Around the World (in 52 Books) discussion

Personal Lists > Louise's Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 56) (56 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Louise (last edited Dec 16, 2013 11:58AM) (new)

Louise | 123 comments I don't think I'll manage to read them all in one year, but I'm so enjoying making this list, and I'll give it a try :-)
Several of the non-English titles, I'll probably read in Danish, but if it's available I'll try to post the English title.
Books with stars I already own.

ANTARCTICA

Various Astounding Stories of Super-Science January 1930 Done! (The first story)

EUROPE

Albania
*Ismail Kadare Broken April Done!

Belgium
*Amélie Nothomb Fear and Trembling Done!

Bosnia-Herzegovina
*Aleksandar Hemon The Question of Bruno: Stories Done!

Channel Islands:
*Annie Barrows The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society Done!

Denmark
*Lene Kaaberbøl KADAVERDOKTOREN Done!

England
*Ken Follett Pillars of the Earth Done!

France
*Mathias Malzieu The Boy With the Cuckoo-Clock Heart Done!

Germany
*Günter Wallraff Aus der schönen neuen Welt. Expeditionen ins Landesinnere / Fra den fagre nye verdenDone

Greece
*Aristophanes Birds Done!

Hungary
*Antal Szerb Journey by Moonlight Done!

Iceland
*Sjón Splinten fra Argo Done!

Ireland
*Colm Tóibín Mothers and Sons Done!

Italy
*Italo Calvino De kosmikomiske historier / The Complete Cosmicomics Done!

The Netherlands
*Cees Nooteboom The Foxes Come at Night Done!

Norway
*Per Petterson Aske i munden, sand i skoen Done!

Portugal
Tales from the Lands of Nuts and Grapes - Spanish and Portuguese Folklore Done!

Russia
*Vladimir Sorokin Snestormen Done!

Scotland
*Christopher Brookmyre Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks Done!

Spain
*Antonio Muñoz Molina Winter in Lisbon Done!

Sweden
* Johan Theorin The Quarry Done!

Turkey
*Chris Bohjalian The Sandcastle Girls Done!

NORTH AMERICA

U.S.A.
*Michael Parker The Watery Part of the World Done!

Canada
*Charles de Lint The Dreaming Place Done!

Cuba
*Dan Simmons The Crook Factory Done!

CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA?

Argentina
*Jorge Luis Borges Seven Nights Done!

Brazil
*Jorge Amado Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon Done!

Chile
Joseph Conrad Gaspar Ruiz Done!

Colombia
*Evelio Rosero Good Offices Done!

Jamaica
*Patricia Duncker Hallucinating Foucault Done!

Mexico
*Octavio Paz The Labyrinth of Solitude / Ensomhedens Labyrint Done!

Peru
*Mario Vargas Llosa ""In Praise of the Stepmother: A Novel Done!

ASIA/ARABIA

China
* The Chinese Fairy Book Done!

Japan
*Haruki Murakami The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle Done!

Korea
Henry Lee Mitchell Pike Our Little Korean Cousin Done!

India
*Salman Rushdie The Enchantress of Florence Done!

Indonesia
Y.B. Mangunwijaya Durga/Umayi: A Novel done!

Israel
*Meir Shalev The Blue Mountain done!

Iran
*Azar Nafisi Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books done!

Nepal
*Samrat Upadhyay Royal Ghosts
Done!

Pakistan
*Shaila Abdullah Beyond the Cayenne Wall Collection of Short Stories Done!

Saudi Arabia
*Turki Al-Hamad Adama Done!

Syria
*Rafik Schami Damascus Nights Done!

AFRICA

Algeria
*Assia Djebar A Sister to Scheherazade Done!

Kenya
W. Somerset Maugham The Explorer Done!

Botswana
*Alexander McCall Smith Morality for Beautiful Girls Done!

South Africa
*Rayda Jacobs Postcards from South Africa Done!

Tanzania
*Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge Done!

Zimbabwe
NoViolet Bulawayo We Need New Names Done!

AUSTRALIA
* John Flanagan Halt's Peril Done!

New Zealand
Katherine Mansfield The Garden Party and Other Stories Done!

The South Pacific
* W. Somerset Maugham The Narrow Corner Done!

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2203 comments Mod
Half of the fun is making the list, huh? (and reading them.):-) There is no rule that you have to read them all in one year. Enjoy!

message 3: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 16, 2011 08:47AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1276 comments Hi Louise, welcome! I have spent most of my life in Sweden and consider myself more Swedish than anything else.... I guess. Can you read Swedish? Troll och Tott och deras vänner is really good. It is about life in Stockholm during the 1920s and up through the war. It is such a paerfect description of Stockholm and those times. It is a memoir and there are two airedale terriers. It takes place right near Norrmalmstorg and the Opera. Unfortunately it isn't translated. I am trying to find someone to share this wonderful reading experience. The titel sounds like it might be for kids - it isn't. There is history too.

Louise | 123 comments Thanks Judy :-)

Hi Chrissie, no I only read novels in Danish and English - and childrens books in French:-) Have you read the Johan Theorin books? I'm usually not into crime fiction, but his first two books were great.

Chrissie | 1276 comments Louise, no I am not acquainted with his books. I cannot say I read crime fition either.

Louise | 123 comments They are cool, trust me :-) The second one is one of the 2-3 best books I read last year.

Asma Fedosia (InTheNoh) | 356 comments Mod
Hello, Louise, Marvelous selections to read.

message 8: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 16, 2011 11:59PM) (new)

Chrissie | 1276 comments Louise wrote: "They are cool, trust me :-) The second one is one of the 2-3 best books I read last year."

That they take place on Öland is of course enticing. Is it important to rad them in order, or could I start with the second one, The Darkest Room?

ETA - I read the Kindle sample of the Darkest Room and I am tempted to add it to my list - simply because it pulls me home to Sweden. You recognize Swedish life in the few words of the sample. The glass verandas. People moving from Stockholm to country houses with plans of renovation. When the places Bromma and Jakobsberg are mentioned you quickly comprehend what these are for communities. There is nothing like reading a book set in a place which you know. So, can I read this book before the first in the series?

BTW I recommend Métaphysique des tubes over the Nothomb book you have listed. It is better. It is entitled "The Character of Rain", I think, in English. It is not difficult French. You know she jokes that she gives birth to a book every year.

Louise | 123 comments You don't have to read them in order, some characters appear in all the stories, but the main stories are not connected - except that they all take place in Öland :-)

I'll look for the Nothomb book, but I'm trying to find all 52 books between the piles and piles of unread books I have in my home library :-) I really enjoyed Tokyo Fiancée but wasnt' all that crazy about Sulphuric Acid.

Chrissie | 1276 comments I do understand your wish to read books you have available!

Good I will start with book 2. Thanks.

Mikki Hi Louise,

Glad to see yet another choice from Mario Vargas Llosa; I'm debating between two others of his novels.

Also, [Book: Mothers And Sons] looks really good but so does his book [Book: The Master], have you read it? If so, do you have a preference?

Louise | 123 comments I haven't read any of his books, but he was recommended in a book podcast so I picked up Mothers and Sons on Amazon :-)

Louise | 123 comments 14 to go...

Louise | 123 comments Done! But will probably make changes :-)

Anne (reachannereach) Louise wrote: "Done! But will probably make changes :-)"

Of course.

Sue Louise wrote: "They are cool, trust me :-) The second one is one of the 2-3 best books I read last year."

Hi Louise and Welcome. I just added this 2nd book. It looks like it's right up my alley. I have a huge TBR so i'm not sure when I'll get to it, but at least I won't forget about it.
Thanks.

Louise | 123 comments 2 books in the mail yesterday, I should have them all by feb. 1st :-)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 894 comments Mod
I added your selections to the master lists. Happy reading!

Louise | 123 comments Thanks :-)

Allison C. McCulloch (AllisonCMcCulloch) Fear and Trembling was great. I wrote a piece on the book vs. movie here: http://mubi.com/lists/book-vs-movie

I'll check out Hallucinating Foucault. Thanks.

Louise | 123 comments Got one more book in the mail today - almost have them all :-)

Louise | 123 comments Finished the first one :-)

Louise | 123 comments Hmmm Skyrim is bad for my reading pace...

Sue I'm reading a few that are several hundred pages each right now. I figure suddenly I'll be marking a few as read and then I'll feel accomplished. That's also why I added a few mysteries, etc from various countries to my list for breathers.

windy | 13 comments Nice selections! I don't want to mess up your list, but Mikael Niemi is actually a Swedish author, although he's from an area where a minority Finnish dialect is spoken (I guess the criteria for this challenge are flexible, just thought I'd point that out)

Louise | 123 comments I know :-) But his books take place around the Swedish/Finnish borders, aaand I really needed to find as many owned books as possible to put on the list ;-)

windy | 13 comments Got it ;) For anyone else who might be interested, Niemi's books would work as a choice for Sweden as well. Popular Music from Vittula is the only one translated to English so far, afaik.

Chel | 186 comments That's a good list!

Louise | 123 comments Thanks :-)

Louise | 123 comments Done with book number two! Bette pick up my pace... :-)

Louise | 123 comments I'm really enjoying Postcards from South Africa! :-)

Louise | 123 comments Just finished The Enchantress of Florence - I'm on a 4 star roll!!

Sue Louise wrote: "Just finished The Enchantress of Florence - I'm on a 4 star roll!!"

Nice to know you liked that. I have it to read though I'm not sure it will be for "52".

Louise | 123 comments Arrrr The Complete Cosmicomics is soooo looong and hard to get through! It has it's good parts, but I', taking forever finishing it!

Louise | 123 comments Yay I'm back on track! :-)

Louise | 123 comments Aaand 3 books behind. Must stop reading other stuff for a while. :-)

Louise | 123 comments Back on track again and making swift progress with my Wallraff book!

Barbarac (bcb72) | 191 comments I get sidetracked easily too with books that don't count towards this challenge. Glad you're back on track.

Louise | 123 comments Changed my choice for Turkey to "The Sandcastle Girls".

Louise | 123 comments Done with my goal for 2012!
I plan to finish reading the books on the list in 2013 :-)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay!

Louise | 123 comments Changed the book for Russia :-)

Louise | 123 comments I liked the book for Russia. I'll be reading more from Vladimir Sorokin

Louise | 123 comments I think I'll finish this challenge as planned this year :-)

Louise | 123 comments Four books to go!

Lilisa | 565 comments Louise wrote: "Four books to go!"

Louise - good going! how many have you read this year?

Louise | 123 comments I've read 18 this year :-)

Lilisa | 565 comments Louise wrote: "I've read 18 this year :-)"

Nice - any favorites?

message 49: by Louise (last edited Sep 06, 2013 03:35AM) (new)

Louise | 123 comments Seven Views Of Olduvai Gorge and The Crook Factory I think so far :-)

I also liked Ismail Kadare's Broken April, and have started reading his other books.

Louise | 123 comments 2 to go!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Aske i munden, sand i skoen (other topics)
Blodläge (other topics)
In Praise of the Stepmother (other topics)
Seven Nights (other topics)
Broken April (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vladimir Sorokin (other topics)