
December 1 Part One - Chapter 3 1 - 51 Sashana
December 2 Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 52 - 103
December 3 Part Two - Chapter 7 53 - 154
December 4 Chapter 8 - Chapter 9 155 - 213
December 5 Part Three - Chapter 12 214 - 262
December 6 Chapter 13 - Chapter 13 263 - 296
December 7 Chapter 14 - Chapter 15 297 - 349
December 8 Part Four - Chapter 23 350 - 435

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Does this break down seem okay?

RebeccaS (RebeccaKS) | 541 comments I actually read this book over the summer so I can definitely join this!

message 12: by Sashana (last edited Dec 01, 2011 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Works for me!

Glad to have you, Rebecca. Did you see the movie yet? I plan to watch it when I'm done.

Sashana | 6358 comments Lisa and Anomander do you guys know what days you want to make your set of question? (I figured we should start doing this earlier on)

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments *shrugs* Can't say yet. Just put me on days that you need help with?

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Thanks! Nite,Sashana.

Sashana | 6358 comments Already? (G'night!) What time is it over there?

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Past midnight.

Sashana | 6358 comments No wonder you always post your questions so early :). I didn't realize the time differences was so big (It's 2 PM where I live). But I won't hold you any longer, get some sleep.

Melissia (melissia501) I'm hoping to join...number 7 on the list at the library.

Sashana | 6358 comments You can answer the questions at a later date Melissia. It's been done before. I should be posting the first set of questions later today.

message 22: by Sashana (last edited Dec 01, 2011 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Questions for Chapters 1-3

1. Interesting pair these two. Em likes Dex but Dex can't wait to get the hell out of Dodge and as far away from Em as possible. What were your first impressions of Emma and Dexter?

2. It doesn't seem like Dex is interested in Emma (certainly not as interested as she is). Why do you think he stays in contact with her?

3. Like mother, like son. I have to say, I enjoyed Dexter's mother- normal she is not. What did you guys think of her? Any predictions for what she was about to tell Dex?

4. Did you realize that each chapter is a different year but the month and day remain the same (July 15)? What do you think is the author's purpose for doing this?

5. Which of Emma's jobs do you think was more horrible, the acting gig or the waitress job?

6. Was I the only one surprised by Dex's sentimental letter? I didn't know he had it in him.

7. Damn you, Heidi Schindler! I can't believe the letter wasn't delivered. And just when Dex was being decent too. Why do I feel like we'll be reading about a series of unfortunate events from now on?

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Chapters 1-3

1. Interesting pair these two. Em likes Dex but Dex can't wait to get the hell out of Dodge and as far away from Em as possible. What were your first impressions of Emma and Dexter?
I thought and still think (for the most part) that Dex is way too into himself and has a lot of growing up to do. I think Emma is naïve and sweet but she tries to cover it up with sarcasm.

2. It doesn't seem like Dex is interested in Emma (certainly not as interested as she is). Why do you think he stays in contact with her?
Well I’ve changed my mind a little because I can see that he’s a bit interested in her after that letter. But he has a poor way of showing it, running around sleeping with everything that moves. I think he likes her because she’s truthful with him, she doesn’t fawn (openly) at him.

3. Like mother, like son. I have to say, I enjoyed Dexter's mother- normal she is not. What did you guys think of her? Any predictions for what she was about to tell Dex?
It was nice seeing where Dex got his ‘charm’ from. I almost wish that she had a bigger roll in the book.

4. Did you realize that each chapter is a different year but the month and day remain the same (July 15)? What do you think is the author's purpose for doing this?
I think this is year the ‘One Day’ comes in.

5. Which of Emma's jobs do you think was more horrible, the acting gig or the waitress job?
The acting job.

6. Was I the only one surprised by Dex's sentimental letter? I didn't know he had it in him.
I think there’s hope for him yet!

7. Damn you, Heidi Schindler! I can't believe the letter wasn't delivered. And just when Dex was being decent too. Why do I feel like we'll be reading about a series of unfortunate events from now on?
Pox on Heidi! But yes, I think we’ll be seeing more mishaps, misunderstandings, and miscommunication with these too. A lot of misses.

Sashana | 6358 comments Is anyone out there? *echo...echo...echo*

Are you taking today's set of questions, Lisa?

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Hehehe hey! I'm here. Wassup?

Sashana | 6358 comments I was just wondering where everyone went. It's kind of lonely on this thread *sniffle*

Midu Hadi | 2487 comments Awwww...*hugs* Lisa Kay's around somewhere I'm sure!

Melissia (melissia501) The book came in today! I will get some reading done and start :)

Shay | 959 comments I just started. I've been under the weather recently. For some reason, and I'm not too far into it, the book kind of reminds me of the movie "When Harry Met Sally". They meet, they don't fall in love at first sight, but keep up some kind of relationship over a long period of time. Until, I'm guessing, they fall in love. (I'm assuming the book will eventually get there.)

Lisarenee | 8410 comments I need to catch up Sashana, I got overwhelmed with some other stuff, but if no one is posting I'll do it later tonight, after I read 100 pages.

Sashana | 6358 comments Yes! People :) lol

Lisa since everyone is trying to catch up don't feel like you have to rush.

Shay, sometimes I miss the big picture but you are so right. This is like When Harry Met Sally. I can't believe I didn't see the link. What do you think of Dex?

Thanks for joining us Melissa and Shay!

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Didn't get as far tonight as I wanted, but will get up early and read then try to post questions.

Sashana | 6358 comments No problem. I'm about to call it a night myself.

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Sashana, Can you do the questions. I'm still running behind.

message 36: by Sashana (last edited Dec 03, 2011 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sashana | 6358 comments Questions for Chapter 4-5
1. Do you think Dex goes through so many women to make Em jealous? Or is he just being his regular womanizing self?

2. Is it me, or is Dex really irksome? What do you think is his worst quality? Feel free to rant about Ema too.

3. Why are Ema and Dex pussyfooting (can I say that here?) around each other? She likes him, he likes her- so what's the hold up? Must we suffer years/chapters for someone to take the first step?!

4. I don't know about you, but I thought that nacho poem was gold! I think they should put it on the menu ;)

5. What do you think of the book so far? Is it living up to the hype and, more importantly, your expectations?

6. Ema mentions that Dexter slips into a Cockney accent from time to time. If you've never heard one before then here is a clip of Eliza Doolittle's Cockney in My Fair Lady
----------------------------------------------------

Personal Thoughts:

1. I love the writing and hints of humor. I'm also enjoying the Brit slang but I can't bring myself to like Dexter.

2. Am I the only one that notices that Toph's (if that's her name) age gets changed every time she is mentioned? Dexter is such a liar! And I can't believe he slept with Em's roommate.

3. He kissed a guy? As if he didn't shag (hehe) enough girls. And what's up with him and drugs?

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Questions for Chapters 1-3

I don't think Dexter necessarily wanted to get away from Em just away. Em is smart not to get involved.

I think he does like her as much as she likes him.

No idea what she was about to tell him. Just realized they never revealed it. She was okay.

I noticed that. It's also a specific holiday.

Waitress.

I wasn't surprised.

I know. How terrible.

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Questions for Chapter 4-5
1. Do you think Dex goes through so many women to make Em jealous? Or is he just being his regular womanizing self?

I was wondering that myself. I think he doesn't realize she never got the letter to meet him in India. Why does he keep throwing money at her? Is he trying to impress her?

2. Is it me, or is Dex really irksome? What do you think is his worst quality? Feel free to rant about Ema too.

His worst is he's a womanizer and wouldn't mind if Ema became one with him.

3. Why are Ema and Dex pussyfooting (can I say that here?) around each other? She likes him, he likes her- so what's the hold up? Must we suffer years/chapters for someone to take the first step?!

I'm starting to wonder if this will not have a happy ending?

4. I don't know about you, but I thought that nacho poem was gold! I think they should put it on the menu ;)

It was cute.

5. What do you think of the book so far? Is it living up to the hype and, more importantly, your expectations?

It's cute but I'm not wowed yet.

6. Ema mentions that Dexter slips into a Cockney accent from time to time. If you've never heard one before then here is a clip of Eliza Doolittle's Cockney in My Fair Lady

You forgot the clip.

I'm not loving his drug fest either.
----------------------------------------------------

Sashana | 6358 comments What holiday is it, Lisa?

It's hyper linked as My Fair Lady.

Melissia (melissia501) Questions for Chapters 1-3

I though Emma seemed like a typical college girl, anxious to get involved with the handsome guy. I thought Dexter seemed like the typical college guy, just anxious to get the girl in bed and have no attachments. I agree that Dexter seems very into himself, however the letter her wrote in India was quite a surprise.

He doesn't really at first, just the casual, non-committal postcards at first. I think he probably felt like he should keep in touch as she wrote him but he wrote more letters as he got more invested in their friendship and his feelings became more.

So far we haven't seem too much so I don't have a strong impression of her except she was probably a mother that maybe was more of a friend than a mother growing up. I like her, would probably think she was a cool mom, if I was Dexter's friend. my guess based on his letter is that she is sick, although she said it wasn't anything bad.

I didn't until the 3rd chapter. The title is one day, so I guess just to show how a relationship changes and grows throughout the year and to tie it together with the one day.

The waitress job because she was letting herself get stuck there.

I was definitely surprised, and not surprised that he didn't send it.

It wouldn't be as interesting of a book if we didn't, huh? :)

Lisarenee | 8410 comments What does hyper linked mean?

message 42: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 03, 2011 08:20PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8410 comments What holiday? Why haven't you ever heard of St. Swithin's Day? I know I hadn't before this book. *smirk*

St. Swithin's Day is 15 July, a day on which people watch the weather for tradition says that whatever the weather is like on St. Swithin's Day, it will continue so for the next forty days.

There is a weather-rhyme is well known throughout the British Isles since Elizabethan times. Copied from projectbritain.com:

'St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St. Swithin's day if thou be fair
For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.'

Check out http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.... for more info

Sashana | 6358 comments "A hyperlink (or link) is a word, group of words, or image that you can click on to jump to a new document or a new section within the current document."

Eliza's Cockney

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Okay, thanks. That's what I thought it was but didn't see anything underlined or looking like a link. I thought maybe I was wrong with what it was. I now clearly see My Fair Lady looks different. I've been fighting a headache all day and am not thinking properly.

Sashana | 6358 comments (view spoiler)

message 46: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 04, 2011 09:32AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Questions for Part Two - Chapter 7
1) So just a strange little observation I noticed--this is the second book I've recently read by a male. Usually most of what I read has a female author. Both of my recent male authored books talk about bras. In this book her bra supposedly poked her and the mood was lost. In the other book I read the author went on about a bra that was uncomfortable. lol I'm trying to think of any books written by females that talk about bras and am drawing a blank. I guess some romances will discuss such things occasionally for description or such, but it was just a little observation I made. Can anyone else recall a book where an author takes about bras and is female or male? Could this be a guy thing or am I totally off on this?

2) Dex seems to be on a downward spiral. Do you think he'll clean up his act or will he continue into self destruction?

3) If Emma had been home when he called her do you think they would have become a couple?

4) Thoughts of Ian as Emma's new boyfriend?

5) I'm guessing Dex's mom wanted to discuss her illness in the last set of chapters. Do you agree?

6) Do these small, short glimpses into the relationship Dex and Emma have annoy you? We don't get all the information all at once. We find thing out later after the fact. Does it distort the view of what is going on?

7) Do you think Emma is good for Dex? Do you think Dex is good for Emma?

8) St. Swithin's Day is 15 July, a day on which people watch the weather for tradition says that whatever the weather is like on St. Swithin's Day, it will continue so for the next forty days. Do you think Swithin's Day has some significance as to why all these snapshots into the relationship are given. If they get along well it lasts perhaps for the remainder of the year and likewise if they don't? Do you think it's just a coincidence that the author picked this day or do we need to wait for the real reason the book centers on this day?

Lisarenee | 8410 comments I'll try to read the next 50 pages and post questions tonight.

Sashana | 6358 comments Answers for Part Two - Chapter 7

1) So just a strange little observation I noticed--this is the second book I've recently read by a male. Usually most of what I read has a female author. Both of my recent male authored books talk about bras. In this book her bra supposedly poked her and the mood was lost. In the other book I read the author went on about a bra that was uncomfortable. lol I'm trying to think of any books written by females that talk about bras and am drawing a blank. I guess some romances will discuss such things occasionally for description or such, but it was just a little observation I made. Can anyone else recall a book where an author takes about bras and is female or male? Could this be a guy thing or am I totally off on this?
I really don't read a lot of male authors to begin with so I might not be the best person to answer this. I could count on one hand how many male authors I've read this year. For the most part female authors don't really go on about bras.

2) Dex seems to be on a downward spiral. Do you think he'll clean up his act or will he continue into self destruction?
He's a mess and I see him getting worse before he can get better.

3) If Emma had been home when he called her do you think they would have become a couple?
I think so. They seem to miss a lot of opportunities.

4) Thoughts of Ian as Emma's new boyfriend?
I think he's a good guy who loves Emma way more than she loves him. I think it's cute that he gets nervous around her and wants to impress her. I'm also glad that Emma isn't sitting around and pining for Dex.

5) I'm guessing Dex's mom wanted to discuss her illness in the last set of chapters. Do you agree?
Agreed. I suspected that it was sickness but I thought it had to do with the dad since he is older.

6) Do these small, short glimpses into the relationship Dex and Emma have annoy you? We don't get all the information all at once. We find thing out later after the fact. Does it distort the view of what is going on?
Yes and no. I would love to see more of their relationship but I am enjoying their individual stories as well.

7) Do you think Emma is good for Dex? Do you think Dex is good for Emma?
I think Emma is good for Dex, but I don't think Dex is good for Emma. He needs to stop drinking, doing drugs, and tone down the smugness and partying.

8) St. Swithin's Day is 15 July, a day on which people watch the weather for tradition says that whatever the weather is like on St. Swithin's Day, it will continue so for the next forty days. Do you think Swithin's Day has some significance as to why all these snapshots into the relationship are given. If they get along well it lasts perhaps for the remainder of the year and likewise if they don't? Do you think it's just a coincidence that the author picked this day or do we need to wait for the real reason the book centers on this day?
Interesting, Lisa. Maybe the way they feel on July 15 is the way they feel for that year (as opposed to 40 years). I would love to know what the author has to say about it.

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Sashana, I'll write questions tomorrow morning. Spent too much time on challenge this evening instead of reading. Also, took a relatively new to me headache medicine last night to get rid of my headache and woke last night itching like I had a bad case of poison ivy. I am still itchy. I hate being allergic to medicines. Good news is there's no trace of the headache.

Lisarenee | 8410 comments Starting questions

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

One Day (other topics)
One Day (other topics)
One Day (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

David Nicholls (other topics)