The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Skyrim, the black hole of time

Comments (showing 1-50 of 78) (78 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by xenphilos (last edited Nov 13, 2011 10:35PM) (new)

xenphilos So, I spent about 25 hours on Skyrim this past holiday weekend. I only played about an hour of Morrowind and Oblivion put together and the Fallout games didn't have this time suck effect, so I completely underestimated how much I would spend on Skyrim these past 3 days.

I had to turn off my gaming desktop, unplug it and store in the closet so it doesn't negatively affect my class grades these next few weeks, but I'm definitely going to get back to it on weekends and on the long winter break.

Anyone else here playing Skyrim?

Anne Schuessler (anneschuessler) | 637 comments Great. Now you're getting me all interested. And I don't even have a decent games computer. Thankfully I also don't have enough money to consider getting one right now. :)

Nicolai (Nemoi) | 47 comments Skyrim is a real test of will. I got my copy on thursday and went for a weekend trip with my wife directly afterwards. Yesterday I finally managed to get some gaming time and didn't notice the hours flying by. Next weekend is full of work...

But it is such an amazing game, I really can't wait to explore all the different parts of Skyrim.

message 4: by Everitt (last edited Jan 11, 2012 03:28PM) (new)

Everitt | 56 comments I have the game, and am enjoying it but have not gotten very far yet.

Andrew (andrewlinke) | 110 comments Everything I have seen (from previews to streams of people playing) makes it look great... fortunately I have a 2 year old mac laptop that would barely run it, so I can just say, "Later" and maybe pick it up in a year or two.

Malcolm | 11 comments I did the same as you xenphi, about to hit the 30 hour mark and I've barely scratched the surface of the main quest let alone everything else you can do in the world.

I can see this one lasting me a very long time, perhaps until Elder Scrolls 6. :)

Trike | 1069 comments People are definitely raving about this game, which has me intrigued, but at the same time I'm leery of such buzz because I've been burned before.

I couldn't get into Fallout 3 despite the raves because it was yet another post-apocalyptic wasteland in various shades of brown. Gave up after a couple hours. My next game is going to be The Old Republic. Mostly because those guys made Mass Effect.

I had to sell my copy of Halo in order to get my life back, and I have avoided subsequent installments of that franchise. Mass Effect 2, though... I played the heck out of that, and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel come March.

One thing I've discovered about my tastes is that if the exact same game is presented in both flavors of Fantasy and Science Fiction, I will tend toward the SF every time. I find I'm kind of that way with movies and books, too. Jumanji and Zarathura are identical stories from the same guy, but while I enjoyed Jumanji I love Zarathura.

terpkristin | 2607 comments I got Skyrim, but (thankfully?) have yet to have that point where it sucks me in so much that I say, "30 minutes more" and then 3 hours later realize I'm still playing. I'm lucky(?) that it is actually making me a little motion sick to play on my 60" TV (I got the 360 version).

That said, with a number of books to read, I'm trying to limit my gaming time in general. I'm spending time with Skyrim as well as visiting a classic I never played before--ChronoTrigger.

Maurice | 9 comments I pre-ordered Skyrim and picked it up on release day, but this is my weekend now, and as such will be the first time I get to really get into it. I've played it a bit up till now, and can tell that I'll be in definite danger of the time-sink! :D

I'm playing a Kajiit, a sort of mage/thief cross (although Skyrim doesn't have classes). What are other people playing?

Nicolai (Nemoi) | 47 comments I am playing a Wood Elf that I want to develop into a thief/archer kind of character. I am about two and a half hours into the game an dso far the combo looks like a lot of fun, though I will need to think about what I do when the main quest forces me to do hand to hand combat. In particular once (I premuse) fights against Dragons start...

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezter) | 364 comments xenphi wrote: "So, I spent about 25 hours on Skyrim this past holiday weekend. I only played about an hour of Morrowind and Oblivion put together and the Fallout games didn't have this time suck effect, so I comp..."

This does explain why my son isn't answering his phone...

Eric Hamilton (hamiltonia) | 3 comments I dumped a good deal of time (that I didn’t have to spare) into the game this weekend. On one hand I’m happy to finally have a new game that I can deep dive into, on the other I wonder if I’ll get overwhelmed by the amount of things to do in the game and just quit because I fear I’ll never be able to finish it.

Remy | 24 comments I've been debating if I want to get this game for Christmas or not. I've watched the trailers and even some live gameplay on Justin.tv, and it looks like a game I can enjoy thoroughly. I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed: Revelations which is out tomorrow and I play Final Fantasy XI with my brother, so a third game at this time might be too much. Unless Guild Wars 2 comes out in the next few months, Skyrim will probably be my next game purchase.

Ryan (Sweeneyowns) | 43 comments awesome!! I def want this game. Batman has been sucking my life up, with COD3 as a minor distraction. I think it will work out perfectly that when I get the money for this game I'll have exhausted all play from batman, so I'll be good to go for another time suck. I love having a job where I can get alot of reading done at work! :)

aldenoneil | 999 comments Ryan wrote: "I love having a job where I can get alot of reading done at work!"

wut do you do

Micah (BlackSentai) I downloaded Skyrim and started it up, but I knew better than to actually start playing it just now. I'm doing NaNoWriMo as well as school and work and I am terrified of what this game would do to my progress in all of those fields. As soon as the semester is over I'm probably going to pour a combined 200+ hours into Skyrim and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

I think Guild Wars 2 is a few months away. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I heard March or later somewhere.

Remy | 24 comments GameStop told me 4/2/12, but that may change before then.

Ryan (Sweeneyowns) | 43 comments I am in between college and law school, working at my dads law office, which means that 75% of the time im just sitting there answering phones so I use kindle and audible on my iphone pound through books.

message 19: by AJ (new)

AJ (amyjojo) | 10 comments Eric wrote: "I dumped a good deal of time (that I didn’t have to spare) into the game this weekend. On one hand I’m happy to finally have a new game that I can deep dive into, on the other I wonder if I’ll get ..."

I agree. I got it Friday and am fully enjoying the immersion. But it's just so HUGE. I'm starting to get a little worried that it will take up all my time - especially since I'm a graduate student and really have other things I should be doing.

Nathan Forget (nforget) | 51 comments I didn't enjoy Oblivion at all. I enjoyed Fallout 3, but it didn't completely suck me in, so I never finished it. But Skyrim has got its hooks in me for sure. I have been playing it every day for hours and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. The trickiest part is going to be pacing myself so I don't get completely burned out on the game too fast.

Nicolai (Nemoi) | 47 comments My biggest problem is that it feels like a game that not only demands a lot of time, but a lot of time in one block. Last night I played for about an hour, and felt like I just got back into it. I guess you need at least an hour, if not two, for completing a lot of the quests. Hence I decided I will only fire it up if I have at least the full evening, so I guess it will take quite some time to finish.

Sam | 18 comments I never really played Oblivion, and I hated Fallout. I didn't like it because I was horrible at it. I was killed every other second and I didn't get very far. Skyrim looks amazing, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen. I loved other games like Mass Effect. I really want this game to be for me. In you awesome opinions, is it worth a shot for a dud like me?

message 23: by aldenoneil (last edited Nov 18, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 999 comments Sam wrote: "I didn't like it because I was horrible at it."

I reached points in both games where I did so terribly I thought I must be playing incorrectly, like there might be something fundamentally flawed in my approach to playing the game. (Same with Dragon Age during a chance encounter with a pack of wolves that I couldn't pass.)

With all three, though, I was able to make my way through those spots and level up enough so as not to be annihilated by every difficult enemy.

Trike | 1069 comments This is why I like demo versions of games.

One, to see if I like them. 95% get eliminated right off the bat at this stage. (The latest Dragon Age was one of those.)

And Roman Numeral B, to see if my PC can run them. Not as big a deal the past few years since I built a beast of a machine that is just now being matched, but I still encounter problems now and again. (Memory leaks in City of Heroes.)

Esther (eshchory) | 131 comments My son downloaded Skyrim yesterday (a BDAY present to himself) and I understand why he was up at dawn on the weekend. He says that even though he doesn't have a decent games computer its not as slow as he had expected.

terpkristin | 2607 comments Sam wrote: "In you awesome opinions, is it worth a shot for a dud like me?"

I played the heck out of Oblivion. Fallout wasn't for me (I prefer dragons and swords and historical type settings to futuristic settings with guns and mutants), so I can't comment on that. I will say Oblivion was kin of unforgiving if you didn't know how to level up your character. There absolutely was a right way and a wrong way to do it. Skyrim is significantly more forgiving on that, which I think makes it a bit easier. Also, with 5 difficulty settings, you can always knock it down if you're getting slaughtered too quickly..

Vladimir | 33 comments Skyrim is awesome. I never played the previous Elder Scrolls games. I started Fallout 3 but never got far, but I did finish Fallout New Vegas and loved it. I've played about 20 hours of Skyrim so far and it's awesome.

The thing is that there's so much content in it, that it feels like I'm just at the beginning of the main story line. I like to talk to every person and do every side quest in an area before moving on. Never mind exploring every cave you come across.

A warning: do NOT start this game unless you have an extra 50-100 hours to spare.

Eric Booth (ericbooth) | 24 comments I only have 3 words to say. SKYRIM! SKYRIM! SKYRIM!. That is all.

Larry (lomifeh) | 88 comments Loving Skyrim myself. Had to play a Nord though, because yeah who doesn't want to play a Viking.

I was exploring and happened upon the glacier in the far north. Wondering through the canyons of the glacier then making it up top. It is an amazing looking game. And some of the quests are pretty well done. I stumbled upon this one where I ended up cleansing a temple and getting the most kick butt undead slaying sword. I felt all epic and like I had a mission upon finishing it.

Anyway they fixed a lot of the problems in earlier games and I like how what you do actually frames your character development. You don't put points into skills you use them to level them up which in turn levels you up. Very smartly done.

Tora | 69 comments Sam wrote: "I never really played Oblivion, and I hated Fallout. I didn't like it because I was horrible at it. I was killed every other second and I didn't get very far. Skyrim looks amazing, but I'm afraid t..."

I can't tell you about Skyrim, because sadly my computer died a painful, multi-bluescreen death, and I'm still comparison shopping before deciding to part with major cash for a new one. However, I *can* say that I had difficulty with the fighting in Oblivion, and that while I improved over time, I was still finding the game frustratingly difficult. That is, until someone pointed out to me that there is a difficulty setting that you can change. So I found that (I think it's in the main menu when you first load the game), and moved the slider a bit to the left, and the game immediately became enormously more fun. No doubt people who love FPS games would point and mock, but I admit I don't have the best eye-hand coordination in the world, and I'd rather have fun with a game than have my character die over and over and be annoyed by it. And it's not cheating if they put the option in a menu!

So if Skyrim is set up the same way, you could just lower the difficulty to a point where it was challenging without being impossible or frustrating.

xenphilos Tora wrote: "Sam wrote: "I never really played Oblivion, and I hated Fallout. I didn't like it because I was horrible at it. I was killed every other second and I didn't get very far. Skyrim looks amazing, but ..."

Don't play Dark Souls.

Mike Betts (michaelbetts) | 255 comments I've put 47 hours into the game by now. I'm amazed at the breadth and depth of the world, and how detailed it is for its size.

My main struggle is that I find myself wanting to do everything, but I'm not sure how to tackle my huge quest log. I don't like start-stopping questlines, because there are storylines to the quests, but everytime a quest sends me across the world, I pick up another dozen quests just getting there!

But it's really a wonderful game.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1193 comments Reading all of these comments I might give Skyrim a try. Loved Morrowind and probably spent almost as much time modding it as playing it.. lol. I added so much content that the space taken by the game on my PC eventually increased from the initial 730 mb to over 3 gig

Adam (KrankyCheese) | 7 comments I missed the Morrowwind and Oblivion games, but decided to give this one a try since I enjoyed Fallout 3 (over 100 hours with 2 characters). So far, I am really enjoying it. The first person melee is a little odd, but I am slowly figuring it out. The nice thing with the PC version was that I was able to find a mod to get rid of the spiders and replace them with a stiff bear graphic. Otherwise, my stress level went up in the couple of dungeons that I went in. :)

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezter) | 364 comments This thread is actually making me very tempted to join in. Fortunately, I'm not sure my pc is quite up to the job. Although I am considering 'investing' in a new graphics card in any case...

Soragon | 14 comments I was enjoying Dragon Age a lot more than Skyrim. I don't know why but 10 hours in and Skyrim doesn't seem to have a weighty story arc.

Matthew (masupert) | 192 comments @Soragon if you are looking for a story arc, then The Elder Scrolls game won't be your thing. That was my problem in oblivion ,but I have come to accept it in Skyrim. These games basically plop you into a world and say, "have at it". There is no path. It is basically an entire game of side quests. You can lose literally hundreds of hours on These quests and never touch the main storyline if you don't want to.

Tora | 69 comments Matthew wrote: [Elder Scrolls] games basically plop you into a world and say, "have at it".

This is what so many people, including me, love about them. A friend of mine said that he was surprised how short and quick Oblivion was, and I boggled because I felt it was the "biggest" RPG game I'd ever played. Then I realized that he was used to playing Japanese RPGs which are typically very linear, and thus he had simply done the main quest without exploring or getting side quests or anything. So he played maybe 10% (if that!) of the total game. I, on the other hand, after getting out of the dungeon, promptly went off exploring, joined the guilds, gathered every plant I came across and improved my alchemy skill, explored every site and stripped the corpses and sold everything and bought a horse and a house and talked to everyone and worked on every side quest and had played for 100 hours before I had ever even gone to Kvatch. I am so looking forward to Skyrim! After I buy a new computer. *sigh*

message 39: by terpkristin (last edited Nov 28, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

terpkristin | 2607 comments Thanks to Touch Arcade and TUAW, you can read the books from Skyrim on your Kindle (.MOBI) or ePub-compatible device. Kinda interesting...

message 40: by Adrian (last edited Nov 29, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments I've been playing Skyrim the last week and a half or so, on Medium (sigh, my PC needs an upgrade). It's a great game, I think the reason I love it so much is because it's more akin to the newer Fallouts rather than Oblivion (which I didn't exactly hate as much as tolerate with contempt). That being said I had to take a three day brake from Skyrim to play and finish Skyward Sword (which, interestingly enough, is both Sword and Laser).
Anyway, between those two and Elantris, the long weekend starting on December 1st could not be more welcome. Fantasy binge, here I come!

Will (longklaw) | 215 comments Yeah, whenever I play it I play for 6 or 7 hours straight. I put it away over the weekend and started playing something else.

message 42: by AJ (new)

AJ (amyjojo) | 10 comments terpkristin wrote: "Thanks to Touch Arcade and TUAW, you can read the books from Skyrim on your Kindle (.MOBI) or ePub-compatible device. Kinda interesting..."

Fantastic! I'm totally checking this out. I actually feel guilty if I don't read every book I find from cover to cover, but if I did the game progression would be way too slow. The bf and I are both playing (and have to fight over who gets to each evening), so every little moment of game time is precious. Plus, I don't want him to level up faster than me!

Mike Betts (michaelbetts) | 255 comments I have actually read every book I have encountered in the game so far. I'm at the point where most of the books I find that I have already read. My favorites are easily the "fable" stories, particularly the one about Vernaccus and Barlour.

message 44: by Shaun (last edited Nov 29, 2011 09:29PM) (new)

Shaun | 11 comments I've played 60+ hours and haven't even started the main quest yet :). I've been purposefully avoiding it actually. Think I'm going to go stormcloaks when the time comes just because I'm playing a thief/assassin type so far and the stormcloaks seem more like the bad guys from everything I've seen.

message 45: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Jlawrence | 787 comments Mod
I liked Morrowind and Oblivion (especially with mods), and really got sucked into Fallout 3 (completed it, which I didn't with those other two). I've only scratched the surface of Skyrim because I had to deny myself it for NaNoWriMo, but even the little I've played makes me like it even more than those previous Bethesda open-world fests, even with the clumsy console-port UI since I'm playing on PC. I'm really looking forward to finally getting sucked into the Skyrim black hole... *disappears down a dragon's maw*

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Dang. I need some serious free time to play this (not to mention the new Zelda too). Unlikely to happen till close to Christmas. Wouldn't mind a new graphics card either to spruce up those pixels. How's the main story line playing out? compelling?

message 47: by xenphilos (last edited Dec 02, 2011 09:26AM) (new)

xenphilos Andrew wrote: "How's the main story line playing out? compelling?"

It's fine. It's not as central to the game as you might think and is not much longer than other large quests, but it's fun and the voice actors are great. I played through the main quest until I finished it first because the shouts you get are awesome. For example, (view spoiler)

Shaun | 11 comments I'm currently at 97 hours and I've barely started the main quest on my assassin. Think I'm gonna have to do it soon though, cause I'm getting the urge to play a mage :).

Scott | 41 comments I am in love with it so far. I'm playing one of the lizard people stealth/archery. Though I wish I had chosen to be one of the Kajiit instead. I've killed three helpers for no other reason then I couldn't tell the difference between them and the enemy in the dark and ended up shooting an arrow through their head (cats can see in the dark supposedly). Though and I can never get me regen to activate *sigh*

Luckily my friends pester me enough to get off of it to play some COD:3 Sometimes I wish my girlfriend was into something other then gaming if for no other reason then to get us outside >,<

Tone (tone_milazzo) Last weekend I played for about an hour on my PlayStation 3 and then spent three hours saving the game.

Since I want to be a good assassin I spent most of that hour picking flowers and catching butterflies.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Elantris (other topics)