J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

Group Reads > Anyone interested in a reading group?

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brooke | 8 comments Would anyone be intersted in selecting a book to read as a group for December? What are your thoughts?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been wanting to reread Tolkien's unfinished epic poem the Lay of Leithian for a while. It can be found in the collection The Lays of Beleriand.

*Kashi* | 3 comments Pretty inviting. I'm in depending on the Book.

Marta (martex21) | 6 comments Any suggestions about the book?

Marta (martex21) | 6 comments So you are suggesting some King Arthur's story?
For me it seems to be quite a good idea ;)

Michael | 286 comments Mod
Yes, Marta - those are my suggestions :-) but I'm open to other suggestions.

Marta (martex21) | 6 comments I was thinking about re-reading Hobbit or some of Tolkien's tales.

Maybe something about Inkling's?

Derrick (HeartyGuffaw) | 1 comments C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy?

Robyn Brown | 7 comments Derrick wrote: "C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy?"

Such as Perelandra? Those were good....The Hobbit is always a happy distraction too...

Ha, I'm a dufus! I was looking at an Arthurian Group and then clearly got confused when your notification flashed up. Obviously, my Arthurian suggestions are not really appropriate for a Tolkien Group read, unless it's his translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

I read the Hobbit a couple of months ago, so I'm not quite ready for that one again.

I haven't read The Silmarillion for a while, so I'd like to do that one. Also, The Children of Húrin, as I haven't read that yet.

Brooke | 8 comments I think The Children of Hurin would be a good one to read.

Marta (martex21) | 6 comments I don't see the reason why Arthurian book wouldn't be appropiate. After all Tolkien was kind of an expert on legends.

I think I rathet incline to Tales from Perilous Realm.

*Kashi* | 3 comments "Children of Hurin". I got that one as a gift and haven't read it yet.
I could Re-Read the "Hobbit" that would give me an Excuse to use my collector's edition for the first time.

message 15: by Michael (last edited Jan 15, 2012 07:57AM) (new)

I think we have a problem starting a J.R.R. Tolkien Group Read in that there is no longer a Moderator for this group who can make a decision.

At the moment, I'm not able to take on the mantle - does anybody else fancy the role. If there are no takers in the next month or so, I might take it on.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd have no problem with it, but neither am I hungry for it.

The poll to determine how frequently we should do a Group Read was overwhelmingly for quarterly.

As we've got The Silmarillion starting March 2012, our next read after that will be in June and I will line something up shortly.

The idea of the Group Reads is to help those of us who need a little organising with our reading schedules and to stimulate an exchange of views, which is more likely to happen if a number of us are reading the same text at the same time. However, I certainly would not want the Group schedule to stifle discussion about any of the works, nor, obviously, stop anybody from reading and posting about a book they're enjoying (or not enjoying!).

So, it's coming soon and I hope you're geared up and ready to join in :-D

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2012 10:42AM) (new)

I'm using this forum as a jump-start for possible 2013 Tolkien reads. In my opinion, these may be written by JRR Tolkien, his son, or works that influenced Tolkien's writings. Here are my suggestions:

The Silmarillion (Start before The Hobbit)
Unfinished Tales of Numenor
The Children of Hurin
The Hobbit & LOTR
Tales from the Perilous Realm
Beowolf (I noticed a book on Beowolf and LOTR was written some years back but not sure if it's still available. This could be an optional book.)
Book of Lost Tales (should this be before Hobbit & LOTR?)

The Road to Middle Earth by Shippey could be a wonderful book to study and read. He knew Tolkien, I believe and has great insights into LOTR nuances.) This book isn't available on e-reader but I've contacted the publisher to get this going.

Thanks for your time and patience. Hope this helps.

Hi Donald - we did a Silmarillion Group Read last quarter - you can still join in the discussion in the Silmarillion folder.

The Hobbit is this quarter's Group Read, until the end of August, then the upcoming reads are The Children of Húrin for Autumn and LotR for Winter. Hopefully, you'll be able to join in with those "live" :-)

We'll have a poll for the following quarters' main reads in due course.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I realize that but was just commenting myself that it might be good to do it again in 2013. But thanks for the polling soon. I wasn't aware of that. I'll repost then.

Hyarrowen | 35 comments Michael wrote: "Hi Donald - we did a Silmarillion Group Read last quarter - you can still join in the discussion in the Silmarillion folder.

The Hobbit is this quarter's Group Read, until the end of August, then ..."

Speaking as a Southern Hemisphere reader - I get awfully confused when people talk in terms of seasons. I don't suppose we could always refer to months instead..?

Global awareness fail!

I will edit the thread headings a bit later. Thanks for reminding me that it's a small world, after all.

Hyarrowen | 35 comments Michael wrote: "Global awareness fail!

I will edit the thread headings a bit later. Thanks for reminding me that it's a small world, after all."

When I migrated, it took me ages to get used to the fact that the autumn of any year comes before the spring...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Three Damosels (other topics)
Arthurian Romances (other topics)
The Once and Future King (other topics)
The Silmarillion (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)