The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP WINTER 2011 > 10.5 - It’s Summer Somewhere

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (Passion for the Page) (last edited Nov 26, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Kristi (Passion for the Page) (PassionforthePage) | 5057 comments Mod
10.5 It’s Summer Somewhere: Let's warm up! Read a book that is set in the southern hemisphere OR one that takes place during the summer. These maps might help: Hemisphere Map, African Map, South American Map. As long as part of a country is in the Southern Hemisphere (ex: Kenya, Columbia, Brazil, etc), it can be used for this task. Required: State how the book fits the task if it is not obvious from the Goodreads description.

message 2: by Kristi (Passion for the Page) (last edited Dec 14, 2011 06:52AM) (new)

Approved:
King Solomon's Mines - set in South Africa
I Am the Messenger - set in Australia
Shadowed Summer - takes place during the summer
A Separate Peace - set during the summer

These won't work:
She
Half of a Yellow Sun - set in Nigeria
Heart of Steel - set in Morocco
The Twentieth Wife - set in India

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

She Would this book work?

April | 292 comments Will The Twentieth Wife work? I'm pretty sure it's set entirely in India

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 406 comments April wrote: "Will The Twentieth Wife work? I'm pretty sure it's set entirely in India"

I think the entirety of India is located in the Northern Hemisphere.

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Just wanted to check and see if King Solomon's Mines will work?

Christine US (ChristineUS) | 528 comments Just throwing out a suggestion: From our AUSTRALIA challenge -- I bet there are some good suggestions, if you scroll down that those Task Help threads.

Meghanly | 153 comments I was just writing to check that Australia counted, siince it wasn't mentioned in the description. I am planning to read I Am the Messenger, which is set in Australia. Hoping this will work!

Sandy | 5840 comments Mod
Take a look at post 2 in the help thread for 5.2 this season - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6....

★Meghan★ wrote: "Just wanted to check and see if King Solomon's Mines will work?"

Yes, this works. It appears to be set in South Africa.

Meghanly wrote: "I was just writing to check that Australia counted, siince it wasn't mentioned in the description. I am planning to read I Am the Messenger, which is set in Australia. Hoping this will..."

Australia definitely works. It lies entirely in the Southern Hemisphere.

☆Rebecca G. wrote: "She Would this book work?"

Sorry, Rebecca. I don't think this one is going to work. All I can find about the setting is that it's set in a a fictitious African lost city. Since most of Africa lies in the Northern Hemisphere, I would need more information to approve this one. If you find a source with that information, feel free to post it here and I'll revisit that decision.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

:) I'll just switch mine to King Solomon's Mines, didn't really think about that one and it's on my TBR :)

Midu Hadi | 705 comments Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchellokay?

Anomander wrote: "Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchellokay?"

Yes, that works.

Jade aka MrsTosh (MrsTosh) Would Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer as part of the book is set in Rio?

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 910 comments How about Stolen: A Letter to My Captor work? It is set in Australia.

Jade wrote: "Would Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer as part of the book is set in Rio?"

Brazil works.

Kathryn CA wrote: "How about Stolen: A Letter to My Captor work? It is set in Australia."

Yes. Australia works.

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments since you said it has to take place in the southern hemisphere OR during the summer does that mean a book set anywhere as long as it's summer will work?
For example Dead is So Last Year by Marlene Perez.

Sarah (MoragEpona) | 124 comments kind of along the lines of Robin's question, that OR part, would "The Summer I turned pretty" work, as that's set during the summer...?

message 22: by Kristi (Passion for the Page) (last edited Nov 26, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

Robin wrote: "since you said it has to take place in the southern hemisphere OR during the summer does that mean a book set anywhere as long as it's summer will work?
For example Dead is So Last Year by Marlene..."

Correct. The book can be set anywhere in the world if it is set during the summer. So Dead Is So Last Year will work. And so will The Summer I Turned Pretty.

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 910 comments I am so glad you guys asked that because I missed the OR. lol, I thought it had to be in the Southern Hemisphere and during summer. lol, that clarification just made the task so much easier.

Kathryn CA wrote: "I am so glad you guys asked that because I missed the OR. lol, I thought it had to be in the Southern Hemisphere and during summer. lol, that clarification just made the task so much easier."

You're probably not the only one. I bolded and capitalized the OR, just in case. Thanks for pointing out that you missed it ;-)!

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments I totally didn't even see the set during the summer part of the task... I just thought they had to be in the Southern Hemisphere.

Darlene | 37 comments This one takes place in Morocco. Does that work?

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook

Darlene wrote: "This one takes place in Morocco. Does that work?

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook"

No, sorry, Morocco lies north of the equator.

Darlene | 37 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Darlene wrote: "This one takes place in Morocco. Does that work?

Heart of Steel (Iron Seas, #2) by Meljean Brook"

No, sorry, Morocco lies north of the equator."

Oh, boy, my geography is rusty! LOL!!

Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Would Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie be ok?"

Biafra was in south-eastern Nigeria. Nigeria is north of the equator. So, sorry, this one won't work.

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 867 comments I was just looking at:

The Dovekeepersand it is set on a desert mountain, but not in the Southern Hemisphere. I can't tell if it's summer, but does the desert setting make it ok? If not, I have another one that fits, so I'm just checking.

Deedee | 1084 comments Helliconia Summer

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helliconia

The Helliconia Trilogy is a series of science fiction books by Brian Aldiss, set on the Earth-like planet Helliconia. It is an epic chronicling the rise and fall of a civilization over more than a thousand years as the planet progresses through its incredibly long seasons, which last for centuries.

Book #2 is Helliconia Summer which takes place during the "summer" heating centuries of the planet.

Would this count as "takes place during the summer"? Thanks

Bea | 1488 comments I just checked GR for A Separate Peace which I had planned to read for this task. GR description did not say anything that indicated summer but the back cover of my copy of the book says "What happened between them (Gene and Phineas) at school one summer during the early years of World War II is the subject of A SEPARATE PEACE."

May I use this book for this task?

Karen GHHS wrote: "I was just looking at:

The Dovekeepersand it is set on a desert mountain, but not in the Southern Hemisphere. I can't tell if it's summer, but does the desert setting make it ok? I..."

No, sorry, desert won't work (unless you find out that it's summer in the desert).

Deedee wrote: "Helliconia Summer

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helliconia

The Helliconia Trilogy is a series of science fiction books by Brian Aldiss, set on the Earth-like planet Helliconia..."

That will work. You might want to explain it when you claim the book, though. The GRs description doesn't make it all that clear as to what's goining on.

Bea wrote: "I just checked GR for A Separate Peace which I had planned to read for this task. GR description did not say anything that indicated summer but the back cover of my copy of the book s..."

The edition you linked to has exactly that wording in the GRs description. Yes, it will work.

Bea | 1488 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "Bea wrote: "I just checked GR for A Separate Peace which I had planned to read for this task. GR description did not say anything that indicated summer but the back cover of my copy o..."

Oh! I linked to it because the cover was the same but had previously just looked at any edition for the description. Never occurred to me the descriptions would be different. THANKS!

chucklesthescot I'm looking forward to reading a book set in Borneo for this challenge, just as something different!

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1308 comments I was planning on reading Up Over Down Under, but found out when I got it from the library that only half of it takes place in Australia. The other takes place in Washington D.C. Will it work if half of the book takes place in the southern hemisphere?

Stacie wrote: "I was planning on reading Up Over Down Under, but found out when I got it from the library that only half of it takes place in Australia. The other takes place in Washington D.C. Wi..."

Yes. As long as at least half the book is set in the southern hemisphere, it'll work.

Midu Hadi | 705 comments Would Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch, #1) by Kimberly Frost work?

Midu wrote: "Would Would-Be Witch (Southern Witch, #1) by Kimberly Frost work?"

Sorry, I don't see a mention of the time of year this book takes place in the GRs description. Does it take place during the summer?

Otherwise, it looks like the setting is the southern United States which is firmly in the northern hemisphere. So it won't work for that option.....

Midu Hadi | 705 comments Thanks, Kristi!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

She (other topics)
The Twentieth Wife (other topics)
King Solomon's Mines (other topics)
I Am the Messenger (other topics)
Shadowed Summer (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (other topics)