Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry

Comments (showing 1-50 of 58) (58 new)    post a comment »

Farrah | 212 comments Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine

I just took this out from the library as I love soul food and read other reviews and heard it was great. I already have about 15 recipes marked that I want to start making asap! He has a creole-tempeh over grits that looks DIVINE!

Plus my favorite thing about the cookbook so far is that he has songs, or "soundtracks" on every recipe page and I love music and learning about new music.
I am so excited to work with this book.

Anyone else try any of the recipes yet?

message 2: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1800 comments Mod
I liked reading this book too, Farrah. Thanks for starting the thread. It was a library book and (as is typical for me) I read it but didn't actually make anything from it.

Our Goodreads member Rachel, really liked this one, didn't you Rachel?

I'm lucky to live in an area with a vegan soul food restaurant. I've been twice and even though it's across the bay I'm happy to go back, many times:

http://souleyvegan.com/

Their food is amazing, but Bryant Terry's looks delicious too!

emszy | 60 comments I've recently just got a copy of this book too. Also very keen to try it out as I am not familiar with Southern Cooking. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Farrah | 212 comments Oh that is awesome Lisa that you have the soul restaurant close to you. I am still searching out vegan restaurants near me. There are not many. The one many vegan/veg place is about 40 miles away. And the food is good not great. The service is horrible, which is about right for NJ lol. The owner and servers are aloof and just couldn't be bothered to be friendly to you.
We have a sushi place we go to that is close by and have vegan sushi. But I would love to go to a good vegan restaurant. JLgoesVegan reviews a lot of the NYC vegan spots and we head into to New York about once every month or so. But it is a drive for us. I think for Christmas I am going to check out that Cocoa V with friends. It is a vegan wine and chocolate bar and they serve Dr. Cow Aged Cheese!

message 5: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Farrah wrote: "and we head into to New York about once every month or so. But it is a drive for us. I think for Christmas I am going to check out that Cocoa V with friends. It is a vegan wine and chocolate bar and they serve Dr. Cow Aged Cheese!"

Oh, you are so lucky. I haven't been to NYC in decades and am dying to go. I'd probably need a few months there though. I think there are 74 all vegan restaurants. I have heard of Cocoa V. I'd definitely want to go there for the chocolate desserts.

Farrah | 212 comments I love NYC. It was great when I used to work there. When my husband and I moved from norht NJ I made him promise me we would still head into NY regularly. LOL. We have been going to Philly a lot more lately, but nothing can compare to my NYC.

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments YES! I have this Bryant Terry's cookbook, too!
Lisa, at first I thought you said (in message #2), "their food [talking about Souley Vegan] is amazing, and Bryant Terry looks delicious, too!"

and I was going to heartily agree with on both counts, as I think Bryant Terry is a very handsome man!

LOL! Not to objectify anyone, of course, it is totally meant as a compliment! Then I re-read, and saw that you said "Bryant Terry's" meaning that the FOOD in Bryant Terry's book looks delicious! Ha ha! So it was just me having my mind in the gutter. :)

ANYWAY ... YES! Farrah, I have the book
Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine, and yes, I am Southern, and YES, I love Soul Food, and YES, I want to try recipes!!!

If you're up for it, I would love it we could pick some recipes that we both will make, and we can make them during the same week, and then report back on how we liked them. How does that sound? How about if you pick the recipes we should make for next week? I'm thinking like if you would pick a full dinner worth of recipes ... you know appetizer, sides, main dish, and maybe even a dessert ... than I will try to go along with you and make the same ones from the Vegan Soul Kitchen book, during the same week. What do you think?

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Oct 29, 2011 01:10PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Also ... I LOVE NYC, too! Jeff and I went there in May 2009, and I dragged him all over town on a "Tour de Vegan." It was awesome because we went trekking all over the city, from one vegan / veg place to another. I think we managed to check out about 10 vegan / veg places in just a few days ... and that was not all we were doing ... we were there for a big swing dance festival and Memorial Service for the Ambassador of Lindy Hop, Franking Manning. We stayed about 3 nights at the New Yorker in mid-town.

And then we spent a couple nights with Jeff's friend in Harlem. I loved it in Harlem, there was a fabulous vegan raw food restaurant run by African-American peeps, right by the subway station. They were offering raw food cooking classes ... which made me daydream about taking time off from work and spending a few weeks in Harlem, taking those classes and just enjoying New York. I love that city!

message 9: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Sounds fantastic Rachel!

message 10: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Rachel, Ha!

Yes, I'm dying to go to NYC. I feel as though I'd need a good month there to sample (not even) all the vegan restaurants, museums, library, Central Park, etc. etc. etc. I have many fond memories of the city. I might have to find a sublet for a long period. I think it would be frustrating to be there for only a few days or a week or even a couple weeks.

Mona (recordbreaker) | 9 comments I had complained about the town I live in now because of lack of vegetarian restaurants. Whoopie! I leave the 31st for California to visit my daughter, who knows a lot of places to find vegearian or vegan food. I can shop in Trader Joes and Whole Foods!

Farrah | 212 comments Any of you ladies come to NYC...I would love to meet up for some vegan nosh! (If you'd have me to lol)

Rachel...FANTASTIC IDEA! I love it!! YES YES YES! Let's do some Bryant Terry recipes. I will look through the book tomorrow and pick some out. Tell me which one's you want to try too. I really want to try his grits recipes for sure. And some good ol' cornbread.

I used to work up in Washington Heights in Manhattan (Like W 168th street). I was a therapist at a men's mental health shelter and to de-stress after a long day we would go to a one of a few "soul" kitchens in the city. I miss those days, of course now, I wouldn't be able to eat at them but oh such good food and such good friends. I actually wrote a story about it for Chicken Soup for the Soul that I am waiting to hear back on. Cornbread can seriously heal the soul's sorrow!

message 13: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Mona wrote: "I had complained about the town I live in now because of lack of vegetarian restaurants. Whoopie! I leave the 31st for California to visit my daughter, who knows a lot of places to find vegearian o..."

Mona, That's great. Near to any large California city you're going to find many veg*n dining out options!!

message 14: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Farrah and Rachel, I can't wait to hear about what you've made from Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine and what you think. The more dishes, the more info we'll get, and the more you'll get to eat. Win win.

message 15: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Darn, I wish I had this book so I could cook with you too!

Farrah | 212 comments Lee get it from the library. That is where my copy is from.

message 17: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Duh! of course. I just checked and they don't have it. That's okay. I'll join you on another book. Wouldn't it be fun if we picked a different cookbook every month or two and all cooked a recipe from it?

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Yes, love the idea, Lee!
Farrah you have carte blanche to pick the recipes; I am eagerly awaiting my assignment. Heh heh!
I like the element of surprise as we don't know what Farrah will pick.
Of course it's not just for me, if anyone wants to participate and cook along with us, please join right in ...

message 19: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Oct 29, 2011 09:42PM) (new)

I just reread my review of this book, my 1,000th review on Goodreads I noticed, and I got hungry reading the recipes that interested me.

Unfortunately, this was a library book for me. Otherwise, I'd mail my copy to you Lee, but no can do.

Bryant Terry is a Goodreads author member. Rachel or Farrah or anyone else participating in this group activity, do you want to invite him to this group? We could add his book to our group-member-authored-books shelf: http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

Edited to add: Make that books plural.

Farrah | 212 comments That sounds like a great idea!!

message 21: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Farrah, That's so nice! Now Lee can participate, and anyone else who can't get the actual book.

message 22: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Sure! That sounds like a great idea. Thank you Farrah! I'll pm you my email. Awesome!

Farrah | 212 comments Hey ladies sorry about the delay. My brother in law called us yesterday in a panic because the storm did some serious damage to the property and his house. My husband had to head up to his house (about 21/2 hrs north) to help out. So yesterday was a little hectic.
But I looked through the book this morning and here are the recipes. ...(Make one or all...I am going to make some substitions and will note after I make it. Like instead of fresh corn, I am using frozen, etc...)

1. Cajun-Creole Spiced Tempeh pieces w/creamy grits. Page 10 ** If you are not of fan of tempeh or can't get it freel free to substitute something else.

2. Sweet coconut-ginger creamed corn Page 108

3. Sweet cornmeal-coconut butter drop biscuits Page 158

4. coconut -pecan pralines Page 193

(Think I had coconut on the brain this morning? LOL)

Let me know when you want to do this. How about this Saturday? Weekends are better for me to cook a lot of dishes. But whatever works for all of us is good too.

Lee message me your email. I still own you an email from your blogpost. I have been thinking a lot about your post which is why I haven't sent it.

Yaay! I am so excited about this. AND...Nano starts tomorrow!

message 24: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

For those who do not have this book, and if like me you don't like tempeh OR coconut, here's a list of recipes without either, ones in which I had particular interest, just so you can see a bit more of what's available:

many of the stocks, the mixed-mushroom gravy, the cumin-cayenne mashed potatoes with caramelized onions, the Cajun-creole spice blend, the quinoa-quinoa corn bread and the garlicky cornbread croutons, the little potato and sweet potato pancakes, the baked sweet potato fries with ginger-peanut dipping sauce, the garlicky baby lima bean spread, the roasted red potatoes with parsley-pine nut pesto, the rosemary-roasted tofu cubes, creole hopping John, the savory triple-corn grits, roasted root vegetables with roasted garlic-lime dipping sauce, chilled and grilled okra, corn, and heirloom tomato salad, chilled citrus-broccoli salad, sautéed jalapeño corn, the creamy potato soup with rosemary oil and crispy rosemary, the peach salsa, the Soul on Ice pops (with watermelon juice), and the citrus collards with raisins redux

There are so many more!

They make me contemplate turning this from a library book into an owned book.

Farrah | 212 comments Mmm...yes I was thinking of the rosemeary roasted tofu cubes too...

Bryant | 1 comments hi everyone. i am raising my newborn daughter and putting the final touches on my new book--the inspired vegan--so i will not be able to make recipes with you. but i simply want to thank you for supporting my work. all best.

message 27: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Hi Bryant. Thanks for commenting. Best wishes with your new book, and have fun with your daughter.

message 28: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Bryant, I put both your books on our member-authored shelf, so I hope you stick around in the group, even if you're not able to participate.

message 29: by Farrah (last edited Oct 31, 2011 07:33PM) (new)

Farrah | 212 comments Ok looking through the book again these are the recipes (Make one or all)

1. Cajun-Creole Spiced Tempeh pieces with creamy grits

2. Rosemary-Roasted Tofu Cubes

3. Upper Caribbean creamy grits with roasted plantain pieces

4. Spicy Smothered Green cabbage

5. Sweet Coconut-ginger creamed corn

6. Roasted Rot Vegetable ital Stew

7. Baked BBQ Black-Eyed peas

8. Sweet Cornmeal Coconut Butter Drop Biscuits

9. Coconut Pecan Pralines

How about we do November 12th and/or 13th Bryant Terry cookbook day? This way we have plenty of time to get ingredients, prep, etc...

message 30: by Rachel (last edited Nov 03, 2011 03:15PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Farrah and Lisa, I love these ideas!

Farrah's list of 9 items in message #29 is fantastic, but I must admit, it is too much for me.

I need a simple, concise homework assignment, and Farrah's message #23 (with only 4 items) fits the bill just fine for me! I will try to buy the ingredients for these tonight and make them this weekend (Nov. 4-6).

1. Cajun-Creole Spiced Tempeh pieces w/creamy grits. Page 10

2. Sweet coconut-ginger creamed corn Page 108

3. Sweet cornmeal-coconut butter drop biscuits Page 158

4. coconut -pecan pralines Page 193

If I am successful, then I will try to tackle the "extra credit assignment," which would be the other 5 items listed in Farrah's message #29. My plan is to go for the "extra credit" during the Nov. 11-13 weekend.

I have to do it this way, because if look at that list of nine things, I get overwhelmed and give up. But four things ... yes, I can handle that. :)

And Farrah, thank you so much for looking through the cookbook and coming up with the assignment! That's exactly what I needed to get started. :)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments And Bryant, thank you for commenting.
I added your new book to my "to-read" list !

The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus

Lisa and Lee, is this book in your vegan cookbook list yet?

message 32: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (new)

Rachel, It is listed for the group. I guess I will add it to my own shelf,yes.

Those 4 recipes sure have a lot of corn and coconut. ;-)

message 33: by Rachel (last edited Nov 03, 2011 03:32PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Hey, fewer ingredients is okay by me ... hopefully it will make grocery shopping that much easier! "Ten coconuts and one bag of corn, please. Yup, I'm done, ring me up!!!"

Although I realize we should typically try to get a more varied diet, LOL! Well, I'm sure the recipes have other ingredients in them, too. :)

Farrah | 212 comments Ok I will make the Cajun Creole Tempeh this weekend and maybe the biscuits and post our little assignment on the blog! This is so much fun. It's like virtual breaking bread together in a way :)

message 35: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
I'm not sure yet which recipe I will make first, maybe the spicy cabbage. I know I have one lurking in the fridge.

emszy | 60 comments Can't wait to see how all your recipes turn out! I am travelling to Venice next week so won't be able to participate but look forward to all your dishes!

Farrah | 212 comments Oooo Venice....the city of bridges. So beautiful. I have these little hand blown glass peppers on my windowsill in my kitchen that I bought in Venice and every time I look at them I think..... Some day I am going back!!!

message 38: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Have fun Emmy!

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments Farrah, I've got some questions, I wonder if you or any of our more experienced chefs can help answer?

1) I have coconut oil (in solid form, in the pantry), but I don't have "coconut butter." Can they be used interchangeably? (Also, should I be refrigerating the coconut oil, or not?)

(The sweet coconut-ginger creamed corn calls for Coconut OIL, awesome! But the sweet cornmeal-coconut butter drop biscuits and the coconut-pecan pralines calls for Coconut BUTTER. Drat!!)

2) The coconut pecan pralines call for 2 Tbsp dried unsweetened coconut. I don't have any dried unsweetened coconut, and I don't want to buy a whole bag just to get 2 Tbsp. SO! I looked in my pantry, and saw that I do have some "Sweet & Sara mini marshmallows, vanilla flavor" (vegan of course). I opened the bag and tried a few, and they are sweet like dried coconut, in a way. So I wonder ... do you think it would work if I substitute these vegan marshmallows for the dried coconut?

And I think I am only going to make those three things (the cornbread, the pralines, and the creamed corn) this weekend, because I got way too overwhelmed looking at and printing out all the parts of the Tempeh Grits recipe. The recipe itself takes up two full pages, and it includes ingredients that are from THREE OTHER RECIPES, TOO (Bryant Terry's creamed cashews, homemade almond milk, and Simple Stock) .... which comes out to more than five pages, just for one recipe, and that is way beyond my ability right now. :) I might get ambitious and decide to make it next weekend. :)

Farrah | 212 comments I am making the biscuits too and just chilled the cococnut oil. I think he said some where in the book that oil/butter are interchangeable. I hope so lol. So we will both have the same turnout in that way lol

As far as dried cocounut for the marshmallows...hmmm...different consistencies. You might get smooshie prailines, do you have dried cranberries? try dicing some of those up or raisins? it will change the recipe but I don't know how the marshmallows will melt you know?

message 41: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Rachel, I can answer at least one of your questions. :-)

You don't need to refrigerate coconut oil. It will be solid or liquid depending on the temperature of your house.

I just finished making and blogging about the Spicy Smothered Green Cabbage. Very good and easy!

Farrah | 212 comments OMG THAT WAS SO GOOD!

Farrah | 212 comments I cannot wait to have the biscuits for breakfast tomorrow!!

message 44: by Mands (last edited Nov 06, 2011 09:51PM) (new)

Mands (MandsS) VSK is such a good cookbook! Everyone should try the black-eyed pea fritters, the Ital stew and the BBQ sandwich with coleslaw (I made it with mushrooms instead of tempeh) and the Cajun Creole tempeh & grits (again I used mushrooms in place of tempeh).

message 45: by Lisa, Vegan Cookbook Reader (last edited Nov 06, 2011 10:43PM) (new)

Mandee wrote: " and the BBQ sandwich with coleslaw (I made it with mushrooms instead of tempeh) and the Cajun Creole tempeh & grits (again I used mushrooms in place of tempeh). "

Oh thank you, Mandee. Great idea for me given that I adore mushrooms and dislike tempeh. Thanks!

message 46: by Rachel (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:36PM) (new)

Rachel (petalpower) | 393 comments I made the biscuits yesterday, too.
I didn't have whole wheat pastry flour, so I subbed a combination of spelt flour, rye flour, and kamut flour. I still used the unbleached all-purpose wheat flour for the other half of the flour. And of course I used the cornmeal. Everything else I believe I made exactly according to the recipe, except that I used coconut oil instead of coconut butter.

I did find out there is a difference between the two (coconut butter has coconut "meat in it", whereas coconut oil is just the oil) ... I then looked for coconut butter per se, at Safeway, but didn't find it, so I just used the coconut oil that I already had, per Farrah's advice.

Here are some links to the difference between coconut oil and coconut butter.

http://www.artisanafoods.com/products...

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthread...

Anyhow ... yes, I liked the way my Sweet Cornmeal-Coconut Butter Drop Biscuits (Page 158) turned out. My boyfriend and I had them this morning for breakfast, they were good, heated up in the microwave for maybe 10-15 seconds, then with some Earth Balance vegan buttery spread.

Also, I liked that they were pretty easy to make! Just sift the ingredients together, then rub the coconut oil in, and then pour the wet ingredients in ... stir, and then plop the dollups of dough on the cookie sheet. By the way, I thought the uncooked dough tasted delicious, too!

When I was getting started with this project, I remembered that our oven stopped working several months ago ... well, it didn't 100% stop working, it just started acting really weird, so that I couldn't count on it for the temperature anymore, and I had some failed baking projects because of that. Well ... no, wonder I haven't been baking as much lately! DUH! I keep forgetting that the oven doesn't work. So I was reluctant to take a chance and perhaps ruin these biscuits. And then I remembered, WE HAVE A TOASTER OVEN! We've got one of those big ones that is large enough for four slices of toast or a small pizza.

So I made the biscuits in the toaster oven, set for 425 degrees, and they turned out great. The first batch I baked for 10 minutes, and they were a bit over-cooked. The second batch I baked for 8 minutes, and they were perfect. :) (The instructions say to bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. 10 minutes was definitely too long in my toaster oven.)

I have the ingredients for the creamed corn and the pecan pralines (except I'll be making them with vegan marshmallows) ... I am planning to make them tonight, we'll see how it goes ... !

Thanks for getting me started on this, Farrah. Also, Mandee, thanks for chiming in with your favorite recipes from Vegan Soul Kitchen. I will be sure to prioritize those and check them out. The Ital stew was one of the ones that Farrah picked out, too.

Farrah | 212 comments I made the Black Eyed Pea baked beans last night and they were delicious!! Really a meal in themselves. I am going to try to get the blog post up tonight. I had them as a side with the cabbage, which was SO perfect and a little Gardein pulled pork with the biscuits. It was like the perfect southern-style meal to accompany our day of football. And the Giants rocked another win!!!!!!! :)

Mands (MandsS) Farrah - aren't they the best? Now I want more!

Lisa wrote:
"Oh thank you, Mandee. Great idea for me given that I adore mushrooms and dislike tempeh. Thanks"

You're welcome, Lisa! I almost always use mushrooms in place of tempeh/tofu and it seems to work out well :)

Farrah | 212 comments I just posted some more photos of VSK nosh on the blog. The cabbage was so yummy!

message 50: by Lee, Unrepentant Eggplant Addict (new)

Lee | 1017 comments Mod
Yeah, that cabbage rocked!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vegan Soul Kitchen: Fresh, Healthy, and Creative African-American Cuisine (other topics)
The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bryant Terry (other topics)