Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Your Recommendations > ...for Mail-Order Bride Romances

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Nov 17, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Rachel Brand | 450 comments This is a bit more specific than the Historical or Romance recommendations. What are your favourite novels about mail-order brides? I've read a few this year and have really enjoyed them. I'm actually working on a novel of my own about a mail-order bride so I'd like to read more to spark my inspiration.

Also, have there been any novels you've read that have put a new spin on the traditional mail-order bride plot? I've read a couple of really good ones this year.

Right now I'm reading Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love which includes four short stories from different authors.

Earlier this year, I read Spring for Susannah by Catherine Richmond.

Love Finds You in Poetry, Texas by Janice Hanna had a twist on the usual tale, with the heroine being a marriage broker who arranged mail-order brides for the men of the town.

A Hopeful Heart by Kim Vogel Sawyer featured several girls who had travelled West to attend a rancher's school to train to be brides of local men.

Rugged and Relentless by Kelly Eileen Hake is the first in a series of books in which three women try to arrange mail-order husbands in order to further their business prospects. The second book is out soon and I have high hopes for it!

What are your favourites?

message 2: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2725 comments Mod
I haven't read very many of these actually, but I did love Spring for Susannah.

message 4: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 5 comments Lorie wrote: "I am waiting to read Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek." .

Paper Roses is another one on my list to read. I think it was a Kindle freebie.

message 5: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 15 comments "Mail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family/Christmas Stars for Dry Creek" is at Wal-Mart right now. You have to get it. Two sweet stories for the Christmas season. I could not put it down!

message 6: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 20 comments I have read many of this type as I love to think of someone coming long way and finding Love when they only wanted companionship.
2 books I have read are Yankee Wife by Linda Lael Miller and Dallas Schulze book Short Straw Bride.

message 7: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 3017 comments Mod
Just finished Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love and I really liked it. Just posted it to paperbackswap.com if anyone is interested.

message 8: by Spunky (new)

Spunky Reader | 5 comments Janette Oke's "A Bride For Donnigan" was really good. I loved the way the characters came to salvation~very unique.

I also just read my first Lori Copeland book~"Faith". It was a good read and it's free on Amazon right now.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (Cinderella16) A Bride for Donnigan is one of my favorites. You should try it.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann A. (chatterann) | 2 comments How do you make the green link things?

I love the Lori Copeland books-- so good! I've read the first 3 Brides of the West series books (which starts with Faith).

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina | 2 comments Ann - to link book titles in your comment, click "add book/author" right above the comment box.

message 12: by CarolynB (last edited Sep 01, 2012 11:43AM) (new)

CarolynB (CarolynLB) | 39 comments Tina wrote: "Ann - to link book titles in your comment, click "add book/author" right above the comment box."

Thanks, Tina. I've been wondering how to do that, too! I'm going to test it right now and say that I am currently reading The Last Thing I Remember (The Homelanders #1) by Andrew Klavan

message 13: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments Ann wrote: "I love the Lori Copeland books-- so good! I've read the first 3 Brides of the West series books (which starts with Faith)."

That whole series is really good! :)

message 14: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments Another great one --- Rocky Mountain Oasis by Lynnette Bonner Rocky Mountain Oasis by Lynnette Bonner

message 15: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 15 comments A new book, Sagebrush Knights will come out either October or November. I just finished yesterday. It's a sweet set of stories of 4 sisters who are mail order brides.

message 16: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments A Bride for a Bit by JoAnn A. Grote A Bride for a Bit by JoAnn A. Grote was pretty good too :)

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryannie) | 4 comments Loved the new "Mail-Order Holiday Brides"!

message 18: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments Has anyone read the Texas Boardinghouse Brides Trilogy by Vickie McDonough?
The Anonymous Bride by Vickie McDonough Second Chance Brides by Vickie McDonough Finally a Bride by Vickie McDonough
I'm reading book 1 right now & it seems like this is going to be a pretty good mail-order brides series! :)

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 41 comments These two books by Janet Tronstad and Jillian Hart have already been mentioned earlier, but both are wonderful. All of the stories are set at Christmastime.

Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek Mail-Order Holiday Brides Home for Christmas\Snowflakes for Dry Creek by Jillian Hart

Mail-Order Christmas Brides Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek by Jillian HartMail-Order Christmas Brides: Her Christmas Family\Christmas Stars for Dry Creek

message 20: by Virginia (new)

Virginia | 4 comments Loved the new book that just came out called A Bride For All Seasons. It was fantastic!! We need more books like this!!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Mandey1) | 146 comments I really liked From Russia With Love by Colleen Coble. :-)

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa_jagears) | 7 comments Hello! I thought I'd jump in this thread because I just revamped my Historical fiction Index and this is the kind of question this website was built for!

I chose from "Types of Characters" the Mail order brides option and it gives you a list of them! http://inspirationalhistoricalfiction...

You can even narrow it down to what state etc.

And well, I'll throw my Mail order bride book into the discussion, I kinda like it. *blushing smile*

A Bride for Keeps by Melissa Jagears

And if you want to try me out, the prequel (which has a cameo mail-order bride who'll show up elsewhere in the series) Is a permanently free ebook! Love by the Letter by Melissa Jagears

The rest of the series will have mail order brides as well in some capacity.

message 23: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments I just finished A Bride for Keeps by Melissa Jagears It's very good! :)
And the prequel is good too. :)

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita (AlamoAA) | 42 comments Aerykah wrote: "Another great one --- Rocky Mountain Oasis (The Shepherd's Heart #1) by Lynnette Bonner Rocky Mountain Oasis by Lynnette Bonner"

I loved this series by Lynnette.

message 25: by Anita (new)

Anita (AlamoAA) | 42 comments Aerykah wrote: "Ann wrote: "I love the Lori Copeland books-- so good! I've read the first 3 Brides of the West series books (which starts with Faith)."

That whole series is really good! :)"

Excellent series

message 26: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (luv2write12) | 19 comments I've read so many of these! I think this is one of my favorite subgenres of Christian historical fiction. Right now I'm reading the series The Blue Willow Brides by Maggie Brendan. They have to do with three sisters who become mail-order brides.

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Daws | 6 comments I enjoyed Twice Promised by Maggie Brendan -- two brides show up for the same guy, ordered by his brother. It's the second of the Blue Willow Brides series (haven't read the first one yet, but I wasn't lost at all in the second).

message 28: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 931 comments I'm currently reading Two Brides Too Many (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #1) by Mona Hodgson by Mona Hodgson. It's pretty good.

message 29: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 5 comments I just finished Laura's Redemption by Emily Josephine it was a the best mail-order book I have ever read. Check her out.

message 30: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments A Bride most Begrudging by Deeanne Gist

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Christmas Mail-Order Brides: Four Mail-Order Brides Travel the Transcontinental Railroad in Search of Love (other topics)
A Hopeful Heart (other topics)
Rugged and Relentless (other topics)
Love Finds You in Poetry, Texas (other topics)
Spring for Susannah (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Catherine Richmond (other topics)
Kelly Eileen Hake (other topics)
Janice Hanna (other topics)
Kim Vogel Sawyer (other topics)
Lynnette Bonner (other topics)
More...