2012 - Ms. Richardson L.A. discussion

The Most Dangerous Game

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:12AM) (new)

Rebecca | 7 comments Mod
A good protagonist evolves in a story. Consider what you know about the protagonist Rainsford prior to falling captive on the island. How did his experience on the island change him? Did it change him for better or for worse? Use explicit moments from the text to support your answer.

Paris Kralik | 7 comments The story the most dangerous game begins with our protagonist, Rainsford saying "Who cares how a jaguar feels?". To me this shows how he doesn't care about the feelings of animals, which shows that he is not empathetic or sympathetic. The character is then dragged to the mysterious island, where he meets General Zaroff. General Zaroff is a man who lives for hunting and he is past passionate about it. He gives a huge spill about how he hunts like a mad man, and that he came to this island to hunt a new kind of animal. The animal turns out to be no other then man kind. Rainsford is traumatized. Rainsford then in my opinion becomes aware about how humans have feelings they feel all that he feels. Throughout the rest of the story Rainsford become hunted by the General. In the end it seemed to me that he didn't really change his thoughts to much on hunting. Explicitly he states "I am still a beast at bay." The whole entire experience changed him to in my opinion become more sympathetic. This experience made me like Rainsford better, because it did change him for the better not the worst in my judgement. Rainsford is still the same exact person, a hunter with a better understanding.

Sarah Sheffield | 9 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game", the protagonist is Rainsford. At the start of the story, he proceeds to say "Don't talk rot, Whitney," "You're a big-game hunter, not a philosopher. Who cares how a jaguar feels?" This lets us know right away that Rainsford obviously has no empathy. He doesn't care for the animals, or how the animal feels when it is being killed. After his falls captive on an unknown island, he meets General Zaroff. Zaroff was possessed with the passion of hunting. Zaroff was confident in his talent of hunting. He begins to tell Rainsford this: "Hunting had ceased to be what you call `a sporting proposition.' It had become too easy. I always got my quarry. Always. There is no greater bore than perfection." He had evolved to hunting more of a difficult creature. A creature that would actually provide a challenge for him. He hunted men. I think at this point when General Zaroff tells Rainsford this, Rainsford begins to be apprehensive about the idea of hunting mankind. As he says: "Thank you, I'm a hunter, not a murderer." I think that Rainsford right then decides that humans have the equal amount of fears and pain that he does. I think he realizes he would never want to put a human through that much pain and agony. He hunts animals, which makes sense, as to he is not an animal and does not know how it feels when they get hurt. I think that the experience on the island changes Rainsford for the better. He realizes that his love for life is more than what an animal head is worth. He realizes that pride, and how many animals you have does not matter. It was just a sport, and he would never go that far to kill humans just for the heck of it. Rainsford is still the exact same. He is simply more empathetic which may help him in the future by saving him from getting in over his head with hunting.

Brigham | 7 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford turns out to be the protagonist. Before Rainsford finds the island he is on a ship discussing the hunting world. Rainsford and Whitney get to talking about how an animal feels when it is hunted. "who cares how a jaguar feels?" Rainsford explaind as he talked with Whitney. As Rainsford finds the island he meets with a man by the name of Genral Zaroff. Zaroff poses as a great man that has had many successful hunts. He tells whitney of his passion for hunting and that it is not as exciting as it used to be. He finally reveals his secret on how he hunts lost sailors that wash up on his island. I think that Rainsford thought that Genral Zaroff was going a little to far. And after Genral Zaroff hunts Rainsford I think that he realizes that to be hunted is truly not the best feeling in the world. I think that Rainsford is changed for the better and agrees with Whitney on how the jaguar would feel.

message 5: by Thabo (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:47PM) (new)

Thabo Wright | 5 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford is the protagonist because he is mentioned more often and the story is sort of following his actions instead of Whitney's. Whitney is the antagonist in the story becuase he is starting to feel bad for the animals and is trying to tell rainsford that what he is doing is wrong. When Whitney was defending the jaguar rainsford said, "Who cares how a jaguar feels?" which is an explicit reason from text that makes me infer that rainsford is happy with what he does and doesn't care about the animals feelings. After the whole adventure with General Zaroff, I think Rainsford is feeling the urge to show the opponent who is dominate and put more fire into his heart and remains a hunter and i think that rainsford will take over the island and have people back from England migrate to this wonderful island without General Zaroff around to hunt them!

message 6: by Brooke (last edited May 09, 2012 08:37PM) (new)

Brooke Hamblin | 6 comments In the story, the most dangerous game, our protagonist,Rainsford, goes through many trials to change him into a different person. While hunting tigers with his rather sensetive hunting partner,Witney, he exclaims"who cares how the tiger feels?!?!" He having no care in the world about a life, even if it is an animal. He wants it to die. He thinks that it needs to die.

When he landed on that dreaded island where a evil scientist trapped people onto his island and then hunted them. He is then invited into his mansion and forced into a competition to the death, and if he wins he gets the island, and if he doesn't, he dies. As he was running away from what used to be himself, it changed is heart as he felt what it was like to be the tigers and to be hunted. His heart is changed because of the terrifying experience, and he most likely will not pick up another rifle again.

Emma Smid | 9 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" it starts out in a coversation showing that our protagonist Rainsford lacks empathy for the big game he hunts by saying, "Who cares how the jaguar feels?" This statement makes him unlikeable to me, compared to Whitney, who still hunts but is showing little empathy for the animals, commenting on Rainsford's statement, "Maybe the jaguar." This explicit detail makes him the more likeable one at this point. The story then takes a turn as we follow Rainsford to an island where strange game is being hunted. On this island we meet our antagonist. General Zaroff, he is mentioned as a very rich, an sophisticated man. At this point everything is going good. Rainsford is hearing stories, has dry clothes and a full stomach. Rainsford learns that the General is a very passionate hunter. As the General is telling his story, Rainsford realizes that this isnt right, how could this breed he has created have reason. Thats when he gets it, the breed this man has been hunting is no animal it is a human being. The General asks Rainsford to help him in his game, but Rainsford refuses, thats when he, the hunter becomes the huntee. He now has to use his cunning instinct and reason to keep from being killed. Rainsford ends up winning the game and somehow killing General Zaroff. I think this experience gave him what he needed to see that he should show empathy for the animals he is hunting because not inly do they know they are getting hunted the know they are going to die. I think his experience didnt shift his feelings toward hunting, I just think it gave him an idea how the animals really feel. I think that Rainsford is still the same he was before the island but with a little more empathy.

Sydney Leavitt | 7 comments In the story "A Most Dangerous Game" it is easy to tell Rainsford is the protagonist. The Narrative's plot follows Rainsford on his journey to an unknown Island to be hunted. At first we she Rainsford as a rich hunter who shows no compassion for the animal(s) he hunts, "Who cares what the Jaguar feels?" hey says to his partner whitney. When Rainsford lands on the Island where he meets General Zaroff he sees he is a hunter. Rainsford gets to see all of the animals Zaroff has hunted, then he finds out what his new pray is. Zaroff tells Rainsford how he is tired of hunting Tigers and other creatures, and how he has advanced to a more difficult creature to hunt, humans. Rainsford believes this is completely wrong and when he is asked to go and hunt humans with Zaroff asks him to go hunting with him he replies saying "I am a hunter, not a murder." You can tell he has a slight change of heart. But when Rainsford is hunted by Zaroff, his change of heart turns into psyco change of the brain. You can sense this when he is found in Zaroffs room after he think Rainsford is dead after jumping of the cliff, it seems that he has become obsessed with the game. I think it changed him for the worse, because he had a traumatic experience on this Island that changed him for the worse.

Chase | 9 comments In "The Most Dangerous Game", Rainsford is the protagonist. In the beginning, he seems unsympathetic when he says to his hunting partner, "Who cares how a jaguar feels?" To me, that seemed like he had no regard for life, and would kill just about anything. After falling off of his boat and reaching an island, he encounters General Zaroff, who hunts men. When Zaroff invites Rainsford to join him on one of these hunts, my perspective of Rainsford changed. He says "I am a hunter, not a murderer." He seemed much more sympathetic, especially to me, because killing men is the worst thing a person can do, and he had killed a man before, fighting in The Great War. He really changed in this story, because I think he realized how terrible killing is. Though he suggests that humans are still worth more than any other life, he still showed some compassion, which grows throughout the story. It is implied at the end of the story that he kills General Zaroff, but only for the good of other men, which is the only reason to kill, so it shows a change within him. I think his time on the island really changed his perspective on life and animals, and made him change his ways for the better.

Mitchell | 5 comments I believe Rainsford's experience changed him, in that it made him less humane and less empathetic. This is shown, as before he sets foot on the island, he has less empathy than one would need to have to feel pity while killing animals, such as a jaguar. However, after his ordeal, he seems to have no qualms about killing a man, as he threw General Zaroff out the window. Since killing a man in this fashion requires one to have even less empathy than killing a jaguar does, that suggests a decrease in Rainsford's empathy.

Abdi Bwanadi | 2 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford is the protagonist because he is mentioned more often and the story is sort of following his actions instead of Whitney's. As Rainsford finds the island he meets with a man by the name of Genral Zaroff. Zaroff poses as a great man that has had many successful hunts. Though the ensuing fight is not described, the story ends with Rainsford's observation: "He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided," implying that he defeated Zaroff. The question now is this: Has Rainsford become another Zaroff?

Genny G | 8 comments In the story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford is most deffinitly the protagonist. He lacks empathy when whitney is telling him "what about the animals how do you think they feel." His response is "stop talking rot who cares how the jaguar feels." He ends up on an Island and winds up meeting General Zaroff who he can tell is a hunter. General tells Rainsford about how he once became bored by hunting animals of all sorts jaguars,tigers,bears and tells him how he now hunts a more difficult creature "man." General Zaroff tells rainsford " I give them a three hour start and if I cant find them within three days they win but that hasn't happened yet." Rainsford tells him it is wrong it is murder and Zaroff replies "I am a hunter not a murder." When Zaroff is hunting Rainsford he keeps finding him but chooses not to kill him because he finds it amusing and fun. When Rainsford ends up back in Zaroffs room it explicity states that he says"I am still a beast at bay." I think that he has gotten worse and had taken over for Zaroff after he threw him out the window. I think he begins to like hunting human more than animals like General Zaroff did.

Jesse (JesseReed) | 3 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" The protagonist, Rainsford starts off seeming almost full of himself and doesnt care aboyt anyone or anything. He is a big game hunter and is with his hunting friend Whitney. He says to Whitney "Who cares how the jaguar feels?" From my experience when people say who cares it just makes then sound very low. Once Rainsford reaches the island where General Zaroff lives after a long swim from falling out of his boat, he proceeds to knock on the door of the large home on the island. Once he is invited in and seems very welcome he finds out General Zaroff hunts men. He seems very scared and shocked that someone could not care for his own kind that much. He says "I am a hunter, not a killer" it shows he seems a bit more caring. Killing men is much different then killing an animal and he realizes that. He still states that a mans life is worth much more then any other life. Rainsford definitely change in the story he shows to be more sympathetic and caring. It seems that at the end of the story he takes General Zaroffs life but from my point of view it seems like he did that to save other mens life who would have happened upon this island. When Rainsford leaves the island he shows to be changed. Once he was in the same place as the animals he hunts he realizes that he needs to be a but more sympathetic because you never know what situations you could end up in.

Jen G | 5 comments In "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford the protagonist shows absolutely no empathy. You can tell right away in the story when he tells his hunting buddy "Don't talk rot, Whitney,you're a big-game hunter, not a philosopher. Who cares how a jaguar feels?" Which makes most readers dislike him right away. But then when Rainsford is caught between a "hunter"-General Zaroff. In an isolated island- he himself feels how his game feels when its being hunted down. Which I think makes him change inside. And makes him change his mind about his game not having any feelings because he is put in the animals feet and also change his mind about what he said to his hunting buddy Whitney. So he changed for the better.

Connor Van Leeuwen | 6 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" we can identify Rainsford as the protagonist. I inferred this because the story is based around him. In the begining Rainsford and Whitney are talking about hunting and Rainsford shows little or no empathy for the jaguar which makes most of the readers dislike him right away. But when he finds himself on an island he is now the "hunted" instead of the "hunter". He is being hunted by a former General, General Zaroff which is the antoganist because he is preventing Rainsford from reaching his goal which is to get off of the island. Rainsford outsmarts general Zaroff and ends up throwing him out of the window to his hounds. I think that this changed Rainsford because he knows what it feels like to be the hunted.

Ashlon Wright | 9 comments The short story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford, the protagonist, was very different in the beginning of the story when he was on the boat with Whitney compared to the end of the story where he was held captive on the island. When he started out in the boat he had no feelings for anything or anyone. Whitney had brought up something about a jaguar and Rainsford said "Who cares how a jaguar feels". I think Rainsford was thinking just of himself and his hunting when he said this. After he had reached the island and had figured out what the General was up to i saw a totally different side of him. I saw that after he was on the island and had gotten to know the General a bit better he started to think about what the jaguar really felt like and how it was to be hunted. I think this experience while he was on the island had changed Rainsford for the better. He had actually realized that the world isn't only about him and how he felt about life. From my view it seemed like he started thinking about others. This experience definitely changed him for the better.

message 17: by Nathan (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:42PM) (new)

Nathan Burt | 8 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerouse Game" the protagonist changes in these ways. In the beginning of the story when Rainsfor and Whitney are talking, Rainsford says he doesn't care about the jaguar feels. This tells us that Rainsford really has no feelings toward what he is hunting and and is selfish and selfcentered. After his experience on the island and being hunted by General Zaroff I think he was changed for the better. Before he had trouble puting himself in the animals shoes but now he was physically in the aniamals shoes, and I think that afeter he saw what it was accually like to be hunted in a life or death situation he finally understands the feelings of animals being hunted and will become a better person.

Lilibeth Ceja | 7 comments In the short story "The Most Danderous Game" the protagonist changes through out the story in a couple ways. At the begining of the story Rainsford and Whitney are talking about how animals have feelings and Rainsfrod disagreeing. Rainsford starts out by not caring about how his quarry feel. Once Rainsford gets stranded on the island after falling off the yacht he begins to explore until he finds a man who hunts humans. After he is being hunted himself he realizes that maybe his hunt does have feelings after all. He changes for better after the expirence he has even if it doesn't state it directly in the story. I think he finally realized what it felt like to be the one being hunted instead of being the one doing the hunting. I think he started out badly and changed for the good after his trip on the island. Mainly Rainsford started out as selfish,uncaring and heartless but that all changed in the end because he turned into a more caring person towards animals feelings.

Parker Andrezzi | 4 comments In the beginning of the story "The Most Dangerous Game," you can tell that the protagonist,Rainsford, has little to no respect for the game that he hunts which at the time is a jaguar. Rainsford says that the jaguar has no feelings and that it doesn't care if it is hunted. While Rainsford is stuck on the island and being hunted himself i think he starts to see things from the animals point of view and realizes that the quarry may actually have feelings and they may not want to be hunted. In the end it is hard to say whether Rainsford is a changed man and will have more respect for the game he hunts or if his whole experience changed him for the worse.

Fernando Tepox | 7 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" it's explicit that Rainford is the protagonis. Why you might ask? Well it came to me at first that Whitney was the protagonist but he suddenly disapeared. I was a little skeptical about Rainford because in the begining of the story they discribed him as a character that had no compassion when killing a jaguar and saying that they had no feelings. An incident happened that changed the whole story, Rainford went over board and swam all the way to the shore of an island. There he met a guy by the name of General Zanroff, he was a haunter as well as Rainford. Rainford was amazed by the collection of animal heads that General Zaroff had killed. Some he didn't even know that excicted, he had asked General Zanroff that if he could teach him some of his skills and General Zanroff agreed but what Rainford got into was not going to be pretty. General Zanroff was the best haunter according to him and Rainford was going to play a game against him that General Zanroff had never lost, but as we got more into the story i realized that General Zanroff was haunting Rainford because he had lost intrest in killing big game animal, so the haunter became the haunted and it just comes to show how showing no empathy to simple jaguar can come back as a reminder of what he said about the jaguar not having feelings. But at the end Rainford ends up pushing General Zanroff out the window and killing hims so that brings me to a conclusion that you would believe that he learned his lesson about kiling animals but the question is did Rainford change in a good way or become a Zanroff since he killed a human being?

Janelle Jacobs | 7 comments After some thought after reading the short story the "Dangerous Game" I came to the conclusion that Rainsford was the protagonist. Rainsford and his friend Whitney were experienced hunters, but both had different opinions and ideas about the feelings of animals when they were being killed. Rainsford didn't have much sympathy or compassion towards the animals which made him less liked then Whitney who had more empathy. The story goes on and Rainsford ends up on a deserted island where he meets General Zaroff.Rainsford learns that the General is a hunter as well. Zaroff boasts of his hunting abilities and mentions that he hunts humans which catches Rainsford by surprise. "I am a hunter, not a murderer", Rainsford replies to the General as he hears that he's a hunter of man. General Z offers Rainsford a hunt against each other and the story concludes with Rainsford winning. In my opinion, I would say that Rainsford became afraid and fearful of the General and was glad he won the hunt, but wondered what kind of a person could have the smallest amount of empathy for human as the General did. Rainsford ended up gaining a better understanding of how animals feel when their being hunted since he had the experience of being hunted himself. If Rainsford didn't have this experience then I think that he might have turned into the General.

Brooke Boren | 8 comments In the book "the most dangerous game" Rainsford is the protagonist. He has evovled throughout the story. I think his experience in being hunted has changed him for the better. I no long think that he will hunt like he used to. It gave him a whole new perspective in his experiences in hunting. In the beginning of the story Rainsford said "jaguars have no feeling" meaning he really doens't care if he hunted or not. After he had to run from one of the most talented hunters known to mankind and knowing how terrible it was, he might take a second look before he goes back to his old ways.

Parker Winchester | 8 comments Rebecca wrote: "A good protagonist evolves in a story. Consider what you know about the protagonist Rainsford prior to falling captive on the island. How did his experience on the island change him? Did it change ..." The protagonist in the story "The Most Dangerous Game", is the first character that we meet, Rainsford. Rainsford is a hunter that seems a bit harsh, and has little regard for others feelings. Not only does he seem to not care for animals' feelings in the first of the story, boldly stating,"the jaguar has NO feelings, it is an animal!", he also seems very careless towards his hunting partner's feelings as well. It left me feeling a bit hopeless for the further duration of this story, and I wondered, what kind of a protagonist is Rainsford the cruel hunter? As I read on I began to realize where this story was going. Rainsford finds himself on an island alone, and if you ask me this was some form of karma sent his way for punishing helpless animals. He has a fine dining experience with a very skilled hunter named General Zaroff. He agrees to teach him some skills, but little did Rainsford know that he was going to be the target of the hunt, and General Zaroff never lost his hunting game. While reading this story I have to say I really wasn't fond of either of the characters, but something about the General's creepy and demeaning manor made me cringe while reading. When the General's evil plan, to hunt humans rather than big game, came into play, I realized that the story had now introduced an antagonist as a obstacle for Rainsford. I saw little change in Rainsford throughout the story but the one thing that stood out to me is when he stated "You have got to be crazy General, that's murder." I felt as though his mood had changed and he was now looking at hunting from the animals point of view, and starting to understand what it might feel like to be the hunted. Before this experience, he didn't care as long as he got the fame of the animal head plastered in his wall. In the end of the story, (which in my mind was really stupid and made absolutely no sense), General Zaroff was in his luxurious bed thinking that he had "won" his game when Rainsford appeared from the curtains killing him and spending the night in his bed. When I thought about how Rainsford had changed, I'm actually not sure if he really changed that much at all throughout the course of the story. He seemed to be a very driven and motivated person from the beginning. When he realized something was hunting him, he wasn't going to accept it so Rainsford "Won" the most dangerous game. The question now is where does he go from here, does he stop hunting because he knows the feeling to be hunted, or does he become the new "General" of the island, moving on to bigger prey to hunt?

Jordan | 5 comments "The Most Dangerous Game" has a definite protagonist, which would be Rainsford. Throughout the story you see his perspective on everything that’s happening. In the begging he starts out as a hunter with no feelings for the animals being the opposite of his friend Whitney stating that it doesn’t matter what they kill and “animals have no feelings.” His feelings on this topic waver and evolve as his journey begins first falling form his boat, then being stranded on a strange island with the mysterious man General Zaroff. Once the two become acquainted they learn they have a similar interest in hunting. As they get to know each other better The General becomes open with his shocking high off hunting humans. This is the part in the story where you Rainsford actually show a bit of remorse as he finds the fact of hunting humans inhuman stating that it isn’t right. Further in to the story the Rainsford ends up in the place of the Generals pray being hunted by someone who knows the jungle twice as well as he does, knowing all the tricks in the book. After the three days point has gone by and Rainnsford has won the game he shows up in General Zaroff’s room leaving the story with a confusing yet obvious end. I feel as though Rainsford has taken the place of a well trained partner of Zaroff’s that was killed in there dangerous game. It as if Rainsford has attracted the same high as of The Genrals. Leaving the story with a ending much worse in thought then the beginning with even less value towards ones life.

Nate Leishman | 10 comments Prior to being stranded on the island with general zaroff, our protagonist Rainsford was completely unfeeling towards animals. He was headed towards the Amazon rainforest to hunt wild jaguar for sport. "who cares how the jaguar feels," he said. He believed the the animals that he hunted had no understanding of the the fact that they were being hunted, and that if they did understand, they were impartial about it. But that he was stranded upon the island where he was hunted and truly experienced the terror of being hunted. In my opinion, Rainsford remained mostly unchanged by the experience after I read about how that he killed the general in the end. I do not believe that they he would become like the general and hunt other human beings, but he would just continue to hunt animals for sport, he would just have more knowledge of how to hunt these animals because of his experiences. I believe that our main protagonist's knowledge of hunting evolved, but he didn't evolve himself.

Sadie Olson | 8 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game," the first character we meet is named Rainsford, in which we later find out is the protagonist of the story. Within the first couple of sentences, we find that him and a friend are on their way to an island for a hunting trip, which both the men are equally excited about; except Rainsford seems to be the one who could careless about the animals. Overall, he was the less likable of the two. Well, as the story journeys on, Rainsford finds himself in a tough situation with Captain Zaroff who inhabits an island on which Rainsford had crashed upon towards the beginning. Captain Zaroff releases his secret about the island to Rainsford, which he takes a huge surprise to; for who humane man hunts humans? After almost being hunted down in the Captains evil minded game, the story seems to end in a strange way; a way where I was unsure what to think about it. Did Rainsford learn from the dreadful experience to shelter the poor, feelingful animals? Or did he just grow even more hungry for thrill? As I contemplated the story and how much change evolved in the mind of Rainsford through it all, I realized he had to have changed, but in my mind it was for worse. I feel that after all the turmoil ceased that he just continued on Captain Zaroffs sick game, leading helpless sailors to complete doom, just for the sake of thrill. His protagonist character was built up too well to end up in any way but evil and take after the man qho almost took his own life in the inhumane way.

Justin | 7 comments At the beginning of the story the reader of the most dangerous game is introduced to two charecters, two guys called Rainsford and Whittney. The charecter Whittney seems to be a more likeable while Rainsford is erragont, cocky and onlivious to the how the animals feel about being hunted. But after experiencing a horrific, and deadly adventure where he was the prey changed his prospective on how it is like to be the hunted.

Eden Brush | 8 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game", Rainsford is the protagonist. At the beginning of the story, two fellows, named Whitney and Rainsford, head out to a strikingly exotic island in hope of hunting some large game. Although they both seemed quite delighted about their hunting trip, Rainsford begins to show little empathy for the animals that they may hunt in the future. "You're a big game hunter! Who cares how a jaguar feels?" This statement made by Rainsford, addressed to Whitney, automatically makes most readers dislike Rainsford's merciless tendencies. We later discovered that Rainsford is the main character or, protagonist because the plot follows him throughout the story leading him to an island where the game in which he intended to hunt is not exactly what the average individual would expect. Upon encountering the island, Rainsford also stumbles upon a gentleman by the name of Captain Zaroff. When Rainsford first meets Captain Zaroff, I got the impression that he was very charismatic and likeable because he gives Rainsford food, shelter, clothes, and also agrees to teach him some of what he knows about hunting. Later into the story, we discover that Captain Zaroff is actually the antagonist. Like the experienced hunter that he is, Captain Zaroff began hunting human-beings instead of animals because he claimed that animals are not witty enough to out-win his hunting skills. This statement gave me the impression that Captain Zaroff thinks he's superior compared to others. When Rainsford is actually the one being hunted by Captain Zaroff they literally participate in the most dangerous game. Rainsford boldly states that killing humans is murder which definitely shifted his perspective on hunting in my opinion. In the end, Rainsford defeats Captain Zaroff in this cruel phenomenon he referred to as a 'game'. I think this whole experience actually changed the protagonist for the better. I believe that Rainsford will continue hunting like he always has been but after being hunted he will probably have a more empathetic outlook on the overall objective of hunting.

Byron Melville | 5 comments In "The Most Dangerous Game", I think that �Rainsford will have changed for the better. Although it may seem that he has fallen into the wickedness that he was trying to stop, I think that he changed throughout General Zaroff's 'hunting' of humans. I think that Rainsford changed because of many different things. The first reason I think that he changed for the better is because through his experience of being hunted, he has gained a better understanding and sympathy for any animals that he may hunt in the future. I don't think that this experience has stopped Rainsford from hunting altogether, but it most likely deterred him from being the blood thirsty hunter he used to be. There were many other explicit pieces of evidence that could show that he turned bad, but in my own, personal, opinion, Rainsford became a better man because of his experiences in "The Most Dangerous Game".

Clarissa Lawrence | 9 comments In the story "The Most Dangerous Game" the author states Rainsford as the protagonist. The man that didn't care about how the Jaguars felt. His journey on the island most definitely changed him for the better. He very explicitly stated his opinion to General Z. that it was very possible that the animals had feelings too. You could sense from the text in the story that Rainsford was uncomfortable with the situation of going hunting. I believe that Rainsford will still hunt when he returns home just because that is apart of him. Although he will have more tender feelings for the animals.

Ethan Bennett | 6 comments In the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" Rainsford is our protaginist, and at first he has little emotion or empathy towards the animals he huunts. And he says things like "Who cares how a jaguar feels?"
But I think after his encounter with General Zarroff and after being hunted he has a different view on hunting. I think he now knows how the animals feel. He may not completely stop hunting but i think he might find more empeathy towards the animals.

Joseph Ely | 7 comments In my personal opinion, i think that Rainsford is a changed man after he gets to the island and suffers through the unbearable cat and mouse chase with General Zaroff. When the story commences, Rainsford states that the jaguar has absolutely no feelings, and that hunting is 100% humane. Naturally, through the events on the island, I first started to believe that Rainsford, being thrown into the position of the animal, would have more sympathy as a hunter. However, I was able to come to the conclusion at the end that because he had succeeded at defeating the general, thus experiencing the thrill of the hunt, he found a new interest in hunting the most dangerous game. I believe that he will proceed on to become the new master and hunter of the island.

Jocelyn | 2 comments When the story commenced, Rainsford, believed that the animals or things he hunted did not feel pain or fear of being hunted. He states this in a conversation he has with Whitney. He says "Who cares how a jaguar feels?” This shows a lack of sympathy for the animals he hunts. However his perspective towards the hunted changes by the end of the story. He experiences being the hunted by General Zaroff during this he felt pain and fear. He then comprehended how the animals he hunted felt. This experience changed him for the better, now he has more knowledge and has learned to be sympathetic towards his ("huntees").

Ellie Carlson | 7 comments I really loved this short story. Ransford was the protagonist and changed many times throughout the story. He started the story out by being a courageous hunter acting like the animals have no feelings. After being thrown over the ship into the icy water, I believe just that made him a little bit softer. After meeting the general he learns about the hunted men. He considers this murder, as do I, and next thing he knows he is one of the men being hunted. As he set out to hide while the hunter prepared another small change happened. Fear took over him and next thing he knows he is being chased. Right here is the biggest change of all. He is in the position and felt the fear that animals feel everyday. He takes this to heart in my opinion and kills the general to protect men and animals from being hunted. After he leaves the island he does not hint anymore

unread topics | mark unread