CanLit Challenge discussion

General Discussion > This book deserves to be on the Challenge shelf

Comments (showing 1-6)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Rida wrote: "How about The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery?"

I'm still thinking about it. Canonical author, but is it a canonical book? It's one of her less well-known works. Then again, it may be a good example of the early feminist stream in Canadian literature. Anyone else have any thoughts?

message 5: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
@Amer
The Stone Diaries is on the shelf, as is The Diviners (though they are "to read" and have no discussion threads yet). I've just added Obasan at your suggestion.

@Rida
I will consider adding the other Anne books. I'm afraid Endymion Spring is too new to qualify for Challenge status, but perhaps you could nominate it for a Book of the Month read.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 10 comments My suggested additions to our CanLit bookshelf:

The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

I know there is lots of Margaret Lawrence, but my fave is The Diviners

and finally: Obasan by Joy Kogawa about the Japanese internment experience here in Canada during WW2.

message 3: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
Hi guys. Sorry for my late reply. We've had family visiting for a week and I've been pretty much offline the whole time.

@Rida Just the first book of the Anne series is on the list. I read it (re-read it, actually) the summer of 2008, the centennial anniversary year. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5... Do you think the rest of the series deserves to be included--or just some of them?

The Blind Assassin is also already on the list/shelf. Here's the discussion thread http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

Feel free to nominate Anne or The Blind Assassin for a book of the month any time I open up nominations.

@Amer The basis of the list is the New Canadian Library imprint from McClelland and Stewart. To that I've added works by other authors and some works by NCL authors not in the imprint that I think ought to be considered part of the Canadian canon. I figured that once I'm done reading those (and any other additions made in the meantime), I'll add, for example, 20th century GG award winners, worthy books or authors that were missed for whatever reason, any Francophone classics that have been translated into English that aren't already on the list etc. I have a few reference books on CanLit, so I'll go exploring there once I'm done the list I have already. But, as I say, if you have some work that meets the criteria and isn't on the shelf already, please nominate it here.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 10 comments The list you have compiled is great, no complaints, but I'm just curious where you got it from? Was it pre-existing or have you done all the leg-work for it?

And I would second the motion to add Anne.

message 1: by Ibis3 (new)

Ibis3 | 322 comments Mod
I've now added all the books from my original list to the group bookshelf "Canlit Challenge". If you think I've missed a book that should be included on the shelf (and there are definitely books that I've missed), here's the thread to make your case. Please keep in mind that this is supposed to be a collection of the Canadian canon, and books take a bit of time to qualify. I believe the latest book on the shelf was published in 2002, and that seems like a good cut-off to me. If the book you want to include is from the last decade, it won't be eligible for consideration. French books (that have been translated in English) are eligible, as are non-fiction books and plays, and kids' books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Stone Diaries (other topics)
The Diviners (other topics)
Obasan (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Carol Shields (other topics)
Joy Kogawa (other topics)