Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

Why is it called 'Catching Fire?'

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani (last edited Nov 16, 2011 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I get why The Hunger Games is called "The Hunger Games" (not that dumb) and I understand the third title "Mockingjay". But I still don't understand the significance behind "Catching Fire".

Kiersten Because she "started a fire" and now everyone will join the rebellion

Kristen I think it's a reference to Katniss inciting the rebellion. She was 'the girl on fire' and her actions (of rebelling with the berries)'caught' like fire...

Kiersten Kristen wrote: "I think it's a reference to Katniss inciting the rebellion. She was 'the girl on fire' and her actions (of rebelling with the berries)'caught' like fire..."

exactly

Dani Kristen wrote: "I think it's a reference to Katniss inciting the rebellion. She was 'the girl on fire' and her actions (of rebelling with the berries)'caught' like fire..."

Perfect explanation, thanks :)

Kristen welcome :)

message 7: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee there is also a quote about how she was the spark that might be needed - maybe when she was talking to the head game-maker...so I saw it as the spark of the rebellion, and it catching fire from there

Kathryn Also, its called "Catching Fire" because when she goes into the ring during the ceremony, remember her costume sparkles, (Collins described it not necessarily using these words), glitters which gives the effect she is on fire.

But I also agree with the other answers above how she is the spark needed for the rebellion.

message 9: by Lucero (new)

Lucero its called catching fire b/c Katniss' costume was on fire, she lighted the rebellion(or started it)then it caught on fire(more people started to rebel against the capital), and yeah

Katherine Am I the only one who feels like "Catching Fire" could have two meanings? One, is what everyone's saying. Katniss ignited a rebellion, and it's catching on. Two, is that (for the first half of the book) she is trying to "catch" the fire. Snow says something about the Spark she caused, and..basically asks her to catch it. (And to "catch" fire would be impossible, as was her task.)
Okay, I'm aware I just sound stupid. But it's what I thought at first!

*~Emo: {Evanna} :Goth~* I think it's because that when PEeta and KAtniss's relationship getsmore real, and he is catching fire, and she fire, I know its not that butits an idea

Kathryn Katherine wrote: "Am I the only one who feels like "Catching Fire" could have two meanings? One, is what everyone's saying. Katniss ignited a rebellion, and it's catching on. Two, is that (for the first half of the ..."

I kind of get what you're trying to say with the second idea. I read these books over a year ago, and if I remember correctly, Katniss was resistant to be apart of the rebellion. She needed to 'get a hold' of the role she was going to play in the rebellion, the fact she started the rebellion and embrace the idea of being the leader or at least the symbol.

But it also is part of the fact when she entered the ring, her costume caught fire, or gave the impression it caught fire. The title has a lot of different meanings with the story.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] Katniss was the girl on fire. She made everyone catch fire. The fire was spread around and turned the Capitol into ashes.

Jordan Because fire is catching and if we burn you burn with us!

Garrison its because she started the rebellion
and the districts are "catching fire" with it
it can also relate to what happens to district 12 in the end

David Katherine wrote: "Am I the only one who feels like "Catching Fire" could have two meanings? One, is what everyone's saying. Katniss ignited a rebellion, and it's catching on. Two, is that (for the first half of the ..." I totally agree with this!

message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne Garrison wrote: "its because she started the rebellion
and the districts are "catching fire" with it
it can also relate to what happens to district 12 in the end"

That's exactly what I thought too.

Annie Because the rebellion is 'catching fire'. At least that's what I think.

Annie Because the rebellion is 'catching fire'. At least that's what I think.

message 20: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin She started the rebellion and known as the girl on fire :D

message 21: by Hayz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hayz I agree, the beginning of the 3rd is the part that is Catching Fire. I completely understand book 1 & 3. But 2? What eva!

Kirby Hayz wrote: "I agree, the beginning of the 3rd is the part that is Catching Fire. I completely understand book 1 & 3. But 2? What eva!"

what? I don't understand what you mean...

Kathryn Kirby wrote: "Hayz wrote: "I agree, the beginning of the 3rd is the part that is Catching Fire. I completely understand book 1 & 3. But 2? What eva!"

what? I don't understand what you mean..."

LOL...I think maybe the idea/concept behind Catching Fire, the deeper meaning, was probably a little too deep for some people. There are 4-5 reasons why its called Catching Fire, and some are implied and some are obvious. Guess some people just don't get it. (Not trying to be rude).

Charlie Meserve Because everyone's so freaking hot

message 25: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma I always thought it was because for much of the begining of the book she was trying to stop the rebellion (because president snow was threatening her family if she didn't succeed) so she was trying to "catch" the fire that she incited and then realizes that that is impossible.

Jared Green because at the end of the hunger games she eats the berry and the thought of rebellion in the districts burns in most of them

message 27: by Faye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faye Trixia Because Katniss was like trying to put out the fire that the rebels are igniting. however, Katniss unknowingly ignited the fire that would burn Panem when she ate the wild berries aka nightlock.

Chelsea Denisse I think it's because when she was at her Interview, her wedding dress caught on fire and turned into a mockingjay dress

Quinn Jackson Jordan wrote: "Because fire is catching and if we burn you burn with us!"

Yes! That's what it's from

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

because she started the rebellion meaning she started the fire, gave the spark call it whatever u want

message 31: by Kara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara Charlie wrote: "Because everyone's so freaking hot"

Haha! *Like*

Charlotte haha lol ^^

Chelsea Denisse Larfmann wrote: "Because Katniss' dress caught fire and turned her into mockingjay"

Yes! Finally someone that agrees with me!

Kathryn Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Larfmann wrote: "Because Katniss' dress caught fire and turned her into mockingjay"

Yes! Finally someone that agrees with me!"

I said this, too!

Jillian Kathryn wrote: "Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Larfmann wrote: "Because Katniss' dress caught fire and turned her into mockingjay"

I said this, too!"

Yes that, but also because Katniss started the rebellion and the fact that District 12 went up in flames during the bombing.

Kathryn Jillian wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Larfmann wrote: "Because Katniss' dress caught fire and turned her into mockingjay"

I said this, too!"

Y..."

Yes...we got that, too.

message 37: by Ala (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ala I think they said it in the book somewhere

message 38: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee there are always multiple means to stuff, some literal (her dress catching on fire) and some symbolic (the fire of rebellion catching)

Chelsea Denisse Kathryn wrote: "Little_miss_book_freak wrote: "Larfmann wrote: "Because Katniss' dress caught fire and turned her into mockingjay"

I said this, too!"

oh sorry i didnt see that comment, silly me :P

Shaelin B If you put the words 'the rebellion is' before the title it makes so much sense!

The rebellion is 'Catching Fire'.

Megan (I heart FINNICK) =] it is the title

message 42: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna She says it in the book is catching on fire. all it needed was a spark and her and peeta provided the spark that soon lit up the rebellion so everyone is catching the fire in this book

Caroline pope she also says "fire is catching " in the props they filmed,but wasnt that in book three?

Nya Tomlinson-Horan-Malik-Payne-Styles well there are many examples of the title in the book. the burning wire trap. snow's conversation with katniss before the victory tour. the rebellion spreading rapidly, like a wildfire. and cinna's trademark for katniss 'the girl on fire'

message 45: by Erick (new)

Erick What i Think the title Catching fire is when there is fire there is most likely be mayhem but in the story when Katniss has to talk to all the distract that made more rebel and more mayhem and the fire rise more and more and Katniss making it rise mad a fire explode that it went to a high level with more mayhem

message 46: by India (new) - added it

India Groundwater It is kind of a double meaning. Firstly, the districts were "Catching Fire" with rebellion, and secondly, Katniss was trying to catch the fire and put it out.

Jammiedodgerofdoom In the first book, President Snow calls up Seneca Crane. Snow says something along the lines of " We have the games because of hope. A little of hope is okay, a lot is effective. A spark is fine, as long as it is contained." Seneca's asks, "So?" Snow replies, "So, contain it." The second book is called 'Catching Fire' because the spark of hope Katniss has ignited is catching fire across the districts. I might not be entirely correct, since I am obviously not able to vulcan mind-meld with Suzanne Collins, but that's my guess.

message 48: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo I also think the ending of the book had to do something with it. President snow did burn her town to ashes. everything she new and love was burn.

Kenzi A spark of hope. Remember that line?

Kathryn Also her dress catches fire when she turns.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Catching Fire (other topics)