Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Ender's Game discussion

Ender's Game movie coming out

Comments (showing 193-242)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 242: by Fairly (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fairly We just did a podcast discussing this movie and how it compared to the book. Lots of spoilers, but if you read the book you will be enjoy it I think. http://www.onefootover.com/fairly-cri...

message 241: by Oliver (new) - added it

Oliver Gerald wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

He is WAY too old, Ender is a kid Culkin is an adult. If you were going to do a series covering the books, you would need different actor..."

they are using Asa buttefield as ender he is the top notch

message 240: by Oliver (new) - added it

Oliver this movie will be great. OSC is my favorite author of all time.

Kenneth It's quite a good novella. I think the movie will NOT do it justice, but will present a suitable summer blockbuster in full Hollywood regalia. Look for lots of explosions, ominous soundtracks, and a moral message.

How will they end it? That will determine the quality of the film.

message 238: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I know the actors are older, but does anyone know how old they are meant to be in the movie? Obviously he's not the 5 year old he's portrayed as in the book, but it would be a very different story if they said he was 16. Is the actor 15 but they are portraying him as 9? 11? 13?

message 237: by Kylie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kylie Still hoping that this just fails somehow and doesn't come to be. I love the novel too much to see a horrible movie made. Regardless of how "good" it turns out, I wont watch it. Would hate to reread the book and envision the movie.

message 236: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Weigner I haven't read this yet, what's wrong with me?

Baylee Rae Mann Ross wrote: "The producers have started blogging from the set. http://endersgameblog.tumblr.com/"

omg thanks so much. i am following this for sure

message 234: by Ross (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ross The producers have started blogging from the set. http://endersgameblog.tumblr.com/

message 233: by Boris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boris Not just that. There are only so much time a kid is allowed to work. The younger the child, the less time it can spend working (union rules). That's why when it comes shooting very young kids, studios like to hire twins. This way they can double their working hours. And plus I am sure that filming a lot of battle room scences will be very time consuming and phisicaly demending.

VG/Allie Ed wrote: "IMDB shows the actor to play Ender as being 15 years old (kid from Hugo)and the actress playing Val is 14 (little girl from Signs). Casting does not look good."

I think they have to do the cast older 'cuz you can't get kids younger then that to do what you tell them to do.... trust me i know

message 231: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed IMDB shows the actor to play Ender as being 15 years old (kid from Hugo)and the actress playing Val is 14 (little girl from Signs). Casting does not look good.

Baylee Rae Mann agreed

message 229: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Excellent post Deborah.

D.A. misses no commercial use & opt-in Once upon a time, I would cringe at what movie/television adaptations of books would do. I am actually looking forward to seeing what is done with Ender--would rather see it as a mini-series like Game of Thrones though. (Despite title and a couple of character names I never even recognized Starship Troopers as Heinlein's book and don't even get me started on the LOTR Return of the King animated thing Salkind did where blood squirted across screen every few frames, Eragon, Lightning Thief--all badly, badly done). Some of the things that have changed my mind about screen adaptations include Jackson's Lord of The Rings, Pillars of the Earth, and definitely the ongoing Game of Thrones. If they will stick (even if having to skim or edit over some parts for time constraints) to the book's storylines and characters and budget accordingly to do graphics realistic to what books are portraying -- I'm all for it and we all have seen that it is possible.

message 227: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Great point about Game of Thrones! I'm on the 3rd book and have watched the first couple episodes of the show. GoT dwarfs Ender's Game in scope. The show, which is essentially a movie, is brilliant.

message 226: by Razvan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Razvan They found great unknown child actors for Game of Thrones and it worked more then good so I don't think it's impossible, as long as they don't cast 20y old actors to play some kids. As for the older characters I guess they could cast some known figure just to increase the veracity of the movie.

message 225: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake I really loved this book, but some books shouldn't ever be movies and this is one of them. Has anyone seen I am Legend with Will Smith? I'd read the Richard Matherson's book first and was really disappointed by the movie. It missed all the important parts of the book and that is what Ender's Game 'The Movie' would end up being.

Baylee Rae Mann i agree with that. i guess because i veiw movies as a complement rather than a disaster that ruins my veiw of the book. i can dscard what was wrong and use what was correct. isuppose i am cruious about the potential the books have for movies and how they wouldend up making them.

message 223: by Jake (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jake I don't think so. Only after Orson Scott Card is dead and his estate gets greedy. Some books need to just remain books.

message 222: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Steve wrote: "I think we can blame Indiana Jones on the script and not Harrison Ford. Hopefully the Ender script is in much better shape."

Agreed.

message 221: by Steve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve I think we can blame Indiana Jones on the script and not Harrison Ford. Hopefully the Ender script is in much better shape.

message 220: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I heard that Harrison Ford is going to be in the movie. I hope he doesn't do as bad as he did in the last Indiana Jones.

message 219: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex April the Cheshire Meow wrote: "All I care about is that the film makers don't mess this up. Omg, but they better NOT MESS THIS ONE UP!!!!! I'm still mad at Lucas."

I agree. This book was so great, I am nervous to see whether or not they can actually pull it off.

Heather IMDB has Asa Butterfield cast as Ender. He did a graet job in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (although the movie itself left much to be desired.) I hope he isn't too old for the role, as many others have stated he's got to be young.

Baylee Rae Mann it would be great if they did the enders shadow books, not all of them because there r so many. mabye evenspeeding them up to all go in one movie. that would be a long movie. but i would love to see. it. even if they did Ender in Exile that wuld be awsome.!!!! i gotta admit i was freaking out when i was readig the scene with Achilles(not really Achilles). at the end. i thougt hmight di for a second. i love ender, i hate it when my favorite characters die. stresses me out when im reading. (but i also hate bappy endings.there predictable)

message 216: by Juwita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juwita Plans to make the book into a movie have been going on for too long. I am so happy to hear that it's finally happening. I love the book and I can't wait for the movie. Let's just hope they don't mess it up too much.

The battle school training will be the scenes that I want to watch. Can't wait!

message 215: by Marc (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marc Have heard about it "in development" for years. Hopefully they do a better adaptation than Starship Troopers.

I agree with many comments here. It should be relatively unknown children in the main roles.

Baylee Rae Mann Debbie wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I don't think this has been posted to this thread yet:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

The ages for the kids look good."

It was posted as message 154. You new guys really..."

Really? That was so unnecesary and patronizing. Leave the girl alone. She was only trying to give new information. Instead of posting cnclusions about what those who have already read previous posts have figured out, an for those who havent then they will be learning something, how about you chill out and dont belitte people. its doesnt translate very well in type. sound mean actually.

Vannetta Chapman I'm glad they waited on this one. With better graphics, they'll be better able to get it right ... and I do hope the author is consulting on the film! Excellent read for all ages.

Marilize Thora wrote: "My nephew should be Ender! He is so cute and awesome an handsome and 6. I always thought of him when i was reading the book."

Then maybe he should audition

message 211: by Thora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thora My nephew should be Ender! He is so cute and awesome an handsome and 6. I always thought of him when i was reading the book.

Marilize Michael wrote: "Macaulay Culkin as Ender"

No, he's too old already.

message 209: by Debbie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debbie Audrey wrote: "Maybe they will do what they did with Percy Jackson and up the ages."

In earlier efforts to make the book into a film, the filmmakers wanted to up the ages so they could create a love interest. Every time Card turned them down. Its been critical to him that Ender be portrayed properly. That said, I think Butterfield is, indeed, too old and they needed to have gone with an "unknown" as they did with Harry Potter. They might also have a different actor play a "young Ender". IMDB, at this juncture, might not be showing that level of casting.

message 208: by Sierra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sierra I am extremely excited for this movie, the book is one of my all time favorites. If it turns out like Eragon or The Lightning Thief did, I will be heartbroken.

Baylee Rae Mann April wrote: "I've always thought it would be a great animation project, but still looking forward to the live action film if it does come out in 2013. However, Asa Butterfield will be 16 or 17 in 2013 and I thi..."

i think that Asa will look a lot yuonger in comparrison to the other actors. in the one old western show(the name escapes me) with the Cartwrites, all the other actors in the show had to be below a cerain height to make the faily look taller in the show. mabye the comparison to other older looking actrs will help with the age thing, andt will be shot bfore 2013 anyway, they will strt shooting soon, if they havent already.

Mary Jean Phillips The movie should be animated, not live action.

message 205: by Audrey (new) - rated it 5 stars

Audrey Lee I agree with an Ender that is 6-9. Maybe they will do what they did with Percy Jackson and up the ages. I hope not....I hope they can pull it off some how.

message 204: by April (new) - rated it 5 stars

April I've always thought it would be a great animation project, but still looking forward to the live action film if it does come out in 2013. However, Asa Butterfield will be 16 or 17 in 2013 and I think that is much too old- I want an Ender that looks 6-9.

Stephanie It's been a while since I have read the book, but I would really like to see how they do it too. With technology where it is now, as opposed to when the book was published, they have the opportunity to do an excellent job, so we'll have to see how it comes out!

I have only read this book so far, not any more into the series. I think I will pick up the rest of the series one day, just haven't yet. I think the book was excellent.

message 202: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Stephanie,
Thanks for the link again, because I too did not see it initially. I appreciate it.

I am very excited about this movie. Whether it will be good or bad, I will still go see it, and judge later. This book was epic for me, I LOVED the series and I can not pass up the opportunity of what they may do with it on the big screen.

Stephanie Debbie wrote: "You new guys really ought to read the past posts, at least a couple of screens full"

Ouch. I am sorry my skimming skills were not up to the task today. I saw neither the link nor the actors mentioned, so didn't think it was there. Geez.

message 200: by Debbie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debbie Stephanie wrote: "I don't think this has been posted to this thread yet:

The ages for the kids look good."

It was posted as message 154. You new guys really ought to read the past posts, at least a couple of screens full.

Stephanie I don't think this has been posted to this thread yet:

The ages for the kids look good.

message 198: by Tatiana (last edited Feb 14, 2012 10:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Looking forward to it, Although i dont want them to ruin the book.. They better have the actors at the right age.

message 197: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Andrew wrote: "hey tom

the Bering Strait theory no longer holds any water in academia

im sorry you didnt know that"

Really? I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, that's why I *rolled eyes*. So how did people get here? What are they teaching now?

message 196: by Gwynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gwynn White Terror! The thought that they could pull a Twilight on us! Please no... I think they should find an unknown actor like they did in Harry Potter.

message 195: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily No... Way.... It's about time!!!

message 194: by Andrew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrew Vice hey tom

the Bering Strait theory no longer holds any water in academia

im sorry you didnt know that

message 193: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Debbie wrote: "Baylee Rae wrote: "besides a true american in not from america anyway"

Sorry about the mixup. But the above statement is absolutely false. In accuracy,the only true Americans are Native Americans..."

Actually, Native Americans came across the ice bridge from Asia into today's Alaska and then down into North America. So really, nobody is from America. What a great discussion *rolls eyes*

« previous 1 3 4 5
all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Ender's Game (other topics)