Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Group Reads > 2012 Group Reads and Discussions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Dec 06, 2012 01:06AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 8464 comments Mod
We are going to conduct group reads for 2012 in a similar fashion as for 2011, soliciting member volunteers to coordinate the group discussion each month. Of course, we are open to suggestions!

Group Read Coordinator Guidelines
1. Please start a thread for nominating the group read at least the first week of the month before the group read. The coordinator has the freedom to choose a theme, but try to pick something different than the other themes used for the year. You may use the list of dangerous hero types or some other dangerous hero-related theme.
2. Try to get the poll up for voting for group reads by the 10th of the month at the latest. Try to have the vote concluded at least by the 20th of the month to give members time to find a copy of the book.
3. Notify members on which book won the poll in your nomination thread.
4. Start the discussion thread at or around the 1st of the month (please mark it for spoilers in the thread title). You may post discussion questions or coordinate the discussion in any way you wish.
5. If there is a reason you cannot coordinate a group read the month you signed up for, please let a moderator know as soon as possible, so we can get it reassigned.
6. When you are coordinating the monthly group read, please keep the group read nomination/selection guidelines in mind. As the coordinator of the monthly read, you have the authority to decline book nominations that are not in keeping with these guidelines. This does not need the approval of a moderator. If you have questions, don't be afraid to consult with a moderator.

If you're interested in coordinating a group read for a month, please let me know and I'll add you to this list:

January: Rachel
February: Danielle
March: Rachel
April: Megan
May: Danielle
June: Katya
July: Danielle
August: Danielle
September: Megan
October: Danielle
November: Danielle
December: Jillian

Themes Used for Group Reads:

January: Byronic Hero
February: Heartbreaker/Womanizer
March: Fun-Loving Dangerous Hero
April: Biker/Athlete
May: An Honorable Man
June: Tortured Hero
July: Larger than Life Hero
August: Dark Hero
September: YA Dangerous Hero
October: Something Scary
November: Clean Up Month
December: Second Chance Romance

Thanks for your participation!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 8464 comments Mod
Is anyone interested in coordinating the January book discussion?

*crickets chirping*

Anyone????.....

~Megan~ (Megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Haha Danielle! I'm always here as a backup if nobody steps up.

Rachel | 217 comments Well, I've never done one before but I'd be up for trying. Will people kill me if I suck at it? lol

message 5: by ~Megan~ (last edited Dec 02, 2011 05:42AM) (new)

No way Rachel....it's way easier than you think! Really the only hard part is picking a category for the month.

Rachel, this is a really soft crowd. No worries. If you're cool with doing January, I'll sign you up. You might want to go ahead and start a thread to ask for nominations. Let me know if you need help.

Thanks for having my back, Megan!

message 7: by Katya (last edited Dec 03, 2011 06:38PM) (new)

Katya | 286 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Is anyone interested in coordinating the January book discussion?

*crickets chirping*

Anyone????....."

Lady Danielle you are funny!

Can anyone volunteer? If so, I am not sure what I would need to do, but some time June-on might be okay for me...if you need me and as long as you are willing to explain it to me....I read up on top but may have some questions.

Just let me know when you have an idea of a month for the summer, Katya.

It's mainly just setting up the nomination thread, the poll, and the thread for the book discussion.

Katya | 286 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Just let me know when you have an idea of a month for the summer, Katya.

It's mainly just setting up the nomination thread, the poll, and the thread for the book discussion."

Quite honestly....I have more time June-November....so what ever you need to plug in after others volunteer is fine for me.

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Dec 03, 2011 09:57PM) (new)

Rachel | 217 comments Okay, perfect then I will try! Yes, I will probably need help. lol I think for setting up the poll since I've never done that before. :D

ETA: I was thinking of this theme: The Byronic Hero. Defined by Mr. Wiki as arrogant, cunning, jaded, self destructive, disrespectful of rank and privilege. Does that sound too general?

I love that theme, Rachel!

Rachel | 217 comments Thank you, Megan! Okay, I'll start the thread for noms! :D

Sounds good, Rachel. The poll function is pretty user-friendly. Click on the polls tab on the right upper part of the screen on the group. There is a tab called create a poll. The poll screen walks you through it, but let me know if you have trouble.

Rachel | 217 comments Thanks Lady Danielle!

Thanks for volunteering!

Rachel | 217 comments Eeeek. So we haven't received many suggestions for January. I'm going to bump up the thread but maybe I should open the theme up to general dangerous heroes?

Don't worry too much, Rachel. We don't usually get a lot of suggestions some months. I am going to post an announcement about going to nominate books on the group thread, and maybe you can make some book suggestions to get things started.

Rachel | 217 comments Okay, whew! I was worried. :)

Rachel | 217 comments Okay, I set up the poll. I hope I did it right! :D

Anyone interested in coordinating the February read? Thanks to Rachel for being our first volunteer. I know Megan also volunteered, but please feel free to put your name in the hat if you're interested!

Katya | 286 comments Okay...I will do June.....and I think I would like to do the Tortured Hero theme for June. Does that sound okay?

Found this about the allure of Tortured Heroes on this website: http://www.samhainpublishing.com/2011...

"But what is the allure of a tortured man? Why do so many romance readers delight in the suffering of the brooding hero? It seems incredibly mean-spirited to enjoy the mental or physical pain of the man the reader is asked to fall in love with. The darker his angst, the better. Why?

First, the hero's pain engages the readers emotions, and romance books are all about emotion. When I meet that hero with the dark wounded soul, my initial reaction is not sadistic delight in his pain, but rather a sympathetic ache, a burning desire to help, to heal, and to ease his suffering. While there is nothing I, the reader, can do for this poor hurting man, I put my faith in the love of the heroine to rescue the hero from his pit of despair.

Secondly, the hero's inner pain also adds another layer of conflict to the story. More conflict usually translates to more emotion for the reader, a bigger stake in the outcome of the romance. Not only must the heroine resolve the external conflict she faces to reach her goal, but in order to find true love, she must help the hero find resolution and peace from his inner demons. This theme of redemption resounds with us because we all have, to some extent, past sins, past pain and lingering heartache from which we want to be freed.

A tortured hero does have an element of danger about him. What dark secret is he hiding? What is at the root of his pain, and will his pain suck the heroine in and ruin her as well? Danger has a titillating allure that stirs our adrenaline.

Plus, brooding men are sexy. How many cologne and underwear ads have you seen where the male model is practically snarling at the camera? Plenty.

The tortured hero takes this serious brooding to an extreme, and when the heroine manages to break through the tortured hero's pain and protective walls to find the charming prince that lies beneath, she claims the best of both worlds. Tough and tender. Macho alpha outside with a gooey marshmallow center. No wonder a romantic's heart flutters for the tortured hero!

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Jan 03, 2012 11:20AM) (new)

I'll put you down for June for the Tortured Hero theme, Katya. Thanks!

PS: They capture the allure of a tortured hero well.

I'll go ahead and do the February group read.

message 25: by Rachel (last edited Jan 04, 2012 05:31AM) (new)

Rachel | 217 comments Lady D, I can do March. :) I can do more than that too. :)

Thanks, Rachel! I'll sign you up.

I'll take April, Danielle!

Cool. Thanks, Megan.

Rachel | 217 comments Hey Guys, I'll post the new 3/12 thread either today or tomorrow. :)

That sounds good to me, Rachel. Thanks!

Rachel | 217 comments Guys, I kind of wanted to do the opposite of a tortured hero, such as a dangerous hero who is kind of funny & loves being bad. Sort of like the "cocky" hero. lol I'm just not sure how to word that. Any suggestions?

Happy-Go-Lucky/Fun-loving Dangerous Hero?

Rachel | 217 comments Thanks, Lady D!

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Mar 26, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Hey girls. I just wanted to feel you out for ground rules for suggestions for the group reads.

While I don't want to censor this group or be restrictive with the subject matter, I don't want to give the suggestion that this is an erotic/fetish or kink group. There is nothing wrong with that if people want to pursue it, but that isn't the goal of this group. It is general audience (with a spectrum of readers of different tastes), so I am personally not for having group reads that are pure erotica. Note that this group is not restricted to 18 or over. I think it's okay for the books to be on the hot side of romance, though. However, if we do have some books that tend towards hot, we probably need to make sure that they are labeled as hot/erotic so that readers are aware before stepping into those waters, if that is not their comfort zone.

Any thoughts on this or other things we need to consider with the group reads?

I would like to write up some general guidelines that any members who participate in voting and nominating for books are aware of, so I appreciate your feedback.

*Cross-posted under Moderator Thread*

Jill | 289 comments Thats fine with me, I am happy to read both kinds, but understand there are people out there that are not.
Maybe if you mention that it would be an 18+ book, or mention the themes that are involved in the book, or that its racy and not for the faint hearted. Then people can decide for them self.
Or do you mean in the nominating part??

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Mar 27, 2012 12:31AM) (new)

Jill, we are talking about the nomination process. This is a philosophical issue for me. Dangerous Heroes don't need to be considered erotica by nature, and we don't want to give that impression by intent or by action. While some readers are more adventurous, some are not. I think it's a good idea to keep things at a certain level for this group. If members want to explore certain themes on the erotic end of the spectrum, there are plenty of groups for that. If you look below, there are the guidelines that will address part of your question.

Group Read Selection/Nomination Guidelines (Draft)

1. Note that this is a general audience group, with no age restriction (not designated as 18 or older). We need to keep that in mind when books are nominated for group reads. Dangerous Heroes shouldn’t and doesn’t mean kinky/erotic/fetish by nature. Nothing wrong with those things if you are interested, but there are specific groups on Goodreads that cater to those tastes. This is a broad-spectrum group for all lovers of dangerous heroes, primarily in romance novels, although we sometimes step outside of that genre to action/adventure, classics, science fiction, fantasy, and urban fantasy. As such, any books nominated for the group reads should not be overtly erotic in nature. In other words, if the book has X-rated content, it’s not eligible for a group read. G to R rated books are eligible. NC-17 books will be taken on a case by case basis by the moderators. If X-Rated or books deemed not suitable in content are nominated, the group read coordinator and/or any moderator reserves the right to disqualify the book for the poll. If you’re not sure, feel free to ask. If a book is on the hot side of the sensuality rating, this should be noted in the nomination thread and in the headline for the group read, just as a warning to any readers who may not be comfortable with certain heat levels and subject matter so they can steer clear.

Also keep in mind, that although we do accept that dangerous heroes can indulge in edgy behavior, we want to be careful about selecting books for the group reads that show demeaning, abusive, humiliating, misogynistic, racist, or otherwise overtly offensive behavior by the main characters. We realize that this can sometimes be an eye of the beholder thing. As such, we will ask the members to keep this in mind when making suggestions for the group reads.

2. For the monthly group read nomination, the person coordinating the theme will typically choose the theme. Books nominated should at least in general reflect the thematic nature for the selected group read topic. If there is an issue, the coordinator reserves the right to decline the book, and the member is welcome to make an alternative suggestion. Books that have already been selected as group reads in prior months are also ineligible. Those threads remain open so members are free to drop in and comment at any time. This is mainly a romance book group, so most of the monthly reads will be for romance books. If the coordinator for some reason chooses a theme that is not restricted to the romance genre, they will make that clear in the monthly nomination thread.

3. At this time, there is no restriction on selecting a book out of sequence in a series, but this should be made obvious, and hopefully those who make the nomination will chose books that can be read out of sequence.

4. Any group member can nominate a book, with the above guidelines taken into consideration. Any group member is free to vote on a group read poll. Your vote will only count once. You may change your vote prior to the expiration date of the poll. If a book you don't want to read gets nominated, you are not obligated to participate in the discussion just because you voted.

5. If at any time, you have questions about the group read process, feel free to ask. You may ask on the group reads thread or via private message to a moderator or group read coordinator.

Jill | 289 comments oops this is probably my fault because i nominated the book that is this months read. Feel free to remove it if you want, some of the other ones were just as good:)

Jill, we aren't pointing fingers here. While I would consider Jaci Burton too erotic for my tastes, I think that it is probably okay for this group overall.

I do think we should make it clear in the group read thread that it does have erotic content though.

Jill | 289 comments I agree, there is nothing worse, than reading a book happily then being shocked with content your not comfortable with.

I was thinking the same thing, Danielle! I've read the book before, and it was way too much for me.

Jill wrote: "I agree, there is nothing worse, than reading a book happily then being shocked with content your not comfortable with."

Yeah, that's my biggest issue. I don't want people to read a group read and run off screaming from this group, thinking that reflects the overall theme of the group.

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Mar 27, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

~Megan~ wrote: "I was thinking the same thing, Danielle! I've read the book before, and it was way too much for me."

Megan, I think it's fine to say that in the nomination thread. Let the group members have enough info to make a decision going in.

Okay, we have had the majority of mods go over the guidelines, so they have been adopted. Please take a look at these if you sign up to coordinate a group read. I have enclosed a link to the guidelines above in post #1 under line #6.

I guess I will go ahead and get the May nominations process going.

Katya | 286 comments Okay I created a poll and I see it there but am not sure I did it right. Can someone who knows what they are doing check to see if it is correct? Do we notify the members that the poll is up or ????? Sorry, I am new to this.

Your poll looks good, Katya. The one thing I did was I made it featured so it would show up on the group page. I usually will post a link to the poll in the group thread. We don't send out reminder messages because we don't want to annoy members. Those who are interested, can check the nomination thread. Does that answer your question?

Katya | 286 comments Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Your poll looks good, Katya. The one thing I did was I made it featured so it would show up on the group page. I usually will post a link to the poll in the group thread. We don't send out remind..."

Yes thank you....Not sure how you did that....make it featured and everything but that was fantastic! Thanks.

Thanks for doing the June book discussion, Katya!

Katya | 286 comments You are welcome LD....I am so afraid I forgot something or am not doing something I should. Please send a message to me and let me know. I don't want to let anyone down.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread