And Then There Were None And Then There Were None discussion

Interesting

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larap (new) - added it

Larap There is a reason that 'And Then There Were None' ranks among the best selling fiction books of all time: It's simply phenomenal. This book introduced me to the mystery novel and to Agatha Christie - and I've never looked back. It remains my all-time favorite!

Karl Glad you liked it. It's not my favourite Christie mystery, nor her best, but it's still a fine work.

Jeanine It's my all-time favorite too, even though someone already spoiled to me who the killer was before I read it! For me it's Agatha Christie best novel! :D

Lauren I LOVED IT! So much... best book ever.

Lisa Hackenberg I liked how after only a few short sentences you completely got each character. Almost immediately I was thinking about how the characters were interacting with each other trying to pick up on clues. And the tension that developed... :x almost said too much. I don't want to spoil it for others...

Dina It is so good. No matter how good you think you are you'll never figure it out. Best mystery book out there.

Erin (Paperback Stash) Agree with those here who says it's sensational. Clever, clever ending.

BubblesTheMonkey I just got the book for Christmas. I read it once before for school but I really want to read it again.

message 9: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ This has been so far the only book for me that I actually gasped at the twists as I read them. I have never gasped while reading a book before! She had such a clever way of creating suspense, tension, and surprise deaths while still maintaining a purpose for the killer's intentions.

Lilia Zuhara The most interesting book from Agatha Christie, without Marple or Poirot in it. Brilliant.

message 11: by Feliks (last edited Jan 18, 2013 08:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Feliks Spooky read, for sure. I had the paperback edition with the cover featuring a 'clump of seaweed' draped from the tree-branch or the doorway (a device which is featured prominently in the story, reminding a character of a guilty episode she wish she could forget). Particularly apt on the cover of this disturbing book.

UN Owen! Brrr

Wendy Best book ever!

message 13: by Sy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sy Hardwell Karl wrote: "Glad you liked it. It's not my favourite Christie mystery, nor her best, but it's still a fine work."

What Chrisite books would you put above it?

message 14: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl The Mysterious Affair At Styles. The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd. Murder In The Mews. There's a bunch of short stories as well. Look some of the collections up.

message 15: by Sy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sy Hardwell Karl wrote: "The Mysterious Affair At Styles. The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd. Murder In The Mews. There's a bunch of short stories as well. Look some of the collections up."

I read quite a few, was just curious as to which you'd place above ATTWN.

Only Five Little Pigs, Peril At End House & The ABC Murders has come close for me.

message 16: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl Cool, so you read the works I listed?

Three-Act Tragedy is another stellar whodunnit.

message 17: by Sy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sy Hardwell Karl wrote: "Cool, so you read the works I listed?

Three-Act Tragedy is another stellar whodunnit."

Ive read Styles & Ackroyd. The Ackroyd twist was spoilt for me before reading so it lessened the impact for me.

message 18: by Karl (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karl Hate that! Do you know Bruce Willis is actually a ghost in the 6th Sense? :-)

Jessica I first read this book when I was maybe 10 (about 20 yrs ago) and I still reread it every few years. Even in my teen years, when I was reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz, ATTWN was the only book that would spook me if I read it too late at night!

I've read several other Christie novels, mostly when I was younger. I actually don't care for Marple or Poirot (except for Murder on the Orient Express). I'm think going to reread some of her work since I've forgotten nearly all of it!

message 20: by Sy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sy Hardwell Karl wrote: "Hate that! Do you know Bruce Willis is actually a ghost in the 6th Sense? :-)"

Ive never watched sixth sense but know everything that happens in it haha.

Jessica wrote: "I first read this book when I was maybe 10 (about 20 yrs ago) and I still reread it every few years. Even in my teen years, when I was reading Stephen King and Dean Koontz, ATTWN was the only book ..."

Ive re-read ATTWN loads of time. The audiobook (read by Hugh Fraser!) is fantastic also. The only other non-poirot christie book ive read was "Why didnt they ask Evans". Wasnt really too impressed with it.

message 21: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ I loved this book. It was great and I am going to look either in the libraries or anywhere else for her other works (and maybe more than the ones that I listed "To-Read").

J. Dallas I had to read this book in school. That made me grind my teeth. As I read it I really began to like it. It became one of my favorite Christie books and it is the book that got me hooked on mysteries. I will be forever grateful to Ms Christie and this book. LOL I even thanked my teacher for making me read it.

message 23: by One (new) - rated it 5 stars

One Flew It's my favourite mystery book too. I've never been overly interested in the genre, apart from Doyle's Sherlock Holmes works. Will try some of the other Christie suggestions on this thread.

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Brilliant mystery - gives you all you need in short prose - loved it! Also liked The Tape Measure Murder: A Miss Marple Mystery but not a patch on this one

Laurie I just downloaded 25 of her books on my e-reader. They were on sale at Kobo books for $2.99. I was so excited but haven't started reading them yet because when I go to return books to the library, I can't seem to leave empty handed lol.

Julie It was incredible. You just couldn't guess who was the killer!
I loved how 10 people, completely different in characters are trapped in one place, and the tension starts building and people are dying...just wonderful.

message 27: by Cara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cara Ten people were kind of hard to keep track of at first, but as the book continued it got a lot easier.

Alsjem I really liked this too. Other Christie's I remember enjoying are Crooked Houseand Peril at End House

message 29: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ Cara wrote: "Ten people were kind of hard to keep track of at first, but as the book continued it got a lot easier."

Lol. Yeah when the characters were dying off there became less to people to keep track of. I think in the beginning I had a few characters confused with each other.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

And Then There Were None (other topics)
The Tape Measure Murder (other topics)
Crooked House (other topics)
Peril at End House (other topics)