Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Challenge Suggestions

Comments (showing 1-16)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 16: by Shannon (last edited Dec 06, 2011 12:24AM) (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 85 comments Thanks you guys! I'm glad you liked my idea and I do like the other suggestions thus far. I have another idea...

I don't know if this has been used before, but how about Classic Movies and we read books that have the basic theme of the movies listed. It should be a monthly challenge of 10 books.

Example:

Progress: 0 of 10

1. Schindler's List - Book that has a Holocaust setting or took place in that time period
2. Cleopatra - Book that features the love of a ruler or a romance set in ancient times against an Egyptian or Roman backdrop
3. Star Wars - Futuristic, space setting or aliens as main characters
4. Little Women - A story with sisters or with a Civil War backdrop
5. The Grapes of Wrath - Story should focus on travel in the US or take place in California or it could take place during the Great Depression
6. Casablanca - Romantic love triangle or possibly a romantic tale with some political espionage
7. The Wizard of Oz - A fantasy based with wizards and witches, lions and tigers and bears, OH MY!
8. The Shawshank Redemption - Could be a story with a prison backdrop or a story that focuses on the wrongfully accused
9. Pulp Fiction - Anthology with a mobster, hitman, or thief as one of the characters(s)
10. Apocalypse Now - A book with a Vietnam war setting or that focuses on soldiers and war itself

message 15: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 3130 comments ;)

message 14: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 05, 2011 08:29PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 788 comments I amended post #6 to read: "can use any of the authors in the anthology."

message 13: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 3130 comments That's fantastic Shannon :D Another one we'll be using.

Jess | 3721 comments Wow these are great ideas! I'm glad we decided to ask for some input because we have a whole score of talented people in this group :)

Keep 'em coming!

message 11: by Dawn, Reading Guru (last edited Dec 05, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Dawn (DawnV) | 3091 comments These are great I love it!

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 788 comments Oh, I like that one, Shannon!

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Dec 04, 2011 05:47PM) (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (SavhageTemptress) | 85 comments I was thinking The First of the Month. This would be a yearly challenge and be twenty-four choices and should be all main characters in books whose names will match the first letter of each month. It could be re-reads or first-time reads or it could be more than just two per month.

Example:

Progress: 0/24

January

Justice North = Justice by Laurann Dohner
Jericho Barrons = Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

February

Fury = Fury by Laurann Dohner
Faythe Saunders = Stray by Rachel Vincent

March

Merry Gentry = A Stroke of Midnight by Laurell K. Hamilton
Max Cannon = The Wallflower by Dana Marie Bell

April

Adam Hauptman = River Marked by Patricia Briggs
Aurora Teagarden = Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

May

Mercy Thompson = Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Merinus Tyler = Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh

June

Jake Hunt = Master of the Abyss by Cherise Sinclair
Jared Sapiens = The Host by Stephenie Meyers

July

Jim Heron = Covet by J.R. Ward
Jacques Dubrinsky = Dark Desire by Christine Feehan

August

Audrina = My Sweet Audrina by V.C. Andrews
Antonia Clark = The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

September

Sienna Lauren = Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh
Sunshine Runningwolf = Night Embrace by Sherrilyn Kenyon

October

October Daye = Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
Olivia = Rapture Untamed by Pamela Palmer

November

Nykyrian Quiakides = Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Nora Grey = Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

December

Dmitri = Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh
Dorian, the Oak King = Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 788 comments Sandra wrote: "Stop peeking over my shoulder."

LOL! Sorry! Glad you liked WrapAround. ☺

message 7: by Sandra, Challenge Junkie (new)

Sandra | 3130 comments Lisa Kay, we've got that very challenge, Spell it Out starting in the new year. Stop peeking over my shoulder. LOL

Love the WrapAround and we'll definitely be using that one. Looks like it could be challenging haha but easy enough to manipulate, so it doesn't scare everyone off :D

Great work Lisa Kay!

message 6: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 05, 2011 07:21PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 788 comments WrapAround: Or do a continuous list of ten of your favorite authors, also using titles, series names, authors’ first or last names. The next book read must be the last letter of whatever you listed. You must start and end with one of your favorite authors or series books.

Audiobooks, anthologies (if all stories read - can use any of the authors in the anthology), and re-reads okay.

Could do this as a “tier” level with 3, 5, 7, 10, or 12 books.

Example

0/10

01) Prophecy: Child of Earth, by Elizabeth Haydon
02) N. - Nalini Singh = Slave to Sensation, #1, Psy-Changeling
03) G. - Guild Hunter, #1 Angels' Blood, by Nalini Singh
04) H. - Heather Graham = The Last Noel
05) L. - Love Bites, by Lynsay Sands, #2, Argeneau
06) U. - Undead and Unwed, by Davidson, MaryJanice
07) E. - The Edge, #1 On the Edge, by Ilona Andrews
08) S. - Stephen King = Night Shift
09) T. - The Thief, by Megan Whalen Turner
10) R. - Roberts, Nora = Black Hills

Prophecy  Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) by Elizabeth Haydon Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh Last Noel, The by Heather Graham Love Bites (Argeneau, #2) by Lynsay Sands Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Night Shift by Stephen King The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1) by Megan Whalen Turner Black Hills by Nora Roberts

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 788 comments Who’s Your Author Appropriate for this group, considering its name. How about a Spell-It-Out challenge, spelling your favorite author's name? You can use book titles, series titles, and authors' first and last name.

One catch: whichever author you choose, you must use at least one (or more, if you want to “tier” the challenge) of their books. Or maybe one book and one anthology? If you’ve read everything they’ve ever written, guess you’ll have to do a re-read, so obviously they’ll be okay. Or maybe listen to the audiobook this time round.

EXAMPLE

0/11

N. - Nalini Singh = Caressed By Ice
A. - Archangel's Kiss, by Nalini Singh
L. - Lynsay Sands =Holidays Are Hell
I.  - In Death, #8 Conspiracy in Death, by J.D. Robb
N. - Night Play, by Sherrilyn Kenyon
I.  - Isabel Cooper = No Proper Lady
Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5; Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon No Proper Lady by Isabel Cooper

S. - Symphony of Ages, #2 Prophecy: Child of Earth, by Elizabeth Haydon
I.   - Ilona Andrews = Angels of Darkness
N. - Nalini Singh = Visions of Heat
G. - Guild Hunter, #3 Archangel's Consort, by Nalini Singh
H. - Harrison, Thea = Dragon Bound
Prophecy  Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2) by Elizabeth Haydon Angels of Darkness by Ilona Andrews Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Consort  (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison

Steph (Angel4492) | 1573 comments :) Thanks, Me too!

Jess | 3721 comments Thanks Steph! I can understand the time restraints as I have been going through some busy moments lately!

Hopefully you can find a challenge this year that you will be able to join :)

Steph (Angel4492) | 1573 comments I've been terrible at participating in challenges outside of my group, mainly because I barely have time to read lately. So, I won't make any suggestions. Just wanted to say that I'm excited to see the changes and hope to be able to join in more often in 2012. :D

message 1: by Jess (last edited Nov 06, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hi there everyone! So I have both good news and bad news.

Starting with the "bad"... there will no longer be any holiday challenges in this group.

The good news, the new mods and myself are coming up with new challenges to begin in January and although we have come up with a few, one of our decisions was to ask for suggestions from the people who will be taking part in the challenges.

So here's your moment to shine! We are taking suggestions for the following:

Yearly Challenges
2-6 month challenges
Monthly Challenges

As always, have fun and any questions can be posted here or sent to one of the mods.

Thanks all!
MODS