Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 175) (175 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jodie, Official Ice Breaker (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 306 comments Mod
Thanks to our members, we have discovered a new bookswap site that allows you, the sender, to send books without paying anything, just like Goodreads!! They also allow you to create wishlists and it looks like there's even a simple way for Goodreads members to import their books into the booksFREEswap system.

If you are wanting to check out this new to us site, head over here: http://www.booksfreeswap.com

If you are already a member and want to share your user name feel free to leave it here also!!

I (and I'm sure others) would love to hear what everyone thinks of this site!! Let us know!!

message 2: by Candy (new)

Candy (CandyY) | 23 comments I am 80sbaby. Look me up!

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (LibraryDiva) | 3110 comments Mod
I am lpertelt and would love to be your friend on booksfreeswap.

message 4: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Nov 07, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1301 comments Mod
I am all set up now and my name is - ihhcheryl (stands for In His Hands Cheryl :)I would love to friend anyone from our wonderful CFD family!

message 5: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 25 comments So, how does it work? Through Kindle, etc???

message 6: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Jocelyn- it is real books. Just like on the Goodreads book swap.

message 7: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 25 comments Ohhh...okay, just wanted to make sure! :)

message 8: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I'm bbulow! :)

message 9: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I added you, Cheryl!

message 10: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

Thanks Beth!! We need to let Grace know that we are all heading over there, I know she is a book swapper :)

message 11: by Grace (new)

Grace (gracefullygf) So ladies have you used the site and how's it working for you?

message 12: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I haven't used it yet...only because I have a ton of books on my shelves that need to be read, and I'm trying to watch my money. But I am eager to try it out!

message 13: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I haven't used it yet Grace as they haven't had any book I was looking for at the moment.

message 14: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (last edited Nov 11, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

me either! But I'm hoping to do some cleaning out of my books (once they are read) haha and I'm hoping that I will have some takers. We'll see... it seems relatively asy to figure out though.

message 15: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I'm the same, Cheryl. Once I knock a few books out, I should have more to swap :)

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) I haven't joined. I looked over their rules and don't like that they want $10 in the acct and they take out .25 every month...

I am in paperbackswap though, if anyone is a member there. Or balks as the fees like I did...

message 17: by Candy (new)

Candy (CandyY) | 23 comments I cancelled my account. I too didn't like the fees and I just didn't like how the whole site was set up. Goodreads bookswap just had me spoiled I guess! But I have so many books to read as well, that I really don't need any right now. I guess I will hold on to the ones I finish until I find someone to donate them to.

message 18: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:58AM) (new)

Laura - Thanks for pointing this out as I didn't catch it. I will be cancelling my account as well. Goodreads bookswap was really a good deal and I MISS it! I will check out Paperbackswap and might try it.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) You do have to pay postage at PBS, but in return you don't pay postage to have books sent to you. And there are no hidden fees.

message 20: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
Laura, do you have to pay for postage and for the cost of the book??

message 21: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Nov 12, 2011 02:38PM) (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I don't know how I feel about paying for the postage of a book that I'm sending to someone else. That just seems backwards...why can't the person who is requesting the book pay the postage?

I guess it is an incentive to swap books instead of just requesting all of the time, but what if you just want to be rid of some books, not request any? I typically sent out more books than I requested, so I kind of feel like I would be putting more money in than I would be saving on books.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) Well, I get a lot of books that are on my wish list there. Plus, the PBS credits can be used for CDs on CDswap, and for DVDs on DVD swap, so it equals out.

message 23: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I think I'm just not understanding how the site works...so any time you request a book, you never have to pay the postage, right? Then what is the point in the credits for a free book if you never pay the postage anyway?? I'm confused :/

message 24: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower (sfbookreviews) | 2 comments This is really neat!! Have to set up an account tonight.

message 25: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
So, can you only request a book when you send one out and receive a credit? Sorry I'm asking all of these questions, I'm looking at the site now, and their "how-to" is not making sense to me, haha!

message 26: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
PaperBackSwap is a lot easier to navigate and set up way better than BooksFreeSwap...I might be switching to it once I understand how it actually works.

message 27: by Sunflower (new)

Sunflower (sfbookreviews) | 2 comments Looking through booksfree..
Beth, I see what you're talking about too..its puzzling on what books are available and even the general s
search.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) yes, the books are free to you with a credit.

message 29: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
Sunflower wrote: "Looking through booksfree..
Beth, I see what you're talking about too..its puzzling on what books are available and even the general s
search."

Yes, that's exactly it! If you do a search, it brings up the book regardless of whether it is available or not...that's just weird.

Cheryl, how about you? Are you going to stick with BooksFreeSwap? Have you checked out PaperBackSwap at all?

message 30: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new)

I'm not sure, I was going to give it a try and see, although initially my response is that they don't have as big of a selection of books as I thought, which is I think why they do it the way they do. On first glance you think, hey they have a lot, but I'm not feeling it, so I may be ditching it like all of you. I was going to give it a little while and see.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I was going to do PBS and, as mentioned, the search thing was too confusing to me and I didn't like the fact that I had to pay postage. Doesn't make sense to me. The credit system was kinda wonky. I'm sad to hear Booksfree has hidden fees. I'd love to find some of the books I'm looking for and offload some of the ones I have. Guess I'll just check back here every now and then and see what you curious ladies find ;-)

message 32: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I guess the trade off in PBS is that when you request a book, you don't have to pay because you pay when you ship to someone else. But as I said, I shipped more books than I requested, so I'm not sure how it will work out. Once requesting is free I might get too happy and just request as many books as I just sent, haha! But I'm thinking I will end up switching to PBS.

message 33: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I have switched to PBS. I have now mailed off 3 books. My niece told me via FB that she has used this site for some time and been quite happy with it so will see what happens. I have a credit already from listing 5 books and will get another for listing 5 more. After that it will only be when I mail books and they are received. Haven't had a chance to use my first credit yet.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

So, this credit system, does 1 credit get you 1 book? Or is it based on a popularity system? Like, an older book that doesn't have many requests is 1 credit whereas The Hunger Games or The Help would be 3?

message 35: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
I think 1 credit equals 1 books. So any book you send out will enable you to get a credit, which you can then use to request a book for free.

If I have time over Thanksgiving holiday, I am going to switch to PBS.

message 36: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Dani - one credit is equal to one book request doesn't matter whether the book is old or new as long as someone has it listed.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks you two! Much easier than the system I saw on another book swapping website.

message 38: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

BTW I just finished The Christmas Singing which I liked. I will be putting it up for grabs on paperbackswap.com if anyone needs a copy. Remember if you request a book on PBS it doesn't cost you anything, I pay postage and get a credit for another book for me.

message 39: by Kara (new)

Kara If you're interested in trading books, visit this blog, she's hosting a bookswap for all bloggers:
http://katie-mccurdy.blogspot.com/201...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still on the fence about PBS but I have some books I want to pass along. If anyone's interested I'll go ahead and start an account. I have two copies of God Chicks and My Name Is Asher Lev. PBS doesn't have any books I'm interested in up for grabs right now so unless someone wants these I think I'm gonna wait.

Kara, have you ever participated in a blog bookswap before? I've never heard of such a thing (though I have seen other swaps). Does it normally go fairly smoothly? Do you have to send out a book in order to receive a book or is it more of a "if you see it, snag it. If someone wants it, send it" sort of thing?

message 41: by Kara (new)

Kara Hey Dani, no this would be a first time for me also, but I have tons of books to get rid of so I got excited :) I don't believe you have to send out anything to receive something. I considered that also. People want to get rid of their books even if you can't offer anything in return. As far as the instructions go, if you see something you want, email the person. If you have something they want, let them know. I trust it would go smoothly, but if something were to go wrong I would let Katie know about it since she's hosting it, but it seems simple enough. I've heard of some of the bloggers participating and they are reliable from what I've observed :)

message 42: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I have now been using PBS for about a month. I have to say I really like it and that it has not been that difficult to use. I do have a post office quite close which might make it easier for me, but you can print out a wrapper with postage already on it using pay pal. I have been using my credits to get books that I want, and they have come promptly and in excellent condition. Just wanted to let you all know more about this site.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Kara wrote: "Hey Dani, no this would be a first time for me also, but I have tons of books to get rid of so I got excited :) I don't believe you have to send out anything to receive something. I considered th..."

Thanks Kara, that clears up some of my confusion. I wonder if anyone would be interested in the books I have to offer. Might need to pop in my two cents and see if there are any takers! ;-)

message 44: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
Loraine wrote: "I have now been using PBS for about a month. I have to say I really like it and that it has not been that difficult to use. I do have a post office quite close which might make it easier for me, ..."

Thanks for keeping us posted, Loraine! If you like it then it must be good! :)

message 45: by Sara (new)

Sara (shoopettesbookreviews) | 2 comments Would anyone be interested in doing a children's book exchange with me by mail? I was sent one of those letters from a friend where you send one book to the first person on the list, put your information on the list, and then send the list to six friends. You are supposed to get 36 children's book in return if everyone participates.

I would like to ask people to participate instead of randomly sending this letter to six friends.

Anyone interested? I would prefer to limit this to just folks in the U.S.

If you are interested, please email me at:

shoopettesbookreviews@gmail.com

before Monday, December 12th.

Thank you!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "Would anyone be interested in doing a children's book exchange with me by mail? I was sent one of those letters from a friend where you send one book to the first person on the list, put your infor..."

Seems like an excellent opportunity for new moms/soon to be moms. If you don't get many takers on here maybe you should ask around the mother's group at your church. I know if I were an expecting or new mom I would love to have kids' books showing up at my door! And sending along my own kid's favorites would be so fun.

Just a random thought :-)

message 47: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

If anyone is interested, I just posted The Christmas Kite and Stocking Stuffers at paperbackswap.com

message 48: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth | 2787 comments Mod
Loraine, I set up my account at Paper Back Swap, but how do you find friends? I'd love to add you on there, and anyone else in the group who is on there.

message 49: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I just checked and you do it by using your friend's e-mail addy. I will message you my email addy and you can send me yours back.

message 50: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

If anyone else is on paperbackswap.com, if we trade e-mail addies, we can friend one another and swap books among us. Send me a message if you joined and would like to exchange e-mail addies.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

God Chicks (other topics)
My Name Is Asher Lev (other topics)
The Christmas Kite (other topics)
Stocking Stuffers (other topics)
1225 Christmas Tree Lane (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lauraine Snelling (other topics)
Deanna Raybourn (other topics)