Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
Archived "Buddy Reads" > The Princess Bride (Dec 5th)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 136) (136 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Oct 28, 2011 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 3219 comments Is anyone interested in reading The Princess Bride by William Goldman with me? I saw the movie years ago, and have been wanting to read the book for a while now. We could start December 5th, and decide the stop date later on.

The Princess Bride  by William Goldman

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 16590 comments Oh, that is a good book, ✿Michelle✿! More in-depth than the movie.

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments I would be interested. I've had it in my TBR list for ages and has been picked for me in the past as part of challenges, but never got to it.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments I'd be keen for a December buddy-read, so I'm in. I wasn't a big fan of the movie, so would be interested to see how it reads as an adult.

Michelle | 3219 comments Great! It's been on my TBR for a while now. I'll have to watch the movie again, but I'll wait until after we read the book.

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 5890 comments I've never seen the movie all the way through. I've only watched bits and pieces. I haven't read it either. If I can locate a copy of it, I'll join in.

Michelle | 3219 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I've never seen the movie all the way through. I've only watched bits and pieces. I haven't read it either. If I can locate a copy of it, I'll join in."

The more the merrier, I hope you find it Susan :)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) ok got me a ebook copy ☺

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 16590 comments Geez, I better find my paperback copy... I know I just saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 5890 comments Got a copy of this and am looking forward to reading it!

Michelle | 3219 comments I'm getting really excited to read this. We've got some great buddy reads coming up!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments lol! Woohoo Anomander!

Midu Hadi | 1645 comments *blushes* what?

message 15: by CaroB (last edited Nov 16, 2011 10:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments no, just think it's great that you're joining a few of our buddy-reads :-)

Michelle | 3219 comments The more the merrier!!!

Midu Hadi | 1645 comments Okayyy! A healthy doze of Lisa Kay does me good! :-)

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Getting excited to read this too!

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 16590 comments Anomander wrote: "Okayyy! A healthy doze of Lisa Kay does me good! :-)"

Awww! ☺

Michelle | 3219 comments I'll post the chapter/ question breakdown later on today for this one.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments You've still got a week Michelle, no rush :-)

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments We all ready to dive into this tomorrow?

message 24: by Heather (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Pamela, I just deleted my post because, I looked at Wikapedia and found that was all made up. lol. This writer is very clever. So nevermind what I said earlier. =) William Goldman did write this book.

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 5890 comments I'm ready! I should be caught up with Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh and be ready for this tomorrow :)

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I'm ready. I have it laying on my desk...waiting to be opened...lol

Michelle | 3219 comments We're all set. I'm not near my computer right now, so I'll post the schedule this afternoon. I mean it this time!!!!!!!!

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I started it but haven't got to the good parts yet ☺

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "We're all set. I'm not near my computer right now, so I'll post the schedule this afternoon. I mean it this time!!!!!!!!"

LOL! Looking forward to this buddy-read!

Michelle | 3219 comments Hey everybody. The version of the book I have doesn't have chapters listed, or numbered. I also have the 25th anniversary edition, that also says "the good parts version abridged by William Goldman." Can anybody with an ebook, or other edition give me a chapter breakdown? I'm reading now, and will post questions tonight.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments I'm not sure if everyone's version's is like this, but my e-book just has:

One - THE BRIDE (24)
Two - THE GROOM (39)
Three - THE COURTSHIP (42)
Four - THE PREPARATIONS (47)
Five - THE ANNOUNCEMENT (48)
Six - THE FESTIVITIES (107)
Seven - THE WEDDING (140)
Eight - HONEYMOON (161)

I'm assuming the parenthesis indicate page numbers, but they're not clickable, so will have to wait til I get to it.

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments Michelle...this is where I found my copy...The chapters are titled...hope it helps.

http://www.epubbud.com/read.php?g=FSR...

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Looks like my Kindle version has 260 pages.
Chapter One- The Bride starts on page 28; Chapter two - Page 52; Chapter Three - page 55; chapter four - page 63; chapter five - 64; chapter six - page 157; chapter seven - page 210; chapter eight - page 244

message 35: by Michelle (last edited Dec 05, 2011 04:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 3219 comments Thanks everybody, you guys are quick!! My version has a few extra chapters in it. Based on the chapter listing, with the exception of chapters 1 & 2, does anyone have any objection to 1 chapter per day, and me posting the first set of questions tonight? I believe there's only 7 or 8 of us doing this one. That way, we'll be done right on time for First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones.

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Dec 05, 2011 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle | 3219 comments Schedule

Date	Chapters	PPQ
12/5 1-2 Michelle
12/6 3-4 ?
12/7 5 Susan (susayq)
12/8 6 ?
12/9 7 ?
12/10 8 ?

PPQ = person posting questions

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 5890 comments That's fine with me. I probably won't start until tomorrow morning and won't be able to answer questions tomorrow night cause of the band concert my daughter is in. With that being said, I'll do the questions for ch5 on 12/8 :)

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments I think 3 and 4 can be combined into 1 day.

Michelle | 3219 comments Heather wrote: "I think 3 and 4 can be combined into 1 day."

I completely missed that. I'm updating it now.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5491 comments no worries Michelle!

Michelle | 3219 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "That's fine with me. I probably won't start until tomorrow morning and won't be able to answer questions tomorrow night cause of the band concert my daughter is in. With that being said, I'll do t..."

I changed the schedule. Would the 12/7 be ok?

Michelle | 3219 comments I'm getting my questions together now.

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 5890 comments Sure, Michelle. The change is fine :)

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments This works for me, Michelle!!

Michelle | 3219 comments Michelle’s questions to chapter’s 1&2 (I couldn't really come up with many.....)

1. Has anyone had the opportunity to see the Princess Bride movie before starting the book? If so, what are your thoughts on what we’ve read so far?

2. Does William Goldman’s style of writing really grab you? Or, are you finding that you have to work at getting a handle on it?

3. Was anyone else as impressed as I was with the amount of imagination it must’ve taken to come up with the following sentence which describes Buttercups feelings regarding the village boys?

“The beef-witted featherbrained rattleskulled clodpatted dim -domed noodle-noggined lunk knobbed boys.”

4. Buttercup and Westley really know how to profess their love for one another, don’t they?!

5. Was anyone just the least bit pleased when Westley closed the door without a word when Buttercup told him she loved him?

6. Westley says “as you wish” to everything that Buttercup asks of him. He says it means “I love you.” Am I only thinking that this is going to be one of the sweetest love stories ever?

7. What are your thoughts on Westley and Buttercups good-bye, and then news of his death?

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I have not seen the movie...
The more I read, the better the writing seems to get...
I was really impressed with the description of the village boys...Almost wish I could think of things like that...
I was so happy when Westley closed the door in her face...2 thumbs up....
I really didn't expect it to be a good love story, but I am wrong...I am actually getting into reading this book...
I was disappointed to hear (read) that he died...I expected him to find someone else instead of sending for her...

I think I will actually finish this book ahead of schedule...

Michelle | 3219 comments Anna wrote: "I have not seen the movie...
The more I read, the better the writing seems to get...
I was really impressed with the description of the village boys...Almost wish I could think of things like that...."

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was happy when Westley closed the door in Buttercups face. A part of me was thinking that Buttercup's behavior should be excused because she's young and immature. But that was a small, teeny, tiny part. Rude is rude.......

I'm thinking that I'll be able to finish reading this one much sooner than I expected.

message 48: by Heather (last edited Dec 05, 2011 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Michelle’s questions to chapter’s 1&2

1. Has anyone had the opportunity to see the Princess Bride movie before starting the book? If so, what are your thoughts on what we’ve read so far?

I've seen the movie in pieces, I don't think I've ever watched it all the way through, but I loved Billy Crystal's character so I hope his character is in this book! The book is just as quirky as the movie so far, so I'm glad that wasn't completely fabricated for the movie.

2. Does William Goldman’s style of writing really grab you? Or, are you finding that you have to work at getting a handle on it?
It's grabbed me and made me utterly fall for his is storytelling thus far.

3. Was anyone else as impressed as I was with the amount of imagination it must’ve taken to come up with the following sentence which describes Buttercups feelings regarding the village boys?

“The beef-witted featherbrained rattleskulled clodpatted dim -domed noodle-noggined lunk knobbed boys.”
I might want this as a tattoo. lol Yes I loved it, spoke of how I was feeling about my husband at the time I was reading it. Just don't tell him because I love him again.

4. Buttercup and Westley really know how to profess their love for one another, don’t they?!
I think it might have been two words over the top for each of them. ;-)

5. Was anyone just the least bit pleased when Westley closed the door without a word when Buttercup told him she loved him?
*raises hand* I snickered even, though I did feel a little bad for her.

6. Westley says “as you wish” to everything that Buttercup asks of him. He says it means “I love you.” Am I only thinking that this is going to be one of the sweetest love stories ever?
He's such a silent heart-breaker, but all in good ways. I'm looking forward to hearing more from him.

7. What are your thoughts on Westley and Buttercups good-bye, and then news of his death?
It felt so very rushed, but I understand that's how this writing is and his death felt a little off-handed in statement. I was sorta surprised that Buttercup didn't revert back to how she was before she realized she loved Westley.

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments Heather...I also felt Westley's death was rushed, I thought he would make it to America, then something would happen to him, or he would find someone else...less rude to him.

Michelle | 3219 comments Michelle’s answer's to chapter’s 1&2 ques:

I did see the movie, and I remember loving it. I'm really enjoying the extra tidbits that we're getting in the book. I'm one of those people that believe the book is always better than the movie.

It's definitely different from what I'm used too. But I'm enjoying it. It's like when someone is telling you a story and goes off on a tangent, but its not overdone at all in this instance.

I wish I could be so creative!!

They're the couple that I love to hate, LOL!

Shame on me, but it served her right!

What a good way to not only tell a person, but also show them that you love them!

I went straight to the kitchen to get some comfort food!!

« previous 1 3

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Princess Bride (other topics)
Slave to Sensation (other topics)
First Grave on the Right (other topics)
The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure (other topics)