}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

Miscellaneous > NaNoWriMo

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

Garrett (LifeIsDeBubblesUnderTheSea) | 1008 comments Mod
So, National Novel Writing Month is coming up, and I'm thinking about participating. I started to do it last year, but I never got anything completed. I might have an idea that I'll use this year though, and I got to wondering if any of you would be entering, maybe with some mermaid-themed ideas?

Maija Barnett (Maija_Barnett) | 10 comments Yes, I just signed up. I'm going to try and write the next book in my series. It's called Evening Tide, and it's the follow up to Black Waters, which was about mermaids. I don't know about writing an entire rough draft in a month, but I'm going to give it a try. Good luck to you Garrett!

message 3: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Guitar Chick (GuitarChick) | 1020 comments Mod
I'm doing it with a shape shifter story I started. I think the idea could use a little expanding. I'm quite excited, it's my first year doing it. And I'll have Florence + The Machine's new album to listen to while doing it.

message 4: by Emily , Merfreak & Tribute (new)

Emily  (emilimcg) | 249 comments Mod
I'm going to finally try it this year with a contemporary ya I've been thinking about for a while. I'm excited about it :D

Derrolyn Anderson I just heard about this from a blogger in Utah, which is weird, because it started up right in my own backyard.
I have book #4 of Marina's Tales mostly outlined, so I signed up to go for it. My first three books average about 100,000 words... we'll see how far I can get. May have to start on the 2nd though - depending on how much fun is to be had on Halloween night!
Here's to the muse coming to visit us all in November!!!

Zoraida | 77 comments I'm doing it also. Gotta work on that Book 2

message 7: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

I'm excited for NaNoWriMo. Can finally start on my monster-fighting mermaid story. I think I finally worked out the kinks, so here's to finally starting writing! (Although I don't have a set title yet. I have a few ideas, and the one I'm using now sounds like the title of a book already out that's kinda similar to mine. So yeah...that'll be changed. Right now I'm just focusing on writing.)

message 8: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

If any of you want to have someone look over your final product for edits I'll be happy to oblige. I may not get all the way through but I'll help in anyway I can.

Derrolyn Anderson Almost halfway over and I'm only up to 15,722. How on flipping earth does anyone ever get to 50,000?

message 10: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Lucky you, I've only got about 9,000.

Derrolyn Anderson I don't know... I guess I thought it would be a whole lot easier to keep up the pace. I mean, I started out with a boatload of notes and an outline! I think I stop to edit way too much. I need someone standing over me with a cattle-prod to keep me from drifting away to surf the net.
Hey! Oceanic metaphors...
Back to writing.

message 12: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'm procrastinating too. I already had bits and pieces of the story written but it's getting harder to keep up.

Derrolyn Anderson I hear that. I'm blaming it on my one finger typing method.

Maija Barnett (Maija_Barnett) | 10 comments I'm having the same problem. I'm the worst typist ever, and if I don't go back and check everything I'll end up with a ton of pages that look like they're written in a foreign language. I think I'm just going to try and get as far as I can, and then I'll keep up the pace until I finish the book.

Derrolyn Anderson Spell check, grammar check & word processing - couldn't live without them.
I have serious respect for anyone who wrote anything before they came along!

Maija Barnett (Maija_Barnett) | 10 comments Ditto!!!!!

message 17: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Mine seems to be doing ok, although I've only got about 11,000 words.

Zoraida | 77 comments I'm trying to think of how in the world I did it last year.

*keeps writing*

message 19: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I've only got like 14000 words. It's bothersome.

Derrolyn Anderson 24,457 poorly edited words. Ten days left... Thanksgiving houseguests looming...

message 21: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I think the best part about NaNo is that it doesn't have to be edited, but by this point, I'm so honed in on editing it's almost impossible not to edit.

message 22: by Derrolyn (last edited Nov 21, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

Derrolyn Anderson I worked a few precious hours tonight and mostly just edited. I can't seem to stop! This really forces you to hold a mirror up to yourself, so maybe NaNo's true value is as a sort of writing ink blot test. KNOW THYSELF!
Best of luck to all of you for being out there striving!

Ryan (MKSheppard) | 39 comments You're doing better than I am. I set myself a goal for making a significant contribution towards a stalled POTC4 fanfic featuring our favorite duo; but family issues so far this month have resulted in zero words being written.

Derrolyn Anderson UNCLE

message 25: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

What?

I failed NaNo. The end.

Derrolyn Anderson Not even close here, but I'm glad a took a stab at it. It does get you thinking about being more disciplined.

"Uncle" is old-school for, "I give up!"

Can you make me feel any older than I already do? :)

message 27: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Hey, I just didn't know! :)

Danae (danaenicole) | 44 comments i failed miserably at nanowrimo. finals week and then thanksgiving took all my time and now i'm out of the habit of writing daily. i was really only "testing the water" this year anyway. i'm planning on actually giving it 100% next year and seeing what happens. it wasn't quite as hard as i thought it would be.

Howard Parsons (HowardParsons) | 149 comments Derrolyn wrote: "Not even close here, but I'm glad a took a stab at it. It does get you thinking about being more disciplined.

Can you make me feel any older than I already..."

OR you could be referring to "The Man from U.N.C.L.E"!

Talk about feeling "old"!

Open channel "D", please.

message 30: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Danae wrote: "i failed miserably at nanowrimo. finals week and then thanksgiving took all my time and now i'm out of the habit of writing daily. i was really only "testing the water" this year anyway. i'm planni..."

Same here, ha!

Derrolyn Anderson Howard wrote: "Derrolyn wrote: "Not even close here, but I'm glad a took a stab at it. It does get you thinking about being more disciplined.

Can you make me feel any old..."

Channel"D"? Huh? I don't get it.
Now I feel stupid. Old and stupid.

Howard Parsons (HowardParsons) | 149 comments Derrolyn wrote: "Howard wrote: "Derrolyn wrote: "Not even close here, but I'm glad a took a stab at it. It does get you thinking about being more disciplined.

Can you make ..."

Derrolyn,
My apologies. Back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth - a.k.a. the mid 1960's - it was the era of James Bond, spies and secret agents who came complete with a whole host of miniturised gadgets. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was no exception. Whenever Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn)need to communicate with HQ, he'd take something that looked like a ball-point pen out of his pocket and twist the top. You'd hear an electronic chirp and Robert Vaughn would say "Open Channel D" and talk with his handlers at HQ. It implied that they were using communications satellites though we had not quite perfected ones with geosynchronous orbits yet.

And THAT is where "Open Channel D comes from".

Derrolyn Anderson Hi Howard,
Thanks for clearing that up! I missed that particular series, but I did have to run from the dinosaurs on my way home from school.
I often tell my daughters tales of the olden days, just to see the shocked expressions in their eyes. Yes, back in the days when children walked the streets unattended, fireworks were freely available, no-one wore seat belts or bicycle helmets, and even my high school had a sanctioned smoking area.
Happy writing to all... I think my next book will be a period piece.

Zoraida | 77 comments Who is trying their hand at this again? I am trying to work on Book 3 (unofficially) of Vicious Deep series.

message 35: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

I thought about it, but I've already missed the first few days. I've got a really awesome idea involving the darker side of fairy tales, but I'm not sure, though I have some really good ideas.

message 36: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'm working on a modern day noir thriller! I've got about five thousand words. I'm very proud.

message 37: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

Sweet! That's impressive, GC! My problem is I can create these great characters and develop a huge world but I never seem to know how to start. :-\

message 38: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

That's a problem for me too. I create all these really intricate characters and this really cool setting, and then I lose interest or something like that.

Zoraida | 77 comments 5k?? That's impressive! I suggest starting in the middle. "Interview" your characters until they tell you what their day to day is. This might lead you to the inciting incident that leads you to the rest of the story.

xoxo Z

message 40: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Good idea! Hope yours is going well!

message 41: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

Zoraida wrote: "5k?? That's impressive! I suggest starting in the middle. "Interview" your characters until they tell you what their day to day is. This might lead you to the inciting incident that leads you to th..."

I should do that. I used to do similar exercises. Maybe I should continue that; I got better results when I spent more time with my characters.

message 42: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

It's that time of year again! Is anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo this year? I'm doing it, and my work in process is an adult novel about mermaids. Anyone else deciding to join the NaNoWriMo of 2013?

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 81 comments Every month is NaNoWriMo for me, lol.

message 44: by Guitar Chick, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'm doing a gender-reversed version of Les Miserables this year and couldn't be more excited.

S.K. Munt (wordwhisperer) | 81 comments cool!

message 46: by Garrett, Forever Mermaid-Obsessed (new)

Guitar Chick wrote: "I'm doing a gender-reversed version of Les Miserables this year and couldn't be more excited."

That sounds amazing, GC!

C.S. Moore | 11 comments I won last years nanowrimo with my YA Mer book, Landlocked. I'm trying to decide what I want to do this year. A sequel, or something new... I can't decide what I will be writing, but I will be participating :)

Dorothea | 16 comments I'm using NANO to write the first draft of the sequel to my first YA mermaid book. This story happens after the talMer and arkMer have joined forces and disrupted the Atlantic, obliterating human life on both coasts. The protagonist (a half talMer, half human) will be hitchiking on foot (with her obvious scales and kaleidoscope eyes and tentacled hair) to a Delaware reservation where she is trying to return the lost boy she found who survived the tsunamis. Need to do lots of research on Delaware and Cherokee legends as well as the Pacific Coast. Should be fun and a good distraction from waiting on all those queries:)

}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things...

unread topics | mark unread