Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2011 Archive > November readathon: Progress and minichallenges

Comments (showing 52-101)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 101: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments Wow! 2.500 pages! I was barely able to make it past 1.500! That's great!

message 100: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Ann wrote: "Nancy wrote: "We were traveling today, so I am just now getting to post my results:

Finished: Agnes and the Hitman - last 60 p.(which I had begun earlier)
Carbs and Cadavers - 277p.
..."

This is the first time I was able to do that, Ann, so I know you can, too. Just keep participating, and it will happen!

message 99: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Nancy wrote: "We were traveling today, so I am just now getting to post my results:

Behem..."

Over 2000 pages AGAIN! WOW! Maybe next time for me...sigh...

message 98: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 26, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments We were traveling today, so I am just now getting to post my results:

Behemoth - 481p. (for challenge #1 and maybe #3 if I don't have time to do another book for #3 by the end of the week)
One Bad Apple - 262p.(#2 challenge)
Tisha - 361p. (#6 challenge)
Pardonable Lies - 340p. (#7 challenge)
Getting Lucky - 364p. (challenge #5)
Girl with A Pearl Earring - 233p. (challenge #3)

Started but didn't get very far in:
The Language of Flowers - 21p.
Rules of Attraction - 52p.
Beauty Queens - 61p.

Total pages: 2,512

message 97: by Ann A (last edited Nov 26, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 7 Report

Finished:
The Paris Wife - 116 pgs (Challenge #6)

In progress:
Voyager - 21 pgs
Decline and Fall - 54 pgs
On Canaan's Side - 26 pgs

Day 7 total: 217 pgs
Final total: 1538 pages

I will post my summary on the other thread.

message 96: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments My books:
I feel like leaving a bit more here than just the numbers of pages read so here are some thoughts about the books I read during the readathon.
1) Variant by Robison Wells
Good book, a bit surprising at times to me, but maybe I just didn't read the description that clearly, but I really love the fact that I had no idea! The suspense was great! This one was suggested by goodreads in the recommendations and I was really amazed, it was a good suggestion. But it is one of the books you should read combined with the sequel (which will only come out in a year or so as Variant is a quite recent release. I like trilogies, but I think at least the first book should "stand alone" on a bit more steady feet ;-). Maybe I am just a lil pissed to have to wait so long for the sequel, there was quite a cliffhanger at the end.
2) Saeculum by Ursula Poznanski (496 pages, book finished)
Great book. I loved Erebos by the same author, this one was a bit more predictable, but it was very catchy and the pages flew by. I am not sure when or if either of the books will be available in English. The author is from Austria and I read them in German.
3) Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (317 pages)
I am STILL not finished. I enjoyed part one and now after quite a while picked up the sequel, it is ok, but not great. I rarely feel the "need" to keep on reading, usually I finish books within a few days, this one I am reading for a week now! I am determined to finish it today though.
4) Candor by Pam Bachorz (249 pages, book finished)
After the first goodreads recommendation was so successful I went back and had another look. I did have a sample for this suggestion on my kindle and started reading. It sounded good so I got the full book. It was a good read, although HERE I wish for a sequel! I do like not quite so happy endings but here I wished for a lil more "happiness". I liked the humor and the light language.
5) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (83 pages)
I am not sure yet what to think of this. I am constantly between loving it and wondering why I am reading it.
I also got some ideas of what to read next during this readathon so thanks. I think the lists of our fav books of the years are a great source to find some more treasures and I will surely go back there and have a closer look.

message 95: by Ann A (last edited Nov 25, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 5/6 Report

Finished:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 76 pages (Challenge #3)

In progress:
The Paris Wife - 72 pgs
Voyager - 36 pgs
Decline and Fall - 80 pgs
On Canaan's Side - 8 pgs

Day 5/6 total: 272 pgs
Running total: 1321 pages

Way to go, Nadine! I think we'll let you have that 2-page cheat past midnight:) I still have 18 hours left, so I hope to add a bit more to my final total.

message 94: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments 1) Variant by Robison Wells (356 pages, book finished)
3) Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (317 pages)
5) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (83 pages)

1.501 pages!!!
Haha, I cheated a lil. At midnight I was at 1.498 pages, but I refused to stop so I read a lil more than "one week". 3 pages past midnight. ;-) I just couldn't stop 2 pages before my big goal of 1.500 pages!
So I am very happy with my readathon. Again I got totally sidetracked from my plans and I didn't get to read much for those wonderful mini-challenge tasks. But I really love them and they brought me "Variant", which was a very catchy read. (The recommendations feature by Goodreads)

message 93: by Linette (new)

Linette Progress so far:

Changes 546 pages (finished)
The Next Always 352 pages (finished)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet 290 pages (finished)
The Last Unicorn 212 pages (finished)
11/22/63 168 pages
Stone of Farewell 52 pages

Total pages: 1620

message 92: by Nadine (last edited Nov 25, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Nadine | 264 comments Nancy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Oh that sounds like a worthy read. I found a kindle version of it and actually bought it in the meantime :-)."

Great! Happy reading. Let me know how you like it."

Yes I will let you know. :-)
But that's the "downside" of the read-a-thon. I minimize my "to be read pile" a good deal in that week but get PLENTY of ideas what books to buy ;-)

message 91: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Nadine wrote: "Oh that sounds like a worthy read. I found a kindle version of it and actually bought it in the meantime :-)."

Great! Happy reading. Let me know how you like it.

message 90: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments Oh that sounds like a worthy read. I found a kindle version of it and actually bought it in the meantime :-).

message 89: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 25, 2011 10:00AM) (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Nadine wrote: "I think I have to hunt down Tisha as well, that sounds really compelling :-)."

It is REALLY good. I read the original hardback that I got at a library book sale, but it is also out in paperback. I think you will like it. I had to almost stop a couple of times, because I have an adopted son who is native American from that part of Canada, and I got so angry at the treatment of the natives by the whites that I almost had to stop reading. But I'm glad I kept going because it had a great ending!

message 88: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments I think I have to hunt down Tisha as well, that sounds really compelling :-).

message 87: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Finished: Agnes and the Hitman - last 60 p.(which I had begun earlier)
Behemoth - 481p. (for challenge #1 and maybe #3 if I don't have time to do another book for #3 by the end of the week)
Tisha - 361p. (#6 challenge)
Pardonable Lies - 340p. [#7 challenge)

Started:
Getting Lucky - (challenge #5)
Girl with A Pearl Earring - (challenge #3)

Margie - I see why Tisha is one of your favorite all-time books -I love it, too. Thanks for putting it on your list, which encouraged me to read it for this Read-a-thon! I really enjoyed it.

message 86: by Dee (last edited Nov 25, 2011 09:59AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 922 comments Mod
Dee's Read-a-thon Progress

Started 19th (at 11am EST)

Total Pages - 2112

Books Finished
Exposure (started at 30%)
Canary Island Song (started at pg 217) - got a bit too preachy towards the end, but its another country off the list on my around the world challenge
Just the Sexiest Man Alive - I devoured this book, for lack of a better term, the author drew me right in and I didn't want to put it down
Wrestling with Desire - cute coming of age read for a challenge in another group - new author, but i'll be checking out more by him in the future
Tiger Eyes (Audiobook)(started at 50%) - I remember reading this as a teen, so re-reading it now was entertaining, so much stuff that happened to Davy is still applicable today - I can't believe that is still shows up on the most frequently banned list after nearly 30 years in print
Eloquent Silence (audiobook) - 288 pages
Bridge to Terabithia (audiobook)(started at 75%) - 36 pages
Master of Crows (Mini-challenge 7) - 276 pages
Captive Angels (Mini-challenge 5) - 272 pages
The Guy Next Door - 378 pages

Books In Progress
Sacred Horses: Memoirs of a Turkmen Cowboy (started at pg 154)
Still Waters in Niger (started at pg 51)
A Separate Peace (started at pg 86)
Ali and Nino: A Love Story (Started at pg 67)

message 85: by Julie (new)

Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries) (jewelknits) | 63 comments Reading Progress

FINISHED:

Last 126 pages of

Russian Winter by Daphne Kolotay = Not-Quite-A-Chunkster challenge (#1)

Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo - I can't see the bottom of the pile challenge (#5) - 400 pages

Prophecy the Fulfillment by Deborah Jaeger - 392 pages

CURRENTLY READING:

Bag of Bones by Stephen King - 230 pages
Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer - 52 pages
Only Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer

Total pages read: 1200

Total Books Completed:

Doctor Margaret's Sea Chest by Waheed Rabbani Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay Alex Cross's Trial by James Patterson Prophecy the Fulfillment by Deborah A. Jaeger

message 84: by Linette (new)

Linette Progress so far:

Changes 546 pages (finished)
The Next Always 352 pages (finished)
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet 290 pages (finished)
The Last Unicorn 111 pages
11/22/63 168 pages

message 83: by Nadine (last edited Nov 24, 2011 02:25PM) (new)

Nadine | 264 comments After Day 6:
1) Variant by Robison Wells (356 pages, book finished)
3) Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (151 pages)
5) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (37 pages)

1.289 pages in total, my goal is 1.500 and I am hopeful I can make it :-)

message 82: by Dee (new)

Total Pages - 1734

Books Finished
Canary Island Song (started at pg 217) - got a bit too preachy towards the end, but its another country off the list on my around the world challenge
Just the Sexiest Man Alive - I devoured this book, for lack of a better term, the author drew me right in and I didn't want to put it down
Wrestling with Desire - cute coming of age read for a challenge in another group - new author, but i'll be checking out more by him in the future
Tiger Eyes (Audiobook)(started at 50%) - I remember reading this as a teen, so re-reading it now was entertaining, so much stuff that happened to Davy is still applicable today - I can't believe that is still shows up on the most frequently banned list after nearly 30 years in print
Master of Crows (Mini-challenge 7) - 276 pages
Captive Angels (Mini-challenge 5) - 272 pages

Books In Progress
Sacred Horses: Memoirs of a Turkmen Cowboy
Still Waters in Niger
A Separate Peace

message 81: by Nadine (last edited Nov 24, 2011 01:19AM) (new)

Nadine | 264 comments Hm, I am not finished yet. I read Poison Study about a year ago and enjoyed it, but not enough to read the sequels. In the meantime I read Inside out and Ouside in by the same author, which I liked AND I have to confess I had a crush on Valek in book 1 ;-). So I wanted to read more about him. Well he hasn't showed up after 50 % of the book. :-(
The story is ok, I like the new settings and people a lot, but somehow I am not captivated by the story. Poison Study had much more of a "must read more!" feeling about it. I want to finish it within the readathon so I will let you know about my final verdict. :-)

message 80: by Shay (new)

Shay | 370 comments Nadine, how was Magic Study. It's one of those books I really wanted to read and then forgot about.

message 79: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya the Walking Butterfly (walkingbutterfly) | 229 comments Books I've Finished:
Cloaked (started at 54%)
Frostbite (started at page 1)

Currently Reading:
Eragon & Emma

message 78: by Nadine (last edited Nov 23, 2011 03:02PM) (new)

Nadine | 264 comments After Day 5:
3) Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (110 pages)
4) Candor by Pam Bachorz (176 pages)

1.138 pages

Initial Plan in brackets:
1. Not-quite-a-chunkster ✔ Saeculum (The Help or Hate List)
2. Test drive ✔ Variant (iBoy)
3. What reading resolution are you talking about? ------
4. Moderators Pick -------
5. Honey, I can't see the bottom of the pile (The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao)
6. And the best book is... (The Help or Hate List)
7. Random Fortune (#90: Twelve)

message 77: by Dee (last edited Nov 23, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Total Pages - 1186

Books Finished

Books In Progress
Still Waters in Niger
A Separate Peace
Captive Angels
Master of Crows

message 76: by Heather (last edited Nov 25, 2011 02:40PM) (new)

Heather | 118 comments Here is my midweek update
Finished

That Old Cape Magic - 272 pgs
Anna Dressed in Blood - 320 pgs (#6 of mini challenge)
Lover Unleashed - 537 pgs (#1 & #7 of min challenge)
As an Earl Desires - 371 pgs (#2 of mini challenge)

Running Total: 1500 pgs

message 75: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Have finished 3 of the mini-challenges, 6 books, and 1632 pages.

message 74: by Ann A (last edited Nov 23, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 4 Report

In progress:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 113 pgs
The Paris Wife - 50 pgs
Voyager - 39 pgs (am listening to the excellent audio version of this)
Decline and Fall - 40 pgs

Day 4 total: 242 pgs
Running total: 1049 pages

I won't have Internet at home for a few days due to a modem issue (I'm currently sitting at Starbucks), so I'll wish all American readers a Happy Thanksgiving now. Hope you fit in a few pages between the turkey and the nap (or the football)!

message 73: by Amber (new)

Amber I am officially making zero progress in this month's RAT. My birthday kicked off the weekend, so Saturday and Sunday were out. And now with Thanksgiving tomorrow and training at work, I have only made it through 100 pages in the last 4 days. I'm very disappointed with myself! Congrats to everyone who has been able to make a dent in their reading lists!!

message 72: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 22, 2011 07:56PM) (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Finished: Agnes and the Hitman - last 60 p.(which I had begun earlier)

Started:
Tisha - 173p. [#6 challenge - thanks, Margie - I am really enjoying this book!]
Pardonable Lies - 87p. [#7 challenge]

message 71: by Linette (new)

Linette Day 4:

Changes 546 pages
This fits for challenges #1 and #3.
The Next Always 352 pages
This book fit my 'due back at the library' challenge ;)

message 70: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments After Day 4:

4) Candor by Pam Bachorz (50 pages)

1.012 pages Haha, just barely over 1.000. I got distracted too much in the evening. ;-) I hope to get an hour or so of reading in bed :-).

message 69: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Nov 22, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 505 comments I thought I was going to off a little more this week. But unfortunately I am not...I am going to try to finish a book tonight though.

message 68: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments Haha, I am living in a Thanksgiving-free country so that is not affecting me, but it really is a bit quiet. I finished Saeculum earlier and picked up Candor now. It is not bad. But right now I am in need of a little snack. I am short of my celebrating the 1.000 pages mark! :-) 13 pages left right now.

message 67: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 3 Report (Mon. 11:00 a.m. MST to Tue. 11:00 a.m.)

Finished:
The Dark Frigate - 126 pgs
Grave Surprise - 78 pgs

In progress:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 107 pgs (Challenge #3)
The Paris Wife - 76 pgs (Challenge #6)

Total for Day 3: 387 pgs
Running total: 807 pages

You're right, Nadine- I'm liking Miss Peregrine even more. It's a little quiet around here. People must be getting ready for Thanksgiving. It's not possible anyone is tired of reading, is it?! Not us addicts!

message 66: by [deleted user] (new)

i want to read
in 24 hours
3 books
A bite to remember 362
Flash Burnout 321
Born to Bite 358
and maybe more if i can

message 65: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 21, 2011 06:28PM) (new)

Started:
Tisha - 69p. [#6 challenge - thanks, Margie]
Pardonable Lies - 64p. [#7 challenge]
One Bad Apple - 62p. [#2 challenge]

message 64: by Dee (last edited Nov 21, 2011 03:10PM) (new)

Total Pages - 862

Books Finished

Books In Progress
Still Waters in Niger
A Separate Peace
Captive Angels
Master of Crows

message 63: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments After day 3:
Books:
2) Saeculum by Ursula Poznanski (336 pages)

total pages: 802 after 3 days

message 62: by Nadine (new)

Nadine | 264 comments @ Ann: I was one of those who enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children during the last read-a-thon (I was inspired there as well as some people sounded really intrigued .) I got it as an ebook though which wasn't the greatest idea since I think the pictures have a better appeal in a print book. I found the first half a bit boring, but then I totally fell for the book, so I think the best bits are yet to come for you :-).

message 61: by Ann A (last edited Nov 21, 2011 01:58PM) (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 2 Report (Sun. 11:00 a.m. MST to Mon. 11:00 a.m.)

In progress:
Grave Sight - 90 pages
The Dark Frigate - 80 pages
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 52 pages - This book has totally sucked me in. I hope it stays this good! I noticed several of you read it during the last RAT, so it went on my TBR list for this time.

Total for Day 2: 222 pages
Running total: 420 pages

I've put everything on the "back burner" for today and am going to read until my eyes fall out (well, maybe not quite that long)!

message 60: by Dee (new)

Total Pages - 753

Books Finished

Books In Progress
Still Waters in Niger
A Separate Peace
Captive Angels
Master of Crows

message 59: by Nancy H (last edited Nov 20, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

Nancy H | 637 comments Here are my updates for today, although I am going to read more of the 'Apple' one before I go to bed:

Finished:Agnes and the Hitman (which I had begun earlier)
Carbs and Cadavers

Started:
Behemoth - 303p. [#1 challenge]
Tisha - 69p. [#6 challenge - thanks, Margie]
Pardonable Lies - 60p. [#7 challenge]
One Bad Apple - 29p. [#2 challenge]

Margie - I think I am really going to enjoy 'Tisha' because we just went to Alaska this summer and what I have read so far intrigues me since we went to White Horse and the Yukon and several other places in that area. We didn't get to Chicken, though, and now I wish we would have. I am sure I am going to like reading about it. I'm so glad you had it on your 'Best' list because I have been wanting to read it and this gives me the perfect opportunity.

message 58: by Dee (new)

Total Pages - 453

Books Finished
Canary Island Song (started at pg 217)

Books In Progress
Still Waters in Niger
A Separate Peace
Captive Angels
Master of Crows
Wrestling with Desire

message 57: by LynnB (new)

LynnB After day two: 2 books + finished up 2 books, read 850 pages.

message 56: by Linette (new)

Linette Finished 1 book - an amazing one:
Changes 546 pages
This fits for challenges #1 and #3.

message 55: by Nadine (last edited Nov 22, 2011 05:48AM) (new)

Nadine | 264 comments After day 2:
2) Saeculum by Ursula Poznanski (150 pages) (Very good story, but I still feel a bit like the story hasn't really taken off yet, although it DID, strange feeling, I keep waiting for the real action to start.)
3) Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder (80 pages) (the book is ok, but I am not really caught. Almost half the book read and the love interest of the heroine (from book one) hasn't showed up at all yet!)

message 54: by Dee (new)

ditto Shay - i started like 4 different books yesterday and none of them were the ILL books that I have to finish up and return

message 53: by Shay (new)

Shay | 370 comments I feel like I'm in a reading slump. I can't focus on any one book right now.

message 52: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (Readerann) | 377 comments Day 1 Report

Finished Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller - Last 125 pages
Grave Sight - 33 pages
The Dark Frigate - 40 pages

Total pages: 198

I really wanted to do my 24-Hour Readathon yesterday, but the day was just too busy. I now plan to do it tomorrow (Monday). I need to start racking up those page totals!

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Beautiful Disaster (other topics)
Kushiel's Dart (other topics)
Between Shades of Gray (other topics)
Letters From Home (other topics)
Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kendare Blake (other topics)
Paula McLain (other topics)
Sharon Kay Penman (other topics)
Stephen King (other topics)
Hillary Jordan (other topics)
More...