Stephen King Fans discussion

Nightmares And Dreamscapes
This topic is about Nightmares And Dreamscapes
Short Stories & Collections > The End of the Whole Mess-N&D

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angie | 2146 comments Below is a synopsis of the story from wikipedia:

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 953 comments This is one of my favorites so far.

For those that are curious about the audio version, Matthew Broderick read this one. He did a great job.

Amanda Lyons (AmandaMLyons) | 299 comments I remember reading this one and chuckling when Howard talks about how frustrated Bobby got with trying ti write by hand until he discovered the typewriter. I had been dealing with the same thing at the time (exacerbated by my hand writing being terrible :()

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments Oh, I love this story.... there are so many examples in "real life" of say... (view spoiler) I love this story!!

message 5: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2788 comments I read this with another group recently and here are my comments from there:

I loved this story. This is exactly why I love King. He writes these stories that are so amazing and powerful and layered and honest.

Spoilers below:

I loved the history of these two brilliant boys. I loved the description of genius for Bobby, being like a compass needle spinning and spinning and looking for the North that will point to that genius's purpose. I both loved and was extremely disturbed by the Calmative. I wish that there was a way that we could stop fighting with each other, but it's no quick fix. It's called tolerance and understanding and it sure as heck don't fall like rain.

I loved the method of this story too - to tell it so quickly, and show the degeneration and and super-fast deterioration of Howard's mind in such a short amount of time kind of only proves how brilliant Bobby really was, even thought that's terrifying because he didn't care about the potential consequences of his actions.

And I loved the last couple lines, how they come full circle back to the brother who loves his little brother and will forgive him anything, even the end of humanity. But I especially loved the signature:

"sinned (for the wurld),

Bowwow"

Supposed to be "signed", but "sinned" is appropriate in a way too... Coming back to Original Sin, Bobby is kind of eating from the tree of knowledge and the whole world pays for it.

I love how it's a future story too, even though it's a not-too-distant-future story. King writes so few of those.

It might be too early to say, but this might be my favorite story.

message 6: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2788 comments Also, I watched the mini-series the other night, and I thought that they did a pretty decent job with this one.

Ron Livingston did really great as Howard, but I thought that they focused a bit too much on the mundane stuff and Bobby's genius rather than the effect of what his genius meant. I LIKE the relationship of the brothers, and that came through loud and clear, but I wanted to see the effect of Bobby's changes on the world, like we could in the story.

Oh well. Can't have it all. It was still good though. :)

PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*  | 15 comments I admit, I skipped this one in the book only because I had already seen this on the movie and the ending was already spoiled for me.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 50 comments I really enjoyed this one. It was quick and light on the surface, but when reflected upon, it offers so many opportunities for discussion including, but not limited to:

- education based on skill level rather than age
- tolerance and acceptance
- how our choices impact others
- the need to be responsible and accountable for our actions

unread topics | mark unread