Fans of Southern Literature discussion

The Devil All the Time
This topic is about The Devil All the Time
Donald Ray Pollock

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tony | 5 comments Has anyone read Donald Ray Pollock? The Devil All the Time is billed as Southern Gothic. The book is still only available in hard cover and there aren't many reviews. If you have read it, I'd like to know what you thought about it.

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments It was recommended to me by a friend here on GR and it is supposed to be worth 5 stars. I definetly trust their opinion.

Tony | 5 comments Eric, I have a copy of the book now. I think it will live up to the five star rating. When I finish Twilight, by William Gay, I'll start this book.

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments Let me know what you think I have been eyeballin that one for a while.

message 5: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Dyer | 1 comments That's my favorite book so far this year, absolutely love it. Great characters, plenty of convoluted black humor.

Tony | 5 comments Publisher's Weekly just listed this book in the top 10 books of the year.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 6 comments Thanks for posting the heads up for the Publisher's Weekly top ten books of the year. I'm looking at the description for Twilight, William Gay and it sounds twisted... Like Tennessee Williams meets Stephen King meets early Cormac McCarthy. Plus the price is right at under $5 for Kindle.I'm downloading a sample right now.

Going to also check out The Devil All the Time.

Woo hoo.

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments William Gay is fantastic!

Tony | 5 comments I agree, Eric. Twilight has been a great read. I am coming to the end and I hate for it to be over. Here's the link for PW Best Books of 2011 (Pollock) http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

message 10: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric (Balsagoth) | 64 comments Thanks I will definitely check it out.

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary | 54 comments I saw Polluck in person, sorta by accident. He read a short story he wrote when we saw Chuck Palanick (excuse me, spelling?) . Great story!

message 12: by David (new)

David (crzydjm) | 9 comments Hilarious that you had to insert (by William Gay) into your comment to let us know it wasn't a sub-par tale of sparkling teenage vampires :-)

unread topics | mark unread