Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Comments (showing 63-112)    post a comment »

message 112: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments Cindi wrote: "I did the same thing, Karen."

Glad it is not just me. Thank you. I can rejoice.

message 111: by Cindi (new)

Cindi | 119 comments I did the same thing, Karen.

message 110: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments I joined this, but finding the time to do it, I just don't know. Joined and left upon registering. Sounded good at the time.

message 109: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 2815 comments Mod
Gal4enok wrote: "Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but I'm using PBS for a while. I would like to make some friends here and there. My nickname is gal4enok on PBS."

Thanks for friending me!

message 108: by Gal4enok (new)

Gal4enok | 2 comments Hi, everyone! I'm new here, but I'm using PBS for a while. I would like to make some friends here and there. My nickname is gal4enok on PBS.

message 107: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Dec 08, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

I currently have The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman The Christmas Quilt by Thomas J. Davis and Patchwork Holiday by DiAnn Mills at Paperback Swap and Bookmooch. I am genealady at Paperback Swap.

message 106: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Hi, everyone! I have added For Women Only  What You Need to Know about the Inner Lives of Men by Shaunti Feldhahn by Shaunti Feldhahn to my bookswap! My nickname is bethbulow :)

message 105: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
I've added Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn and Tears of PearlTasha Alexander.

Not Christian fiction, but clean, fun historical fiction/mystery, if anyone is interested. Will have more to post as I plow through my to-be-read-pile :)

message 104: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Just added Love Song by Sharon Gillenwater to both Bookmooch and Paperbackswap.

message 103: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I have the following books listed on both Bookmooch and Paperbackswap if anyone is interested.

Judy Baer
Norah's Ark (Steeple Hill Cafe)

Peggy Darty
Angel Valley (Palisades Pure Romance)

Peggy Darty
Sundance (Palisades Pure Romance)

James C. Dobson
Night Light: A Devotional for Couples

Sharon Gillenwater
Antiques (Palisades Pure Romance)

John Kriegel
Houston Garden Book: A Complete Guide to Gardening in Houston and the Gulf Coast

Judith A. Lansdowne
Stocking Stuffers

Ann Spangler
A Miracle a Day: Stories of Heavenly Encounters

Robert Strand
Moments with Angels: Spectacular Encounters

Hope White
Witness on the Run (Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense)

message 102: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Deni wrote: "@Loraine
I am on paperbackswap.com - dbreitenbach@gmail.com"

Deni - just sent you a friend request. Thanks:)

message 101: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
I'll add you too, Deni! My email is bharbin07@gmail.com and my "nickname" is bethbulow.

message 100: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1430 comments Mod
I will add you Deni, mine is ihhcheryl@comcast.net

message 99: by Deni (new)

Deni | 2 comments Loraine wrote: "If anyone else is on paperbackswap.com, if we trade e-mail addies, we can friend one another and swap books among us. Send me a message if you joined and would like to exchange e-mail addies."
I am!! dbreitenbach@gmail.com

message 98: by Deni (new)

Deni | 2 comments @Loraine
I am on paperbackswap.com - dbreitenbach@gmail.com

message 97: by Kara (new)

Kara For anyone who is interested, I just listed Love Inspired books-
Seaside Reunion by Irene Hannon
and
A House Full of Hope by Missy Tippens (loved it)
I also listed two books by Brenda Jackson, but they're not Christian books :)

message 96: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Right now I have A Promise for Ellie by Lauraine Snelling, Love Your Life by Victoria Osteen and a few others.

message 95: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

have 4 books that I have posted to both Bookmooch and Paperback Swap that are non-fiction Christian books that someone might be interested in:

Moments with Angels Spectacular Encounters with Heavenly Messengers

A Miracle a Day Stories of Heavenly Encounters A Book of Meditations

Our God Reigns Stories behind your favorite praise and worship songs

All The Apostles Of The Bible

message 94: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe I'll go through a box of books that I got when I was in my teens. Some of them I've never read (might have to read them) and some of them I know I'm not interested in keeping. I could put those up on PBS. I feel bad getting rid of books but I don't want them to just sit here hoping that maybe one day they'll be loved. As for the ARCs, maybe I'll just post them as a giveaway on here or something, since they're all Christian novels ;-)

message 93: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Dani - I don't know anything about ARC's. But I have found that most of my paperbacks I have swapped (250 pgs +) went for a media rate of about $2.50. Postage in the US just went up so it may be a little more now.

message 92: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Yeah, that could have something to do with it. I do think that I entered a lot at one point, and that was when I won the most books.

message 91: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 1 comments I only won one once...it was right when I joined Goodreads. After a while, I stopped entering very many of them though. I just don't have time to keep up with everything!

message 90: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I only won 1. I'm wondering if the sheer numbers of people have increased and sadly our odds have gone down. Just a thought,

message 89: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
From what others said, there's not really a clear standard for how they pick winners. Also, I've not just won Advanced copies--I've actually won more finished copies than ARC. I also didn't review all of them.

I'm not sure if the swap was that connected with whether you won giveaways or not, Dani. I have won several from Goodreads, but not in a long time. I don't think there is a rhyme or reason to people winning. Some people have won tons, others have won like 2. I won a lot for a while, but haven't won any in a long time.

message 88: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments I keep looking through the Explore/Giveaways and check the one's I feel I can read if I won them. I did win one and wrote a good review. Your Goodreads giveaways are not necessarily for posting reviews except they do encourage you to do so on the Goodreads site. If this assumption of mine is incorrect, please steer me straight folks.

My daughter has a friend who has written a book and it is still in manuscript. She called and asked me to read her book and give her my comments. I didn't want to get involved in a friendship of my daughter's so I declined. I was honored, though.

message 87: by [deleted user] (new)

That's so cool Vera! I've never seen a manuscript ARC either.

However, this explains why I suddenly stopped winning books in the giveaway section. Back when Goodreads had its swapping thing I posted an ARC I won that was just ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE (what's funny is that everyone who has read it thinks it's great...all of these people make it clear that they have a personal relationship with the author, go figure). The author got it back (after saying he hoped I enjoyed it...did he not read my comment?) and since that one time I've never won a book on giveaway since.

But when Goodreads had their giveaway section I saw ARCs that people won all the time. AND it never said anything about not posting ARCs in the swap section. Even though that is gone now I still haven't won any giveaways. Find that kinda frustrating, that ding will probably be on my account forever :-(

message 86: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments :)

message 85: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Even cooler that it is a well-known author!

message 84: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments In fact, one publisher sent me one by mistake - but the one I am referencing (above) is a well-known novelist

message 83: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Ooo, that's cool, I've never anything close to manuscript before, just ARC's or galley copies. How neat :) Yes, you're probably right about that type of pre-published piece.

message 82: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments I have another ARC that is not in actual "book" form but more a manuscript format and I wouldn't pass it along unless it was to close family members. I realize there is a big difference there. It's fun to see the steps a book goes through (at least somewhat) prior to publishing.

message 81: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Vera, I think you'll be fine if you pass it along. The only restriction I've ever heard of is that publishers have a problem with people trying to sell it, like to a used bookstore or something. Passing it along to someone is fine.

message 80: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments I'll just share it with family (my children) and then toss it. I don't have a connection with shelters or nursing homes. thanks for the info. I wondered if there were restrictions and am glad to get an assist with that question.

message 79: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) Libraries are not allowed to shelve Advance Reader Copies.

As for further restrictions -- that varies on who you ask. Some authors give them away to introduce themselves to new readers. Some prefer them not to be shared because of mistakes that might be in them and want them burned or thrown away. Some publishing companies give their extras away to women's shelters or homeless shelters.

Since publishing companies give them to those ministries, I'd guess it'd be okay for you to do that with them... or nursing homes that have a library for the residents.

message 78: by Vera (new)

Vera Godley (VeraG) | 11 comments I have an ARC of a book - seems to be in final form except it has a border around the book that says Advance Reader Copy. I see someone says you can't post these,I presume that means you can't mail them to share them via swap programs. However, does anyone know if there are further restrictions on ARC once the book is actually published? Example: can I donate it to our Christian school's library?

message 77: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Laura. That stinks...someone traded me some books that all just happened to be ARCs (I don't think she ever read them, the spines were perfect) and all of them have since been published. Hmmm, guess I have to find another way to pass them along.

message 76: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Just posted A Promise for Ellie by Lauraine Snelling in case anyone is interested.

message 75: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) $2.47 to send out a paperback book, media mail (postage went up 6 cents) and no, you are not allowed to post ARCs

message 74: by [deleted user] (new)

Alright, so I'm finally at a point where I can breathe again and consider joining PBS. Question: how much, on average, does it cost to send out a paperback that's around 300 pages? And are you allowed to post ARCs?

Okay, that was two questions. Forgive me ;-)

message 73: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
I agree, Loraine--I didn't like booksfreeswap very much, I like paperbackswap so far a lot better.

message 72: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I am having better luck with paperbackswap.com and bookmooch.com than with booksfreeswap.com. But putting books on your wishlist at any of them is the best way to go.

message 71: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Crystal, when you put books on your wishlist, then you wil be notified when they become available.

I think Kara's right, you just have to do a search until you find one that available from another member. At first there weren't any that I wanted either, but now I've swapped about 4 credits for books I had been wanting :)

message 70: by Kara (new)

Kara So glad you joined, Crystal :) The popular books can sometimes be difficult to get a copy of. I just keep looking until the one I want is available.

message 69: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 13 comments I just signed up yesterday and uploaded my 10 books...but I'm having a hard time finding books I wan to read. Everything I put in says it s available to buy...but I don't want to buy it...has anon else had this issue? Any tips I should try?

message 68: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Sounds like a plan to me :)

message 67: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Sounds good! I haven't uploaded my info yet, but I will soon! I will look for all of you.

message 66: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Maybe once we all have friended each other we can switch books among us. I know there is a link next to your friend's name that you can see what books they have posted. I know I will always check your lists first before checking the entire group.

message 65: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2517 comments Mod
Yay, Cheryl, glad you're joining!

My "nickname" is bethbulow. I know, how original, haha! And Cheryl, you have my email to look me up that way too if you want :)

Well, so far I've sent two books, and I have to send 2 more tomorrow. I used the 2 credits for the first book to get 2 books that I've really been wanting to read, but haven't found anything to use my upcoming ones on. I still wish they did it like Goodreads used to, with the requestor paying for the postage, since I send more than request, but oh well.

message 64: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Kara wrote: "yay cheryl! will send you my email, i don't have a nickname but i would love to add you on :) LOVE your coffee title here, SO cute!

Loraine, i finally bought two tickets to the christmas ball o..."

Kara - let me know your e-mail via message and I'll add you as a friend as well.

message 63: by Kara (new)

Kara yay cheryl! will send you my email, i don't have a nickname but i would love to add you on :) LOVE your coffee title here, SO cute!

Loraine, i finally bought two tickets to the christmas ball on amazon.com. i really wanted to read it so now i will :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

God Chicks (other topics)
My Name Is Asher Lev (other topics)
The Christmas Kite (other topics)
Stocking Stuffers (other topics)
1225 Christmas Tree Lane (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lauraine Snelling (other topics)
Deanna Raybourn (other topics)
Tasha Alexander (other topics)