Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > book descriptions on kindle

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lora | 81 comments I was just wondering why books for kindle don't have the description of the book in the beginning or the back cover like a regular paperback book does? I have several books on my kindle which I'm sure everyone else does and when I am done with one book I want to browse my books to see which one I want to read next. I don't remember what they are all about. With a paperback, I would flip it over and read the back, can't do that on the kindle. :( I realize there is that feature that says "book description" but then I have to turn the wi-fi on and go to amazon and read the description. Kind of time consuming for each book, and sometimes I'm not by a wifi hotspot. Just sayin.

Betsy | 329 comments Some people use Calibre for this, to add a description for each book to the database. Seems like a lot of work to me.

I just look up the book on the Goodreads app on my phone. No wifi needed.

Melissa Summers | 6 comments That is what I miss the most when using the kindle. I do look up the book descriptions here or on Amazon when browsing but an option to view the "back cover" of a book would be wonderful.

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments I have the exact same problem. I've started just deciding based on the cover and the title and what I'm in the mood for. But it would be nice to have a line or two of description, if nothing else. Even the genre would be better than nothing.

Lora | 81 comments Mhairi wrote: "I have the exact same problem. I've started just deciding based on the cover and the title and what I'm in the mood for. But it would be nice to have a line or two of description, if nothing else. ..."

Well I have the books entered when I get them under categories such as fiction,non fiction, thriller etc. but that doesn't help a great deal because a lot of books can go under those very basic categories. They have the front cover and sometimes a whole bunch of chapter listed, which seem pointless to me, but not the back cover with the description! I'm glad I'm not the only one that would like that!

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 106 comments I read my kindle books on my iPod Touch - don't think I can even have categories. They're just all in one big list!

message 7: by Jen (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:55AM) (new)

Jen (jblei) | 44 comments Not seeing the covers is also what I miss most about the kindle- it still baffles me that they don't improve the search function, and allow tags etc. I also find that it's easier to 'forget' authors now...when you're picking up a paper book you see that author's name every time you open it, and I find that now I'm often going back and checking unfamiliar authors.

I do use calibre so that I can easily organize things into collections- it's one click to download the metadata (all of the book info), so I don't find that too onerous. I have a 'to read' collection, but don't always remember exactly which books are which on the kindle, so I can just open calibre and browse through it. One of the things that I like about having things organized in calibre is that I don't have to look up books individually...I can choose the collection that I feel like reading, and then browse through all of those books immediately.

Hopefully the kindle Fire's going to at least have some apps that allow you to browse by cover, if not see the metadata.

Lora | 81 comments I don't have calibre and probably wouldn't be able to figure it out either! Too bad Kindle with all it's qualities does not have a simple thing as having the back cover! It has other features which I never use such as notes and highlights and stuff like that. But I agree, there is things with a paperback book that I definitely miss on my kindle. The ability to thumb back and search for something on a particular page easily and see the entire book including the author name each time you pick that book up. I love my kindle but I do miss the feel and smell and other features of an actual book sometimes.

Tina Boscha (TinaBoscha) | 19 comments I didn't know about Calibre - that might be good to download. It's an extra step, though. I feel like I have so many things to keep updated online and on my computer that I feel overwhelmed. Argh.

It's almost like buying music on iTunes - I never know what an album cover looks like anymore. But weirdly, I don't miss that, but I would certainly miss it for a book.

Helen | 583 comments I don't miss the weight or smell of actual books and prefer reading my kindle. I really miss seeing the cover every time I pick the book up although I do like the 'authors'. I agree about the blurb, I end up going back to GR or ignoring a book I can no longer remember! The option to choose a back cover (without wifi) would be great.

Sonya v.e. | 227 comments I don't miss it when my books get wet. the smell is awful

unread topics | mark unread