Goodreads Author Feedback Group discussion

Writer's Circle > New Member

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy: PROUD DIRECTIONER (last edited Nov 15, 2011 12:22PM) (new)

Amy: PROUD DIRECTIONER (Ravinxx) | 13 comments Nice to meet you, Sharon. I look forward to talking with you. Goodreads is really a great website, and once you get the hang of it, it'll become easier to navigate. :)

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Jecks (MichaelJecks) | 16 comments Hi - I'm Michael Jecks (Mike in real life) - author of 32 books in my Templar series, but also a modern thriller writer now. Assuming this is the right place to drop in and introduce myself? Trying to work out whether I should be here, in Facebook, twitter, googleplus or God knows where else!

And I should be writing ... Does anyone else get the guilt when they aren't putting words into a book?

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Jecks (MichaelJecks) | 16 comments Good luck with them. Always find shorts take as long as a novella to write - you have to be so precise.

message 4: by Hendrik (new)

Hendrik Witmans (sfwriter) | 3 comments Hello everyone,
I'm new to GR, joined last week. My name is Hendrik Witmans. I haven't been a very prolific writer up till now, but I hope to change that soon. I write what I call social sci-fi, that is how futuristic technology will affects people. Have one book of short stories out: Problems with Portals, about teleportation and its woes. I'm working on three new novels, hopefully one of them will be ready next year.
I'm not on Facebook o Twitter yet. Trying things out one at a time. Great to see so many writers out there!

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 9 comments Michael wrote: "Hi - I'm Michael Jecks (Mike in real life) - author of 32 books in my Templar series, but also a modern thriller writer now. Assuming this is the right place to drop in and introduce myself? Trying..."

I totally feel guilty that I find myself having such a good time reading threads and responding. I look up at the clock and realize hours have gone by and my book didn't advance at all.

A big hello to everyone here! I'm pretty new to Goodreads as well, and I've found so much great information already. I'm looking forward to learning even more.

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McBride | 10 comments Hi, everyone,
I'm new also and trying to figure all of this out. I joined Goodreads a few months ago but haven't taken the time to explore it until recently. I'm still looking for a group interested in my area, history and travel in 1930s Europe, or any group that likes to read nonfiction and has lively discussions.

Amy: PROUD DIRECTIONER (Ravinxx) | 13 comments Welcome to Goodreads, everyone! To Hendrik, Bridget, and Rebecca: I really hope you guys like Goodreads. It's a great place to start (or continue) discussing and promoting books. As I said to Sharon in my last post, I think Goodreads because easier to navigate and figure out once you get the hang of it. I am still figuring out how to work things and occasionally discovering features I never knew about before. It's definitely a place of opportunity!

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 1 comments Hi everyone,
I'm Pamela and I write cozy mysteries. I also love to read mysteries of almost any subgenre.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McBride | 10 comments Thank you for the welcome. Do you recommend trying to find friends on Goodreads from your Facebook friends? I'm reluctant because I don't want to bother them. What do you think?

message 10: by Rodney (new)

Rodney Earle (RodneyVEarle) | 3 comments Greetings!

Pretty new to Goodreads, and I hope to spread the word and network with writers, readers, and anyone with an interest in reading. My first novel, "Remembering August" was published on 08/23, and is the first in a series of 3 (or maybe 4). LOVE this site! This one really stands out amongst all of the others. =)

Cheers!

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Smith (carol_marlene) | 10 comments I've been on Goodreads for awhile now but not too busy on group sites. I've been spending a lot of time writing. I write romance and mystery/suspense, also short stories. I've with you Rebecca, don't want to bother Facebook friends. I just feel they might think I am only wanting to promote all the time. Happy Writing!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 28, 2011 02:59AM) (new)

Michael wrote: "Hi - I'm Michael Jecks (Mike in real life) - author of 32 books in my Templar series, but also a modern thriller writer now. Assuming this is the right place to drop in and introduce myself? Trying..."
Hi Michael, Oh yes! I've been writing non-stop for four years and only began this blog and social-media stuff with encouragement from my editor. I've not put a word in my latest novel for a month and feel really guilty about it. But I did need a rest so this is not so bad. I'm meeting others with the same issues. The writing life can be very isolating so it's good to see one is not alone. Welcome all new here. davidrory.

message 13: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 9 comments Silver Wolf wrote: "Welcome to Goodreads, everyone! To Hendrik, Bridget, and Rebecca: I really hope you guys like Goodreads. It's a great place to start (or continue) discussing and promoting books. As I said to Sharo..."

I'm loving Goodreads and yes, it is wonderful to discover new things each day. I love reading topics from other readers that discuss what they like and what they hate in specific genres. As a writer of fantasy to start, hearing what readers are finding dull or overdone is a big help.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McBride | 10 comments Thanks, Carol. That's just what I am worried about -- seeming to be promoting my book all the time. Thanks for the feedback on Facebook.

message 15: by محمد (new)

محمد صادق (mohamed_sadek) | 2 comments hey everybody ..
i want to ask about how can i add my own book to my profile?
can anybody help me?

message 16: by Paula (last edited Dec 04, 2011 07:04AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 219 comments If it has an ISBN and on amazon then do a search by ISBN and it will auto import - otherwise use this link to add one manually

http://www.goodreads.com/book/new?boo...

You will need to post in the GR Librarians group to have it combined if there are multiple editions i.e. ebook, paperback

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/220

if this is you you can claim your author profile here (books are not added to user profiles)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/confi...

message 17: by محمد (new)

محمد صادق (mohamed_sadek) | 2 comments thank you so much :)

message 18: by Larry (new)

Larry (lite312000) | 6 comments Help Needed.
How does one go about changing the price on their ebook on Goodreads?

message 19: by lizzie (new)

lizzie Lane | 17 comments Hi Larry. Welcome aboard. At least you've enrolled a book on Goodreads. Perhaps you could tell me how I do that. Addled with senior moments!

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments Larry, I just changed my book prices but had a tough time finding out how to do it. I was told to go to settings but found no tab for settings. Finally I called up each book, clicked the edit button and once all the info was up, I could edit the price. Hope this helps.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 219 comments Best thing to do is search by ISBN or ASIN - if the books are on amazon they will then auto import and auto combine

If they are not then they need to be added manually - you can use this link or ask in the Librarians group and some one will add they will then need to be combined with any other editions.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/new?boo...

message 22: by Danny (new)

Danny Fahey (dannybfahey) | 8 comments Hi all, new to all of this but slowly coming to grips with it all. I'm an author and poet and also teach Drama.

message 23: by Danny (last edited Dec 14, 2011 05:55PM) (new)

Danny Fahey (dannybfahey) | 8 comments Paula wrote: "Best thing to do is search by ISBN or ASIN - if the books are on amazon they will then auto import and auto combine

If they are not then they need to be added manually - you can use this link or a..."

Just on the ISBN - when I try to set up a giveaway goodreads keeps telling me it does not recognize the ISBN number?

message 24: by rivka (new)

rivka | 459 comments Danny, what's the ISBN? You have to search & import (or add manually) before creating the giveaway.

message 25: by Danny (new)

Danny Fahey (dannybfahey) | 8 comments its the International Standard Book Number - I try adding it manually but the goodreads tells me that book doesn't exist even though they have it in their data base....

message 26: by rivka (new)

rivka | 459 comments I meant, what is the specific ISBN you are trying to set up?

message 27: by Danny (new)

Danny Fahey (dannybfahey) | 8 comments oh, oops....

Its for the Tree Singer - ISBN 978-0-9806341-5-0

message 28: by rivka (new)

rivka | 459 comments The only edition of Tree Singer that was listed on GR is the Kindle edition. I manually added the paperback that corresponds to 9780980634150, which was not already in the GR database.

You should now be able to use it for a giveaway. Please note that we don't use the dashes, just the bare number.

message 29: by Danny (new)

Danny Fahey (dannybfahey) | 8 comments thank you rivka

message 30: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellarosewood) | 2 comments Hello, I'm Swimmergirl, and I have self-published A Little Book of Poems.

message 31: by Jock (new)

Jock Brocas | 4 comments Hi Guys, I have been a member as a reader since 2009 but never took much notice of goodreads until i had a message asking if i was the author of certain books. I guess i am just saying hi and hoping i can add something to the community.

message 32: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I've been a member since 2008. I just recently finished my urban fantasy novel Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright

message 33: by Christopher (new)

Christopher T. | 3 comments Hi my name is Christopher Westmoreland and I'm the author of Fiction mainly Urban Fantasy and a little horror thrown in. My first published book is Risen :The 'Greg the Zombie' Journals. I had a fantastic time writing it, and I'm surprised that I haven't joined Goodreads before now. It's a pleasure to 'meet' all of you.

message 34: by Christopher (new)

Christopher T. | 3 comments Sharon wrote: "Hi Christopher. Welcome. Best of luck with your book."

Thanks Sharon :)

message 35: by Kristine (last edited Jan 08, 2012 01:19AM) (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 12 comments Hi everyone.

My name is Kristine Cayne. I write romantic suspense. Deadly Obsession, the first in my Deadly Vices series, was released this week, so I'm super excited. I've just joined Goodreads, but I've very glad to finally be here.

I'm looking forward to many exciting book discussions with all the great Goodreads readers and authors.

~Kristine

message 36: by Sascha (last edited Jan 08, 2012 11:20AM) (new)

Sascha Kersken (neo42) | 1 comments Hey everyone,

my name is Sascha Kersken, and I'm kind of an outsider here because I don't write fiction (at least not professionally) but IT textbooks, and until now, all of them have been in German. Over the years, I've written about topics such as the Apache web server, MySQL databases, Linux, Adobe Flash (which was still Macromedia Flash when the first edition came out in 2004), the Ruby programming language, and a comprehensive study guide for IT students and apprentices (my most successful work until now which was published in its fifth extended and updated edition in September 2011).

I do love novels of many genres, though, especially science fiction and fantasy, satire, thrillers, and superhero (and other) comic books. I think that I'll write a novel one day, but I'll need to find the time to do so. For now, I'm doing a web comic that you can find at http://energybraincomics.com

I'm looking forward to discussing books I've read or want to read as well as the writing process in this group.

message 37: by Eric (new)

Eric Wright | 68 comments You might find my thrillers, The Lightning File and Captives of Minara to your taste. Check them out by downloading samples here in Goodreads. Eric Wright

message 38: by Christopher (new)

Christopher T. | 3 comments Sascha wrote: "Hey everyone,

my name is Sascha Kersken, and I'm kind of an outsider here because I don't write fiction (at least not professionally) but IT textbooks, and until now, all of them have been in Germ..."

Not to add anything, but Risen might also tickle your fancy. I know that Amazon offers a free kindle sample.

message 39: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kleve | 2 comments Hi everyone,

I write humerous paranormal romance and had my first book published in Dec. by Books to Go Now.com.

message 40: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Cayne (KristineCayne) | 12 comments Welcome, everyone!

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Kleve | 2 comments Thank you!

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 42 comments Eric wrote: "You might find my thrillers, The Lightning File and Captives of Minara to your taste. Check them out by downloading samples here in Goodreads. Eric Wright"

Hi Eric, I was disappointed to find that The Lightning File isn't available for Kindle. However, I've put Captives of Minara on my TR list. Since you're into thrillers, you might enjoy mine
Lee Holz

message 43: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Sharon wrote: "Hello.

My name is Sharon. I am a fiction writer: mystery, psychological thriller, horror, and a dab of sci-fi. I'm still trying to find my way around Goodreads. Still trying to figure out why it ..."

Hi Sharon, it's nice to meet you! Sorry I'm late in welcoming you, I've been crazy busy with editing and getting ready for my next book release. Goodreads is a fantastic, supportive atmosphere. You'll love it here!

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Christopher wrote: "Hi my name is Christopher Westmoreland and I'm the author of Fiction mainly Urban Fantasy and a little horror thrown in. My first published book is Risen :The 'Greg the Zombie' Journals. I had a ..."

Welcome to Goodreads Christopher and best of luck with your book release!

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Kristine wrote: "Hi everyone.

My name is Kristine Cayne. I write romantic suspense. Deadly Obsession, the first in my Deadly Vices series, was released this week, so I'm super excited. I've just j..."

Hi Kristine,

Welcome to Goodreads! Best of luck with your romantic suspense novel. :)

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) Sascha wrote: "Hey everyone,

my name is Sascha Kersken, and I'm kind of an outsider here because I don't write fiction (at least not professionally) but IT textbooks, and until now, all of them have been in Germ..."

Hi Sascha and welcome to Goodreads! A mixture of fiction and non-fiction authors is a great thing! It's good to have you among us. :)

message 47: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 5 comments Hello all!
I'm a new author to this group. My name is Aliyah Burke and I write mostly contemporary romance, but do also write historical and paranormal romance. I'm looking forward to being a part of the group.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 48: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 5 comments Thank you so much!
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

message 49: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Burke | 5 comments No worries. Thanks for the welcome.
Happy reading,
~Aliyah

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Little Book of Poems (other topics)
Fire Baptized (other topics)
Deadly Obsession (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lee Holz (other topics)