readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Horse books/authors for 2nd and 4th grade girls

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments My grandchildren are coming to visit for Thanksgiving and we enjoy reading picture books together and they like having a book to pick up and read on their own. I like to check out books for them, so any recommendations are good--even if they don't love the book, it will go back to the library anyway.

The biggest readers are girls in the 2nd and 4th grade and they like fun good books including books about horses.

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (versusthesiren) | 16 comments My first thought was the Pony Pals series, starting with this book: I Want a Pony

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Thanks Valerie!I'm going to the library today and will pick some of these up!

message 4: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1308 comments Mod
Black Beauty should be appropriate for that age, right?

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth | 6 comments The Phantom Stallion series, The Black Stallion series, Beauty, Black Beauty - I LOVED horse books when I was that age...

message 6: by Sparrow (last edited Nov 12, 2011 12:57PM) (new)

Sparrow (Sparrow27) | 194 comments Oh I loooooove Black Beauty and Black Stallion! And, I do think they are age-appropriate, right?

I think I love Black Stallion the best, but I re-read it more recently than Black Beauty, so it is difficult to say.

I can't think of others. Oh, I loved the Saddle Club when I was maybe more around the 4th grade age. It is like the Babysitter's Club, but with horses.

Are you looking for other types of books (not horse-related) for them?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Thanks for all of the recommendations so far! Yes, I am looking for other types of books too. Some picture books we could all read together, discuss, and laugh together would be great!

message 8: by Sparrow (new)

Sparrow (Sparrow27) | 194 comments Have you seen the Robert Sabuda books? I don't know if the library has them, and they are pop-ups, not picture books, but they are amazing!

Pirate Girl is really fun. And Olivia is my favorite. Olivia and the Missing Toy is the best. I also really like Chester's Way and the Leo Leoni books (Swimmy and Frederick are my favorites), but those are a little more heartwarming, morality stories than funny.

Also, Zen Shorts is really beautiful. Not so much on the hilarious side, though. That exhausts my knowledge of picture books, I think.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Marguerite Henry, every girl loves her. Has several books about horses, some mostly pictures.

Flip
Mr Revere and I
Smoky the Cowhorse
The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses andThe Gift of the Sacred Dog

If your library has them the Thelwell books are great. I'll second Black Stallion and Black Beauty. There is also Black Beauty's family which is good.

message 10: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling (wendydarling) | 20 comments This one's out of print, but I loved Mystery Horse when I was in elementary school (and I still have my copy today). It's set on an Indian reservation, where there are suddenly sightings of a ghost horse in the middle of the night!

It's fairly easy and inexpensive to obtain from Alibris, third-party Amazon retailers, etc.

message 11: by Shanshad (new)

Shanshad Whelan | 15 comments On the younger side is the old Billy And Blaze : A Boy And His Pony picture books. There are good chunks of text and I know my mother read them to us . . . but they may be more dated than I remember. The Mud Pony is a native American tale that might be worth a read. For older chapter books there is this book : I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jadeby Diane Lee Wilson The author has several other horse stories if that one works. Walter Farley has written a whole series about The Black Stallion, so there are plenty of books to mine from that author as well.

message 12: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1308 comments Mod
i hope some of these work out for your thanksgiving! let us know!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments Thanks for all of the ideas! I have put a hold on some of these and plan to look for more of them tomorrow! Some of these suggestions are books I remember reading and loving when younger!

message 14: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon (hellomynameisbook) | 33 comments 4th Grade was the best book time EVER, if I recall. That's the year I found Roald Dahl. Since everyone is going crazypants over horses in this thread (nice work, guys!), here are some non-horse related titles that I loved in the summer before I started 4th grade:

The Twits
George's Marvelous Medicine
Matilda
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume

message 15: by Rhiannon (last edited Nov 15, 2011 07:48AM) (new)

Rhiannon (hellomynameisbook) | 33 comments Oh, and all the Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary. (As well as The Mouse and the Motorcycle by the same author). I'll stop citing non-Horse related titles now. Good luck!

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 164 comments The older girl is probably ready for Perdita now, if she still likes horses.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I Want a Pony (other topics)
Black Beauty (other topics)
Horse Crazy (other topics)
Olivia and the Missing Toy (other topics)
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Sabuda (other topics)
Marguerite Henry (other topics)
Walter Farley (other topics)
Diane Lee Wilson (other topics)
Judy Blume (other topics)
More...