Fans of McNaught discussion

Judith McNaught
This topic is about Judith McNaught
Books similar to McNaught's!!!????

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Hi everyone, can you guys recommend books (or authors) that you find similar to Judith McNaught's?
BTW I am a huge Judith McNaught fan and I love angsty HRs!!

message 2: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 9 comments Lisa Kleypas - Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas and Sherry Thomas Private Arrangements by Sherry Thomas. I liked both of those and they are very angsty and passionate. I Google searched "If you like Judith McNaught," and some names came up, but I forget them already.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 28 comments I'll be honest I have not found an author that compares. There are some good ones out there Lk and ST among them but they still are missing something. Though Sherry Thomas really has some inventive stories. You may also want to try Eloisa James and Jennifer Ashley.

message 4: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Thanks Zumbagirl and Katherine!!! I'll check them out!!
I have read couple of LK's but somehow I couldn't relate to her books. And yes her stories are quite similar to JM's, though she couldn't write like one. Shame.
I love the theme of ST's Private Arrangements, but I am afraid there is some adultery issues in it.

message 5: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 9 comments Yeah, I don't like the adultery issue either. Another heartbreaking story is Tapestry by Karen Ranney, which has no adultery in it, just a big separation and other tragedies. HMMM...I loved Heartless (Georgian, #1) by Mary Balogh but it's not in print, but you may find it used on Amazon. I loved Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase - which may be my favorite book ever (no adultery).

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 28 comments Loretta Chase is one of my favorites also. If you like humor Julia Quinn is very good.

message 7: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 9 comments Katherine wrote: "Loretta Chase is one of my favorites also. If you like humor Julia Quinn is very good."

I like Julia Quinn too - but I only read one book of hers, The Duke And I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn. Is that your favorite one? I also have Eloisa James and Jennifer Ashley on my TBR list - in fact, I've been waiting for When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Happily Ever Afters, #2) by Eloisa James for over two months from my library. I'm going to just have to buy it!!!

message 8: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 28 comments Zumbagirl, I enjoyed all of the Bridgerton series. Was sorry when it was over. My favorite of the series was Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4) by Julia Quinn.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | 9 comments A few authors mentioned are on my TBR list. I own a Sherry Thomas & a Jennifer Ashley. Will have to get to them soon but I have always been disappointed no matter how hard I try, if I hear that an author is similar to McNaught. A new find for me is Loretta Chase though and I love what I've read of her-fave was Lord Perfect. I look forward to more by her. But Julia Quinn has been tried and I don't see any simiarlity. My fault. Was hugely disappointed in Eloisa James earlier this year when I tried her now forgotten title. I'll keep trying. I've tried Lisa Kleypas and hope to read more of her books. Not enough time.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 28 comments Eloisa James has a Duchess series I really liked. I have stopped trying to compare to JM. Nobody can write a story and capture such intense feelings as she can. I loved Lord Perfect also.

message 11: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 9 comments Nobody will be like your first love!! But I've learned to appreciate other writers - some of them have a strength in an area that McNaught was weak - for instance, most McNaughts have huge misunderstandings. I just don't like that

message 12: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Personally, I think the only writer who can pull off HR like JM is Meagan McKinney.
The Ground She Walks Upon by Meagan McKinney Lions and Lace by Meagan McKinney No Choice But Surrender by Meagan McKinney

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | 9 comments Now that is an author I haven't tried. I too try not to compare authors to McNaught. That isn't fair to anyone, obviously. What I do hope to find is the author who can get me involved and who can write Passion with a capital P. I think that the disappointing first books are my stumbling blocks. I probably picked the wrong Eloisa James for a first. It's all personal. I'll pick up a McKinney and set it on top of the J Ashley & S Thomas on my TBR list. I'm wrapping up a fantastic contemporary mystery by Kate Atkinson called Case Histories. Very good book, part of a series, with a dreamy kind of hero called Jackson Brodie. Love him and the story!

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill (jill123) | 1 comments While I can't say that all of Sandra Brown's books are similar to McNaught, I can say that Breath of Scandal by Sandra Brown I found to be similar to Judith McNaught. It's one of Brown's I would say is definitely worth reading.

message 15: by ♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ (last edited Nov 26, 2011 10:17AM) (new)

♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ (Haven) | 3 comments When Angels Fall is pretty good.

message 16: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Lori, same thing happened to me when I picked Eloisa James Your Wicked Ways (Duchess Quartet, #4) by Eloisa James for the first time. I don't know if it was the wrong book or just wrong author.

message 17: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Thanks Jill and Richa for the recommendation.
I have never read Sandra Brown, thought her books are more suspense type.
I have already read When Angels Fall, it was an OK read for me. But I always enjoy reading McKinney.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lee | 1 comments Read books by Kathryn Caskie....her historical romances are fun. Then there are also books by patricia grasso all about Russian princes in english society.

message 19: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments I'll give them a try,...thxs!!

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 1 comments You should try and read Julie Garwood, she has historical novels as well as contemporary. Judith McNaught and Julie Garwood are two of my favorite authors.

message 21: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments I've read abt five books of Julie Garwood's, unfortunately I am not a fan. Somehow I cannot relate to her books.

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (flame_2712) | 6 comments I have never found anything that close to Judith Mcnaught though a couple of Johanna Lindsey's books come close. For example, A Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey and Secret Fire by Johanna Lindsey.

JM's books are the benchmark for almost everything. Which is crazy difficult to reach.

message 23: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Hi Flame, I do like Johanna Lindsey too, haven't read the pirate one, definitely gonna give it a try.

message 24: by Sandcastles (new)

Sandcastles | 1 comments You could try Amanda Quick's Scandal and Mistress. There is humor...although not laugh-out-loud sort more like JM's witty sort and the Men are sophisticated and have an omnipresence. Also Teresa Mediros Yours until dawn and the Devil wears Plaid have headstrong witty heroins. The Firebrand by Susan wings has an untraditional Suffragist heroine. It was definately an interesting read.

message 25: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 6 comments Hi everyone,
I'm a longtime fan of Judith McNaught. Have had to replace a couple of books because after so many readings, they fell apart! Anyway, I"m also a new indie author and have just released a contemporary romance/novel with romantic elements called Unexpected Legacy. Would love for you to check it out. I have an Amazon and Goodreads author page. I can't claim it's just like JM, but it appeals to me, and I love JM books! It's hard to find books like hers these days because today authors are told that readers want a quicker read. Everything has to start out with a big bang -- and inciting incident with waaaaay less backstory than JM starts with. *Sigh. Makes it a little harder to get to know and love the characters, I think.
Anyway, hope you'll check out my novel, and author pages.
Happy Reading!!
-darlene deluca

message 26: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 2 comments Being wrote: "Hi everyone, can you guys recommend books (or authors) that you find similar to Judith McNaught's?
BTW I am a huge Judith McNaught fan and I love angsty HRs!!"

message 27: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 2 comments Funny you should ask, I've gone crazy looking and reading for authors and books that had the same effect as Judith McNaught books, which btw, I have read and reread many times. Recently I came upon a book by Elizabeth Hoyt, within days I have downloaded 3 more books by her, I could not put down the books,they are funny, sexual, and made me cry, but all had a romantic ending. Her writing is very romantic that I would reread the sentences or paragraphs because I thought they were so special. Check out the reviews and pick a book by her.

message 28: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Thanks sandcastles and nadia...i'll check them out.

message 29: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments Try reading Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips its quite good... intense and passionate

message 30: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments Try reading Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.. its qiute good if you are into contemporary romance by Mcnaught... intense and passionate..

message 31: by Being (new)

Being Human | 11 comments Sunglow wrote: "Try reading Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.. its qiute good if you are into contemporary romance by Mcnaught... intense and passionate.."

Oh i do love contemporary romance by Judith McNaught!!
Haven't read this author before...liked the book's review...thanks...

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Larson | 6 comments Blue Willow by Debra Smith and Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts have that intense emotional draw that is similar to JM.

message 33: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments After a long time i came across a really ice book... try reading In Bed With the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1) by Lorraine Heath... Loved the romance between christine and the devil earl... :)

message 34: by Gigi (new)

Gigi | 2 comments Check out Jennifer McNare. I have read everything she has written to date and her books are very close to McNaught.

message 35: by Lele (new)

Lele (Lele_Sant) | 3 comments I love JM's books too! try Jude Deveraux :) Jude actually thanked JM for helping her "McNaughtize" her book Sweet Liar (Taggert, #3) by Jude Deveraux .. My favorite book of hers is A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery, #16) by Jude Deveraux

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | 9 comments Lele wrote: "I love JM's books too! try Jude Deveraux :) Jude actually thanked JM for helping her "McNaughtize" her book Sweet Liar (Taggert, #3) by Jude Deveraux .. My favorite book of hers is Paradise (Second Opportunities, #1) by Judith McNaughtParadise (Second Opportunities, #1) by Judith McNaught & Sweet LiarSweet Liar (Taggert, #3) by Jude Deveraux. I read them both when they were brand new and fell totally in love. What was so wonderful is that both authors had a large batch of older books to catch up with. I think that was my favorite reading year or 2. I read all of Jude Deveraux's books and all of Judith McNaught's work. I have been trying to recreate those good times ever since and have had no luck.

message 37: by Janeice (new)

Janeice Raiche | 2 comments You might want to try, "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers.

message 38: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 1 comments I am new to this but it wanted to comment. I love JM. I have read and retread all her books multiple times. Except Tender Triumph LOL. Once was enough for that book. However, Whitney My Love and Paradise have literally fallen apart from being read so many times. With all that being said my favourite all time book is Ashes in the Wind by Kathleen E Woodiwiss. Not every book by Ms. Woodiwiss is great but there are a few that are stellar and this one is the best one of all!

message 39: by Lovetoread (new)

Lovetoread | 5 comments My favorite romance authors are Judith McNaught and Kathleen E. Woodiwiss. My favorite of Ms. Woodiwiss is A Rose in Winter with Wolf and the Dove a close second. Of course my first romance novel read will always be close to my heart her Flame and the Flower. I love all of Ms. McNaughts novels but my favorites are Whitney My Love, a Kingdom of Dreams and Until You. Close second Paradise, Perfect and Almost Heaven.

message 40: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (goodreadscomPat_Fory) | 5 comments Thank you, Gigi, for the recommendation to read Jennifer McNare. Read the reviews from various sites and looks like she might be worth a read. I love Jennifer McNaught and am always searching for a reasonable replica. Also have read almost everything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and many of her works are very similar to McNaught in tone and emotion.

message 41: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments Gigi wrote: "Check out Jennifer McNare. I have read everything she has written to date and her books are very close to McNaught."
Thanks Gigi... I read Until you by Jinnefer Mcnare and yes it really came close to Mcnaught's books... looking forward to reading more of her books...

message 42: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments Check out Julia London... Her books are quite good...

message 43: by Annette (new)

Annette (annettena) | 6 comments Have you tried Mary Balogh? She is an excellent author and her characters are generally people you will love.

message 44: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Walker | 22 comments I am wondering why no one has ever mention Julie Garwood, Jude Deveraux nor Johanna Lindsey they all have their own HR style and what I have learned is not to compare them to JMcN! But these ladies are great especially Garwood and Deveraux.....Johanna Lindsey is the one who started me on HR novels then I was introduced to JMcN check these ladies out you will find that you will read their novels over and over too.

message 45: by Sunglow (new)

Sunglow | 6 comments Try reading Jennifer McNare She is a new author and i enjoyed reading her tremendously. My personal favorite by her would be Dreaming of you.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Larson | 6 comments I just read the Duchess Hunt by Jennifer Haymore and it is the first 5 star rating I have given in a long time. I save my 5 stars for anything that comes close to Mcnaught as that is my standard for enjoying romantic fiction. I loved the Duchess Hunt but was then disappointented in the sequel The Rogues Proposal, although it had 5 star potential in the story, the author took on a fifty shades type of sex descriptions that turned me off to the story. Check out the Dutchess Hunt though.

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackieolivia) | 10 comments Will try Duchess Hunt. Sounds good. I'd recommend Lynsay Sands' The Key, and The Deed I found them hilarious. Donna Fletcher The Daring twin, A Rogue of my own… Johanna Lindsey, Sabrina Jerfferies, Karen Hawkins,Lisa Kleypas…. If you want romance and a good laugh you have to read the key….its a riot :)

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Larson | 6 comments I will look that up. Thanks

message 49: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackieolivia) | 10 comments Karen wrote: "I will look that up. Thanks"

Just finished Duchess Hunt..Loved it. It was so different .. thanks for the recommendation :)

message 50: by Janeice (new)

Janeice Raiche | 2 comments Try Francine Rivers, "Redeeming Love".

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Private Arrangements (other topics)
Again the Magic (other topics)
Heartless (other topics)
Lord of Scoundrels (other topics)
Tapestry (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julia London (other topics)
Jennifer McNare (other topics)