flight paths discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive:What Are You Reading > november 15-31

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments as we move deeper into winter, are you reading more or less than usual? Looking for short swift reads, or lengthy tomes savored slowly?

message 2: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments As far as I can tell my reading is not impacted by the seasons, of course for our southern hemisphere members its moving to Summer. However the Sea Ice is slow to form this year in my vicinity !

Moving onto The Crow as I am reading the series back to back. Although YA , its just about as YA as Lord of the Rings. More story than depth but interesting nonetheless.

As to the multi tasking I have reduced the concurrent reading enough to allow me to return to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments It will be interesting to see what I will be reading on my extra day in November, 31st !

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments Boy, do I need an extra day!

I am realizing, tweaked by Moonbutterfly's comment, that it may well be mobility more than season per se that is the greater influence. I tend to want something that can withstand a lot of interruptions (and possibly some rough treatment) when I am mobile, short stories, poems, essays. in the winter I hibernate as much as possible and like a tale that can spin out, under the covers with a cup of tea and a nice heavy book on my lap.

Polar bears are lucky, they dont need covers!

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments I enjoyed ShoGun, and have it stored away to be read again someday. Meanwhile getting the last of the Pellinor books from the Library, and immersing myself in the the girl with the dragon tattoo.

A twin track approach, one from a home pile, one from the library.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments I've wondered about ShoGun, it seems like a huge investment in time and I have been hard pressed for quality reading time lately, and reading much slower than I used to. And why do I get the feeling that it would be a good summer book?

Today I sold a copy of the girl,and, to another customer, a hornets nest.
Myself, I am not so keen,a lot of gratuitis violence, I have heard.
And I dont like mysteries.
That said :-( I realize, Ice, that you do like mysteries (but not Violence) so it will be interesting to get your opinion. If you have enough to say, maybe you could start a thread in the appropriat spot,if you like.

Jim I received Hurakami's first two books yesterday - Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973. They are both small format, about 130 & 160 pages, respectively, But due to the small page size, more like 90 & 120 pages - novellas, really.

I'm going to finish Wind-up Bird Chronicle before I start these. I imagine they can each be read in a single session of about 2 hours each.

Opening line of his first novel, Hear the Wind Sing:

"There's no such thing as perfect writing. Just like there's no such thing as perfect despair."

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 380 comments OMG-I have been wanting to read Pinball forever! It's the only (I think) Murakami I haven't read yet. Please post after you read it.

I wonder what "perfect despair" would look (or feel) like?

Jim Ellie wrote: "OMG-I have been wanting to read Pinball forever! It's the only (I think) Murakami I haven't read yet. Please post after you read it.

I wonder what "perfect despair" would look (or feel) like?"

Will do. I read the first chapter of Hear the Wind Sing this morning. I don't know his entire oeuvre, but his voice/outlook/style is present from day one.

I am neither Asian nor an Asian philosophy expert, but part of that opening line makes me think of the idea that there are no absolutes - of any kind - in the world. The Tai Chi mandala (yin/yang symbol) suggests that no matter how much something may seem to be absolute, it contains a minute amount of its opposite. Our deepest despair contains a trace of hope, etc.

Or something like that...

message 10: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments To whom it may concern

***************** HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Ice wrote: "To whom it may concern

***************** HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you Ice! And happy T-day to you and yours...

message 12: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments As the group is notionally based in Canada perhaps I should have added 'south of the border'.

Of course as an Englishman I will be celebrating with home assembled pizza, and italian wine. The turkey is safe until christmas.

Jim Ice wrote: "As the group is notionally based in Canada perhaps I should have added 'south of the border'.

Of course as an Englishman I will be celebrating with home assembled pizza, and italian wine. The tu..."

I'm living in France and this will be the first time in 50 years that I haven't celebrated Thanksgiving.

In France, today is just jeudi...

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments Flight Paths is an international group, no archaic nationalistic notions here!

do they have thanksgiving officially in England?

I think you both Ice and Jim carry a spirit of thanksgiving: gratitude and appreciation, in your own hearts at all times and wherever you go, and therefore can celebrate whenever you so please :-)

I think its a bigger holiday in the states.
Somehow tied in to football?

message 15: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments Nice to know that the real meaning is lost in the chanting of cheerleaders - not !

Although I do like watching the NFL.

Jim Ice wrote: "Nice to know that the real meaning is lost in the chanting of cheerleaders - not !

Although I do like watching the NFL."

It's definitely a HUGE holiday in the US. The men watch football while the women cook all day and talk about their strategic shopping plans for Black Friday, which is what Thanksgiving is really about, LOL!!!

Beyond that, it's all about being together with family and remembering why you all live so far apart!!! ROFL!!!

No seriously, I like the holiday, especially the eating and drinking part...

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 380 comments I always forget about the football. Also Black Friday. We watched the Macy*s Parade on TV (one year, when the kids were younger, I acted out the whole parade for them, using large stuffed animals as floats, and being my own Rockettes and marching bands) and we're making the stuffing now.

It's about cooking and eating & fighting & laughing & not going to work!

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Nov 24, 2011 09:22AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments possibly both of you are just about to eat dinner in the near future. I.m just doing breakfast but please accept merry thanksgiving wishes for some kind of feast tonight for Ice who never did say if its official hol there, and Jum in blissful exile

have a toast to us!

message 19: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 496 comments Any excuse for celebration even if its not a public holiday ! .... but it is the end of the working day.

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 380 comments Oh we won't be eating for hours; we're just noshing on chestnuts, sausage & antipasto while we cook & clean (& fight over computer time).

message 21: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Nov 24, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 859 comments oh just noshing on chestnuts and antipasto, she says.
Two of my favorite foods. I actually have some pumpkin soup that I made on the weekend soup warming up.
I am trying to muster the energy to go back into the cold to see a band I love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0npzG... Imaginary cities, from Winnipeg.
I may have sent you this before.
Thing is, after work I attended a workshop, so really enough stimulation for today. And the money investment.And,I need to work on my show for Sunday. But the kicker, its a dark and stormy night.....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Crow (other topics)
Pinball, 1973 (other topics)
Hear the Wind Sing (other topics)