Between the Lines discussion

Modern Fiction & Authors > Jodi Picoult

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah (LeahSu) I've been taking some flak lately because I don't think Jodi Picoult is a great writer. I did like "My Sister's Keeper" but every one I read after that (The Tenth Circle, The Pact, and some other ones I can't remember) seemed all the same. Like I was reading the same book over and over again.

Am I alone in thinking she's not all that exceptional?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought keeping faith but haven't read it yet. I've heard wonderful things about my sister's keeper. I'll let you know when I start/finish keeping faith.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill It is hit or miss with Jodi Picoult. I liked Plain Truth, Perfect Match and My Sister's Keeper but couldn't finish The Pact and I heard The Tenth Circle finishes with some kind of riddle that you have solve to know the ending.

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) I really enjoy Picoult, but I think her books are a bit formulaic. Once you get the general jest of her writing style, you can know there is always going to be a big dilemma, a love story, a hug twist, and some tears.

Kind of like Nicholas Sparks...someone always falls in love and the love interest is always either seriously injured or dies.

Not saying Picoult's books are like that, just that they're predictable as well.

I am, however, a fan and really enjoy all of her books thus far (well, that I've read...My Sister's Keper, The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, Second Glance).

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (LeahSu) I think I share the majority of the thoughts! Formulaic is the perfect word. Someone told me I should read "Plain Truth" because it's not like some of the others, so maybe I'll give her another chance.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments I agree that she follows a pattern. Her "Nineteen Minutes" was predictable, but not. As a teacher it forced me to think harder about the children in my room, and pray harder for each of them.

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I like Jodie....but I read her as a light read...her latest book is about wonder woman... I generally like her books though

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I really loved My Sister's Keeper and have read a few others I like, the thing I do with her books is read them quite a while apart from each other because yes, I do find that the books tend to go along the same lines. I still don't mind picking them up every now and again though.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Fireheart223) | 5 comments I'm just starting on Second Glance, and this is the first Jodi Picoult novel that I've read. I also have Keeping Faith in my to-read pile. I'm not far enough into it yet to say if I like it or not, but so far it seems to jump around to a lot of characters and that seems to make it a bit confusing.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I started my sister's keeper so far I like it.

message 11: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 14 comments On of my favorite authors, I have read all of her books, except the first. I started THE HUMPBACK WHALE, but did not like it.

message 12: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 14 comments On of my favorite authors, I have read all of her books, except the first. I started THE HUMPBACK WHALE, but did not like it.

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I loved My Sister's Keeper. But after that I read Harvesting the Heart, Salem Falls, and The Tenth Circle and I sort of felt like I was rereading the same book over and over.

message 14: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs (PetraX) I liked My Sister's Keeper best. I didn't like the Pact very much, Vanishing Acts was ok, as was Salem Falls. I liked the Plain Truth. Especially the ending - I generally don't like the endings of Picoult's books, they are either lame or like My Sister's Keeper, a cop-out. I didn't like Mercy very much and recently read the Tenth Circle which was better, but I think I've had enough of Jodi Picoult now.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm reading My Sister's Keeper and so far I really like it.

message 16: by Christina (new)

Christina I've read 'My Sister's Keeper' and 'Nineteen Minutes' - I liked them both but I think 'My Sister's Keeper' is the best. That's also the first Picoult book I've read. I don't think she's a great writer - but she knows how to write books with cliffhangers in them that just drag you along all the way through...

message 17: by Daybook (new)

Daybook I like Jodi Picoult but after a few books it seems she writes to a formula and after that it becomes boring.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe she is one to read a book a year so their is variety? I've only read My Sister's Keeper. I have Keeping Faith and really need to read that.

message 19: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) She is hit or miss with me as well.I do like the formula at times because for some reason i'm drawn to heart wrenching themes.I read her occasionally if a book sounds interesting.I have read enough to consider her a favorite though.I did not like The Pact,Tenth Circle but loved My Sister's Keeper,Nineteen Minutes,Change of Heart.

message 20: by April (new)

April (escapegal) I read Mercy and Picture Perfect; didn't really care for either of them...everyone seems to love My Sister's Keeper, but I can't make myself read it. Should I? Will it change my mind about Picoult?

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina I'm currently reading a writer I think are a bit similar to Picoult, Michelle Richmond. The book is called The Year of Fog and is about a 6 year old girl who disappears. It's told by her soon-to-be-stepmother, the one who took her eyes of her for a few seconds, the day she disappears.
For me, it's not quite the same pace as Picoult's novels but the diving into a tragedy happening to a completely normal family, feels like Picoult. I think that I actually might like Richmond's way of writing better... I second Lilly's view of Picoult as a great airplane author!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Christina: that sounds like a really good book. I'm going to have to try it.

message 23: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T Christina I have that book. I've picked that book off my bookshelve twice and both time put it back to read something else. So I'm intersted in what your thoughts after you finish The Year of Fog.

message 24: by Christina (new)

Christina Well, I liked it. I read it fast because I was very curious as to what would happen in the end - would they ever find Emma again - or even just know what happened to her?
I thought it was very well written and I liked that it was told from the point of view of the fiancée who lost the little girl. I gave it three stars because I thought some of the plot twists were too easy...

My full review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33...

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Fireheart223) | 5 comments I'm looking foward to her next book, Handle With Care. It sounds like it'll be interesting. Due out in March.

message 26: by Val (last edited Feb 12, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

Val (Valz) | 2 comments I just read Change of Heart and did not like it very much, neither did my book club. My review (short) : http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...
This was my first Picoult book and may be my last, although Plain Truth and My Sister's Keeper were liked in my book club.

Christina, The Year of the Fog, sounds like The Deep End of the Ocean which was one of the best books I ever read on an airplane. The movie is just dreadful but the book is excellent.

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Fireheart223) | 5 comments I also added The Pact to my to-read pile.

message 28: by Jaime (new)

Jaime I enjoy Jodi's books, for the most part. I definitely wouldn't classify them as great literature or anything like that, but I do find them entertaining, which is a big reason why I read. I enjoy the social/moral dilemmas she presents. However, I did not like Keeping Faith at all. Emilee, if you haven't read it yet, pick another one! I am also in the minority of Jodi fans for not loving The Pact. My favorites were My Sister's Keeper, Plain Truth and Nineteen Minutes. Her newest book, Handle With Care, comes out on March 3rd and the topic seems interesting to me. It's about a child who is born with some type of genetic issue that creates difficulties for her in life. She's in need of lots of medical care. Her parents apparently decide to sue the OBGYN for not telling them about the diagnosis before she was born. Apparently they sue for the money it costs for her care. In order to sue, they need to say that if they had known they would have terminated the pregnancy. The topic definitely takes me out of my comfort zone. I think it'll be interesting to see what Picoult does with it.

unread topics | mark unread