Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Book Discussions > Inheritance

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Xdyj | 417 comments Discuss Inheritance here.

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments I made the mistake of ordering mine online....I'm still waiting ;(

message 3: by Nick (last edited Nov 10, 2011 03:53PM) (new)

Nick | 2 comments It was great but the ending was a little sad in my opinion. hope he writes more on how Earagon and Saphira rebuilds the Riders. probally won't though :(

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments Nick wrote: "It was great but the ending was a little sad in my opinion. hope he writes more on how Earagon and Saphira rebuilds the Riders. probally won't though :("

so, you've read the newest one already?

Dkiras | 10 comments I got mine yesterday... T.T but i cant read it yet because i`m reading 2 other books.

Nick | 2 comments yep finished it 2 days ago

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments Mine just arrived in the mail today :) I let my 7 year old hold it, she didn't expect it to be so heavy. Her eyes were as wide as saucers and she struggled to hold it up! Now that's a real book.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 17 comments Caren wrote: "Mine just arrived in the mail today :) I let my 7 year old hold it, she didn't expect it to be so heavy. Her eyes were as wide as saucers and she struggled to hold it up! Now that's a real book."

I just weighted the book earlier tonight, and its was 2 and 1/2 pounds.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 17 comments This book was better than I thought it was going to be.

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments I think I will need to read the Brisngr again before I start this. Also, am reading a book to review it, so will finish that first.

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments I agree! I should have reread the last one before I started this one. I have forgotten a lot of what happened, which has made reading it slow. I'm only on page 117!

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Did the "History of Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr" section help a bit Caren?

Gage (GMarchini) I loved the series. It was amazing.

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments Ritesh wrote: "Did the "History of Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr" section help a bit Caren?"

Yes it did. But I found the first chapter a bit 'odd', or rather an odd place to start.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 17 comments I finished the book last night. I thought it was better than the last two books plus Christopher has come along way since Eragon, it really shows in this book.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I just couldn't get into it, which was sad. I really wish it was something I had enjoyed reading. Maybe I'll try reading it again :)

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Alexandra,
Are you talking about this book or the series?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ritesh wrote: "Alexandra,
Are you talking about this book or the series?"

The series in general, sorry. I read through a bit of Eragon and Eldest, but I just couldn't seem to get into them. I really love the covers and the idea, so like I said, maybe I'll try reading again.

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Well, it has been 3 years since the release of Brisingr, and I'm afraid my tastes might have changed enough for me to not like this book.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Ritesh wrote: "Well, it has been 3 years since the release of Brisingr, and I'm afraid my tastes might have changed enough for me to not like this book."

It is a bit long to wait for the release of a book. But, as an author, I understand. Sometimes it just takes a while to finish writing a novel. However, I can understand your tastes changing. I definitely like different books than I did a few years ago.

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments But of course, I'll give it a try. Seems daunting, especially since I have a number of books I really want to read on my 'to read' list ...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Ritesh wrote: "But of course, I'll give it a try. Seems daunting, especially since I have a number of books I really want to read on my 'to read' list ..."

True, it is a pretty long book. But long books are good, especially when they grab your interest. :)

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Alexandra wrote: "Ritesh wrote: "But of course, I'll give it a try. Seems daunting, especially since I have a number of books I really want to read on my 'to read' list ..."

True, it is a pretty long book. But long..."

Are you implying that I won't regret picking it up and skipping all those other books? ;)

I sure hope I don't, coz its getting more and more tempting, as I see people finishing this book.

Xdyj | 417 comments I just started Brisingr:)

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments Nick wrote: "It was great but the ending was a little sad in my opinion. hope he writes more on how Earagon and Saphira rebuilds the Riders. probally won't though :("

I'm about halfway through the book. I can only assume someone's going to die, or several people. Gotta say I love Angela and the werecats. I think my cat might be in their ranks.

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Caren wrote: "Nick wrote: "It was great but the ending was a little sad in my opinion. hope he writes more on how Earagon and Saphira rebuilds the Riders. probally won't though :("

I'm about halfway through the..."

Considering it is the last book in the series, if people (oh, i mean bad people) did not die, how would the story end?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ritesh wrote: "Caren wrote: "Nick wrote: "It was great but the ending was a little sad in my opinion. hope he writes more on how Earagon and Saphira rebuilds the Riders. probally won't though :("

I'm about halfw..."

It could be one of those books that leaves you hanging to think up your own ending. But, I hope not. That would be awful for the fans. :(

Ritesh (rkala) | 28 comments Alexandra wrote: "It could be one of those books that leaves you hanging to think up your own ending. But, I hope not. That would be awful for the fans. :(..."

If that is the case, I think the fans would have trashed this novel by now. It is like cancelling a TV program midway through a season.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Ritesh wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "It could be one of those books that leaves you hanging to think up your own ending. But, I hope not. That would be awful for the fans. :(..."

If that is the case, I think the fan..."

I agree. I can't imagine him doing that, anyway. I'm sure that everything will end well with the "good guys" winning.

Steven (smyoung1) | 4 comments Where to start? The Inheritance cycle is now over, after a very long wait. Was the last book all that I had hoped? Yes...and no. Was it a good book, yes...and maybe some fixes. I think it is very apparent that Christopher Paolini is a young writer. Comparing this book to other fantasy, novels, Lord of Rings, Wheel of Time, of course it falls short. But maybe it isn't suppose to be that deep. The book does deliver what all books are suppose to, page turning action and plot. Though it lacks on character development and a complex plot. Throughout the book, the plot has been very simple and start forward from the very beginning, kill Galbatorix. I was hardly ever truly surprised by anything that happened in the story. I believe this is also true for the characters as well. There is very little character development from the beginning of the series to the end. I would have loved to see Eragon grow up, the reader gets a glimpse of this when Eragon gets the Eldunari's from the vault of souls and learns his true name. When he returns to the war he is different, he feels older and wiser, finally! Why couldn't this had happened earlier, I would have liked an entire book of an older wising Eragon. Also the relationship between Eragon and Arya was somewhat of a disappointment, again it wasn't tell the very end of the book do they have some sort of real relationship. I believe the book would have been better if the two would have gotten married. It almost feels as if Paolini is playing with reader, as saying just maybe...and nope got ya! To me the relationship is still weird, awkward and, unfinished. And even the character Arya remains the same throughout all the books. Always focused on duty and nothing else. I want more complexity in her character, a sign of weakness would be nice.
Another problem I had with the Inheritance series is the power of magic. Yes, even the characters in book see this as an issue as well. Magic is TOO powerful. Spell-casters are able to create a spell for nearly anything. A spell could be made to stop a horse and make the horse dance and then fed its rider and then die. The ancient language spells were too detailed and left little room for anything to happen outside of the spell cast. A reason why I liked the character Ron so much. No magic.
I have to also say the end of the book dragged on forever! The reader already knew what was going to happen after Eragon said he was going to leave. But after he said that, its almost another 100 hundred pages of nothingness. A feast here, a random thing here, as Eragon repeats the same song over and over again. "Im leaving" Those last nearly one hundred pages could have been used to fill in more gaps and to come to more of a complete ending!
All and all it was a good fantasy novel. Though it does lack behind the more well known names, (Harry Potter, Lord of Rings, etc..). I would very much enjoy a book written...fifty years or maybe even hundred years after the end of this fourth book. I need more completion personally. In the end I came to enjoy Ron more than any other character. He felt more real, more down to earth. Just a warrior fighting for his family, no magic, just start guts and heart. He was more complex than the other characters and I saw more of a character development with him from the beginning of the book to the end. He was an enjoy character and I believe he is one of the characters I actually agree with his ending.
Read...yes. I a good fantasy book for you youngsters. It gets a first time fantasy readers feet wet and ready for what the great world of fantasy has to offer.

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments LOVED IT! I was slightly disapointed none of the main charc. died. I expected someone to die. It was well worth the week it took me to read it!

message 32: by Xdyj (last edited Nov 22, 2011 10:37PM) (new)

Xdyj | 417 comments I agree with most of the stuff Steven said but I'm not exactly a fan of the high fantasy genre so maybe I'm judging it too harshly. On the other hand, I would not complain about Eragon growing up too slowly or Eragon/Arya relationship doesn't have a clear resolution and I think Arya does have her more emotional moments.

The whole series is a page turner to me which I like very much, and I do think the author's writing quality has improved a lot since the first book, though in my opinion he writes better action sequence than dialogues and thoughts(especially angst). There are quite a few instances when he seems to be about to acknowledge some of the issues of "standard fantasy setting" e.g. lack of social changes & scientific/technological developments but most of them dropped almost immediately. As to the "magic being too powerful", I think it's settled almost right from the beginning when the standard form of warfare is introduced that in this setting everyone except for a handful of main characters are supposed to be cannon fodders for protagonists to angst over anyway. As to the characters, my favorite is probably Angela.

Caren (carenksr) | 19 comments I searched the web this week there are some really bad reviews of this book!

Xdyj | 417 comments IMO as long as a book is popular enough it will have a certain amount of bad reviews, because no one can please everyone all the time:)

Sabine Reed (sabineareed) | 5 comments Loved Inheritance and the whole series. It was a great set of books...and I loved that it was so long.

message 36: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 515 comments Xdyj wrote: "IMO as long as a book is popular enough it will have a certain amount of bad reviews, because no one can please everyone all the time:)"

I'd be worried if there were not a lot of bad reviews. A lot of the time people simply look for ways of expressing jealousy through hate or so forth. When a book is popular some people go: why is it popular, it must be bad or why is this book not popular instead etc.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Xdyj wrote: "IMO as long as a book is popular enough it will have a certain amount of bad reviews, because no one can please everyone all the time:)"

I'd be worried if there were not a lot of bad ..."

This does happen, unfortunately. I also think the time that everyone had to wait for this book might have made some people angry.

Marx Leo | 1 comments Just got done reading it.. I can't believe it's over. wahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

the ending was sad! And none of the main characters died!? The ending was less than satisfactory.. I wanted it to be EPIC.. it should have been epic. oh well, I still love the series!!

Dkiras | 10 comments T.T

I just finished reading it. Seriously it was an amazing, EPIC book but the ending left me wishing for more.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inheritance (other topics)