Valar Morghulis--Valar Dohaeris discussion

The Red Keep > GRRM Interview/Q&A at

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 762 comments Found this and thought it pretty interesting:

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (TheNightOwl) | 79 comments Thanks for posting this!

When we saw him in NY he had just finished writing the Blackwater episode. He was so excited about it.

Do you know when the second season begins?

message 3: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 762 comments I'm thinking April..

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 258 comments On magic: "Many fantasy writers work out these detailed systems, and rules, and I think that's a mistake.

For magic to be effective in a literary sense, it has to be unknowable and strange and dangerous, with forces that can't be predicted or controlled. That makes it, I think, much more interesting and evocative. It functions as a symbol or metaphor of all the forces in the universe we don't understand and maybe never will."

I like that quote, and I think that GRRM does a helluva job walking that tightrope between mysteriously undefined magic and a magic that has no frame or rules in a bad way.

message 5: by Chris , The Kingslayer (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 762 comments I liked that too, Becky. A lot of the modern fantasy does try to explain the hell out of the magic systems. Sometimes I think it works well (Sanderson), but other times it doesn't make the story better.

Gandalf never explained how he did stuff. It just happened. Merlin, same thing. And both of them could get by most of the time without doing any magic because it was the perception of what they might do that made people tread lightly with them.

unread topics | mark unread