European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Catherine the Great - Overall

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Please discuss Catherine the Great, Portrait of a Woman here. If you (and others) are here, you (and they) have finished the book. Please feel free to discuss any aspect of the plot without worry regarding spoilers.
Also, please let the group know how you rated the book.

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Nov 25, 2011 04:15AM) (new)

Chrissie I just finished the book, and I am terribly happy I read it. There were points where I struggled, but this was only because my own knowledge was lacking. Here is my reveiew:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

I think the book is very well written. I have come to highly admire this woman ....and understand her faults.

Grizel (grizelsandilands) | 2 comments This is only tangentially related, but if anyone lives in Toronto the Gardiner Museum has an exhibition called `The Tsar's Cabinet' (subtitled `the luxury and romance of the Romanovs') which is showing the royal family's knicknacks (Faberge' eggs and that kind of thing.)

Sara W (SaraWEsq) | 2131 comments Grizel wrote: "This is only tangentially related, but if anyone lives in Toronto the Gardiner Museum has an exhibition called `The Tsar's Cabinet' (subtitled `the luxury and romance of the Romanovs') which is sho..."

Oh wow, this would be amazing to see (especially the eggs)! I went to an exhibit a couple of years ago about Henry VIII (at some sort of book/ literature/ writing museum - can't remember the exact focus) which had books and letters from him and his parents and his wives - it REALLY brought them to life for me realizing that they actually held those things in their hands. I would imagine the knicknacks would be even more powerful since they seem more personal.

Therissa | 5 comments Grizel wrote: "This is only tangentially related, but if anyone lives in Toronto the Gardiner Museum has an exhibition called `The Tsar's Cabinet' (subtitled `the luxury and romance of the Romanovs') which is sho..."

I would love to see that. Toronto is only four hours from me, sounds like it would be worth it

Donna | 11 comments If this is anything like the exhibit that was around about 10 years ago or so with personal mementos, jewelery, clothing, toys, paintings etc from Nicholas and Alexandra, it would be worth it. I went from outside Allentown, PA to Wilmington, DE to see it and would do it again. It was amazing and so poignant. Really brings what you read to life.

Mary | 33 comments Donna wrote: "If this is anything like the exhibit that was around about 10 years ago or so with personal mementos, jewelery, clothing, toys, paintings etc from Nicholas and Alexandra, it would be worth it. I we..."

I went to that exhibit in Wilmington Delaware too. The Faberge eggs were so unbelievably beautiful.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Amber Room: The Fate of the World's Greatest Lost Treasure (other topics)