Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Language & Translation Issues > 2011 Goodreads Choice Awards

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica, Features Editor (new)

Jessica Donaghy | 63 comments Mod
Hi Librarians,

We launched the 2011 Goodreads Choice Awards yesterday, and voting will continue until November 30.

Write-in votes are restricted to books originally published between Dec 27, 2010 - Nov 30, 2011 (December books will be eligible next year). We're directing members who believe the book they want to vote for has an incorrect date to this thread for help.

Books are eligible if published for the first time in the United States in English. This creates a particular challenge for books in translation that have original pub dates before 2011, but a new US edition in English in 2011.

Examples:
New edition of 1Q84 is eligible.
New edition of The Iliad is not eligible.

As a workaround, we've temporarily changed the original pub year of 1Q84 to 2011 and would like to do the same for any other eligible books requested by users. We know this isn't ideal, but until we have better data for languages, it is a quick fix. Thank you for your help! Let me know if you have questions/concerns.

If you change a date, please put a librarian note on the book and post the title here. I'll be keeping a list of books that need to be corrected when voting closes (November 30).

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 23810 comments Mod
That means any of the 2009/10 editions of such works won't be able to be edited (including cover image, description, etc.) between now and Nov. 30.

message 3: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 1015 comments Who corrects them after November 30?

message 4: by Jessica, Features Editor (new)

Moloch, I will keep a list and make the corrections. (If we get a flood of requests for such changes, I may ask for help. :) But I do not anticipate that to be the case).

message 5: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 1015 comments I know what I'll say will seem harsh reading it on a screen, I don't mean it to be so, but... don't count on me :-)

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 385 comments I haven't changed it, but someone might want to vote for The Map of Time.

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Gold (laurie-gold) | 2 comments I am a librarian here at goodreads and also a professional reviewer. Although Katherine Govier's The Printmaker's Daughter was published outside of the U.S. prior to 2011, it's U.S. publication date is in 2011. My ARC lists on sale date of November 22, 2011, and the copyright page lists copyright in 2011. This is the best book I've read in at least a decade. Is it ineligible because of the prior publication or is it showing as a December 2011 release?

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm not sure that a Canadian edition (in English) counts the same as a foreign-language edition. I'll check on that.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Jessica says it is eligible. I changed the first-pub date, and you should now be able to vote for it.

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Gold (laurie-gold) | 2 comments Thanks!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleym) | 147 comments I'd like to change The Piper's Son's original pub date - it was published in the UK and Australia in 2010, but the US edition came out in March.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Done.

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry Savill | 1 comments My vote in the 'Choice Awards' is for 'On Canaan's Side' by Sebastian Barry, which was published in September 2011, but is incorrectly catalogued in Goodreads as a 2006 release. Can someone please adjust the details of the book's release date so that it is eligible for votes. It is on the longlist for the current Man Booker prize.

message 14: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Confirmed and corrected.

message 15: by Kate (new)

Kate (jkatebee) | 1 comments I would like to point out that The Virgin Cure by Ami Mckay came out on October 25th 2011 and yet it is not eligible for voting. Goodreads suggests that it was first published in 2009 but I am quite certain that this is incorrect (I've been anxiously waiting and following the progress of it's publication for some time now). If someone could please look into this, that would be great!

message 16: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 235 comments I think you are right, on her page it says it is only available in Canada, and that is from October 25th, 2011. So, I'll fix it :)

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments The publication date for One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming shows as 2010 which is incorrect. Should be 2011.

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments A Lesson in Secrets: A Maisie Dobbs Novel by Jacqueline Winspear should have a 2011 publication date.

message 19: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 235 comments someone did both 17 and 18

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina | 3 comments No, both 17 and 18 show as first published in 2010 so they are being rejected in voting for 2011 books.

message 21: by Iluzija (new)

Iluzija O. Istini | 235 comments ok, if it is first publication, than say so :) i'll fix it right away.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (ratatosk) | 1 comments What's up with Terry Pratchett's Snuff not being eligible for nomination? Computer said it wasn't published in the right time period. It was published 10/11/11.

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 385 comments Laura wrote: "What's up with Terry Pratchett's Snuff not being eligible for nomination? Computer said it wasn't published in the right time period. It was published 10/11/11."

You don't have to write it in, that one has been nominated already.

Yes, it goes by original publication date.

Please include links to the books you're having problems with, it could be a specific edition that hasn't been combined yet.

message 24: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 2 comments I am fairly certain that Please Look After Mom was first published in English this year but the site is looking at the Korean publication date and won't let me vote for it. Thanks!

message 25: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Bonnie wrote: "I am fairly certain that Please Look After Mom was first published in English this year but the site is looking at the Korean publication date and won't let me vote for it. Thanks!"

Confirmed and temporarily changed first-pub date.

message 26: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 2 comments Thanks!

message 27: by Pat (new)

Pat | 2 comments I wanted to vote for "I TASTE FIRE; EARTH; RAIN: Elements of a Life with a Sherpa" as a write in for my favorite book of the year, and I get a message that says it was not published in 2011. The date in the book is 2011, and I believe it came out in June.

Thank you.

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Looks like B&N has it listed (incorrectly) as having been published 2001.

Fixed.

message 29: by Pat (new)

Pat | 2 comments Thanks Rivka! (I've always like that name).

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim | 585 comments I think it was also caused by there being 4 separate versions of the book. I combined them so they will all have the correct date.

message 31: by Robert (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:43PM) (new)

Robert | 1 comments "Three Seconds" by Anders & Roslund appears to have a first _US_ publication date of Jan 4, 2011, with this edition:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92...

However I seem to be unable to enter it as a write-in in the mystery category (there's no error message; the system just doesn't register my vote). Presumably this is because it has prior English-language publication date of 2010, but that was from Quercus, a UK publisher. Or perhaps it's because of the original Swedish publication in 2009.

message 32: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

First-pub date temporarily changed.

message 33: by Alison (new)

Alison | 1 comments I believe Sister by Rosamund Lupton should be eligible, with a US pub date of June 2011.

message 34: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Alison wrote: "I believe Sister by Rosamund Lupton should be eligible, with a US pub date of June 2011."

Confirmed. First-pub date temporarily changed.

message 35: by Craig (new)

Craig Harrison | 1 comments Hi, I wanted to vote for The Crippled God by Steven Erikson (pub: 1 March 2011) but it isn't being allowed.

message 36: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Pre-2011 edition is from the UK; first-pub date temporarily changed.

message 37: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (Vasilly) | 3 comments rivka wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I am fairly certain that Please Look After Mom was first published in English this year but the site is looking at the Korean publication date and won't let me vote f..."

I tried voting for Please Look After Mom but I'm unable to because of pub. date.

message 38: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You tried again after I made the edit?

message 39: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (Vasilly) | 3 comments rivka wrote: "You tried again after I made the edit?"

Yep! I tried to nominate it yesterday.

message 40: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The opening round may have already closed by then, I'm afraid. :(

message 41: by Natasha (new)

Natasha (Vasilly) | 3 comments rivka wrote: "The opening round may have already closed by then, I'm afraid. :("

Rivka, I know. Sadly it's a great book and deserves to be in the next rounds. :-(

message 42: by Ian (new)

Ian Irvine | 10 comments Does this also apply to 2012 books? Someone wanted to vote for my novel Vengeance but couldn't because it was published in Australia before the US.

Cheers

Ian Irvine

message 43: by Jessica, Features Editor (new)

Hi Ian. Yes, we're keeping track of 2012 books in this librarian thread.

message 44: by Amara (new)

Amara (AFTanith) Here's the 2012 version of this thread, Ian. You'll want to bring this up over there. :)

message 45: by Ian (new)

Ian Irvine | 10 comments Thanks, Amara and Jessica.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Iliad: (other topics)
1Q84 (other topics)
The Map of Time (other topics)
The Piper's Son (other topics)
Please Look After Mom (other topics)
More...