The Sword and Laser discussion

Sword & Laser Anthology

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:08AM) (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments At the end of the NaNoWriMo pitch thread, BillyIsMyName and Richard made the suggestion that we could turn the thread into a coffee table book. Depending on their exact meaning, this is either that idea, or an idea like it.

I can't speak for how many of you are/want to be writers (I'm in the "want to be" camp), but there were at least a hundred people with good ideas in that thread, and I was wondering if any other budding authors here would be interested in writing a short story (or pulling up an old short story) for a Sword & Laser Anthology.

If Tom and Veronica would be OK with overseeing it, the book could be put up for sale on Lulu and S&L might even make a bit of cash (for their hard work). Alternatively, any money could go to charity, or [the paperback] could be sold as cheaply as possible at cost price.

I would certainly be interested in having some of my work involved in a project like this, and there are certainly plenty of ideas in this community to fill a book of short stories.

Thoughts?

Update: You'll no doubt have heard, but since I started this thread Tom and Veronica have announced that there is going to be a Sword & Laser Anthology thing, so I thought I'd re-purpose this thread;

Are you going to write a short story for the book? Will it be Sword or Laser?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Clem | 76 comments I would love to think that I could write something for this. I would at least try!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (Pezski) | 401 comments I'd definitely be on for it. I guess an issue would be someone willing to be the editor, and take the decisions about what to include or not.

message 4: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Well, out of curiosity, I posed the question to Tom on Twitter, and he had this to say.

message 5: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Update: You'll no doubt have heard, but since I started this thread Tom and Veronica have announced that there is going to be a Sword & Laser Anthology thing, so I thought I'd re-purpose this thread;

Are you going to write a short story for the book? Will it be Sword or Laser?

I definitely will be, though I'm not sure whether it will be Sci-fi or Fantasy. I have a few half written stories cluttering my hard drive and at least as many unwritten ideas. I tend to lean toward sci-fi more than fantasy when I write, so I'll guess that for now.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2075 comments I'm a terrible writer, as evidenced in my 5 nanowrimo novels. But I'm awesome at editing, and would volunteer to help with that part.

message 7: by Tone (new)

Tone (tone_milazzo) I have a short story that I've been shopping around. I could contribute that. It's a survival post-horror that would have to be sword 'cause it ain't laser.

message 8: by Everitt (new)

Everitt | 56 comments I'm a semi-professional (as in, it pays some of the bills but not all of them) non-fiction writer. I've been working on fiction for a while so would like the chance to have some of my fiction reviewed for possible inclusion into an anthology.

Laser. Definitely lasers for me.

message 9: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I'm definitely in if they'll have me. My NaNoWriMo project is a collection of short stories, and I'd be thrilled to either include one of those in the anthology or write a new one for the anthology.

I post all my daily NaNoWriMo work on my blog at http://scribblingsfromthemist.blogspo... and I also have two of them complete at:
http://scribblingsfromthemist.blogspo...
http://scribblingsfromthemist.blogspo...

As for sword vs. laser, I like both. This particular series of stories is kind of steampunkish so I guess laser? But maybe feels more sword-like? But technology developed in a way that these people veered more toward the spear and staff branch of the weapons tree, then progressed on to pistols, so there are no swords. Knives, yes. Swords, no.

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay Crossler (jaycrossler) | 26 comments I'm in as well! I'm barreling towards my NaNoWriMo goal, but could either make a short-story version of part of the book or include one of the chapters in it. Fun!

message 11: by Michal (new)

Michal (MichaltheAssistantPigkeeper) | 290 comments I have a few short stories making the rounds, and it's been a few months since I sold anything, so maybe one of them could find a home here. (And hopefully contemporary settings are welcome)

Will there be an official submissions process with guidelines and everything? Or something more informal-like?

message 12: by ~ (new)

~ So is this officially happening?

What are we thinking the criteria will/should be RE: Length, Genre, Content, etc.?

I'll definately submit something eitherway and would also be happy to read some submissions / edit a couple if people want. Now that i'm out of Uni and don't have to edit i'm finding myself missing it a little.

Also, put me down for a pre-order.

message 13: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Luke wrote: "So is this officially happening?

What are we thinking the criteria will/should be RE: Length, Genre, Content, etc.?

I'll definately submit something eitherway and would also be happy to read som..."

The submission guidelines for Escape Pod look to be a nice fit for the general tone of S&L. To boil it down, it's basically between 2,000 and 6,000 (with the "sweet spot" being between 3,500 and 5,000), with little consideration given to extremist subject matters (ie, stories largely focused on rape, inceset, etc), though sexual content and strong language is fine.

I would have guessed the genre would be Fantasy or Sci-Fi.

Or... OR!

What about two volumes? A "sword" volume and a "fantasy" volume? I guess that would depend on how many stories get submitted.

message 14: by Tone (new)

Tone (tone_milazzo) How about one of those books that has two fronts instead of a back? One side sword, flip and twist- laser.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2075 comments Tone wrote: "How about one of those books that has two fronts instead of a back? One side sword, flip and twist- laser."
Love this idea! Like Only Revolutions by Mark Danielewski

message 16: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Tone wrote: "How about one of those books that has two fronts instead of a back? One side sword, flip and twist- laser."

That would be cool, I'd definitely be for that.

Although it wouldn't really translate with an eBook version, I guess they'd be two separate things?

message 17: by Tone (new)

Tone (tone_milazzo) The two sides should just be for the physical book, a gimmick to stand out from the ebook.

message 18: by ~ (new)

~ Surely something this special deserves the physical treatment, especially if that awesome cover idea is implemented.

Wonder what we need to do to get things rolling on it though, some sort of petition or other gauging of interest to see if the project is financially feasible?

The good thing about existing when we do is that even if publishing properly is going to be too expensive a process we can always resort to just releasing the eBook.

The reason that I brought up genre is because I have a story idea at the moment that may or may not be fantasy, depending on your personal definition. It does have swords though, so I guess it'll count. We can worry about that later.

message 19: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Luke wrote: "The reason that I brought up genre is because I have a story idea at the moment that may or may not be fantasy, depending on your personal definition. It does have swords though, so I guess it'll count. We can worry about that later. "

I'm sure if you feel that it falls into fantasy then it would, at the very least, be close enough for this project. But if you're uncertain, you could write a quick back-of-the-jacket style blurb and see what other people think.

message 20: by Jay (last edited Dec 08, 2011 06:11PM) (new)

Jay Crossler (jaycrossler) | 26 comments Is anyone taking the lead of this anthology? I think it's a great idea, and want to support it. I'd be most comfortable if we have Tom and Veronica's go-ahead, though.

I've finished my Sword and Laser book (actually titled Sword and Laser in honor of the same) book and have it online here for free download/anyone to help edit: http://j.mp/editJaysBook

message 21: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1281 comments Mod
Hey guys!

As we mentioned on the show, this is something we've been thinking about for years (really!).

It will happen officially at some point, but there are also some other big things in the works that are taking precedence right now.

Give us a couple of months, and we'll get moving on the anthology! I love some of the ideas here in this thread, you guys are awesome!

V

message 22: by Brad T. (new)

Brad T. | 217 comments you could always just self publish on a site like lulu.com. That's where I sell my cookbook from. They just print a copy when someone orders it.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2075 comments Brad wrote: "you could always just self publish on a site like lulu.com. That's where I sell my cookbook from. They just print a copy when someone orders it."
Link?

message 24: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1281 comments Mod
Brad wrote: "you could always just self publish on a site like lulu.com. That's where I sell my cookbook from. They just print a copy when someone orders it."

Tom has done that for some of his own books as well, so it's something we'll definitely consider!

message 25: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 796 comments I would like to submit the first pre order...

message 26: by Bryan (new)

Bryan | 18 comments I would definitely write something for this. I don't know that I'd envy the editor(s) choosing the best ones!

message 27: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Veronica wrote: "Give us a couple of months, and we'll get moving on the anthology! I love some of the ideas here in this thread, you guys are awesome!"

Maybe you could give us some rough guidelines on the kind of thing Luke was asking about (rough length, restrictions on language, violence, etc) so that we can write at our leisure in the meantime.

That way, when you guys are ready to take on the project, a bunch of us could already have some meticulously written/rewritten stories ready for consideration.

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Curtis (Kingtriton92) | 62 comments I would be happy to throw my hat on this pile. Give me submission guidelines and I will unleash my creative Kraken.

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 662 comments That's getting me all excited. I think I'd be ready to submit my MoD submission or maybe I'd go for something completely new.

I just finished my personal NaNoWriMo. Since I didn't manage to really get started in November, I just moved it to December and YAY! I made it.

So, now I'm all in writing mode and the momentum would be great to get something new started.

message 30: by Joseph (last edited Jan 06, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

Joseph John wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Give us a couple of months, and we'll get moving on the anthology! I love some of the ideas here in this thread, you guys are awesome!"

Maybe you could give us some rough guidelin..."

I second this movement ya' honour (British spelling :D), I would also like to ask if there is an agreed 'point' to the anthology, is it to raise money for charity, to get unknown writers published in some form, fun etc. :)

message 31: by Joseph (new)

Joseph As an FYI:

I noticed that www.fantasy-faction.com have done an anthology.

Perhaps seeing how they did that S&L could take notes and advice from them?

message 32: by Andy (new)

Andy Runton | 19 comments I don't write with words but I was a graphic designer in my previous life and have designed many books so I'm happy to volunteer design and layout help if any is needed.

The "flip-able" book is a great idea and if you need any help making it happen, just lemme know. :)

unread topics | mark unread