Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Like Water for Chocolate
This topic is about Like Water for Chocolate
Archive (Buddy Reads) > [Buddy Read] Like Water For Chocolate

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments Vi and I are going to read this beginning Friday November 4th if anyone would like to join us :)

Vi | 1778 comments I started Like Water for Chocolate today during lunch. I'm about 3 chapters in and I can safely say that I hate Mama Elena. Food is tightly woven into the story but I suppose you'll be probably enjoy it better, Fran. I'm vegetarian and most of these don't do anything for me except to make me want to eat chocolate. I'll wait for you to start and then we can discuss more :)

Vi | 1778 comments Another comment: I'm not liking Pedro. I'm getting irritated with him..

Vi | 1778 comments I'm done with this book - 2 1/2 stars. I can't believe this book..

message 5: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments Vi! My Friday has just started so I will read it in a little while, just getting my daughter off to school now. Can't wait to see what caused you to give it 2 1/2 stars and dislike everyone!

message 6: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments I read 3 chapters so far Vi. I agree that Mama Elena is loathsome- I just hate her. I did however enjoy the part about Gertrudis and the rose petal sauce! I am not really into the extreme detail the recipes are given but I am enjoying the touch of magical realism the 'added ingredients' are adding to the food.

Vi | 1778 comments Fran, I wanted to wait until evening to start the book but I did not want to work today - so I read it during the day itself.

Vi | 1778 comments Fran, how do you find the book?

message 9: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments Wow, Vi, I'm not sure what to say. It was disturbing but yet I couldn't put it down. I disliked many of the characters but liked most of the book. I was caught up in Tita's journey, as difficult as it was. I really enjoyed the magical realism aspects of the story. I didn't see that ending coming, that's for sure. I was seriously rooting for John the whole time! Pedro seemed so young and clueless.

What did you think?

Vi | 1778 comments I think this is the first magic realism book I've read. I picked it up without knowing so.

I don't know but I'm disliking Pedro very much. Such a coward. Haven't they heard of eloping? Even if not eloping, it makes sense that Mama Elena will most likely die before them. Instead of waiting, why does he marry the sister? It's causing pain to everyone.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the magic realism (pending the final scene). I liked Tita's growth most of all. I liked the way she finally stood upto Mama Elena and when she told off Pedro. And I sincerely wanted her to live with John. Poor John!

I really want to know the point of the last scene. Why?? I'm so bewildered.

message 11: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments I feel the same way! (view spoiler)

Vi | 1778 comments (view spoiler)

Fran, Sarah Addison Allen also writes magic-realism, right? Have you read her books? Please tell me they don't have ending such as thing..

message 13: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments I have read all of SAA's books and loved every single one. They all have HEA's, very uplifting stories. A lot of the same ideas in that food plays an important part but not so angsty, more fun and moves towards understanding, growth and love.

message 14: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments Definitely no endings like LWFC!!

message 15: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments And I agree about the lust part. I felt all along that that's all it was. She was only 16, he 18 when they declared their undying love for each other.

I did love Gertrudis' story. I was so happy she was strong enough to break the mold but I wish she had played more of a role in showing Tita the way!

Vi | 1778 comments That's great! I just bought a couple of her books to read soon. Whew!

(view spoiler)

Yep, I was expecting a better love story - at least a friends-to-lovers type but this! But then sustaining that relation illicitly for many years - I can't really buy that. Won't the servants know?

message 17: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments The Girl Who Chased The Moon and The Sugar Queen were my favorites by SAA, but I really liked The Peach Keeper and Garden Spells too.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Fran, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fran | 6411 comments I was surprised by the 'pact' the three of them made too. That had to be almost impossible to pull off. Maybe everyone just turned a blind eye.

Vi | 1778 comments I bought the Peach Keeper and the The Sugar Queen, I think.

Ha, yeah, that part was funny. (view spoiler)

I can't believe many will turn a blind eye on - especially the kid Espereza or something - she'd have an idea since kids are sensitive to stuff. But that is the least thing that bothers me here. But, for me, this whole 'pact' affair saddens me too.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Like Water for Chocolate (other topics)