The Sword and Laser discussion

Calendar

Comments (showing 1-50 of 105) (105 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 741 comments Mod
Hey there book readers. I try my best to scour the Internets for updates on book releases to put in our calendar http://www.swordandlaser.com/calendar/

But if you know of a hot book coming out and you don't see it on there, post the date here in the thread or email us theswordandlaser@gmail.com

Thanks!

Now get back to reading or writing your NaNoWriMo

Ben | 116 comments The Walking Dead, Vol. 15: We Find Ourselves (trade paperback collecting issues #85-90) is coming out on December 20, according to Amazon.

message 3: by Andrew (last edited Nov 15, 2011 10:21PM) (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Tom have you considered having an actual calendar like a public Google one that people could then subscribe to? I guess the format on the webpage is easier to read off for the podcast, but it would be a pretty cool thing to offer. You might even be able to use an agenda view for podcast use making this the central location.

I will admit the US dates do hamper it a little for me, though more books do tend to have worldwide release dates these days which is nice.

Edit: btw we really need to get you a Wallabies beanie so you can update that profile pic of yours. Damn worldcup champions..*grumble* :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1821 comments Tom, another useful resource might be the SFF Audio @NewAudiobookIn account. Of course it is only audio, but since there is sometimes a lag in when books are released on that format, it might be very useful info!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1821 comments Blackstone Audio is putting out Canticle of Leibowitz on December 1!!!

message 6: by Margaret (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:28AM) (new)

Margaret (megallina) | 23 comments Here's some books I'm really interested in. I know a lot of these have a far out release date, but you have far out release dates on http://www.swordandlaser.com/calendar/ so I figured that I'd just give them all right now!

I realize that a lof of these might not be ideal for the Sword and Laser crowd (although they're all fantasy/sci fi), but just check them out and see if you're interested!

January 3: Cinder by Melissa Meyer, Lunar Chronicles #1
"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."

January 3: Charmfall by Chloe Neill, Dark Elite #3
This one is silly, but fun, and reminds me of Buffy in the best kind of way. Plus it's set in Chicago, which I always prefer over New York or California. This is the last book in the series. This book is YA.
"High school can be a battlefield, but for Lily Parker, surviving at St. Sophia’s School for Girls is a matter of life and death...
Protecting Chicago from the dark side can be an exhausting job, especially when you’re a junior. So when the girls of St. Sophia’s start gearing up for Sneak, their fall formal, Lily decides to join in on some good, old-fashioned party prep—even if it means not giving demons, vampires and the twisted magic users known as Reapers her undivided attention.
But when a Reaper infiltrates the school, Lily doesn’t forget what she’s sworn to protect. She reaches deep into herself to draw out her magic—and finds that it’s gone. And it turns out she’s not alone. A magical blackout has slammed through paranormal Chicago, and no one knows what—or who—caused it. But Lily knows getting back her magic is worth the risk of going behind enemy lines…"

February 21: A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison, The Hollows #10
Kim Harrison is one of the authors who basically invented urban fantasy as a sub-genre. Her stories are set in Cincinnati, which I also love. One thing that I really like about these is that there's a lot of fun and new ideas about what it means to be a supernatural creature. There's a lot of repetition of ideas in books like this, so I love it when there's new ones. As a warning, like most urban fantasy, these books have a lot of sex in them.)
"Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the FIB, former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth — a would-be creator is determined to make his (or her) own demons. But it can’t be done without Rachel’s blood.
As a bounty hunter, Rachel has battled vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more. But humanity itself might be her toughest challenge."

February 28: Nice Girls Don't Bite Their Neighbors by Molly Harper, Jane Jameson #4
I picked up the first book in this series because Veronica said she was reading it this summer. It was light and fun and fabulous (and totally, totally girly). I actually loved Molly Harper so much that I have since picked up all the other books she's written. Basically, I'm a total Molly Harper fangirl. I would definitely categorize these novels more under the romance part of paranormal romance, however. But, since I find just straight up romances super boring, I also love that there's always a mystery element with an unsolved supernatural crime going on.
"Just as Jane Jameson’s unlife seems to be stabilizing, fate sinks its fangs firmly into her butt. Despite her near-phobia of all things marital, her no-frills nighttime nuptials to her sexy boyfriend Gabriel are coming along smoothly. But the road to wedded bliss gets bumpy when a teenage acquaintance is fatally wounded in front of Jane’s shop and she turns him to save his life. The Council pronounces Jane responsible for the newborn vamp until he can control his thirst.
Jane’s kitchen at River Oaks barely holds enough Faux Type O to satiate the cute teen’s appetite and maintain Gabriel’s jealous streak at a slow simmer. As if keeping her hyperactive childe from sucking the blood out of the entire neighborhood isn’t enough to deal with, the persnickety ghost of Jane’s newly deceased Grandma Ruthie has declared a war on the fanged residents of River Oaks. Suddenly, choosing monogrammed cocktail napkins and a cake that she can’t eat seems downright relaxing in comparison.
Tensions inside the house are growing…and outside, a sinister force is aiming a stake straight for the center of Gabriel’s heart. Most brides just have to worry about choosing the right dress, but Jane fears that at this rate, she’ll never make it down the aisle for the wedding all nice girls dream of..."

March 1: Timeless by Gail Carriger, Parasol Protectorate #5
Gail Carriger came up a few times before on the podcast. She writes steampunky romance set in an alternate Victorian England, with a really interesting main character. Alexia Tarabotti is "soulless". Unlike the vampires and werewolves in London society, which have too much soul, Alexia (hereditarily) has none. This gives her a different perspective on life than everyone else, and also the ability to nullify any supernatural powers that she encounters.
"Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle.
Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?"

March 13: Another Jekyll, Another Hyde by Daniel and Dina Nayeri, Another #3
The "Another" series by Daniel and Dina Nayeri is legitimately some of the scarest books I have ever read. They are YA novels that re-tell horror stories in a modern day boarding school. The first one, Another Faust, was so scary, and the second, Another Pan, was less so, but still wonderful. They just write with this wonderful atmospheric prose, that's still very simple and straightforward. This book is YA.
"An elusive stalker is targeting Marlowe kids - and something unearthly has gotten into its wealthiest student - as the Another series builds up to a fiendish finale.
When his billionaire father marries French governess Nicola Vileroy, high society is all abuzz - but Thomas, the most popular student at Marlowe, is just plain high. Ever since his girlfriend Belle dumped him, he's been spending less time with old friends and more time getting wasted at clubs. But after someone slips him a designer drug one night - and his stepmother seems to know way too much about his private life - things really start to get scary. As Thomas's blackouts give way to a sinister voice inside his head, and as news of a vicious hate crime has students on edge, Thomas comes to the sickening realization that Madame Vileroy has involved him in a horrifying supernatural plan. How can he muster the strength and will to stop it? The pulse-quickening climax revisits Jekyll and Hyde as a current-day cautionary tale laced with a heady dose of paranormal intrigue."

May 1: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris, Sookie Stackhouse #12

May 8: A Hero For WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi, WondLa #2
Tony DiTerlizzi was the illustrator for the Spiderwick Chronicles. His WondLa books are like novel picture books. They have a ton of beautiful art in them. They are set in a future dystopian version of Oz. Honestly, I didn't love the story in the first book that much, but the artwork was so beautiful that I want to get the second one just to see more of it. This book is YA.
"Finally, Eva Nine has gotten what she has always wanted: other humans. When she and her friends are rescued by Hailey, another human, Eva couldn't be happier. Now she has everything she has ever dreamed of. Hailey brings Eva and her friends to the human colony New Attica, where humans of all shapes and sizes live in apparent peace and harmony.
But all is not idyllic in New Attica, and soon Eva Nine and her friends realize that something very bad is going on--and if they don't stop it, it could mean the end of everything and everyone on Orbona."

May 28: Insurgent by Veronica Roth, Divergent #2
Full disclosure, Veronica is a friend of mine from college. However, her books are great. She was inspired to write a dystopian YA novel by Suzanne Collins and the Hunger Games books. She's a NYT bestselling author, and her book series has been optioned for a movie.
Justification that this isn't just personal aside, her books are set in a dystopian Chicago. She really likes the idea of being assigned to a group, a la Hogwarts houses, so at the age of majority, all her characters have to choose a "faction" to belong to for the rest of their life. Each faction is based on a specific personality trait, like daring, service, communication, etc. This book is YA.

"One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature."

Margaret (megallina) | 23 comments (And here's the last one that didn't fit in my massive comment)

June 5: Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi
"Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory. Life couldn’t be better...until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed. Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy belowdecks is expended on avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is...and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives."

I've found that I'm not really interested in a lot of the books mentioned in the calendar, although I do like the books we read in the group. So if none of these get added to the calendar, I won't be upset at all. I just thought I'd chime in with stuff I like, in case someone else is interested as well!

message 8: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Meggie, You rock!! Thanks for these. Sorry I took 11 days to actually gte to them but I'm adding them in this evening!

Will (willbost) | 47 comments A Rising Thunder (Honor Harrington) by David Weber | Publication Date: March 6, 2012
Peril and strife strike on a double front for Honor Harrington and company. After a brutal attack on the Manticoran home system, Honor Harrington and the Star Kingdom she serves battle back against a new, technologically powerful, and utterly nefarious enemy. And as if that weren’t task enough, Honor must also face down a centuries-old nemesis in the crumbling, but still mighty, Solarian League.
The war between the People’s Republic of Haven and the Star Kingdom is finally won and peace established, but grave danger looms–for there is a plan well on its way to completion designed to enslave the entire human species. Behind that plan lies the shadowy organization known as the Mesan Alignment.

Task number one for Honor is to defend against another devastating Mesan strike–a strike that may well spell the doom of the Star Kingdom in one fell blow. It is time to shut down and secure the wormhole network that is the source of the Star Kingdom’s wealth and power–but also its greatest vulnerability. Yet this is an act that the Earth-based Solarian League inevitably will take as a declaration of war.

The thunder of battle rolls as the Solarian League directs its massive power against the Star Kingdom. And once again, Honor Harrington is thrust into a desperate battle that she must win if she is to survive to take the fight to the real enemy of galactic freedom–the insidious puppetmasters of war who lurk behind the Mesan Alignment!

Singularity Star Carrier: Book Three by Ian Douglas | Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Humankind’s vast intergalactic power struggle and future war to bring down an insidious evil alien empire reaches an explosive, page-turning climax in Ian Douglas’s Singularity, the third book in his New York Times bestselling Star Carrier series. Blisteringly exciting military science fiction in the vein of the hit TV series “Battlestar Galactica,” Singularity pits determined space soldiers against a powerful race of creatures bent upon the total annihilation of a human race on the brink of technological transcendence. A notable descendant of such classic military sf novels as Joe Haldeman’s The Forever War and Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, Singularity will not disappoint author Douglas’s every-growing legion of fans as it conquers Jack Campbell, Rick Shelley, John Ringo, David Sherman and Dan Cragg loyalists as well.

Will (willbost) | 47 comments Shadows in Flight by Orson Scott Card | Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Ender’s Shadow explores the stars in this all-new novel...

At the end of Shadow of the Giant, Bean flees to the stars with three of his children--the three who share the engineered genes that gave him both hyper-intelligence and a short, cruel physical life. The time dilation granted by the speed of their travel gives Earth’s scientists generations to seek a cure, to no avail. In time, they are forgotten--a fading ansible signal speaking of events lost to Earth’s history. But the Delphikis are about to make a discovery that will let them save themselves, and perhaps all of humanity in days to come.

For there in space before them lies a derelict Formic colony ship. Aboard it, they will find both death and wonders--the life support that is failing on their own ship, room to grow, and labs in which to explore their own genetic anomaly and the mysterious disease that killed the ship’s colony.

Will (willbost) | 47 comments Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno. | January 10, 2012
“Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying.”
—Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Darth Plagueis: one of the most brilliant Sith Lords who ever lived. Possessing power is all he desires. Losing it is the only thing he fears. As an apprentice, he embraces the ruthless ways of the Sith. And when the time is right, he destroys his Master—but vows never to suffer the same fate. For like no other disciple of the dark side, Darth Plagueis learns to command the ultimate power . . . over life and death.

Darth Sidious: Plagueis’s chosen apprentice. Under the guidance of his Master, he secretly studies the ways of the Sith, while publicly rising to power in the galactic government, first as Senator, then as Chancellor, and eventually as Emperor.

Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious, Master and acolyte, target the galaxy for domination—and the Jedi Order for annihilation. But can they defy the merciless Sith tradition? Or will the desire of one to rule supreme, and the dream of the other to live forever, sow the seeds of their destruction?

Eric Griffith (egriffith) Not sure if it qualifies as "hot" but my new novel, BETA TEST, is out this week from Hadley Rille Books. Publishers Weekly called it "an unusually lighthearted apocalyptic tale" and John Scalzi (author of OLD MAN'S WAR and the upcoming REDSHIRTS) let me guest post about it today on his uber-popular blog today (at http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/12/16...).

Here's the official blurb:

Sam Terra is having a bad week. He lost Molly, the woman he secretly loves, when she vanished before his eyes at the exact same time that ten percent of the inhabitants of Earth disappeared. Naturally upset, Sam follows clues about the global vanishing with questionable help from his friends including a misanthropic co-worker and a childhood pal. When Molly reappears in the body of a man during a night of monster-laden devastation, Sam finally learns the truth. Not just about her, but about the planet Earth and the entire cosmos surrounding it. What we consider mundane reality, others consider a game...and not a very good one. The whole thing is about to be shut down.

Icelord | 35 comments Jenny wrote: "Blackstone Audio is putting out Canticle of Leibowitz on December 1!!!"

Jenny I recall many years ago there was a radio play of that that was on NPR over a series of weeks. It was probably fall '86 when I first heard that. I remember that being very good and really liking the story, but I've never got around to actually reading the book.

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Eric wrote: "Not sure if it qualifies as "hot" but my new novel, BETA TEST, is out this week from Hadley Rille Books. Publishers Weekly called it "an unusually lighthearted apocalyptic tale" and John Scalzi (au..."

I think that's very hot. Can we expect a Kindle release?

message 15: by aldenoneil (last edited Dec 16, 2011 03:01PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Jenny wrote: "Blackstone Audio is putting out Canticle of Leibowitz on December 1!!!"

Blackstone's just that one guy, yeah? I listened to Atlas Shrugged (64 hours!) by Blackstone and enjoyed his read - a little Orson Wellesian, which felt very appropriate. I may pick this one up because I've wanted to read Canticle (probably based on your suggestion from a previous thread) and to hear how the reader treats different material.

Elizabeth (elzabthr) | 2 comments Tom wrote: "Hey there book readers. I try my best to scour the Internets for updates

Tom, my favorite way to find new books is Locus Forthcoming Books feature. They have a digital edition in three flavors pdf mobi and epub.

http://locusmag.com/magazine/digital....

The current issue December 2011 has an interesting interview of Charles Stross

Eric Griffith (egriffith) can we expect kindle release
for BETA TEST? Yes, you can. It's live on Amazon.com now. There's also version of the book for Nook at Barnes and Noble. Cost? $2.99!

Patrick | 93 comments I've been looking forward to this one: Ashes of Candesce by Karl Schroeder out Feb 14, 2012

From www.kschroeder.com

"Nearly five years have passed since the mysterious force known only as Artificial Nature first tried to breach the walls of Virga. Its incursion has set off wars, revolution, and brought together an unlikely group of men and women united only in their opposition to it. They are the famous sun lighter, Hayden Griffin; mad, irrepressible princess Venera Fanning and her husband, Admiral Chaison Fanning; winter wraith and former Home Guard soldier Antaea Argyre; and, most unlikely of all, former history tutor and now spokeswoman for an alien civilization, Leal Hieronyma Maspeth.

Their courage has kept Virga secure--until now. Because Artificial Nature has decided upon a new strategy. If it can't force its way into Virga, it will cultivate new allies within the vast bubble-world.

If it can't batter the gates down, it will talk them open. And with Leal and Hayden missing, Antaea cast out of the Guard and shunned by all, and the Fannings preoccupied by the collapse of Slipstream's brief empire, no one is there to stop it. Unless rogue and former despot Jacoby Sarto can exploit the situation and save Virga. . . and perhaps, seize it himself."

zephyrkey | 21 comments @Tom @Andrew

I got bored in class the other day and threw together a calendar of all the upcoming releases for my own reference. Its Windows Live (I know, but I have a Windows Phone) but you should be able to subscribe to it in GCal if that's your poison.

Linky: Sword and Laser Upcoming Releases

Just thought I'd share! XD

message 20: by Mike (last edited Jan 13, 2012 08:18PM) (new)

Mike | 3 comments Let's see...The second book of the Pathfinder series,Ruins, comes out March 6. The sequel to Justin Cronin's the Passage, The Twelve, comes out on August 28.

message 21: by Kate (last edited Feb 15, 2012 11:42AM) (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 769 comments I've noticed that Elizabeth Bear's new book, Range of Ghosts is not on the calendar. She is amazing and this should be rectified. It's out March 27th .

Here's the blurb
Temur, grandson of the Great Khan, is walking away from a battlefield where he was left for dead. All around lie the fallen armies of his cousin and his brother, who made war to rule the Khaganate. Temur is now the legitimate heir by blood to his grandfather’s throne, but he is not the strongest. Going into exile is the only way to survive his ruthless cousin.

Once-Princess Samarkar is climbing the thousand steps of the Citadel of the Wizards of Tsarepheth. She was heir to the Rasan Empire until her father got a son on a new wife. Then she was sent to be the wife of a Prince in Song, but that marriage ended in battle and blood. Now she has renounced her worldly power to seek the magical power of the wizards. These two will come together to stand against the hidden cult that has so carefully brought all the empires of the Celadon Highway to strife and civil war through guile and deceit and sorcerous power.

And you can read the first chapter at
http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/02/ra...

Stephen Holmes | 20 comments Just wanted to let everyone know that Triggers is coming out on April 3.

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 112 comments I09 Calendar, covers TV, Movies, and Books.

http://io9.com/5898396/the-io9-guide-...

New Dark Tower Book is in there, Wind Through the Keyhole on the 3-Apr.

kvon | 539 comments Get ready for the next Pratchett bestseller in June 2012--the long awaited World of Poo! I only wish I could have posted this one on April 1st.
The World of Poo by Terry Pratchett

Martin (Martinc36au) | 68 comments Amazon.com dates...

24 April 2012 - Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, Book Four) by Kevin Hearne
1 May 2012 - The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible by Jack Campbell
19 June 2012 - Existence by David Brin

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 639 comments Casket of Souls is Lynn Flewelling's most recent installment in her wonderful Nightrunner series. It comes out on May 29, 2012

http://www.amazon.ca/Casket-Souls-Lyn...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Whispers Under Ground, book 3 in the Peter Grant UF series comes out on the 29th of May.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments 26 June - Edge by Koji Suzuki (author of The Ring and Dark Water):

Edge begins with a massive and catastrophic shifting of the San Andreas fault. The fears of California someday tumbling into the sea--that have become the stuff of parody--become real. But even the terror resulting from this catastrophe pales in comparison to the understanding behind its happening, a cataclysm extending beyond mankind's understanding of horror as it had previously been known. The world is falling apart because things are out of joint at the quantum level, about which of course there's never been any guarantee that everything has to remain stable.

So I guess that'll be the end of Sword and Laser.

Matthew Le Sacksee (CamperSacks) | 58 comments Bad news for some of you, guys. I checked the Calendar and when I saw Darksiders in May, I thought "Cool, I should go pre-order it right now". Unfortunately, Amazon says that Darksiders: The Abomination Vault will only be published by July 24th.

http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/news...

Here's the link to a post on Ari Marmell's blog with an apology for how things panned out.

Just doing my job enlightening the unaware. Now you guys can revise the Calendar in peace.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 639 comments The Devil Delivered and Other Tales is a short story collection by Steven Erikson due out on June 19.

Nick (Whyzen) | 1260 comments The Long Earth has an announced UK release date of June 21, 2012.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long...

Hopefully it will be in the states shortly there after.

Aeryn98 | 147 comments I haven't see this listed:

For Steven Erikson's Malazan empire fans,
Orb Sceptre Throne another entry by Ian C. Esslemont into the Malazan universe is coming out on May 22nd.

message 33: by David Sven (last edited May 06, 2012 07:40PM) (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments Hmmm, I already have Orb Sceptre Throne on my kindle. Perhaps it was in one of the Hyperion Time Tombs and has moved backwards through time. Maybe its not really on my "to read" list but I have already read it in the future.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 639 comments Orb Sceptre Throne came out a while ago. That might be the MMPB version, Aeryn.

Aeryn98 | 147 comments Oh. Really?!! I automatically pre-ordered the kindle version and didn't see the hardcover version.
Oops! my bad ......Nevermind.

Warren | 1275 comments I noticed that Tom was reading:Year Zero: A novel by Rob Reid.
The rest of us will have to wait for its official release on 10 July.
It looks like a fun read. I believe he mentioned it on a earlier podcast.
On the plus side: The audio version will be read by John Hodgman.
So that version might be worth waiting for.
I did google the author and came up with:
"Remarks on the trial of Robert Reid, for the murder of his wife, before the High Court of Justiciary, at Edinburgh, on the 29th of June 1835"
Oh,
Hopefully that's a different Robert Reid.

Warren | 1275 comments Red Shirts by John Scalzi is due out June 5.
Our library has already started a waiting list.
So if you plan to show up on the 5th and check it out you may be in for a disappoint. If you plan to read the ebook version on your new white iphone no problem.

message 38: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Warren wrote: "I noticed that Tom was reading:Year Zero: A novel by Rob Reid.
It looks like a fun read. I believe he mentioned it on a earlier..."

Yes I used my obnoxious sword and laser powers combined with my "power of friendship with his wife" to easel an advanced copy of Year Zero. But I have to say as much as I enjoyed it, I'm desperately looking forward to hearing Hodgman's narration.

If ou search Rob Reid TED you may find the non-murdering author your looking for.

Warren | 1275 comments Tom wrote: "Warren wrote: "I noticed that Tom was reading:Year Zero: A novel by Rob Reid.
It looks like a fun read. I believe he mentioned ..."

Thanks for that redirect. His TED talk was enjoyable.
I guess you couldn't get John Hodgeman to come over
and personally read the book to you.Oh well we all have out limits.
I many even stick a fork in my wallet and buy this one.

message 40: by Dustin (last edited May 12, 2012 05:04PM) (new)

Dustin (Tillos) | 324 comments The Spirit War (Book 4 of 5 in The Legend of Eli Monpress series ) comes out on June 5th.

It's a light fantasy with Demonseeds, Awakened Swords, a Dead Mountain, an Immortal Empress, a Lord of Storms. You know stuff like that.

The deed is done.

message 41: by Tamahome (last edited May 12, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4501 comments China Mieville's Railsea comes out May 15th, this Tuesday. It's YA so maybe it's easier to take if you don't like his adult books.

Same deal with Paolo Bacigalupi's The Drowned Cities. It's out now.

Did you know you could just write book:booktitle in brackets and goodreads will try to find and link it?

Oh, Railsea is on the calendar and The Drowned Cities probably was. Nevermind. :)

message 42: by Cattfish (last edited May 16, 2012 12:28AM) (new)

Cattfish | 367 comments Fate of Worlds: Return from the Ringworld comes out on August 21. A sequel to the famous series.

Captain Vorpatril's Alliance on November 6. Miles Vorkosigan novel.

Also a new Ben Bova book in the Grand Tour Series, New Earth, just announced, so that probably means around an Aug 2013 release; watch this space...

Cattfish | 367 comments Also for you Sword fans the new Darkover novel Children of Kings should be getting a March 2013 release.

message 44: by kvon (last edited May 23, 2012 07:33PM) (new)

kvon | 539 comments Pratchett's Dodger is slated to come out 9/23/12.

The Fractal Prince, the sequel to The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi, is due 9/4/12.

message 45: by Tamahome (last edited May 25, 2012 08:21AM) (new)

Tamahome | 4501 comments Dr Who: The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter (!) comes out August 12th in US/UK.

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012...

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1724 comments A few additions:

19 June

The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nogaru Tanigawa

Kyon is ready to start a new year with a blank slate--no time travel, no apocalyptic worries, and maybe some actual peace and quiet with the SOS Brigade, a club comprised of his high school's most extraordinary students. Their leader is Haruhi, a bold, brash girl who doesn't realize that she's actually a powerful goddess whose moods can easily change the balance of the universe.

Just as Kyon starts to get comfortable, he gets a visit from his friend Mikuru. Except this isn't his Mikuru; it's a Mikuru from eight days in the future! Time traveling shenanigans start all over again as Kyon, guided by the future Mikuru, attempts to stop a terrible future from becoming a reality.

26 June

Raise the Dawn: Star Trek: The Typhon Pact by David R. George III

In the wake of the final Borg invasion, which destroyed entire worlds, cost the lives of sixty-three billion people, and struck a crippling blow to Starfleet, six nations adversarial to the United Federation of Planets joined ranks to form the Typhon Pact. For almost three years, the Federation and the Klingon Empire have contended with the nascent coalition on a predominantly cold-war footing. But as Starfleet rebuilds itself, factions within the Typhon Pact grow restive, concerned about their own inability to develop a quantum slipstream drive to match that of the Federation. Will leaders such as UFP President Bacco and Romulan Praetor Kamemor bring about a lasting peace across the Alpha and Beta Quadrants, or will the cold war between the two alliances deepen, and perhaps even lead to an all-out shooting war?

21 August

Genocidal Organ by "Project" Itoh

The war on terror exploded, literally, the day Sarajevo was destroyed by a homemade nuclear device. The leading democracies transformed into total surveillance states, and the developing world has drowned under a wave of genocides. The mysterious American John Paul seems to be behind the collapse of the world system, and it’s up to intelligence agent Clavis Shepherd to track John Paul across the wreckage of civilizations, and to find the true heart of darkness—a genocidal organ.

Warren | 1275 comments Doh! I forgot to post this yesterday.
Today (Friday 1 June) is "time to make the donuts" Day

Derek (Ridgehiker) | 6 comments Some books I've been looking forward to:

3 July

The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

This is the latest book is Mr. Stross's excellent (in my opinion) Laundry series.

24 August

The Dusk Watchman by Tom Lloyd

This is the final book in Tom Lloyd's Twilight Reign series. There is some ambiguity as to the exact release date as Amazon has it listed as August 24, 2012 while the publisher Pyr has it listed as simply August 2012.

Frederick (xthawx) | 52 comments Derek wrote: "Some books I've been looking forward to:

3 July

The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross

This is the latest book is Mr. Stross's excellent (in my opinion) Laundry series.

24 August

The Dusk Watc..."

I'm definitely looking forward to The Dusk Watchman as well. Roll on August...

sara frances (sara_frances) | 4 comments On August 28th the newest WoW novel by Christine Golden will be out! World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War

sooo excited! I generally enjoy Golden's books more than most of the other authors who write Warcraft novels. and Jaina is a MFBA.

« previous 1 3