Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 393) (393 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 05, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments After discussing River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt with Dawn (from this group), I thought I might add this thread and mention that I really liked;
River God by Wilbur Smith
River God by Wilbur Smith

I read it a LONG time ago so can only recommend it from my pleasant memories of it.

There are others to follow River God too. This is the series. 4 that I know of;

River God by Wilbur Smith The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith Warlock by Wilbur Smith The Quest by Wilbur Smith

Ireney Berezniak I haven't read it, but this looks awesome:

Pharaoh by Imari Jade

ib.

Ireney Berezniak The cover could be misleading.

ib.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 07, 2011 12:33PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I see you saw my post before I deleted it. I deleted my post because I didn't know if you were serious about that book. Decided not to touch that hot potato. :)

Ireney Berezniak Terri wrote: "I see you saw my post before I deleted it. I deleted my post because I didn't know if you were serious about that book. Decided not to touch that hot potato. :)"

Heh heh ... I found that title on Amazon while I was looking for another title that I read during childhood. It was a Polish novel and a classic, adapted to film in the 60s. I was curious to see if there was an English translation ... turns out there is:

Pharaoh by Bolesław Prus

I couldn't resist posting the other Pharaoh for a bit of comic relief ...

ib.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I thought you were kidding. But you can never be too sure. hehe :) So, I decided to play it on the safe side and say nothing. LOL.

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I much prefer the look of the title you MEANT to find. :D

Ireney Berezniak I do too! >8) In fact, I will have to read it again ... it has been a long, long time, and I do have the book sitting on my shelf.

I also have Smith's series in my TBR list, but nothing besides that as far as Ancient Egypt is concerned. Good to hear you liked it ... I'll give it a try one day.

ib.

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 07, 2011 02:44PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I grabbed River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt off my bookshelves yesterday and read the first few pages. Instantly hooked again. Even after allll these years. :)
Disappointed that I don't have time to fit it into my reading schedule.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:22AM) (new)

Soldier of Sidon. A fantasy novel set in ancient Egypt. But for it to make sense, you have to read the two prior books, Soldier of Arete and Soldier of the Mist.

message 11: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4068 comments I just bought a trilogy by Michelle Moran at the used book store this afternoon (on my coffee break).
They look really good and came recommended by the lady at the store, if anyone needs more acient egyptian books to try out.
Nefertiti by Michelle MoranNefertiti The Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle MoranCleopatra's Daughter

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 30, 2011 06:15PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Michelle Moran's books are very popular around Goodreads. VERY popular. :)
I haven't tried them yet.

Did you get them for a great price? Were they in lovely condition?

(I have to live vicariously through you as I don't get into used bookshops much anymore).

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Dec 16, 2011 04:46PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I keep forgetting to mention Scott Oden's book Men of Bronze.
I have mentioned it eslewhere in the group, but it should be mentioned in its rightful thread. The Egypt thread. :)
I read this a while back and have been meaning to reread it. I enjoyed it, but once I started adding books to my profile a few years back Men of Bronze was not fresh enough in my mind to give a proper review or rating.
I plan on rereading it next year.

Men of Bronze by Scott Oden

message 14: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4068 comments Did you get them for a great price? Were they in lovely condition?

(I have to live vicariously..."

Wow, I don't know how I missed this post way back then, but I got them at $24 for the three, they are in almost new condition and they are not the mass market paper back they are the bigger ones (whatever they are called). They have nicer covers than the ones above too.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Yes, how is that possible that you missed your chance to wax lyrical about your secondhand score?

message 16: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4068 comments :D

Now I have to find the time to read them.........I'm sure to buy more before I get to them!

Laura Gill | 16 comments Terri wrote: "After discussing River God: A Novel of Ancient Egypt with Dawn (from this group), I thought I might add this thread and mention that I really liked;
River God by Wilbur A. Smith
[book..."

Pauline Gedge has several wonderful novels set in ancient Egypt.

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I have never heard of her. (which is no surprise as I don't often read female authors).
Which books did she write?

Laura Gill | 16 comments Terri wrote: "I have never heard of her. (which is no surprise as I don't often read female authors).
Which books did she write?"

The Twice Born
Seer of Egypt
House of Illusions
House of Dreams
The Horus Road
The Twelfth Transforming
Scroll of Saqqara

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Mar 14, 2012 03:47AM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Hi Laura,
Thanks for the list.
Would it be a problem to put up links to these books? We try and link books in the group to help people out. It doesn't have to be a book cover link. A title link would be fine. :-)
If you are on a tablet or ereader I understand they can be slow when doing add book/authors, so if it easier for you, just an author link instead of linking her books?

message 21: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments A kiwi hey? A kiwi canadian. Don't hear of those everyday.

Thanks for the recommendations Chris. :-)

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments lol. :)

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I somehow missed your post Diana!
And after all the work you put in. :-)

Fantastic of you to add all those books and comment about them in this thread. Will give people who come to it looking for inspiration on what to read from this time in history, plenty to choose from.

Please, tell us more about your books. I really like it when authors come to enjoy the group because they love to read this genre, instead of coming just to plug their books. You definitely have been here to talk books not just spam us with your own books so please, tell us all about your books in detail. :-)

message 24: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Oh, I wish I was awake enough to read all about your books. Not that you put me to sleep. lol. No not that. It is late here and I was just about to log off and hit the sack.

I'll check it all out tomorrow.

And you could have said croaking. I am fond of the term. :)

message 25: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Apr 26, 2012 11:11PM) (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Diana,
Please feel free to post about your freebie in the freebie thread as well.

We want to support Goodreads authors in this group, which means say it loud and proud in the Freebie thread when you have you book up for free. Even if it is for a limited time.
I want to read one of your books as you seem like a bit of a wordsmith to me. ;)

Here's the thread.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

If an author is giving away a book for download for a limited time post there. If an author uploads one of their books to Goodreads itself for free download I'll broadcast a message to all the group members and put a thread in a folder about it. As an added incentive. :)

message 26: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments By the way....I didn't even get a notification for your post in this thread, oddly.
There wasn't even a 'new' mark next to it.
I only noticed in passing that the Ancient Egypt thread was up top on my home page and wondered why.

message 27: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments You should hear ME when I stub my toe on a bed post. :-)

I just downloaded A Killing Among The Dead.

I thought you may not see my post about the freebie thread in time, so I pasted your comment over there...

message 28: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Your post also reminded me that I have to get on and post about the freebie thread in the authors guidelines thread. Tomorrow I shall make that right.

Hypervorean I very much recommend 'The Egyptian' by Mika Waltari. I read it some years back, only because I had this Finnish fascination thing going on for me, but the story really grabbed me.
The Egyptian by Mika Waltari

message 30: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I have added that one to my tbr. Thanks.

I see Diana, who's a member of our group here and writes Egypt themed historical fiction gave it a big miserable one star.
However, Scott Oden, an author who's books I like, and who is also an historical fiction author, gave it a big fat 5 star.

Sounds like it could go each way that read. :)

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I haven't read any of Waltari's other stuff either I don't think.

Well that's all very interesting. I dind't even know there was a movie. :)

I wonder also. Do you get extra picky because this is your realm of expertise? What you write about and have no doubt researched the arse off in order to write your books? I find sometimes when it is someone's field of expertise they may be prone to being pickier than people that haven't researched an era heavily and/or written about it. Does that make sense.

eg..An author got quite affronted by the idea that some of us regard Gemmell's Lord of the Silver Bow as historical fiction. This author writes in this era and is a stickler for the rules.
I accept some artistic license with history in HF. This author does not and was offended by the mere suggestion that Lord of the Silver Bow was anything but fantasy because Gemmell had written his own history in it.

Do you find when you read books with an Egyptian setting that they must follow true, known, history, Diana?

message 32: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Don't know why I never thought to mention Paul Doherty before in this thread.
He has written quite a few books set in Ancient Egypt. I haven't read any. I have only read one from his Rome series.

There are seven books in his Amerotke Series.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/42358...
Starting with this one;
The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1) by Paul Doherty

Three books in his Egyptian Mysteries Series.
http://www.goodreads.com/series/43379...
Starting with this book:
An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1) by Paul Doherty

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Thanks for the detective work. You're so nice to us, going forth and risking all to check the writing before mentioning it in the thread. :D

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Hi, Terri and everyone --

Thanks for welcoming me over on the "Meet and Greet" thread; I am glad there are several of you who do follow treasures from the Egyptian sands and, as I said in my introduction, since it is Howard Carter's 138th Birthday today, I am perusing my non-fiction research books again; hopefully, I won't find mistakes I have in my own novel (they constantly change dates and other research on me which was frustrating to say the least). Years ago when I submitted my manuscript to a 'real' publisher, I of course got the pink slip back; but with a hand-written note: 'If it's any consolation, we wouldn't publish Wilbur Smith either.' They should have been so lucky (or smart). Although, he sometimes is a bit "too superhero" for me - but who am I to argue with his success.

And I agree with Diana above: Fiction or not, if you write about a certain epoch, do your research; it doesn't have to be academic, but I for one don't like glaring inconsistencies.

You all have some interesting recommendations.

I look forward to some good discussions - and judging from "a certain cover" on here somebody has a funny side - but I do understand that Pharaoh Hatshepsut was an intriguing woman!

Inge

message 35: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Hellooo Inga, glad to see you out and about in the threads. :-)

Yes, there are quite a few comedians in this group. Watch yourself.

Wow. They wouldn't have published Wilbur Smith either. That's amazing isn't it? He has written some average books, but he has definitely written some good ones too.
Well, if they wouldn't publish old Wilbur, then the good news for you is that that publishing house doesn't seem to have an eye for talent. :-)

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Oh and Inga, if you like comedy..you may enjoy this thread. It is currently archived because I've been slack and haven't added anything to it for a while. I should get onto that.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Terri - I added something for you on "that archived thread" and told you that you were mean to a lonely old lady with pictures like that! All I have left now is a glass of wine and my cat!

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Hahaha! Isn't it poor isolated ladies with wine and cats that need books like that? :-) (I tease....I am isolated here on the farm a lot too as hubby works away....although...I have dogs and I don't drink anymore..:-) ...)

message 39: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments I think it is safe to say that I will never be reading Pharoah's Desire. :)
Good luck to whomever wants to crack that nut open...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri wrote: "Thanks for the detective work. You're so nice to us, going forth and risking all to check the writing before mentioning it in the thread. :D"

I do my humble best...

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Of all the books to show up under my Amazon "also looked at." I did look inside this one but shook my head when Aswan (modern name) was mentioned in the first paragraph. One Google-click and I had the ancient town...But I don't like to be associated with it. Unfortunately, there are several other books with the word "Khamsin" in their title that also show ripples and unlaced bodices. Ah well.

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Diana -- What a sight with my cup of morning coffee! Unfortunately, I belong in your first category of "too soon." Still, I laughed out loud as the image was a bit of a shock. I feel your pain! All we can do is hope for the discerning reader rather than the lusty one.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Inge H. wrote: "Of all the books to show up under my Amazon "also looked at." I did look inside this one but shook my head when Aswan (modern name) was mentioned in the first paragraph. One Google-click and I had ..."

Obscure remark......when I see the names Aswan and Khamsin, I think of Egyptian blood Arabian Horses. Some famous Arab horses carry those names. :-)
See, told you it was going to be an obscure remark.

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Terri,

I didn't want to "spam" - so I chose being obtuse... The title of my own novel is "Khamsin, The Devil Wind of The Nile," but there are several muscle-rippling Khamsin warrior-writings out there ... I didn't change my long-ago chosen title since my next novel is also a "windy" one.

Anyway, you all have given me some great reading suggestions. And I am still exploring the intricacies of the GR sites, since I also belong to the Poetry Group.

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited May 10, 2012 08:25PM) (new)

I found your book without any trouble yesterday by earching under your name.

Why change the title? You can't copyright titles (in the US), so it's katie bar the door.

When I firt put out one of mine, I was horrified to find that another book with an almost exactly the same name but a horror story had come out. And now that I'm on Kindle, I see a gay erotica novel with nearly the sam name.

I'm surprised, given your period, that you didn't have the High Priest of Ptah be Ranefer, of whom there is a splendid statue (two, in fact) in the Egptian museum.

I'm looking forward to your second book.

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Diana -

A propos 'Ranefer' Good question, but he lived in the 5th Dynasty; my book plays out at the beginning of the 1st. This is also why I never used "Memphis" - but Ineb-hedj (City of White Walls), the later Menefer (House of Menes) from which the Greek took Memphis.

By the way, are we the only two Egytpians left on here to continue this thread?

Wake up, Terri et al -- we need new sparks and readings.

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 14944 comments Inge H. wrote: "Wake up, Terri et al -- we need new sparks and readings. .."

Here I am! I am awake now. Although not on GR for long as I have a busy morning ahead of me.

I have noticed that Egyptian stories aren't as popular as they once were, say, after movies such as The Mummy were all the rage.
It is such an interesting area of history. Even I though, don't often read books set in Egypt anymore. The Wilbur Smith books were mostly all I read on Egypt in the past. Other than a few one offs by other authors here and there. And poor Wilbur, I don't even know if I would like him now as much as I liked him wayyy back then. I am a very different reader with very different requirements.

Makes me wonder how publishing houses that publish HF feel about books set in Ancient Egypt.
Do they have a 'only once a year' type elimination process? Or a 'preferably no Ancient Egypt fiction' process of elimination?
I simply never see HF set in Ancient Egypt anymore.

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Hello there, Terri --

Seeing on how many threads you are active, no wonder Diana and I have become lonely hieroglyphs on a thread. We had quite a lively discussion, though, on the usage of ‘original’ (who knows really what they were) names and places vs. now common ones. Hopefully, somebody is still interested in our subject.

If you are ever in the mood to get away from Wilbur’s sometimes surrealistic take on things back then, try to give Khamsin, The Devil Wind of The Nile, a look at Amazon (or Smashwords):

http://www.amazon.com/Inge-H.-Borg/e/...

Diana - how did you insert your thumbnail picture? I don't seem to be able to do it.

Inge

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited May 11, 2012 04:09PM) (new)

Inge H. wrote: "Diana - how did you insert your thumbnail picture? I don't seem to be able to do it..."

How did I do this?

Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile
Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile by Inge H. Borg

Easy. While composing, click on ADD BOOK/AUTHOR in middle right of the composition box. That will give you a new box where you type either the title or the author's name. In your case, I typed your book's full title.

It will bring up a thumbnail of your cover and you can select either the book cover or a link to the book.

I clicked to the link for the book, whih inserts this line of text (without the spaces aftr the colon and the vertical line):

Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile

If you want your cover to show, click the cover link. If you want both, do what I do: click on the link and then copy the text and add the word 'cover' after 'book', which gets you: [book cover: Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile|13477552] (again, I put in some spaces to disable the code).

By the way, Inge, with Paul Doherty, Christian Jacq, Michelle Moran and Pauline Gedge, along with the Lord Meren and the Inspector Bak (or whatever his title was) series, to name a few, there is a market for Egyptian historical fiction. My books aren't making me rich - but then I only put them out for publishing (after a run-in with a crook and a ten or so year dry spot) this past summer. But their sales have more than quintupled since then. It's a niche market

I'll respond to Terri's post next.

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 23, 2012 03:23PM) (new)

Terri wrote: "Here I am! I am awake now. Although not on GR for long as I have a busy morning ahead of me.

I have noticed that Egypt..."

As I said, It's a niche market. Some of the traditional pubishers were turning it down a while back. I don't know what they're doing now.
I do think that Wilbur Smith's non-researched garbage may well have whetted some people's appetites for Egyptian fiction. (Incidentally, I can accept that someone tells a darned good, colorful yarn and at the same time ay that his research is mud.)

Incidentally, there's a YA series based on Egypt breaking into modern times. Not quite paranormal; more like fantasy.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

River God (other topics)
River God (other topics)
The Seventh Scroll (other topics)
Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (other topics)
The Quest (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilbur Smith (other topics)
Michelle Moran (other topics)
Scott Oden (other topics)
Paul Doherty (other topics)
Michael Jecks (other topics)
More...