Ask Lisa See! discussion

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
This topic is about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
What did you think of the movie?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 93) (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (last edited Oct 26, 2011 02:35PM) (new)

Patrick Brown | 1 comments Mod
Now that the movie adaptation of Snow Flower is coming out on DVD (November 1), I think it's an appropriate time to ask what you thought of the movie? Have you seen it? Did you think it was a faithful adaptation?

message 2: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse I saw the movie in the theater when it was first released. The book was MUCH better. I'm not just saying this to make Lisa See feel better---or because I am a 'book-snob'.

Many times ---I think I am 'fair'...and will credit a movie --even when I loved the book. If I think the movie was 'pretty close' ---authentic enough to the book---and I enjoy it---I'm easy!

However--I was really bothered by the movie version. It had a 'cheapness' to it (slutty feeling) which I never picked up on in the book.

PopcornReads (goodreadscomPopcornReads) | 1 comments I loved the book but didn't get to the theater to see it before it was gone. I'm looking forward to seeing it on DVD or when it comes to cable.

I was surprised by how quickly it disappeared from the theater. Maybe its release wasn't timed well. The trailers looked wonderful!

Lisa See is one of my favorite authors so, if it was faithful to the novel, I can't imagine why it was so short-lived in the theater.

message 4: by Cassandra (The Huge Anime Fan) (last edited Nov 01, 2011 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cassandra (The Huge Anime Fan) | 1 comments Haven't seen but have read Snowflower and the Secret Fan. So very sweet and sad.

I'm planning to watch soon and have mentioned on my blog that it's wonderful that's been made into a movie.

I'm somehow glad I'm not the only one who hasn't seen the movie. Thanks! for the invite Patrick.

message 5: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy Verboncouer | 1 comments Loved the book - didn't get a chance to see the movie.
Would love to hear from Lisa how she did her research for this book.

Carole I was surprised and disappointed the movie didn't come out in my city since I live in a big city. I'm hoping to see it on dvd...it comes out today!

Rebecca (bellacarta) | 3 comments I haven't seen the movie yet - I will definitely pick it up this weekend?

Patricia I wanted to see the movie as I enjoyed the book, but it was not shown in my area. Then I read a review which basically said the movie was very faithful to the book & was a disappointment. Wondering what others (who have seen the movie) think about this?

Rick F. | 1 comments While I have not seen the film, it is my hope that the movie is not damaged like so many other great literary novels adapted to screen by more of an interest in the cast and "star appeal" than in the intrinsic merits of so very a fine a novel. My hope is that Lisa's book will receive the screen treatment it so very much deserves. The story should be the star.

Arlene Hayman | 1 comments I loved the book, so I eagerly awaited for the movie to play at the theaters. However, to my great disappointment, the movie never came to our metropolitan city, so I have yet to see it. I shall look forward to renting the DVD very soon! Lisa See is one of my favorite authors, and also being Asian, I love the way she immerses Chinese culture into her stories.

Shomeret | 3 comments I thought the movie was actually a different work that should be judged on its own merits. I enjoyed the performances in the movie and the way the contemporary and historical story lines flowed into each other.

message 12: by gratia (new)

gratia | 1 comments The cinematography is spectacular. The last scene of the movie is nicely done. I think it signifies the perpetuation of the tradition of "Lao Tong", although I have never heard of the term "Lao Tong" before reading this book and know of no one who is carrying on with this tradition. I don't feel the "cheapness" or "slutty" in Elyse's comment, but I do think the sex scene is unnecessarily long. I do admire Lisa See's meticulous and in depth research in her novels, including this one.

message 13: by Cyd (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyd | 3 comments I'll add this to my netflix right away. I loved the book.

Alienne | 3 comments I can't wait to see the movie. I flipped out when I saw the trailer!

message 15: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse I also admire Lisa See's meticulous depth in research. Her novels are a reflection of her work.

"The Shanghai Girls" was an excellent historical fiction. Many people knew about foot-binding stories before the book "Snow Flower" (the powerful theme done well), --yet many 'mainstream' American's living today still don't know of the story told in "The Shanghai Girls",---- more "meticulous research", by Lisa See, (and an engaging page-turning story)

message 16: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Again...(just my opinion) --I wasn't a fan of the movie "Snow Flower". No big deal--it just didn't engage me-- (I didn't even feel the casting was right). Plus, it needed much more editing. (way too long). (enough said)

If people enjoy the movie: WONDERFUL...."enjoy"!

Matelasser | 1 comments I am anxious to see it. I have gradually come to realize that the visual story (film) has to be different from the novel to effectively tell the same story. So I will try to keep an open mind.

message 18: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat | 4 comments I live in rural western New York, and of course the movie never played in our area. I am going to get the DVD.

I understand Lisa will be in Naples, Fl. in March for a Friends of the Library event and I'm hoping to get a ticket since I will be there visiting.

Kathy | 2 comments I selected Snow Flower as my book club choice this month because I loved it so much when I read it. Should we wait to see the movie before discussing the book, or will it help foster discussion of the book's themes?

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa I read the book and absolutely loved it, and was really excited to see the movie. I'm sorry to say I was disappointed in that it is very different and barely touches on the topic of binding feet, which I felt was a huge part of the book. If I hadn't read the book I probably would have liked it more.

message 21: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I read the book with my real world book club. We occasionally as a group go to movies made from books we've read, and we meant to get to this one, but we never managed it. We all really liked the book. I'll probably eventually rent the movie.

message 22: by Erssie (last edited Nov 02, 2011 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erssie | 1 comments Patrick wrote: "Now that the movie adaptation of Snow Flower is coming out on DVD (November 1), .......time to ask what you thought of the movie?''

I have not seen this movie. However, in general, I nearly always think a book is better than a film. It does not ruin my enjoyment of a film though, I always try and read a book first and then I hope to see someone capture the essence of it whilst always holding in my mind the idea that the book is the whole, and the movie is the smaller part.

If I have not read a book and see the film first, then it usually encourages me to go and read the book. I have seen bad movies (mainly classics) before and still enjoyed the book.

I will be very interested to see this film, so must get hold of it. I really want Lisa See to write something of this sort of theme again. Her research is so thorough, but her own cultural background really sloughs away that 'colonial' type of aspect you can get when an author writes of the Far East etc. I want to imagine what it might be like to be born somewhere else, sometime else. I don't want to be a tourist, I want to be those characters, live in that time and place, and I really feel that Lisa See is able to do that for me.

Margie Olszewski (Margie_Olszewski) | 1 comments I have not yet seen the movie, but loved the book. It is not an easy thing for a movie to measure up to the book. I'm looking forward to seeing if this movie does that.

message 24: by Merlee (new)

Merlee | 4 comments I was so disappointed with the movie. I wanted to spend time in Snow Flower's world, and it seemed the contemporary story dominated the movie. Snow Flower is one of my all-time favorite books, and I could have accepted a movie less than the book, but this left me longing for more Lily and Snow Flower, not just "flash backs".

Jennifer LaFollette | 1 comments I saw the movie and was very sad. I was so excited for this one and it was a definite bust. I thought Wayne Wang would have done this more justice but the plot was confusing and I had a hard time even following the movie and I even read the book! It got a unanimous two thumbs down by critics and viewers. I hope she gets a chance to do another movie but after this one it's hard to see.

message 26: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma | 1 comments İ adored the book and enjoyed the movie but i must admit i found the book so much better. İ stayed up all night to read it. İ wish there would have been more about Snow Flowers world in the movie the modern day story line wasn't as enchanting or facinating as the historical one.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary | 1 comments I loved the parts of the movie that were directly from the book. I would think that the modern portion of the movie might have made it appeal to a broader audience, who would then get to experience the parts that were from the book. This is one of my favorite books of all time.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (LFrog1386) | 32 comments Erssie wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Now that the movie adaptation of Snow Flower is coming out on DVD (November 1), .......time to ask what you thought of the movie?''

I have not seen this movie. However, in general,..."

I completely agree that Lisa transports you to that place and makes you feel as if you were born there!

cindy stenzel (cindy1944) | 1 comments I agree with Schomert's post that the movie and book should be judged independent of each other. I thought the movie was a beautiful adaptation of the book.

Leanne | 2 comments Having watched the movie, I was disappointed to hear the director say he didn't like "period pieces". (It's in the film extra's on the DVD).
He only liked contemporary pieces. That shows in this film making. I felt that there was more emotion and explanation in his modern China story and the "book" part of the film was as if it was an after-thought and very rushed. Quick flash-backs. If you had not read the book and just saw the film, I think you'd be wondering what it was all about :(

message 31: by SEY (new) - rated it 4 stars

SEY (literarylovavore) | 1 comments The books are always better than the movies especially good books like these. Just watch the movies to enjoy the show otherwise you get too frustrated. Its nice to see pictures of the real places that are the setting of a story.

message 32: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa See | 81 comments Mod
What did I think of the movie? First, I was so thrilled to see it get made, and there are certain scenes that I realy love. But a film is not the same as a book. It can't possibly be the same. As you know, the director, Wayne Wang, added a modern story. Some people like it. Some people don't.

message 33: by Lisa (new) - added it

Patrick wrote: "Now that the movie adaptation of Snow Flower is coming out on DVD (November 1), I think it's an appropriate time to ask what you thought of the movie? Have you seen it? Did you think it was a faith..."

What did I think of the movie? First, I was so thrilled to see it get made, and there are certain scenes that I realy love. But a film is not the same as a book. It can't possibly be the same. As you know, the director, Wayne Wang, added a modern story. Some people like it. Some people don't.

message 34: by Lisa (new) - added it

Meagan wrote: "I still have to see it. I don't live near any movie theaters that had it, but I'm supposed to get the DVD on my birthday next week.

I saw the official trailer, and it was pretty. My friends who ..."

The film opened in limited release. In some cities it only played for a day.

message 35: by Lisa (new) - added it

Elyse wrote: "I saw the movie in the theater when it was first released. The book was MUCH better. I'm not just saying this to make Lisa See feel better---or because I am a 'book-snob'.

Many times ---I th..."

Don't worry about being a book snob. We're all book snobs here!

message 36: by Lisa (new) - added it

Joy wrote: "Loved the book - didn't get a chance to see the movie.
Would love to hear from Lisa how she did her research for this book."

I did research in every way you could imagine. I looked on the Internet, spent time at the UCLA Research Library, went to China to the area where the nu shu women wrote, and interviewed lots and lots of people.

message 37: by Lisa (new) - added it

Shomeret wrote: "I thought the movie was actually a different work that should be judged on its own merits. I enjoyed the performances in the movie and the way the contemporary and historical story lines flowed in..."

I agree with you in the snse that a film is always different than a book. I think they should be judged -- and enjoyed -- differently.

message 38: by Lisa (new) - added it

gratia wrote: "The cinematography is spectacular. The last scene of the movie is nicely done. I think it signifies the perpetuation of the tradition of "Lao Tong", although I have never heard of the term "Lao Ton..."

What sex scene? The one with Snow Flower and the butcher?

message 39: by Lisa (new) - added it

Pat wrote: "I live in rural western New York, and of course the movie never played in our area. I am going to get the DVD.

I understand Lisa will be in Naples, Fl. in March for a Friends of the Library eve..."

How fun that you'll be in Naples. I look forward to meeting you. Make sure you come up and say hi.

message 40: by Lisa (new) - added it

Kathy wrote: "I selected Snow Flower as my book club choice this month because I loved it so much when I read it. Should we wait to see the movie before discussing the book, or will it help foster discussion of..."

Seeing the movie will definiately change the nature of your discussion about the book. So I guess it depends whether you want to focus on the themes in the novel or the differences between the nove and the film.

message 41: by Lisa (new) - added it

Theresa wrote: "I read the book and absolutely loved it, and was really excited to see the movie. I'm sorry to say I was disappointed in that it is very different and barely touches on the topic of binding feet, ..."

There isn't very much in the film about footbinding, true. But do you think you could have watched a ten minute scene with bones cracking and children sobbing? I think that would have been much harder to take than reading that scene, which seemed to be very hard for a lot of readers.

message 42: by Lisa (new) - added it

Erssie wrote: "Patrick wrote: "Now that the movie adaptation of Snow Flower is coming out on DVD (November 1), .......time to ask what you thought of the movie?''

I have not seen this movie. However, in general,..."

I really appreciated what you wrote at the end of your post. I really try to be in the room with the characters. I don't feel like a visitor. I don't want readers to feel like visitors. I don't want to make judgements. I want readers to make their own judgements.

message 43: by Lisa (new) - added it

Merlee wrote: "I was so disappointed with the movie. I wanted to spend time in Snow Flower's world, and it seemed the contemporary story dominated the movie. Snow Flower is one of my all-time favorite books, an..."

For those who haven't yet seen the film, if I tell you that there's a scene with Hugh Jackman singing and dancing, then you'll know that, yes, there have been major changes to the story.

message 44: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Lisa wrote: "Theresa wrote: "There isn't very much in the film about footbinding, true. But do you think you could have watched a ten minute scene with bones cracking and children sobbing? I think that would have been much harder to take than reading that scene, which seemed to be very hard for a lot of readers. "

Yes, reading it was nearly unbearable (and sent me researching where I found some highly disturbing photos) and seeing such pain on film is always harder for me than reading it in a book. That goes for scary or sad or otherwise disturbing content. But, it was such a crucial portion of the book, it's too bad it's not in the movie.

Jessica | 1 comments I think that the movie took so much away from the book. Honestly, the modern story line seemed to take precedent over Snow Flower and Lily's. I did not like the parallel nor found it to be necessary or even a beneficial supplement to the novel's story.

I went with my best friend, who absolutely adores all of Lisa See's novels and was so excited for a movie adaption, and we both found the movie to be disappointing. If it had another title I wouldn't have even realized that it was supposed to be based on Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I really wish it would have simply followed the plot line in the novel, we loved all the Lily and Snow Flower scenes.
I 100% agree with Merlee.

Amanda | 1 comments I loved the book so much and I'm goona watch the movie as soon as i can find it somewhere to rent, but I might just buy it :)

Yolanda Carruthers | 7 comments author:Walter Isaacson|7111]
Book "Steve Jobs"

Yolanda Carruthers | 7 comments Am reading this book now on my Kindle, 20% into it. How are other readers liking it?

message 49: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Clark | 1 comments Loved the book, but my friend and I both found the movie confusing with too much time spent on the contemporary parts of the plot. We missed the emphasis on foot binding that was such an important and interesting part of the book. The movie was shown only at our small local art film theater. I'm currently reading Dreams of Joy, and have also read Shanghai Girls, and Peony in Love. I really enjoy Lisa See's writing!!

message 50: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 2 comments I'm sorry I couldn't enter the discussion yesterday, but I loved the book and will watch the DVD when available to me. As usual not many movies match the book in enjoyment but I'll withhold judgment.
Love all Lisa See's book.
sue

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nicholas Sparks (other topics)