Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Comments (showing 1-38 of 38) (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments With Thanksgiving coming up soon, what is everyone planning to serve for their vegan feasts? What recipes do you plan to cook up for the holiday?

Diane D. | 26 comments Oy, I'll be at my parents' house. They can't even understand my wanting to be vegetarian, never mind vegan !

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments You could carry some great vegan dishes with you. My in-laws are the exact same way. I always carry along some great food to share with them and there are never any leftovers. I could give you some recipes if you would like. Just tell me what sort of things you might like to carry along as a gift of food for the family.

Diane D. | 26 comments Thanks, Terri. Problem is I live in California and will be traveling to Boston. So I can't take anything with me ;(

message 5: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1863 comments Mod
Diane D. wrote: "Thanks, Terri. Problem is I live in California and will be traveling to Boston. So I can't take anything with me ;("

When I'm at friends out of town I'll sometimes shop and buy fruit and make a fruit salad. This would probably be considered too rude, but there is a great vegetarian society in Boston and they might know where you could get prepared to go food, or there might be a member who'd make you something and deliver it. ;-) I suspect that wouldn't go over well with the relatives though. Too bad.

message 6: by Gundula (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:07AM) (new)

Gundula | 279 comments Diane D. wrote: "Thanks, Terri. Problem is I live in California and will be traveling to Boston. So I can't take anything with me ;("

Why don't you offer to make a few of the vegetable side dishes. Or would that be considered to be rude? And I know for a fact that when we used to have family Thanksgiving dinners, while there was usually quite a lot of leftover turkey, there was usually not a lot of leftover vegetables or potato dumplings. And fruit salad would be a great dessert option (our family always had fruit salads for holiday desserts, they were and are more popular than either pies or pastries).

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments Great ideas, Lisa and Gundula!!! You can tell the relatives that there are some fabulous recipes you just have to share with them and want to cook there. You don't have to mention it is vegan--until they have eaten it up and are demanding the recipe! It's never rude to offer to help in the kitchen. What would be rude is to invite someone who is vegetarian or vegan to an event and try to make them eat food that is not vegan. Rather like inviting someone with a food allergy then making sure all of the food has that ingredient in it.

message 8: by Gundula (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Gundula | 279 comments Terri wrote: "Great ideas, Lisa and Gundula!!! You can tell the relatives that there are some fabulous recipes you just have to share with them and want to cook there. You don't have to mention it is vegan--unti..."

Especially if you know the person is vegan or vegetarian. It's a bit different if that is not known (my mother had a situation once, where she was giving a dinner party and one of the guests informed her that she was vegan while my mother was serving the first course, and then the guest literally demanded that no meat, cheese or dairy be served to anyone, that was quite over the top and in my opinion, also quite rude and demanding, as my mother definitely was unaware the guest was vegan).

Farrah | 212 comments We are going to my sister-in-laws house and she has told us that she is going to make some steam vegetables for us. But otherwise, we are going to bring either some chickpea cutlets or field roast and maybe I will bring a vegan stuffing and vegan pumpkin pie :) I want to make a shoo-fly pie because I know the original recipe is vegan but I am having a hard time finding it on the internet. Mmm..shoo-fly pie is so good. :)

Farrah | 212 comments I do want to make a vegan thanksgiving dinner at home though, complete with cranberry sauce.

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:03AM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Hurray! I'm happy to be at home for Thanksgiving this year, so I can enjoy a big vegan feast! (My family lives far away, and sometimes I visit them at Thanksgiving, but they are big meat eaters ... I do cook vegan dishes for them, but still, the majority of dishes are meat and other sides that they have prepared, all with animal products in them.) I love going to a truly abundant VEGAN Thanksgiving feast, which is what I have done during the years when I have spent Thanksgiving at home in the Bay Area. (My "home" is where I live, not where my family members live!)

I will check the Bay Area Veg list of feasts and join at someone's house ... or if no one is having it, maybe I will host it at my house ... I love getting together with all the vegan Thanksgiving orphans. :)

message 12: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Nov 07, 2011 10:11AM) (new)

Rachel wrote: " will check the Bay Area Veg list of feasts and join at someone's house ... or if no one is having it, maybe I will host it at my house ... I love getting together with all the vegan Thanksgiving orphans. :) "

Rachel, Kim and her husband have a vegan pot luck every Thanksgiving, which is VERY popular. ;-) And fairly near you.

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Yes, I have been to Kim and Jaime's Thanksgiving feast twice already ... the food was fabulous, and it was such a warm and inviting atmosphere, such good conversations ... that's my idea of a wonderful Thanksgiving. :) Yes, if Kim and Jaime are having it again at their place, mostly likely I will go to theirs .. !

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments Farrah, here is a recipe for vegan shoo-fly pie I think you will like. nobacon.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/vega...

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments Farrah, if you have trouble finding the agar-agar flakes needed for this shoo-fly pie recipe (it is available at Whole Foods Markets, health food stores, and natural foods groceries), here is a link to purchase it. www.amazon.com/Eden-Foods-Agar-Vegeta...

Farrah | 212 comments THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

message 17: by Diane D. (last edited Nov 07, 2011 11:54AM) (new)

Diane D. | 26 comments Good morning everyone!
I have to comment on Gundula Comment #8. That's really terrible what happened to your mom. IMO, everyone has a right to be what they want, but they must MUST inform a host or hostess of their eating preferences before attending a dinner. I know you all agree. Your mom went through a lot of trouble to prepare, only to be told after the fact. That happened with Endre once, so now we always quiz the guests before they come over. If the anwer is "oh, I eat anything" that is not accpetable!

As for my Thanksgiving, I will be able to pick and choose what I eat at my parents' house. Yes they will give me crap for not eating the meat, but I can handle it. Just won't be a vegan meal.

I'll look forward to reading about what everyone here prepared!

Diane D. | 26 comments Terri wrote: "Farrah, here is a recipe for vegan shoo-fly pie I think you will like. nobacon.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/vega..."

Yum!! I always get a kick out of someone being surprised something wasn't made with a particular something (in this case, eggs or dairy!)

message 19: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1023 comments Mod
That shoo-fly pie certainly looks interesting! Is the pie filling flavour really strong? I mean does it taste strongly of molasses?

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments You are very welcome, Farrah. I am a good source of recipes because of always collecting them for my members. The agar is cheaper at Amazon than in my local Whole Foods Market. I think you would like it too Diane. People are always surprised when they eat the vegan food we make at home. They can't believe I have never eaten or cooked with meat, dairy and eggs. Lee, it does taste pretty molassesy. You can use mild molasses and leave off the blackstrap molasses (just use more mild in its place)so it is milder. I agree with you Diane, people should always notify someone who has invited them over of any things they can't or won't eat. If one has a food allergy, eats kosher, or is vegan, you can't expect your host and hostess to know that. It is wrong to embarrass someone like that. I don't specifically mention that they will be eating vegan at my house because no one is going to die if they don't eat meat, dairy, and eggs here, they can certainly eat everything we serve, but I need to know if there are foods they are allergic to or just plain hate so I always ask. I always tell people where we are going that we are vegan. It's the polite thing to do.

Farrah | 212 comments Lee
With Shoo-Fly most people either like it or hate it. If it is made well, it is rich with molasses but the crump topping makes it balanced. My husband and I love it.

message 22: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 1023 comments Mod
It sounds gooey and decadent. I'll probably give it a try one day.

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 439 comments Hi girls,
this year we won't really celebrate Thanksgiving other than me cooking a few more holiday-ish dishes.
The past years we've had friends over and unfortunately also a turkey.. which I'm thankful won't be here this year and hopefully never again!.. (Never liked the smell of the carcass in the oven, even as an omni!)

I agree with Diane's comment regading Gundula's post #8, that behavior from the guest was indeed quite rude!

Gundula | 279 comments Val wrote: "Hi girls,
this year we won't really celebrate Thanksgiving other than me cooking a few more holiday-ish dishes.
The past years we've had friends over and unfortunately also a turkey.. which I'm th..."

Actually that sounds great. Having huge dinner parties is always a bit of a pain. Also though, if it's you who is having friends over, you should also not feel obligated to serve non vegan food (especially if people know you are vegan). it goes both ways, you know.

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 439 comments Gundula,
the problem is that since my husband is still omni, for Thanksgiving with friends we always had turkey.. Trust me, I wish we wouldn't have *any* meat in the house.. but occasionally we do for my husband and son.. :( (My husband cooks it, I don't, but I still hate the thought & smell of it!..)

Eden (Eden-pie) | 3 comments Have to go to a huge family thing on my husbands side. I am not looking forward to it. My mission is to eat before hand. Not a fan of their meat, egg, and dairy foods that is full of processed junk. Who ever thought that American cheese was a good idea? Really?

message 27: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Hi, Eden. Welcome to the group. Eating before and after are good ideas, and also you might want to bring a side and/or dessert (such as a vegan pumpkin pie to share) if that would be welcomed. I know if I'm somewhere where I can eat, especially on a holiday, it's a much more enjoyable experience.

Terri Lynn (terrilynnmerritts) | 30 comments Hi, Eden. I am so glad you are here. Eating beforehand is an excellent idea as is having lots of vegan goodies waiting for you when you get home. Lisa's advice is good. If you carry along a few vegan dishes with you, the family can be introduced to vegan cooking in a delicious way. I am glad that my husband is vegan but his family is not. They now go to eat together at one of those meat-and-potatoes restaurants. Our daughter and I do not go. We stay home and cook. They understand that I can't bear even watching someone else eat meat, dairy, and eggs- makes me nauseated- and I make a point of having them over individually during the entire holiday season so they do get to spend time with us. My husband eats before he goes, munches on whatever veggies he can there, and then comes home for the real feast. I try to have them visit us during December for small dinner parties individually and serve up amazing vegan dishes that dazzle them. My husband was not vegan when we met as I was (since birth) but I told him I would not marry anyone who was not vegan. He started eating my vegan cooking during our dating and was won over. I told him there would never be any meat, dairy and eggs in our home or it would be a dealbreaker. He could not bring it in nor cook and eat it and since eating these things causes health problems in kids, no kids would ever eat them. I am fortunate that he loves vegan food now and that our daughter, now 18, is a strong vegan for life.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I'll be dining at my sister's house with at least 9 omnivores. I'll be making two kinds of stuffing, sweet potatoes with garlic and rosemary, and a couple of pies. My mother-in-law is bringing a marinated vegetable salad. I'm lucky--I always have plenty to eat at family celebrations.

message 30: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Bobbi, It sounds as though you're going to be able to share a great meal. Those lucky omnivores who get to sample your dishes!

I really don't like the holidays but I do love the food. I'm planning on having stuffing (my favorite thing), mashed potatoes with Earth Balance on top, plain garnet sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, some green veggie, and Martinelli's organic apple cider. And for breakfast, waffles with more Earth Balance (I buy a tub every year to have at Thanksgiving through Hanukkah/Christmas) and maple butter.

I usually have pumpkin pie but decided not to go the pie route this year. I have some wonderful Next organic dark chocolate covered cherries. Open the bag and eat. ;-)

message 31: by Rachel (last edited Nov 23, 2011 01:52PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments I'm going to Kim's Thanksgiving vegan / vegetarian feast in San Francisco. She does it as a pot luck, so it's really nice because it's not like it falls on her to do all the cooking.

The first year I went to Kim's, I made stuffed acorn squash, as well as mashed potatoes and gravy.

The second year I went, I had organized a big Thanksgiving swing dance from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., just prior to Kim's pot luck, so that had me busy during the days leading up to Thanksgiving, and I had no time to cook. So instead I brought two large pizzas from a local pizza place which had vegan cheese. (The place is no longer in business.) Although "pizza" is not very Thanksgiving-ish, it turned out to be very popular at the pot luck. :)

This year I'm going to bring the creamed corn from the Vegan Soul Kitchen cookbook, as well as pumpkin biscuits. I can't remember for sure, but I believe the pumpkin biscuits are my own recipe that I veganized from a regular recipe many years ago.

Both the creamed corn and the pumpkin biscuits are very easy to make, and that makes me very happy. I feel a bit over-worked at the moment and I need some down time ... I'm very thankful that I don't have a big grocery shopping and cooking agenda this year.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa, your menu sounds great! I use the garnet sweet potatoes in the dish I make. They're so good.

message 33: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Nov 23, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Rachel, the many vegan dishes at Kim's pot luck always sound so mouthwatering. Both your dishes sound delicious and that's good that they're easy to make.

Bobbi, Agreed! I eat them all autumn and winter long! They're great with so much of what I make. I love garnet sweet potatoes with black beans, and I make a curry soup I like with lentils and vegetables and garnet sweet potatoes, which thickens up the soup, and I serve it with with quinoa or brown rice. It's one of my favorite meals.

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Check out the vegan Thanksgiving menu being offered at Symphonie in the East Bay (Richmond), near San Francisco, California.

http://www.meetup.com/Berkeley-Vegan-...

I wonder if they might be serving this on Friday, too!? I'm going to do some investigating ...

message 35: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

That's nice that they give the menu in advance, Rachel. Millennium always gives LAST year's menu for their holiday dinners. ;-)

message 36: by Rachel (last edited Nov 23, 2011 04:26PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments I called Symphonie and found out that they open at 3 p.m. on Friday, and they only serve Thanksgiving Dinner on Friday if they have any leftovers from Thursday. And they said they pretty much never have any leftovers. Ever. However, I will call them at 3 p.m. on Friday, just in case. :) I would love to go to this Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, but of course I already have plans at Kim's. So maybe there will be something left over on Friday.

Oh, and I found out where I got the pumpkin biscuit recipe from ...

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/pump...

When I made it as is (link above) .... the biscuits didn't turn out fluffy enough, so I modified it like this:

INGREDIENTS (not doubled, serves 6)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canned pumpkin pie mix
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted Earth Balance
2 Tbsp non-hydrogenated coconut butter or shortening

And then followed the directions per the link above.

Lisa, would you know a better thread where I could put this in? I know there are some cooking threads related to things like this. :) I only posted this here because it's what I'm making for Thanksgiving. :)

message 37: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Nov 23, 2011 05:27PM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "Lisa, would you know a better thread where I could put this in? I know there are some cooking threads related to things like this. :) I only posted this here because it's what I'm making for Thanksgiving. :) "

Rachel, This is a good place for your post. Another place where it would fit is this thread:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

ETA: If you've altered it enough; otherwise, one of the other threads in cooking chat. But, it's great here. They sound perfect for Thanksgiving.

Val  Cowhugger  (MomOf2Gremlins) | 439 comments Those pumpkin biscuits sound great, Rachel, thanks for posting!
I'm in the mood to make something like that, having used a can of pumpkin for the pie I made yesterday (Happy Herbivore's recipe), so I'll create those right now! ;)

We're going to have Lentil Loaf (I actually blogged about it just the other day, recipe included), fresh mashed potatoes with mushroom 'bacon' (Vegan Planet) and fresh green beans. I might dress up the green beans a bit, not sure yet. Robin Robertson has a recipe in her 'Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes' cookbook that sounds great, it includes some tahini sauce. ;)

Wishing you all a great & happy Thanksgiving! =)

unread topics | mark unread