Interracial and African American Paranormal discussion

Strange Little Band: Two Psychics. One Mega-Corp. All-Around Bad Behavior.
This topic is about Strange Little Band
Reading Challenges > RC #21 - Strange Little Band

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Deva (DevaParanormal) | 945 comments Mod
Let's do it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I read it a few months ago, so I'd love to participate in the discussion.

What are you thinking so far, Deva?

Beth (Spectravel) | 22 comments I also read this book a few months ago and would love discussing it.

YAY! What a train wreck this relationship was! But it was one of those where I'm covering my eyes but peeking through my fingers ... Painful to watch but I was too engrossed to turn away, lol.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I totally agree, Deva.

(view spoiler)

Who would you cast?

I think Zachary Quinto would make a great Shane, and Naomie Harris as Addison. I think the little girl from The Game Plan with the Rock (Madison Pettis) would be a good Ashlynn, and the kid off Heroes as Jake (Noah Gray-Cabey).

Beth (Spectravel) | 22 comments I loved the Spock and Uhura pairing with Quinto in the last Star Trek. Absolutely LOVE IT. Read all the fanfiction I could get last year. Quinto was amazing. I know my husband was being silly but he's been teasing me of late that I was crazy about a pairing with an actor that came out. It didn't bother me but it sort of killed the fantasy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments Yeah I heard about that. He's sexy, even if he's not interested in women. I loved him as Spock!

Tina | 91 comments Ladies, I have been giving this book the side eye for months. I have been hesitant to buy it because I've heard so many things that kinda hint that it is a bit darker than I want to go. But is there an HEA? and HFN? What's the deal? I am so intrigued by it, but I need to prepare myself...LOL.

Beth (Spectravel) | 22 comments What's HEA and HFN?

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 91 comments Sorry. Happy Ever After or Happy For Now.

message 11: by Deva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Theirs both a HFN and HEA, lol. I promise, its a roller coaster. I put it down for a few days and picked it back up.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments Pretty much what Deva said. If you're patient, Tina, you'll get your happy ending.

message 13: by Deva (new) - rated it 3 stars

I talked a lot of ish about the book but I've read it several more times since the first time I read it. Definitely one of the strangest books I've ever read.

message 15: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth (Spectravel) | 22 comments A roller coaster of a ride indeed in relationshipville standards...if there are any :-)

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 91 comments Just need to peek in and say, I am so glad you guys convinced me to get this. Ha! Roller-coaster indeed. By all rights I should not like these people, but I am loving them!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments I'm glad you're enjoying it, Tina.

message 18: by Deva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anyone still reading this strange book? :-)

message 19: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 91 comments I finished it last week. Loved it. 4.5 stars for me.

message 20: by Deva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yea :-) what was your favorite part? Warn us about spoilers!

message 21: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina | 91 comments I didn't have a favorite part, per se. I liked the whole vibe of the book. I often wish that romance was less formula and more adventurous. This was definitely that. As a SF romance, it felt very much 'other' in a way not even PNR romances feel.

I wrote in my review of the book that the authors seemed to be gleefully, deliberately coloring outside of the romance lines while still delivering a true romance. I also dug the Romeo & Juliet subtext.

(view spoiler)

I thought the pacing was great and I liked the involvement of the kids.

My biggest negative was the ending. That part felt clumsy. Up to that point I thought the narrative had been pretty tightly plotted with some great plot continuity. But the ending fell apart. As a climax for something that the reader should have been fist-pumping with glee over, it fell short. It was all over the place, too much information shoe-horned in the 11th hour. (view spoiler)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 200 comments My theory on your second spoiler, Tina:

(view spoiler)

My favorite part was actually the kids' POVs. I think this added a very good layer to this book.

message 23: by Deva (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ive been here this long and have no idea how to do that spoiler thing, lol.

Anyhow, I thought the kids were too grown at too young of an age but at the same time ... When you have parents like that, it could definitely happen.

Interracial and African American Paranormal

unread topics | mark unread